Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I'm losing all my friends, I just cannot deal with things. I hate feeling everything so much. sick of being down. sick of feeling like i'm a **** person, but it appears to be true. i'm tired of having nobody I can trust. I'm just here. there's nothing more than day to day surviving, hoping that bad things won't happen, so i do just get on with aiming to wake up tomorrow. there isn't any reason. i think it's just standard for people to try convince you there is one. but really, for me there isn't. it's just surviving. it's not living, good things just don't happen to me.

Pretty much this.

I'd usually try to say something like ''things will get better'' etc,but I'd have a hard time convincing myself about that right now,never mind another person like yourself who is feeling so low.

Just feel so bloody down and low right now,haven't talked with anyone face to face properly about how I'm feeling since my old psychologist left back in October.Have seen the psych doctor since then but I'm in and out with her in 5/10 mins and we don't really talk about anything else bar how I think my meds are doing.

Think I'm going to go to the Aware daytime meeting tomorrow in town,just to vent my feelings if nothing else.Nothing to lose sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Just feel so bloody down and low right now,haven't talked with anyone face to face properly about how I'm feeling since my old psychologist left back in October.Have seen the psych doctor since then but I'm in and out with her in 5/10 mins and we don't really talk about anything else bar how I think my meds are doing.

Think I'm going to go to the Aware daytime meeting tomorrow in town,just to vent my feelings if nothing else.Nothing to lose sure.

is there nobody else you can see (since your old psych)? Aware might be good for you, to get it out there anyway. have you been before?

No,the HSE aren't replacing him,he gave me a list of phone numbers for other counsellors to try, but I can't really afford private counselling at the moment.Plus,I hate talking on the phone,especially about that type of thing.

I've been to a meeting once before,just after I was diagnosed nearly a year and a half ago and it went ok.Just feel like I need to talk to someone who might even slightly understand whats going on in my head right now.

oh. that's bad. i take it you're not on a medical card, or private insurance so?

yeah sure go, no harm. I didn't find them much use, but it depends on what you're looking for.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm going to give it another go,can't do any harm really.Not going to make me feel any worse anyway.

I dont qualify for the medical card apparently and have no insurance.The very nice girls in the chemist where I get my prescriptions filled out forms to get me a drug payment scheme card,but that only caps the amount I pay for my scripts at €120 a month or something like that,which isn't much use really cos my scripts usually only cost between €60-€80.They were free until last November.

It's expensive being crazy I guess!

you'd think that something that could stop someone causing themselves harm would be not classed as a luxury by the state. it makes me mad, but i can't think about it too much.

let us know if you feel any better after the session tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Firstly Im not sure if this is in the wrong section, if it is, sorry, please move

Ok, so about 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with depression (after about 2 years of the missus telling me to get it sorted), we are a family of 4, about to be 5 in a few days, am over the moon but i seem to be stuck in a rut and im getting nowhere and Im no support at all to my wife. Im turning everything into an argument and what I dont turn into 1 ends up as one cause we are both so highly strung at the moment.

Shes in hospital at the moment, only minor but still, a few days short of delivery date never makes things easy and Im at home with the vomitting bug minding the kids and I cant offer any support, I know where Im going wrong but I just cant stop it, I dont think Im a selfish person in general but im in a world of self pity at the moment.

The last argument was over me being tired while looking after the kids (in my head right now, im trying to defend myself but I know I should be just keeping stum to make sure shes as relaxed as possible) This is the one time I really need to be there for her and Im bitching to myself that shes not here (not physically) for me.

Thats me done for now, I really hope in the next few hours I can get my head sorted out cause its killing me that I can put her in such a bad mood.

Oh, and when was there an elephant in winnie the pooh (I wont even go into the whole thing of christopher robin being replaced by a girl called darby), its on repeat in the house at the moment.

Cheers

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

What do you all make of support groups?

I've gone to a couple of meetings over the last two years. I found the attendance locally to be very patchy however it was a chance to speak out loud whatever issues were bothering me.

I've found a few of my old anxiety/low mood issues have slowly increased over the last few months and am considering attending a meeting again

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

There's one on tonight , I refuse point blank to go .

I dont understand how listening to people as distressed as me will help , and id just feel guilty burdening the others there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

just not a good day today. and needed to to say it:(

feel like I'm drowning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Firstly Im not sure if this is in the wrong section, if it is, sorry, please move

Ok, so about 4 weeks ago I was diagnosed with depression (after about 2 years of the missus telling me to get it sorted), we are a family of 4, about to be 5 in a few days, am over the moon but i seem to be stuck in a rut and im getting nowhere and Im no support at all to my wife. Im turning everything into an argument and what I dont turn into 1 ends up as one cause we are both so highly strung at the moment.

Shes in hospital at the moment, only minor but still, a few days short of delivery date never makes things easy and Im at home with the vomitting bug minding the kids and I cant offer any support, I know where Im going wrong but I just cant stop it, I dont think Im a selfish person in general but im in a world of self pity at the moment.

The last argument was over me being tired while looking after the kids (in my head right now, im trying to defend myself but I know I should be just keeping stum to make sure shes as relaxed as possible) This is the one time I really need to be there for her and Im bitching to myself that shes not here (not physically) for me.

Thats me done for now, I really hope in the next few hours I can get my head sorted out cause its killing me that I can put her in such a bad mood.

Oh, and when was there an elephant in winnie the pooh (I wont even go into the whole thing of christopher robin being replaced by a girl called darby), its on repeat in the house at the moment.

Cheers

M

that is a very good thing, you are challenging your own which you have said yourself selfish thoughts! the next thing is to calm down and try not to lose the rag or score points with the missus. you love her, you are going to be a father again soon concentrate on that if it makes you feel good. also accept that making her feel good = you feeling good, then try hard not to get into silly arguements over silly things. stand back and ask yourself is this good for anything or both of us to be arguing over this and proceed as needed, from what you have said it will be difficult to do this but remember...if she is less stressed she feels better = you feel better :)

depression is all about knowing your triggers and adapting yourself and surroundings to dealing with these when you are not feeling so good. listen to the dialogue of what you are saying to yourself *this is a general point not aimed at you specifically :)

do you find yourself saying "I cant do that" "ah..Im stupid I should have.." "there they are.. idiot :(, should have known they were there! :mad:"
    things like this are negative and not good for the head, it chips away at confidence and self worth, these ones are more obvious ones but its the more subtle ones that get through undetected and do the most damage.

so try to learn to listen to your thoughts and 'catch' your self thinking negatively about yourself. then analyse it and see how can be changed and if it was justified and so on, you get the idea..

depression beater here :) Ive been through the **** these last few years and would happily trade with most people who are diagnosed with depression or who even think they have problems now and heres why

first was having difficulties with college [a normal thing, wait for it it builds..]

then a big car crash - out of college, grants all fcuked up - stress - injuries and so on.

then went back BAM! diagnosed with MS multiple sclerosis can hardly walk anymore 20 meters or so is my limit with a crutch, cant stand for long 10 minutes, constantly off balance, sex life out the window, women need to do more cant be that alpha male anymore in the bedroom. was very fit athlete before this and even then didnt feel life was for me..anyway. I have been VERY close to killing myself this last year.. to the point of major depression and hospitalisation in a mental hospital for weeks. mUCH better with that now thanks! :), and considering how pointless I viewed life as before and being suicidal at times then dispite being super fit and strong and healthy I am AMAZED and SOOOOOOOOO pround of how I have dealt with this massive change to my life. what I wouldnt give to have my old life back again, to just walk without having to look at the ground in front of you and like you are down a steep hill. to make eye contact with the person who is walking beside you as you talk. you get the idea :(

if you cant see a way out of the forest then you cant find your way out
    and if you dont know why you keep getting lost, you cant start to find the path out.

think about it. think what really matters. you only get one life. this is not a rehearsal. you need to die trying and NOT while giving up!

now there are going to be a at least a few people who are going to diasagree with this, and fight it, and say but you have no idea blah blah

it is going to alot harder for them to find their way out of their forest, but it can be done it will just be harder for them. but it probably wont if they dont change something about their personality and general perspective on life and what matters and why and all the rest - these people are the most resitant to change so thats another hurdle..anyway try it YOU'RE WORTH IT !

to the others? go for it, build relationships, deeper ones, trust yourself think and analyse, it will take time, but its worth it isnt it?

you only get one life. I would probably kill for your health and levels of normality, I can hardly sit up out of bed for long, like I say I will be getting a wheelchair soon a powered one btw, parts of my body constantly ache, and are clumbsy now. all my friends were athletes like me, I had to leave them, was too painfull to stay knowing my life was changed massively and theirs just carried on as if nothing had happened! :(

make me feel less jealous of your life and relative normality, if some of you can earn that health and fitness which I dont have now but lots of you posess. basically you dont know how **** things can be REALLY! regardless if you have it **** now, be assured I would trade places with you warts n all. If you already have MAJOR health problems then less so..but Im pretty sure I would trade MS for ANY OTHER ILLNESS!!! - terminal cancer included :(

Ill enjoy what time I have left to enjoy.

Im free in many ways, free of the general life BS BECAUSE I DONT LET IT AFFECT ME!!!!! and thats the key. your perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Gillo wrote: »
    Well, I think it's written by Dante??? is that a start?

Milton:)
    I'm still no further on with the study. So much for burying my head in the books:rolleyes:

On a more positive note, I've reached out a bit more to those around me and have made some decisions that, although difficult, are crucial to getting myself into a more positive frame of mind.

I feel another downer coming on.what can I do to stop it? I know what its from,as pathetic as it is,but I dont know how to stop it getting to me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I feel another downer coming on.what can I do to stop it? I know what its from,as pathetic as it is,but I dont know how to stop it getting to me

Make an appointment with your psychiatrist or GP (depending on which you have) and work out with them what your options are.

havent slept in like 2 days now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Im doing ok these last few weeks, sleep and anxiety is much better.

nesf wrote: »
    Make an appointment with your psychiatrist or GP (depending on which you have) and work out with them what your options are.

Thanks. I just mean a bit of a downer mood, ya know, the usual. well before it happens it's hard to tell how bad it'll be. so far, not too bad. i'm going to see my psych tomorrow. well, i'm going to the clinic tomorrow to see if she'll see me, she may only make an appointment for me.

put in another month like the last 3 or just take one minute . I know which appeals most and the sad part is that wont change

• Advertisement

Was down the clinic this morning,in n out in 5 minutes,few things scribbled down on my file and a script until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

been depressed since i was young was at a normal nice level first time in 8 yrs and all of a sudden doctor decides 2 take me off my tabs ( i am long term on them) but they do help me in all fairness i dont want to go back to square one and i have 2 kids and a husband to look after i was ok am anxious now thought being take off them and put on new ones i feel happy and my doctor i can understand i have to come off them but am scared :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 quicksnap

i'm not sure if there are such things as 'attacks' of anxiety. but this is what i'm experiencing, quite badly at the moment. I'm not sure whether to make an emergency appointment with my counsellor (who is all booked up at the moment) or what to do, to see a doctor. what can a doctor even do for anxiety? Also, it's not easy for me to go to either, i would feel that i would be wasting the counsellors time and even last time I went to the doctor he told me my flu was 'not that bad', I wouldn't be able to take it if he said such a thing about my mental state right now. I have a counselling session in 2 weeks time, I don't think I can wait this long, I feel I am losing my grip on reality

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

quicksnap i would see your councellor no you wouldnt be wasting anyones time at end of day they are they to help you, try take a walk listen music try take your mind off it, i personally just listen music it works for me i hope this is helpful i have been there u will be ok :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Was down the clinic this morning,in n out in 5 minutes,few things scribbled down on my file and a script until April.

Don't you just love when you feel like a visit has been worthwhile....not.

I'm fed up completely.

I went to my psychs office today (first day back since Christmas) to see if I could see her as an urgency. She told me if I was having difficulty with the increase in my meds to come back to her. They have slots every day the clinic is running for emergencies, so I assumed I'd get one of those.

After I told the secretary I didn't have an appointment her face turned to almost anger at me being there. I said I wanted to see my psych some time today if possible. She said oh she's gone.

She asked why I didn't call them instead of calling in, because another doctor can see me but they won't have my notes :confused: I told her I was never given any number to ring. Everything was done with a hint of anger at me.

She seemed to make a big deal over the doctor having seen my notes, although as to why they've to study them before I get there is beyond me. So I just said another time will do. and guess what, the only free time any doctor has is next Thursday. A ****ing week away! It's a psychiatrist office!! what does someone have to do to get an emergency appointment!!

I'm so sick of this whole thing! when i saw my doctor before Christmas she gave me a letter to go to the psych casualty in the nearest hospital, but I couldn't go. the way the system is you'd either be ignored anyway, or strapped down to a bed.

Almost 9 months I've been waiting. And that's for a person who's admitted to feeling suicidal. no wonder the suicide rates are so high in the country.

Almost 9 months I've been waiting. And that's for a person who's admitted to feeling suicidal. no wonder the suicide rates are so high in the country.

don't worry . you're not the only one feeling like sometime soon you're going to be a statistic :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Stupidusername, if you think you need to see someone right away about the change in your meds, would you consider going to casualty this time? I've had to go a few times before (albeit involuntarily) and it does help to talk to the psych on call if you need to, even if you have to wait a while to see them. They will be able to sort out your meds and all if it needs to be done, and might be able to refer you to one of the community nurses or something. Just show them the letter from your psych when you go in and it'll explain it for them. Don't just be a statistic, there's a way out *hugs*

And a *hug* for you too Kaching.

Stupidusername, if you think you need to see someone right away about the change in your meds, would you consider going to casualty this time? I've had to go a few times before (albeit involuntarily) and it does help to talk to the psych on call if you need to, even if you have to wait a while to see them. They will be able to sort out your meds and all if it needs to be done, and might be able to refer you to one of the community nurses or something. Just show them the letter from your psych when you go in and it'll explain it for them. Don't just be a statistic, there's a way out *hugs*

And a *hug* for you too Kaching.

Can you please tell me what happened when you did it? there's something about it putting me off and i just need to know what it involves.

• Advertisement

When I was brought in by my dad last year I was seen by the psych on call for a good 40 mins or so,he asked me lots of questions and actually seemed to listen too,then he talked to my dad for about 15 minutes about what my behaviour was like.

He gave me some meds to help me relax,serquel I think they were called,and he arranged for the community nurse from the mental health clinic to visit me the next day.She was very nice too.

If you decide to go or if you don't,I hope you feel better soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement