Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

IUA14 wrote: »
    I think you may have listened to something else or taken it the wrong way, they both said obviously they miss Ann about the old show and miss having her around...they also explained why she couldn't come with them...but their point was that they don't miss the old show or TodayFM, in fact they said the only thing they do miss was Ann and sleep.

No, I did listen to that. I know they said that they do miss Ann, but that's what Ray said: "obviously I do miss Ann...to a certain extent..."

But maybe I did just take it the wrong way or am reading too much into it :) I just thought it was an odd way to say it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think where Ray may have been coming from was that Ann wouldn't suit breakfast. He said that she suited Today FM, and suited lunchtimes. Which is 100% true.

I took what he said to mean that she wouldn't fit in as well to such a tightly formatted show where it's just moving from one bit to the next to the next.

But at first I did think Ray sounded a bit cold towards her. But I'm just going to assume he was talking solely about the radio show and not their personal lives.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The reasoning Ray gave on the podcast for Ann not coming over was she was going through treatment for cancer at the time and the early morning slot didn't suit her. Nothing to do with the format.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Loughc wrote: »
    The reasoning Ray gave on the podcast for Ann not coming over was she was going through treatment for cancer at the time and the early morning slot didn't suit her. Nothing to do with the format.

Well he also said "Ann suited Today FM. And Ann suited lunchtimes on Today FM."

I think that meant the format, not just times tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Well he also said "Ann suited Today FM. And Ann suited lunchtimes on Today FM."

I think that meant the format, not just times tbh.

Probably just a format thing, and what she was going through at the time, would have been difficult.

I kind of worry here that there is such a hang up about the Today FM, and I know the people here would be the hardcore fans but Ray even alluded to it in one of the podcasts recently, people seem fixated on the old show and the segments and people. I think if he brought the same shows and people to 98 it would be bad, shows needs to evolve not go back to what it was.

I apprciate the people here miss the old show which was brilliant, as was the blast before that, but 98 is so different as is the Dublin market, I cant see the station giving them anymore free reign as hoped for in a few posts. Prizes and competitions provide a hook and drive interest, but these shows always have a similar format. They are trying to appeal to a new audience too, small increases in ratings over time are good signs but I wonder where they are aiming to be? Having said that I think if anyone could work outside the lines it would be Ray.

Anytime I listen I feel a bit frustration that Ray is being held back by the format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Interesting to hear on the podcast only bit today Ray discussing 2FM and that he was approached to see if he was interested in moving but chose never to follow it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Interesting to hear on the podcast only bit today Ray discussing 2FM and that he was approached to see if he was interested in moving but chose never to follow it up.

Think that's common knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

MrMac84 wrote: »

I actually never knew that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Well in podcast he says that they asked him not to discuss it so he didn't. The whole thing came up because D'Arcy had discussed it openly at the time and Ray was giving out that presumably RTE would have asked him not to as well

Yeah I dont recall him ever speaking about it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've never heard ray confirm that he was approached by 2fm before. I mean there were rumours but that offer sounded ****e but then 2fm was a mess around that time. I'm happy he didn't go to 2fm.

During the chat with Adelle on the podcast today talking about highlights and Ray made comment about "show success" that he would consider highlights, do you think he was talking in general terms when he said "the show surviving another year...beyond the contract..." or anyone reckon their contracts are up at 98FM next year? Either way I reckon they will stay for another couple of years, but interesting tidbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Think their contract is probably up around November as it'll be three years since the move to 98 then. I can see them staying for another year or two anyway, unless they plan on moving on themselves. I can't see 98 doing better with any other breakfast show, unless they bring over the FM104 lads (and Adrian and Jeremy's JNLR ratings probably prove that there's not any real point in doing that).

What're the odds on JP coming back from Rome with some major news I wonder... :P

Doubtful, but 5 months with someone for JP seems to be a good 2 years for normal people so who knows!

Great podcast today! Glad Adelle is doing it with the lads!

Doubtful, but 5 months with someone for JP seems to be a good 2 years for normal people so who knows!

Great podcast today! Glad Adelle is doing it with the lads!

Yeah Adele is actually class. Her and ray get on really well. This might be the first time adelle and Ray have done the podcast on their own as normally if ray is off jp is so no podcasts.

Listening to the show podcast part of today's show it seems that ray will completely be flying solo on Thursday as deeno is getting married kind of.

Ah lads, Carly Rae Jepsen. <3

She sounds so lovely.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Ah lads, Carly Rae Jepsen. <3

She sounds so lovely.

Just listening to it now. She does seem so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

The Jepsen interview was fine, to my surprise. I thought she'd be a complete bimbo but she was ok and sings well live.

With the podcast only bit returning the quality has doubled. The only problem now is that i want to stop listening once the show itself starts! But i'm a longtime Foley fan so i can't help but hear the whole thing.

Edit: they've changed the 98fm website... can't access the podcasts from the last year of Foley's Today FM show any more :(

• Advertisement

Happy JP is back next week, Ray on his own has been solid but he needs someone there to bounce things off and sound like he's enjoying himself.

On the 98FM website, I like the new site but it still seems a work in progress with a lot of links not working on pages so hopefully they add all the podcasts because right now they only have the last 7 or so shows on there!

Foley presenting the 7 O'Clock Show tonight on TV3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Is there any way of getting a link to the feed of the podcasts? I don't use iTunes, and I used to be able to add it to PocketCasts, but I can't find it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

hopefully they add all the podcasts because right now they only have the last 7 or so shows on there!

I'm glad you said that, I thought I was being an eejit by not being able to suddenly find them. I had to go through my browser history to catch up with myself!

I sent them an email about it and they said:

"We are going to pass this over to our tech team to look into straight away.

Thanks for highlighting it."

So my guess is it was a mistake and hopefully they rectify it!

Congrats to Ray and the team on a huge award!

New York Festivals® International Radio Programme Awards

Dublin’s 98FM: The Ray Foley Show picked up a Silver award for Best Special Event for their Naked Breakfast broadcast last November. They also earned a Finalist Certificate for the same broadcast in the Best Innovative Show category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

Dublin’s 98FM: The Ray Foley Show picked up a Silver award for Best Special Event for their Naked Breakfast broadcast last November. They also earned a Finalist Certificate for the same broadcast in the Best Innovative Show category.
    Fair play to them. They really deserve to be on the national airwaves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Anyone in the industry knows that's a pay to win award, it's the special Olympics of broadcasting, a private company runs it and almost every entrant wins a prize as well as having an excuse to expense a trip to NYC

I've criticised RTE for 'buying' the same awards am not singling out this show alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Good thread here that gives two sides to those awards.

Well I guess Dermot Whelan didn't pay enough for his award? Its a pay to enter award but that doesn't delegitimise it entirely. Oscars anyone?

Also, Special Olympics of broadcasting? REALLY? Wow!

• Advertisement

98FM fixed the podcasts so they are all back on the website now from the last two years at TodayFM aswell! Pain in the ass to get to...lot of scrolling!

Also interesting to hear in the podcast-only bit today Ray mention that they "are talking about a personnel change on the show but can't go public on it yet" until they "write a one-pager". I wonder what or who that will be...an addition or change of role for someone...Deeno maybe?

Advertisement