Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

More Lithium (1400mg o_O) = much improved mood + much worsened side effects. Bleh. I can put up with the side effects though, they're not intolerable once I don't let myself go without fluids for too long (i.e. 2+ hours).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

nesf wrote: »
    More Lithium (1400mg o_O) = much improved mood + much worsened side effects. Bleh. I can put up with the side effects though, they're not intolerable once I don't let myself go without fluids for too long (i.e. 2+ hours).

What sort of side effects are you talking about? Is Lithium very hard to get off when your on it? I have social anxiety and I always thought that I felt down because of that and not because I'm depressed but after getting off effexor I've found my anxiety to be similar but my mood has gone way down.
    1400mg seems like a lot but you find it very helpful even with the side effects? Sorry for the questions, I could search it on google but I've found that there's lots of scary stories for all drugs online so prefer not to read them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

All the little things I was worried about never came to pass anyway. Work thing got postponed, something I was helping with was grand, and the family thing I was worried about was totally minor in the end. Got a call from my folks late last night which put me on edge and I let the "I'm coping" mask slip. Now I'm embarrassed about that as they were worried about me and the stupid concern was totally groundless.

I've been v v tired and out of sorts. I've been told I have low iron in the past so thought a tonic might help and it sort of is. Both me and my OH felt unwell yesterday so a bug may have gotten to us.

The big anxiety has gone but I'm a bit drained or something from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Saw someone I didn't wanna see worse again there were across from my house thats me indoors for the day with my hateful mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi guys,
    Talking myself out of going to a psych.
    I'm scared to go back to my doc and say I haven't gone to one.
    So I'm thinking maybe not go back to my doc either.
    I can't see any of this working.
    Nothing is going to change.
    It's all unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    It's all unreal.

If things don't change they stay the same!

Trust me it can work for you. Why not give it a chance?

You are driving the bus here, so it is up to you to start the engine and commence your journey on the road to recovery.

Please go meet the psych.

Go forward, no reason to look back.

Please go for it , you owe it to yourself.

You are very important to us.

Time to get yourself moving.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Perhaps you can update us on your progress, please?

Sincerely,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Just wanted to say hi nesf, havent seen you post in a while :)
    Lithium effects can be tough but you seem to be able to manage them ok.
    Its a great drug to lift the mood just need to be carefully monitored on it.

Today better day for me. Just finished a big(huge) steak and broccoli...my body must have been craving Iron.

Back to Therapy+cbt tomorrow,,, hope it goes well

What sort of side effects are you talking about? Is Lithium very hard to get off when your on it? I have social anxiety and I always thought that I felt down because of that and not because I'm depressed but after getting off effexor I've found my anxiety to be similar but my mood has gone way down.
    1400mg seems like a lot but you find it very helpful even with the side effects? Sorry for the questions, I could search it on google but I've found that there's lots of scary stories for all drugs online so prefer not to read them. Thanks.

Lithium is fine to get off of. Nearly all the drugs are. The only issues I've had were with Effexor and Seroquel and both passed after a few weeks and those were migraines for the former and a bunch of odd things like intense itching for the latter.

Lithium side effects are very much dose dependent, as your blood level (amount that is free to circulate in your blood) increases you have more and more intense side effects. The trick is finding the balance between improved mood and side effects, or more bluntly what the patient will tolerate for a given amount of improved quality of life. The side effects I get are things like headache, hand tremors, hand pain, "gastro-intestinal stuff," increased thirst and similar.

High doses of lithium are where the side effects are, they're mostly as far as I can work out, only used with bipolar. Low doses of lithium combined with an antidepressant seem to be used with depression occasionally but usually at a dose that wouldn't cause "classic" lithium effects like tremors (e.g. I see people talking about being on 200mg of Lithium, I don't remember feeling many side effects until after 800mg). There are a lot of "scary" lithium side effects but usually you don't need to worry about them unless you're being treated for bipolar and being put on a lot of it.

I hope that helps.

handbagmad wrote: »
    Just wanted to say hi nesf, havent seen you post in a while :)
    Lithium effects can be tough but you seem to be able to manage them ok.
    Its a great drug to lift the mood just need to be carefully monitored on it.

I'm more fond of its ability to keep mood down! :P

I don't have the tremor too bad, I've known people who suffered much more with it. I'm fairly lucky that way. :)

I'm more fond of its ability to keep mood down! :P

I don't have the tremor too bad, I've known people who suffered much more with it. I'm fairly lucky that way. :)

You are fairly lucky alright although I was settled on 800mg so side effects werent too bad at all for me only the increased thirst.

Hated having to go for blood tests though to check the levels was like every two- three weeks. Off it now a while but it helped an awfull lot when I needed it.

Hope all is well besides...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

Lithium is fine to get off of. Nearly all the drugs are. The only issues I've had were with Effexor and Seroquel and both passed after a few weeks and those were migraines for the former and a bunch of odd things like intense itching for the latter.

Lithium side effects are very much dose dependent, as your blood level (amount that is free to circulate in your blood) increases you have more and more intense side effects. The trick is finding the balance between improved mood and side effects, or more bluntly what the patient will tolerate for a given amount of improved quality of life. The side effects I get are things like headache, hand tremors, hand pain, "gastro-intestinal stuff," increased thirst and similar.

High doses of lithium are where the side effects are, they're mostly as far as I can work out, only used with bipolar. Low doses of lithium combined with an antidepressant seem to be used with depression occasionally but usually at a dose that wouldn't cause "classic" lithium effects like tremors (e.g. I see people talking about being on 200mg of Lithium, I don't remember feeling many side effects until after 800mg). There are a lot of "scary" lithium side effects but usually you don't need to worry about them unless you're being treated for bipolar and being put on a lot of it.

I hope that helps.

Yeah thanks, very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Hi guys,
    It's all unreal.

Hey Phil, I did the same thing, the psych referred me to a psychologist, but when the day came I just wasn't up for sitting down with someone talking about myself. I feel bad about it now, so just going to be truthful when I go back to the psych.

What is it that you don't want to go if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Having a weird few weeks every since I finished college. Just feel like I'm floating around and getting angry at the least little thing. I changed back to Mirap as the Lexepro wasn't doing it for me.

I'm in one of those 'why bother' type of moods, and snappy at everybody. I'm doing exercises and walking a lot more but nothing can seem to change my mood. Just hope it passes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

phi what is your fear about going to the psychiatrist based around?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Wickers26

I used to suffer from crippling anxiety a few yrs ago and now it's returning. I just broke up with my gf whom I've been living with and lost my job. I have nothing now, I lost all my friends because of the nature of my work. I haven't felt this lost in a long time, I used to be the kind of person to shrug it off and get on with it but I feel like giving up. I hate feeling like this. Trapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hey Phil, I did the same thing, the psych referred me to a psychologist, but when the day came I just wasn't up for sitting down with someone talking about myself. I feel bad about it now, so just going to be truthful when I go back to the psych.

What is it that you don't want to go if you dont mind me asking?

I'm always terrified of one to one's. And I can't talk about myself. Just can't. Never could. I cam't even imagine talking to a psych. It seems so alien to me.

I'm always terrified of one to one's. And I can't talk about myself. Just can't. Never could. I cam't even imagine talking to a psych. It seems so alien to me.

Psych's by profession are brilliant at creating the right atmosphere to have a one to one chat.

Please give it a try , you will be surprised how easy it is.

Promise, much less painful than visiting the Dentist.

Go for it!

Wickers26 wrote: »
    I used to suffer from crippling anxiety a few yrs ago and now it's returning. I just broke up with my gf whom I've been living with and lost my job. I have nothing now, I lost all my friends because of the nature of my work. I haven't felt this lost in a long time, I used to be the kind of person to shrug it off and get on with it but I feel like giving up. I hate feeling like this. Trapped.

No giving up friend.

Depression is a war. Soldier you need to prepare yourself for battle on a number of fronts.

You are well able to take on the challenge.

Firstly be easy on yourself. A visit to your GP for a check up and chat would be well advised for any soldier before going into battle.

Then analyse the aspects of your life you need to sort out in priority order. Work on them one day at a time.

You shrugged off things in the past which I believe have shown your resilience . You can beat this

Wishing you well on your road to recovery

Nothing like a walk in the rain to make you feel alive.

I know I looked like a mental case
    don't care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I hate when people shut me down. I start to open up and get things off my chest and then what I'm saying is cut short with 'Be Positive!' and an eye roll.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I hate when people shut me down. I start to open up and get things off my chest and then what I'm saying is cut short with 'Be Positive!' and an eye roll.

Been there , understand what you are saying. Respectfully others cannot understand what you are going through unless they have been in the same position.

Keep posting here. Get whatever is bothering you off your chest. You are amongst like minded people here.

Take good care of yourself. You are worth it !

handbagmad wrote: »
    Nothing like a walk in the rain to make you feel alive.

I know I looked like a mental case
    don't care :)

Well done on going for a walk in the rain.

Isn't it refreshing, just to feel the rain on your face. It is therapeutic.

These are the free things in life we very often don't appreciate.

I guess lots of people may have looked at you in envy.

Walking in the rain for me is better than a visit to a Day Spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Feeling deeply depressed and distressed at the moment and yet again I feel tempted to self harm but I'm trying to fight it.

Has anyone here experienced sleep paralysis? I think I experienced it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

What could I do that would make me feel better today.....hmmmmm....first night out last night in 3years, it was a fundraiser for my niece and all my old friends turned up....when the **** hits the fan, you know who your friends are, that's for sure! Gonna keep I'm contact now and not leave it as long for the next meet up. What people are saying to me at the moment really is my life is not a life sentence and that it's there to be lived, I am not even living my life, so am half people have been blunt and told me how it is...I love the support on this page and knowing I can come on here and say what's on my mind, helps so much, xx

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Oh and my psychiatrist told me just to get on with things, to get back to work, stop letting the anxiety and 'feel the fear and do it anyway' sort of thing....I think it's easy for her to say but maybe she is right I fear I can't do anything at the moment but if I just got up off my fat ass and tried it might be a very different story!!! Going back to work after being so distressed with anxiety and panic there the last time I was there, heading back on Thursday, any tips??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Oh hey compulsions, so nice of your top ramp up not my depression back. Just before the exams which determine the level of degree I get as well. Wonderful...

Suas11 wrote: »
    Feeling deeply depressed and distressed at the moment and yet again I feel tempted to self harm but I'm trying to fight it.

What is sleep paralysis?

If you are feeling depressed , distressed and considering self harm, please get to your local A+E asap. They will be able to help you.

Be kind to yourself please

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What is sleep paralysis?

If you are feeling depressed , distressed and considering self harm, please get to your local A+E asap. They will be able to help you.

Be kind to yourself please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I'm not feeling quite so bad now.

I have regular appointments in OT and I have an appointment next week with my psychologist so I guess I'll be able to talk to them about it.

Suas11 wrote: »

Friend of my gets it from time to time but never experienced it myself. Sound fairly nasty though.

I'm fairly sure I have Exploding Head Syndrome (yes that's the real name) which means I get auditory hallucinations just when I'm about to drift off to sleep. Don't get it as bad as I used to but flipping irritating when I do.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, after a few months of denial after trying to come off anti depressants I've finally agreed with my psychiatrist that I need to be on medication long term, it took me a long time to accept this but I finally have, so I'm on 20mg lexapro for over 2 weeks now, in those two weeks my anxiety and mood has worsened, went to the out of hours doctor last week and was given diazapam but it hasn't helped at all, my anxiety is getting worse and I can't even leave the house now without getting a panic attack, I'm due to go back to work Tuesday but I'm so worried about it cause I made so many mistakes last week at work, I just feel totally at a loss, I don't get sick pay and I've used all my annual leave on sick days already as well as taking days unpaid , just can't cope with the anxiety and palpitations, feel like I'm out of control, do ye think it would be worth going to the doctor for a script for xanax as I know that worked before but I don't want to go down the road of taking benzo's, I'm already totally anti medication but feel like I've no way out of this situation, thanks for reading and thanks for any advice in advance, hope ye are doing well

I can't give advice in regards meds not being on them but why are you anti-medication? They don't work and aren't necessary for everyone but they can be a great help to those who do need them. Taking meds for mental health issues is no different to taking them for other health issues. I used to have to take medication every day for my Crohn's disease and no-one ever batted an eyelid at the idea of that so why should being taking medication for mental health be any different? I don't necessarily feel it should the first port of call for all patients but it shouldn't be disregarded completely either. Like I said I don't know enough about medication to give specific advice but doesn't normally take 6 weeks to start working?

I finally told my mum about my depression last night. Went well. I didn't expect it to go badly I just never knew how to bring it up. We somehow gone on to counseling and therapy last night though and I told her I'd been to a college counsellor and took it from there. So glad to have it off my chest. Didn't mention the compulsions but only because I want a clear cut diagnosis before I do and don't yet know if I'm moving country or not so don't see point starting the process of diagnosis and treatment if I might have to start over in a month or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement