Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Do you find that alcohol affects your depression? I can't have two Kopparbergs without the mood crashing down afterwards

im actually very frightened to drink now. I have a very low tollerance the past few years, no doubt due to medication

I really enjoyed a few glasses of wine every now and then but cannot do it anymore :( not worth the low afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I'm not much of a drinker either but it's frustrating that when I actually do drink that it affects me so.

Do you find being busy in work is usually distracting you from troubles or stressing you out more?
    chicken/egg situation with me. If I'm stressed before work or have something stressful looming I'm terrible at focusing and feel worse. Otherwise the work is a good distraction.

better day today than yesterday
    very proud I managed a good 4mile walk today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

stinkle wrote: »
    chicken/egg situation with me. If I'm stressed before work or have something stressful looming I'm terrible at focusing and feel worse. Otherwise the work is a good distraction.

Yeah the lack of focus can be disastrous at work.
    handbagmad wrote: »
    better day today than yesterday
    very proud I managed a good 4mile walk today :)

Way to go with the walk. I had a walk myself too today. Felt good to be out in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I quit drinking recently. Didn't find it affected me but just didn't enjoy at all anymore. Also once or twice I did drink because I felt **** and that's never good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Can I just ask what being anxious actually means? I think I've a different idea of what it is than the true meaning. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Trying to convince myself that today was a relaxing day, not a lazy did feckin nothing day. Back to work tomorrow, two shifts and off for a week..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Can I just ask what being anxious actually means? I think I've a different idea of what it is than the true meaning. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

That's a difficult question, different things, and sometimes no things can make a person feel anxious, tense up and feel on the verge of panic. It's not something that can be easily described as it's fairly personal, but with me for example, i freak out if i have to go for a meal with a group of people i don't know well.. Generally i get physically tense, my arms in particular, i breath faster and get a tightness in my chest and feel like running away.. I have made many, many excuses over the years to avoid these situations because i can get physically sick with nerves over it, but that's only one time i feel like that, a lot of situations can rattle me like that..

Trying to convince myself that today was a relaxing day, not a lazy did feckin nothing day. Back to work tomorrow, two shifts and off for a week..

Any plans for the week off G?

Any plans for the week off G?

No not really, just chill out. Might pop over to england to see a mate.. Reading and walking mostly..

• Advertisement

No not really, just chill out.

I'm fond of just chilling out myself too.

That's the plan if i can manage it.. Have a pile of books on the kindle, full box of teabags. Hopefully my brain won't derail me too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That's the plan if i can manage it.. Have a pile of books on the kindle, full box of teabags. Hopefully my brain won't derail me too much..

sounds healthy although i have coffee bags as i hate tea and library books. no kindle.

champing at the bit to get some craft work done. has been a month since the broken wrist now. maybe something simple today...was managing until the k wires slipped

but hey; winter is back so can snuggle down with a book or a film here on youtube.
    enjoy and heal...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sud1

I have been signed out of work for the past number of months and I now have to go for a review with illness benefit doctor..have any of ye been in position and how did it go..did ye get you benefit get stopped or were ye declined..I have been reading that they decline nearly everyone to get them to appeal..
    thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have my psych appointment on monday at 10.30am as usual but I'm supposed to have an exam starting at 10am. I could reschedule it but i haven't seen her in 3 weeks and I'm really not feeling good at all so id like to see her so i don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

sud1 wrote: »
    I have been signed out of work for the past number of months and I now have to go for a review with illness benefit doctor..have any of ye been in position and how did it go..did ye get you benefit get stopped or were ye declined..I have been reading that they decline nearly everyone to get them to appeal..
    thanks in advance

Hello Sud, I had to go for one a few years ago, I was nervous about going, but my GP said its just the normal course of things, nothing changed afterwoods.

In Ireland I think its all fair and above board, in the uk you hear of terrible stories, where they have private companies doing the health checks, and they get paid for disallowing claims.

Good luck, though I'm sure you'll be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

My latest diagnosis is Type 2 Bi Polar. I am on Epilim and have to say I am doing really well. Hang in there people.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Gonna make a doc app this week hope I can get it tomorrow because the way I am I wont sleep tonight thinking on it.. I am actually going to doc to see when's a referral for op on throat. . But I know shel ask why I kept putting off app for councillor while am there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

It's my 21st birthday tomorrow, instead of looking forward to it all I can do is remember how I wanted to kill myself on my 18th and I hoped that things would be better by now but they're not.

It's my 21st birthday tomorrow, instead of looking forward to it all I can do is remember how I wanted to kill myself on my 18th and I hoped that things would be better by now but they're not.

Add a few years and you sound much like me.. I'm trying to make room for the thoughts in my head without paying them too much attention. Have decided that trying to banish a thought before it happens is a bit like trying to stop water flowing.

Stay posting on here if you feel down, no sleep for me tonight so you'll have company if you're feeling on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

My best friend committed suicide 2 days after my birthday nearly 4 years ago she was 19 I missed her call.. my birthdays are never good aswell Am 23 this year.. happy birthday to you and try enjoy it

Hmmm. I feel confused, mood is down today. Even though im doing exercise. Though it is supposed to help!!!

Trying to keep the goodside out.

Fighting like f*ck.

handbagmad wrote: »
    Hmmm. I feel confused, mood is down today. Even though im doing exercise. Though it is supposed to help!!!

Trying to keep the goodside out.

Fighting like f*ck.

If only there was a reliable 'go to' thing we each had to disperse lows or confusing moods. We are finicky creatures though so it seems impossible..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pinkstars wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone help me deal with anticipation anxiety? I freeze up always in places I have had panic attacks before its as if all my muscles tense up and i'm on high alert and then I have to run...or I act weird...

that is common and normal ...just the memory and the associations. nothing bad or sinister. breathe deeply and evenly. clench fists and relax them,,,it will fade and ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Mood is down today so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Dont post in here much, but just really need someone to talk to right now.

Don't know if I've ever mentioned my story on here, so mods feel free to delete post if I have.

I have major depression and GAD. For the past four years everything seemed fine, even finished off a college course.
    Things were looking up but then I started to get rejected from one uni course that I wanted and then another... and then another.

Sigh, I don't even know what to write. I just feel so so down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Wickers26

@historymania, don't give up hope... You're only a failure if you stop trying. That's great you finished one course. Have you spoken to a career guidance professional or someone that could give you some direction? I don't know what you're planning on studying in uni but there are ways around these things. Don't beat yourself up over it... Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Wickers26 wrote: »
    @historymania, don't give up hope... You're only a failure if you stop trying. That's great you finished one course. Have you spoken to a career guidance professional or someone that could give you some direction? I don't know what you're planning on studying in uni but there are ways around these things. Don't beat yourself up over it... Hope it works out for you.

Thanks very much for your reply. I know, it was just a put down when they said no, I put all this year into the application. I guess its just one of those days.

Hope everything is well with you

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Wickers26

I know that feeling too well. I've been experiencing the same way you feel right now but in relation to my job, finished with college thank god. I try not to take it personally but it's very difficult not to. Just got to keep on trying and hoping, what else can we do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Sick with anxiety. Haven't been this bad in ages and nothing major is even bothering me. Just a few small things piling up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement