Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

stinkle wrote: »
    Im in a bad way :( yesterday was lovely and I was busy and got to see lots of people. I shoukdnt have had anything to drink as it hasn't helped my anxiety this morning. Its as bad as it was yesterday but with added sore head and upset stomach. I'm afraid to take a xanax if alcohol is still in my system (I didn't drink much and had lots of food but I guess my body isn't right at the most). I'm excited but anxious about holiday too, I'm also not looking forward to being under scrutiny as I don't intend to drinknow that I know how awful I'll be (family wedding so lots of people offering to buy rounds etc).

I'm also dreading work tomorrow but have a fire in my belly to get things done re:bullying and bringing my project to completion. I'll try not to worry about bit till tomorrow.

Lots to do today, just hangover puts a dampener on it. I'm gonna shower and have nice food then do nice things. Exercise is helping me lots, ive no class to go to but might go for run or buy those weights ive been meaning to get. Not sure can I face the in laws later, I'll see if the thoughts of staying home make me feel better. Not able to be 'on' and chatty right now. Our own wedding planning is well under way too and I can't face any (well meaning) questions/suggestions/interfering just now.

Friends and oh still being great. I think now that I've seen a doc we're all taking this more seriously and that's a good thing.

you would want to give up the drink.............it baffles me how people cry anxiety and depression when in fact this is one big enabler in how they feel..........................4 years off the drink this coming august, make the first step dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I hope you didn't mean any harm, but FYI I'm not "crying" anxiety or depression. As it happens I don't drink an awful lot anymore (even a small amount gives me a hangover, which happened yesterday). As a result I'm very aware of how unhelpful stuff like alcohol exacerbates this condition in general.

My problem with forthcoming trip is being put in stupid Irish situations of "ah sure you'll have one", then nosing as to why I'm off the booze (as a woman people looking at your stomach when you say that you dont want a drink gets really old very quickly). In dealing with my anxiety I'm not looking forward to being in those situations, esp when one reason I intend to abstain is that I may need to take meds that have scary side-effects when mixed with booze. I wouldn't think twice about giving up entirely for the same duration of the trip if I was sat at home living my normal life, it's another thing putting up with question/comments/"knowing" looks drawing my attention back to my anxiety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

I hope you didn't mean any harm, but FYI I'm not "crying" anxiety or depression. As it happens I don't drink an awful lot anymore (even a small amount gives me a hangover, which happened yesterday). As a result I'm very aware of how unhelpful stuff like alcohol exacerbates this condition in general.

My problem with forthcoming trip is being put in stupid Irish situations of "ah sure you'll have one", then nosing as to why I'm off the booze (as a woman people looking at your stomach when you say that you dont want a drink gets really old very quickly). In dealing with my anxiety I'm not looking forward to being in those situations, esp when one reason I intend to abstain is that I may need to take meds that have scary side-effects when mixed with booze. I wouldn't think twice about giving up entirely for the same duration of the trip if I was sat at home living my normal life, it's another thing putting up with question/comments/"knowing" looks drawing my attention back to my anxiety.

Why do you do it then if it benefits you in no way and are aware of what it brings

I never said it doesn't benefit me, only that it can make a situation worse if I'm already going through a bad time. If you read the sentence before the one you bolded that explains it but here it is again: By not drinking much lately it becomes more obvious that it can cause problems when I am also feeling bad anxiety at the same time. If I was boozing all day every day it wouldn't be as obvious. The same goes for bingeing on crap food, or neglecting to get enough sleep, or not having a chance to exercise as much - too much negative stuff and not enough positive puts the body out of whack and is a recipe for disaster for those with pre-existing anxiety issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I never said it doesn't benefit me, only that it can make a situation worse if I'm already going through a bad time. If you read the sentence before the one you bolded that explains it but here it is again: By not drinking much lately it becomes more obvious that it can cause problems when I am also feeling bad anxiety at the same time. If I was boozing all day every day it wouldn't be as obvious. The same goes for bingeing on crap food, or neglecting to get enough sleep, or not having a chance to exercise as much - too much negative stuff and not enough positive puts the body out of whack and is a recipe for disaster for those with pre-existing anxiety issues.

So true there Stinkle. It's a hard cycle to get out of though.

• Advertisement

yeah, totally - especially things like comfort eating, and preferring to laze in front of the TV instead of going out for some exercise. If you're already very low then the sheer effort of eating properly/getting up can be really tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Why do you do it then if it benefits you in no way and are aware of what it brings

Perhaps you misunderstood stinkles post.?

Alcohol , poor diet, lack of exercise , disturbed sleep all have an impact on an individual's mood ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Been hit very hard this past week. Told a friend in the same boat and she was really helpful and urged me to go to a youth mental health service is town. I know she's right but I've been before and felt like I wasn't taken seriously by them so it's hard to make myself go again. Just took my measurements and weighed myself after three weeks eating clean and working out like mad. Progress was far from what I expected so that's another blow to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Whirlwind of emotions today. Confused to say the least.
    Im slightly falling for someone and pretty sure he is same way. Albeit maybe just physical chemistry. Why do I feel guilty.

Im single 2 years its so stupid i feel I'll hurt ex if i do anything.

I don't know if its guilt because i think i am not attractive / worthy enough to be deserving of such attention.

I know its not entirely in keeping with this forum but i know some good people here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

handbagmad wrote: »
    Whirlwind of emotions today. Confused to say the least.
    Im slightly falling for someone and pretty sure he is same way. Albeit maybe just physical chemistry. Why do I feel guilty.

Im single 2 years its so stupid i feel I'll hurt ex if i do anything.

I don't know if its guilt because i think i am not attractive / worthy enough to be deserving of such attention.

I know its not entirely in keeping with this forum but i know some good people here.

What struck me about this post is how the barriers you are placing in front of yourself.. It's two years since your ex, I'm pretty sure that they would expect you to move on at some point.

As for your sense of self worth, that takes some effort to quieten the little belligerent voice in your head.. Try not to think too far ahead with this person while you are with them.. If you have worries set aside a time when you're on your own for them.. Live in the moment with them if you can. Let whatever shape this is going to take happen it's own way.

Disclaimer: this is just my feeling on what you have asked, as I have no relationship experience so don't take it as fact.. :$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

****e night and day...had to make the dreaded phonecall to the boss. First day I've had to do it this year and yet I feel about half an inch tall. Failure, waste of space, what will people think? When the reality is, people will probably think nothing.

Why is it so hard to give ourselves a break?

neemish wrote: »
    ****e night and day...had to make the dreaded phonecall to the boss. First day I've had to do it this year and yet I feel about half an inch tall. Failure, waste of space, what will people think? When the reality is, people will probably think nothing.

Why is it so hard to give ourselves a break?
    Go easy on yourself. I spent a lot of last week thinking "if only my leg was broken" - I'd get a rest, not have to face work and not feel one bit guilty. Just cause you can't see your illness doesn't make it less important and isn't anything to be embarrassed about.

I know I'm one to talk, be we're our own worst critics really. Feel better soon.

What struck me about this post is how the barriers you are placing in front of yourself.. It's two years since your ex, I'm pretty sure that they would expect you to move on at some point.

As for your sense of self worth, that takes some effort to quieten the little belligerent voice in your head.. Try not to think too far ahead with this person while you are with them.. If you have worries set aside a time when you're on your own for them.. Live in the moment with them if you can. Let whatever shape this is going to take happen it's own way.

Disclaimer: this is just my feeling on what you have asked, as I have no relationship experience so don't take it as fact.. :$

thanks grem. I think its just the unknown. Im over complicating it in my brain.
    Been 10+ years since I've been on the dating scene.
    I suppose they don't need to know my past just to have a coffee right.?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Waiting on a call to see if I'll be admitted to psychiatric unit as I'm on so many meds and need to come off them...dunno what to think but I feel awful

Do you feel awful cos of the meds or the thought of going to the hospital? Hope whatever happens today you start to feel better in yourself

Go easy on yourself. I spent a lot of last week thinking "if only my leg was broken" - I'd get a rest, not have to face work and not feel one bit guilty. Just cause you can't see your illness doesn't make it less important and isn't anything to be embarrassed about.

I know I'm one to talk, be we're our own worst critics really. Feel better soon.

Thanks a million, I'm trying to say the same things to myself. If I had a physical illness and 24 hours rest would make it even a little better, there would be no problem in the world!

Finally starting to relax, and to take some time to chill

ah great - take it easy. A job is just a job and a day away is no big deal. If youre feeling awful would it really be a good idea to have gone in? You said it was the first time in a year you had to take time off cos of this, I'm sure there's a heap of coworkers who have taken waaay more time over less important stuff.

A really good mate was so sweet to me last week and pointed out that often when we feel the need to take time out we really should have done it two weeks earlier! Be good to yourself and have a nice rest.

Me today - emmm not so bad. Got up early to get something important from the office I hate working in. Im trying to avoid people there. Felt anxious on my way, stopped by home as it was too early to go to the other office and I had a longer nap than I should have, but feel I needed it. Anxiety is gone for now. I feel like the emotions of the past few days have left me feeling like I've been hit by a train. The last time I remember being so pooped was after a funeral.

I made contact with a confidential service in work which allows us to discuss conflict issues with a trained person. They just got back to me there yay. Can't do it till next week, but it's an extra level of support that I'm gonna use. Am going to make an appointment today with therapist for when I get back from my trip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

So after getting extra time to hand in my personal circumstances form my meeting with the counselor today resulted in my realising actually I had to get a doctor's note. Went to the surgery to be told come back after (doctor there was only getting caught up on paper work and was about to leave for a funeral). So went into town and did a bit of a shop to kill time (and also 'cause I need food :P) and came back out around three. Then the receptionist said because I hadn't been in a while I would need to see the doctor first and she wasn't available until Thursday which would be too late for me to get my form in. Ready to pack it all in I explained it to the receptionist and, thank God, she typed me up a letter and got it signed by the doctor who was there. My head of department wasn't in his office so slipped it under the door and emailed him to let him know. Hopefully, now, I can actually leave the college for the last time and not come back like someone who sat their final year exams is meant to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Had a few funky days here but am gonna try to get back to normal tomorrow.

Really do not know if im coming or going the last few days.
    Very restless, and actually down for the first time in a few weeks.

Excuse my language but its just a c**t the way the moods creep up and sometimes we dont catch them early enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

God does anyone have anxiety about work I a so afraid was not admitted the other day but seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow at 9 and I am so anxious I need to be at work but I have severe anxiety there and my manager said I was 'unwell' there last week....I HATE being off and I know I can't be in work but I have to...and I am so afraid....I'll feel worse doing whatever. I think I would prefer to be admitted to hospital at this stage, I actually feel suicidal

Note to self do not set any expectations... set yourself up for failure
    Most inadequte excuss for a human being ME!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Pinkstars and handbagmad, I am in a **** place too tonight. I'm clinging to the mantra 'this too will pass' not that I believe it currently but repeating it to myself is at the very least distracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Good Morning Folks,

I have been posting here for approximately 18 months .

Over that time I have made new friends and received much support.

I am withdrawing from the thread for the foreseeable future . It is time to move on.

Thank you all so much for your inspiration and kindness.

Wishing you all a safe journey through life.

Very sincerely

del.

Good Morning Folks,

I have been posting here for approximately 18 months .

Over that time I have made new friends and received much support.

I am withdrawing from the thread for the foreseeable future . It is time to move on.

Thank you all so much for your inspiration and kindness.

Wishing you all a safe journey through life.

Very sincerely

del.

Best of luck Del, and mind yourself

I think at different times we need different things from life and from boards, and am glad that you're able to do what you need to do to keep yourself well.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭adr1984

Hi everybody up until this week I never really knew what anxiety attacks really were, so reading through this thread for a while and it dawned on me that I suffer from them since I first accidentally locked myself into a tight room when i was a child. So I made an appointment to see my GP for today and came home with some tabs and exercises to do once a day. I would like to share with everyone what way to do these "passive relaxation exercises" so here goes:

@POSITION
    The patient should lie on his back on a wide couch or fairly hard bed with a small bolster or pillow under the head and shoulders and a small pillow or cushion under the knees; arms by the side, elbows half bent,hands half closed, knees slightly separated-that is, all joints so far as possible in semi-flexion.

@RELAXATION IS OBTAINED AS FOLLOWS
    1.Feet, knees and legs - imagine them falling or rolling outwards by their own weight.
    2.hands and arms - by imagining them falling away or out of the shoulder girdle as though the did not belong to you.
    3.Shoulders - by thinking of them as opening backwards and outwards.
    4.Head - imagine head sinking into, or making a dent in the pillow.
    5.Eyelids - imagine them half closing by their own weight.
    6.Face - imagine flesh on the face as hanging from the cheek bones.
    7.Jaw - letting it hand loose.
    8.Back - imagine it sinking through the couch.

Give about 2 minutes to each group and take them in the same order each time.

@BREATHING
    Let the chest wall collapse with its own weight on breathing out (expiration) and pause for 2 seconds (or until the need for a new breath) at the end of the expiration. Get a further feeling of relaxation by letting all the joints give a little more with each outgoing breath. This should be done about 6 tomes. Note the sequence of strain of sensation in the limbs - usually heaviness followed by lightness or floating, faint, transient pins and needles in the hands; feeling of warmth passing frequently experienced when sun bathing. Any tendency to direct thinking should be deliberately diverted into a day dream, for example,by imagining a situation which would normally associate with being pleasantly relaxed.

@GENERAL SUGGESTION AND ADVICE
    Although the relaxation exercises may be practised regularly, it is best to set aside a particular time each day for their practice. Although the exercises induce a state from which sleep readily follows, especially if one is tired, they will be found most helpful if practised a time other than that which immediately precedes retiring for sleep. The sense of the passage of time is frequently lost and in order that one may not neglect other commitments, it may be found helpful to use a kitchen timer or alarm clock to limit the time set for relaxation. On completing the exercise there may be feeling of lassitude and sleepiness which will pass if the patient is encouraged to give himself a good hard stretch, imitating the manner in which an animal stretches on rising form sleep.

Will miss you del.
    lovely person and always a kind word and advice.
    Be kind to yourself and take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭adr1984

Forgot to mention, the tabs I will be taking only on the days I really feel like ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shystrawberry

Hi everyone. This is my first post :P

Today I cut myself after months of staying clean (I hadn't cut since December). I'm not even sure what triggered it...it just sort of happened.

I hope this is ok to talk about here....I just bewildered and upset. I thought I had broken free from self harm. But it seems not..not yet anyways

• Advertisement

Hi everyone. This is my first post :P

Today I cut myself after months of staying clean (I hadn't cut since December). I'm not even sure what triggered it...it just sort of happened.

I hope this is ok to talk about here....I just bewildered and upset. I thought I had broken free from self harm. But it seems not..not yet anyways

Welcome to the thread!

Think of it this way...you got to May 22nd without harming yourself. Well done! Now see can you start again and next time, it will be six months.

What helped you in December not to cut?

OK day, not as good as yesterday. But much much more settled than last weekend. Alot of anxiety still hanging around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement