Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

to hear that you are having such a difficult time. Is it possible that this could be the result of discontinuing the lexapro medication?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I think one ofr the reasons I'm afraid going to a doctor/therapist is I'm afraid I don't have depression or a mental illness. I think the idea that I'm not sick, that my feelings of hopelessness, lack of motivation etc. are just part of who I am really scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Chrisita wrote: »
    to hear that you are having such a difficult time. Is it possible that this could be the result of discontinuing the lexapro medication?

I've been off lexapro for nearly six months and it's only the last month or two that I've slipped. I was doing okay before then. I'm reluctant to go back on them because I never felt like they really helped and I had horrible withdrawal symptoms coming off them last time. I asked my GP for something else or something stronger but she seemed adamant to just try the 15mg of lexapro again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

ciaradx wrote: »
    I've been off lexapro for nearly six months and it's only the last month or two that I've slipped. I was doing okay before then. I'm reluctant to go back on them because I never felt like they really helped and I had horrible withdrawal symptoms coming off them last time. I asked my GP for something else or something stronger but she seemed adamant to just try the 15mg of lexapro again.

I think you should ask her to refer you to a psychiatrist. In my experience they are much better equipped to prescribe psychiatric medications. I find a lot of GPs hand out the lexapro too, it works for many but not all . And you did say you felt it didn't help you so I am baffled as to why the gp would try prescribe it to you again.

lukesmom wrote: »
    I think you should ask her to refer you to a psychiatrist. In my experience they are much better equipped to prescribe psychiatric medications. I find a lot of GPs hand out the lexapro too, it works for many but not all . And you did say you felt it didn't help you so I am baffled as to why the gp would try prescribe it to you again.

Stuff like this is why I find it very hard to trust GPs.

I wish I could help you Ciaradx but I don't really know much about treatments really. I hope you end up feeling better whatever decision you end up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I think one ofr the reasons I'm afraid going to a doctor/therapist is I'm afraid I don't have depression or a mental illness. I think the idea that I'm not sick, that my feelings of hopelessness, lack of motivation etc. are just part of who I am really scares me.

I wonder the same at times or that I've got something extra that I/we don't know about.

I think feeling depressed and lost etc are far from natural feelings so there must always be something behind them.

I wonder the same at times or that I've got something extra that I/we don't know about.

I think feeling depressed and lost etc are far from natural feelings so there must always be something behind them.

I agree. Like I'm 99.9% sure my feelings are caused by depression or some other illness but that 0.01% possibility really terrifies me. If I have an illness I can get better but if I don't then I'm stuck this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

I recommend reading a book by William J Walsh, PhD, called Nutrient Power, Heal your biochemistry and heal your brain. This is a good place to start, it is a bit text bookish and not exactly a light read, but is no doubt a completely new approach to what is a very complex, modern day plague.

Chrisita wrote: »
    I recommend reading a book by William J Walsh, PhD, called Nutrient Power, Heal your biochemistry and heal your brain. This is a good place to start, it is a bit text bookish and not exactly a light read, but is no doubt a completely new approach to what is a very complex, modern day plague.

I looked it up on Amazon there it's got excellent reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Hi folks. Had my first meeting with counsellor/ therapist today. I think it went well! It was just a get to know session. We will see I'll stick with it for a bit and see. I felt a bit of a fraud. I tend to make jokes and fun of myself when im nervous. I thought id be in floods of tears. It was strange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I really detest this time of year. Specially when its such an effort to put on a good show for my sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

You're not the only one Cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

handbagmad wrote: »
    Hi folks. Had my first meeting with counsellor/ therapist today. I think it went well! It was just a get to know session. We will see I'll stick with it for a bit and see. I felt a bit of a fraud. I tend to make jokes and fun of myself when im nervous. I thought id be in floods of tears. It was strange

That happened to me too. I don't know what it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I hate this time of year, so many anniversaries, and they are all spinning around in my head making thinking difficult and conversation almost impossible.. Argh.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

lukesmom wrote: »
    Just thought it would be interesting to see what med combos others are on. This is NOT to give any medical advice, it is just out of interest.

What I take
    Morning: Cymbalta 120mg since June 2013
    Night: Seroquel 300mgxr (since August 2013) & 15mg Zispin (since July 2013)
    For: Depression & Anxiety

An hour or two after taking my night meds I knock out to the point I often wake in the morning on the couch. I'm so groggy in the morning it takes two strong coffees to get me out the door. My appetite is off the scale due to these night meds and I've gained over a stone and a half :(
    My psych doctor wants to leave me on this combo till February when we next meet. She was not willing to bring me down off them over the Christmas period as she thought it was a bit too soon.

I was on this exact regimen, minus the Zispin. I found it very heavy and I am a bit afraid of medication so I stopped. Now I take Zyban as an anti-depressant (it is extremely hard to get prescribed this as an anti-depressant as it is unlicensed for that in Ireland and is used for quitting smoking only). Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in Ireland who uses it this way. Does anyone else have any experiences with Zyban? I am quite curious as to why it is the only medication that has ever made me feel remotely better (for depression specifically I've tried: Lustral, Cymbalta, Prozac, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify, and other SSRIs which I have forgotten). I'm also only in my early 20s so I'm a bit afraid of what the rest of my life has to offer me if I'm this badly off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I've been feeling down for the past few days. Seems to be a few things just hitting me at all angles and i cant quite deal with them.

My next counselling session is in January, i could really go for one soon. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I filled in an online self-assessment at the GP on Sunday evening, that they were meant to ring me back about. It said if you don't hear from them by Tuesday evening at the latest, get in touch.

Tuesday evening came & went and I never heard anything. I left it go for yesterday & today too, part to give them a chance if it was just busy, part because I didn't want to make contact myself.

But mustered up the courage & rang them today during my lunch hour — trying to find someone out of the way that I could have a private conversation. Receptionist in the place didn't know what I was talking about when I said I filled in their online form & had to explain it. She said that the doctor would call be back.

Waited for 50 minutes to get a call back in a park, in the cold, sitting on a bench. Made sure I was somewhere with full signal so that I could take a call & hung around to hopefully get to talk to them before going back to work. Double-checked the phone as I was walking back to work & had a voicemail, even though the phone itself never rang.

The voicemail was literally, 'Just returning your call from X'. That was it — no direct number than I could call back on, no reassurances or more information on the consultation I filled in, nothing. :(

Had meetings all afternoon, so I couldn't ring back & I don't think I'll get a chance now before Christmas. Quite disheartened after working up the courage to take a first step. Would've hoped for a bit more understanding from their end!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

herisson wrote: »
    I've been feeling down for the past few days. Seems to be a few things just hitting me at all angles and i cant quite deal with them.

My next counselling session is in January, i could really go for one soon. :/

Hey there Herisson, feeling the same myself. Psych appoint not till Feb thinking bout ringing them up and see if they can move me up, maybe you could do the same?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

First time pretty much ever that i've lacked the will to even take my medication, eventually took them but it's strange behaviour for me.. Anyway, hope all here are doing fairly ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Hey there Herisson, feeling the same myself. Psych appoint not till Feb thinking bout ringing them up and see if they can move me up, maybe you could do the same?

I dont think i can. I might try deal with it until then, and unload everything then. I have people i can talk to so i am not bottling anything up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Don't know how I'm going to get through Christmas. I don't even know what way I feel one minute to the next. Might visit the doctor on Monday to see what she can give me. Xanax are useless tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I've been in a bit of a good mood for the past couple of days. I think my medication is finally starting to work. I was really dreading Christmas but it mightn't be so bad now.

Don't know how I'm going to get through Christmas. I don't even know what way I feel one minute to the next. Might visit the doctor on Monday to see what she can give me. Xanax are useless tbf.

Yeah I find the xanax pretty mild too. They take the tip if the edge off for me and that's about all.

Now this is a weird feeling. I've 'lost my nerve' i think is the way to describe it.. New on one me..

Ah well, how are the rest of you doing? (remember, it's only a day, a boring wednesday at that)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Think I was the only person walking around town on my own today. It was really depressing. I tried hanging around for a while but ended up just going back home.

phi3 wrote: »
    Think I was the only person walking around town on my own today. It was really depressing. I tried hanging around for a while but ended up just going back home.

I've been staying at home besides going to work for that reason.. Maybe not the healthiest approach but in some cases ignorance is indeed bliss. Hope you feel better at home soon Phi.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Ive been suffering with moderate depression for last 10 years anyway I am on meds for it which help a bit

I have a question 2 months ago I went for bereavement counselling as I had lost my mother in july and I was struggling with her passing, I actually went for bereavement counselling but turned into depression counselling anyway my question is has anybody went for counselling for depression ? what if anything did it do to help you

My own experience is that you talk all about your feelings and emotions. but you still feel the same at the end of the session have went for about 8 sessions and still feel none the wiser

Thanks in advance for replies

phi3 wrote: »

Same happened to me on Saturday just gone felt horrible and all the happy people around me like you just went home

• Advertisement

herisson wrote: »
    I dont think i can. I might try deal with it until then, and unload everything then. I have people i can talk to so i am not bottling anything up.

Hi Herisson, did you get a chance to go to the doc ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement