Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Night time is hard, alone with my thoughts, odd how time of day effects. How is everyone keeping?

What kind of thoughts Gremlinertia?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Uselessness, self loathing, failure and lonely - you know, all the cheerful stuff. It's the way that it descends as suddenly as it does that gets to me most, no way to prepare for it so end up a bit paralysed with it.

Uselessness, self loathing, failure and lonely - you know, all the cheerful stuff. It's the way that it descends as suddenly as it does that gets to me most, no way to prepare for it so end up a bit paralysed with it.

I seem to get the same however at the weekend mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

jammstarr wrote: »
    I haven't gone to an aware meeting in a month or two, might seem a bit cheap to just turn out again out of the blue for these.

If you think they might be of any help to you then you should go. Aware are not the type of organisation to turn anybody in need away, or indeed judge you

If you think they might be of any help to you then you should go. Aware are not the type of organisation to turn anybody in need away, or indeed judge you

I tried CBT years ago but it didn't do much for me. Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind for it. Might pop along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭thrilledskinny

I haven't gone to an aware meeting in a month or two, might seem a bit cheap to just turn out again out of the blue for these.

Hi jammstar, the add was in local paper, its open to everyone and anyone. No requirement to be an aware attendee or anything. The application form is v simple and doesn't ask have u ever attended or supported aware.
    Simply if u suffer wit depression anxiety etc ur welcome to apply.

Like previous poster just said, aware tries to help everyone.
    You should apply jammstarr, at least check it out and see ...

Just to clarify I don't think Aware would judge me, it was just a bit of self deprecation :o

I tried CBT years ago but it didn't do much for me. Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind for it. Might pop along.

I tried it before too, and found it very helpful. It's mad how we slot into certain ways of thinking and behaving that aren't good for us.
    I'v forgotten a lot of what I learnt though and would love to refresh what I learnt.
    It might help me pull my self out of th mess my life is in..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'd love to try that Aware thing, but no way i'd be able for a group thing yet. Nearly bottled it just going for appointment last month. I do hope that those of you that go get good results with it. :)

I'd love to try that Aware thing, but no way i'd be able for a group thing yet. Nearly bottled it just going for appointment last month. I do hope that those of you that go get good results with it. :)

Yep, I know what you mean. I did hesitate in applying. But I feel I do need to do something to get my life back on track. I hate the thought of who else would be in the group, someone you know etc. But was thinking sure if they are in it, they are there for a reason too! Know what you mean re nearly bottling it before appointments, I dread them, I hate having to try to explain myself, my thoughts and how I feel ??
    Sure see how u go, one step at a time eh, and sure I'm sure if this is a success for aware they'll continue them in the future.
    Can't sleep..won't sleep ...again ;-) ah well...

• Advertisement

There's no way i could deal with a group scenario the way i am currently - as it is i've driven a number of friends away and damaged other relationships. The idea of a room full of strangers terrifies me, however i hope by the time this year is out i'll still be here and have it reconsidered. Hope you do actually get some sleep. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

The aware thing sounds brilliant, I can't recommend their normal meetings enough. I love the way they are anonymous and even just accepts you for who you are (not unlike this thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I'm really down today. Was going to cancel my counselling , but then I realised I'd have spoken to no body all day if I didn't go to counsilling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

veyron wrote: »
    Hey can anyone help me with this i was diagnoised with a depressive disorder last xmas and as a result lost my buisness and nearly my wife still feeling very low and finding it hard to cope and still not really talking about it, but my question is i have an income protection policy and have furnished all the details and doctor reports been to the insurance companys doctor and she has told me i shouldnt be working and she will reflect this in her report and still waiting on a descision whether they will pay out or not. i suppose my question is wil they and has anyone any experience of thsi sorry for going off topic

Hey veyron,
    was out of work for 7 months in 2010. I was luck in that work paid me for six of those seven months. They had an income protection insurance plan, which unfortunately never paid out. There was some small clause in the plan which gave them an out. Apparently this isn't uncommon. I don't want to cause you more distress, but its better to know upfront

mranxious wrote: »
    I went to a local doctor last year about something and while he was checking me out he asked if I work at a stressful job and I said I did and I sometimes get quite anxious. He prescribed me Xanax for my anxiety but only gave me a 2 week supply. This is the first and only time I've ever been prescribed anything like that.

A few days later I was feeling a bit anxious so I took one and stupidly enough, I started to feel more anxious after taking it as I didn't know how I would react :) Thankfully though everything was fine and I noticed after about 30 minutes I started to feel calmer.

I wasn't taking them super regularly, but maybe one every few days. However it is almost a year ago since I was prescribed them and I've managed to stretch the 2 week supply out to last almost a year. I have 2 left that I'm holding onto in-case I get really panicky about something.

The thing is, I sort of want to go back to the doctor and get another prescription for them but I feel a bit stupid and embarrassed. I feel like if I go back and ask for another prescription, he will say "Well you made a 2 week supply last almost a year I don't think you need them, off you go".

I know my regular GP isn't a big fan of prescribing them (I'm living away from home at the moment) and when I told them another GP prescribed them he told me to basically put them in a drawer and only take them if I really needed them.

So I'm not sure what I should do. I kind of want a new prescription for them and have a larger prescription (in quantity, not a stronger dosage) so I don't need to keep holding off. There's been times I've been feeling panicky and could have done with taking one but didn't as I kept thinking at some point I might feel worse about something and really need them then.

What should I do?

Talk to your GP and tell him exactly what you told us!

Third week back at work and starting to struggle. Not hugely, but the littlest things seem to set me off. And I'm stressed by things I would have taken for granted before

I'm feeling strangely optimistic today.

neemish wrote: »
    Hey veyron,
    was out of work for 7 months in 2010. I was luck in that work paid me for six of those seven months. They had an income protection insurance plan, which unfortunately never paid out. There was some small clause in the plan which gave them an out. Apparently this isn't uncommon. I don't want to cause you more distress, but its better to know upfront

Hi Vernon, I didn't bother getting an IPP, because I thought once I'v declared I have depression they will charge me more, n then won't pay out. I worry they only pay out on an illness u didn't know u had at the time or get after the fact but check it out yourself. Every policy is individual.

Am on sick leave currently, and have well worn out my paid 6months leave unfortunately. So am v v grateful for illness benefit, Socail welfare ;-)

Best of luck with your situation. Am glad to hear your wife stuck by u in the long term, like any illness, its v hard on partners..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Was doing good for 2-3 weeks but the last two days have been a return of the crap. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I started a blog on tumblr. Lot of triggering posts, but just somewhere to vent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Another night crying myself to sleep. Maybe actually being able to cry is an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Today is sh1t.

**hugs for everyone**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Feeling pretty bad the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 poppyflowers

Joined boards this afternoon. Not sure what to say here or where to begin.

I am feeling terrible with months now, I don't want to be in anybody's company, don't want to engage in conversation with anyone I know, feel like a recluse. Been to the gp, prescribed a mild strength of cipramil. I know counselling would be advisable but I just don't have the courage to sit in a room with a stranger and expose my stupid self and thoughts and emotions with someone again.

I feel numb and lifeless, not the person I used to be. I can relate with nearly everyone that posts in this thread as I am sure you can with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I am feeling terrible with months now, I don't want to be in anybody's company, don't want to engage in conversation with anyone I know, feel like a recluse. Been to the gp, prescribed a mild strength of cipramil. I know counselling would be advisable but I just don't have the courage to sit in a room with a stranger and expose my stupid self and thoughts and emotions with someone again.

I feel numb and lifeless, not the person I used to be. I can relate with nearly everyone that posts in this thread as I am sure you can with each other.

Welcome to boards. Yeah I can relate to most of what you said. Except I never managed to get to the doctor. Glad you feel you can share here anyway. We all help eachother a little just knowing there's someone out there feeling just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Psychologist appointments changed from monthly to weekly and a meet up with my psychiatrist, who I wasn't supposed to see til June, arranged. Hmmm.

Hi Phi, thanks for the warm welcome. Whilst I did manage eventually to bite the bullet and ask the doctor for medication, I don't think I articulated really how I feel to my GP, I tend to play down and brush off the "bogged down" feeling as something small to me. Truth be told were it not for a minor physical medical matter recently regarding a short course of antibiotics I probably would not have to date sought help regarding my mental health only for having the excuse to bring it up at on the tail end of that particular appointment. This thread has a lot to offer and I am glad I came across it, opportunity to contribute and learn from others as well.

Like others have said welcome. Keep posting in here whenever you have the need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

nesf wrote: »
    Psychologist appointments changed from monthly to weekly and a meet up with my psychiatrist, who I wasn't supposed to see til June, arranged. Hmmm.
    I know it's probably disappointing to have to make those appointments, especially seeing as you were feeling good lately. But seeing the psychologist and psychiatrist will help you get back on your feet again :)

I might have to change therapists. Not happy about that at all, because my current one is amazing and has really helped so much. The reason I may have to change is that there's a chance I'll be starting a full time job soon enough, and she can only see people during the day =/ Maybe the work place would let me kinda work it out with them if I get it (by taking a 2 hour lunch or something and then working the hour in the evening), but I kinda wouldn't like asking... Don't know why I'm even worrying, the job will probably fall through anyway >.<

• Advertisement

Thanks jammstarr, your text here and nesf, phi3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement