Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Been feeling terribly low over the last few days,massive struggle to even drag myself out of bed.I didn't get up today until 6.20pm.Feel that I've nothing to live for,no friends or gf/partner,don't get on with my family either.Is there any point living life being this unhappy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Been feeling terribly low over the last few days,massive struggle to even drag myself out of bed.I didn't get up today until 6.20pm.Feel that I've nothing to live for,no friends or gf/partner,don't get on with my family either.Is there any point living life being this unhappy?

Yeah, you wait, and hope, for better days :)

Been hoping and waiting for what seems like forever,all the psychiatrists and psychologists and support groups and medications haven't made much of a difference either.It all just seems to be a bit futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

Been hoping and waiting for what seems like forever,all the psychiatrists and psychologists and support groups and medications haven't made much of a difference either.It all just seems to be a bit futile.

You need to get something to live for everyday. Hobbies, work etc. I know it's easy to say but you do need something to look forward to xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

scarymoon1 wrote: »

You need to get something to live for everyday. Hobbies, work etc. I know it's easy to say but you do need something to look forward to xx
    Funny that I was thinking the same thing today, alternatively at the end if the day looking for at least one good thing you achieved. Doesn't matter how small it is, once there's something to look forward to or back on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Was reading something the other day, can't remember where, but it said physical pains can manifest as part of the depressed state. Has anyone read or know anything of this? It's the first time i've come across it and it seems to fit with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 helen48

I feel really down most days,the days i feel ok more than likley something happens to turn it upside down as in another bill,hours cut at work etc..my friends don't understand either they are still living at home and can go out every weeknd.they don't have the responsibilitys i have and only have petty little worries. It's so hard to face day to day tasks or even get out of bed. A complete stranger said to me the other day any day you are able to get up is a good day,many people physically cant..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    I've been taking 10mg lexapro for the last few years and life was great but my counsellor insists I don't need them etc. so I'm nearly off them now and I'm back to being anxious, nervous, blushing etc. anyone any advise what I will do now? My counsellor hates medication and says people who take it miss out on life.

lexapro is a prescription medication and your counsellor is not qualified to advise you on this. it's highly irresponsible of them to do that.

you should speak to your doctor about meds.

i'd also seriously consider reporting that counsellor to their professional body, if they are affiliated to one, as they are acting outside their remit and doing something which has the potential to be very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Was reading something the other day, can't remember where, but it said physical pains can manifest as part of the depressed state. Has anyone read or know anything of this? It's the first time i've come across it and it seems to fit with me.

A lot of people discover their underlying condition through doctor's visits about these pains, thought that's more in the area of anxiety than depression e.g. bumps on the skin, headaches, panic attacks, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

banquo wrote: »
    A lot of people discover their underlying condition through doctor's visits about these pains, thought that's more in the area of anxiety than depression e.g. bumps on the skin, headaches, panic attacks, etc.

Well in my case it's muscular pain, but i have a nerve pain problem also, so hard to distinguish which pain id what, just something i'd never considered before.

• Advertisement

I have also experienced this,it started with small things,kept running to doc every week,even though he could not find anything wrong. i thought I was dying,then my back gave in,I literaly couldn't walk,the doc said it was muscular damage.i went to a physiology/reki healer who knew nothing of my circumstances and told me the pain I had was to do with panic and stress,the part of my back affected was a sign of a lack of female guidance in my life.( my mam had died sudden in my arms the previous year)I still get bad now and again.the muscles tighten up with stress

It's just something i never realised could be a symptom. Now to extricate nerve pain from this pain, weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Today wasn't a good one. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Ugh, another non-day. Just got shopping and again, back to the seomra. I considered going over to a few "friends" for the match but I actually hate their company and always have. Which made me realize how much I hate people and how bored I get in their company, its almost alienating. Which then makes me wonder if I can ever find people who's company I can genuinely enjoy. I get tired of playing a long and dont get that "at least I have a part" good feeling any more. So loneliness becomes so familiar. Then I wonder how I ended up like this to remember that it was always, in some way, quite subtly there. So I just pass time and often wonder about suicide and how people are so quick to give you reasons not to do it but they are often no testament to how great these reasons are, its laughable and sorely unconvincing. I look at peoples lives and realize what they are advocating is there own life, sh*t and bland filled, as a reason to live. They may enjoy it but its like a cat telling a dog how great it is to climb walls. I dont have the guts for suicide so I wont do it, but it gives me a strange consolation. It seems I'm growing numb to stimulus and there seems to be no way out. I seem to be losing any character and sense of self I ever had and everything I do is on a low level cognitive response in the absence of persona, spirit, aliveness, charm etc. Theres my 2 cents for tonight. Hare Chrishna.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bandmembers

Hey All

I have been suffering with depression etc for quite a number of years now and I feel its getting worse.

I don't really have any friends so I spend the majority of my time alone. I find it hard to stay friendly with people or them with me I guess im one of those people who is just hard to get along with which is unfortunate because im a pretty genuine kind hearted person, I also moved alot as a kid and was never really into sports.

I just find it so hard to get involved in new things because any new club that I would go to would mean going going alone and it scares me as I am a very self concious person. I think its my main problem for my worsening condition.

I have never ever told another single soul this before. Nor have I sought medical advice but I think its getting to the stage where I need to, however I dont want to take pills etc and I think I would find it very hard to be analysed by someone. I know some close family members have or still do suffer and they are on meds but its not something I could talk to them about.

My way of coping I guess is binge and overeating I guess its my form of self harm I can go from 10/11 - 15/16 stone in a year and back again.

Is there any way to beat this naturally what should I do any one got any advice is there any self help groups out there.

I went to my doctor about this and he wanted me to take a load of tablets to"fix" it,I refused and am still struggling on,I feel I have nothing to live for,its the same thing every day,and I can't stop sleeping,im just drained from it,I have stopped telling friends as i feel i am moaning all the time,the over eating to the point of being sick is ongoing,and I'm picking rows wit himself for no reason,I feel if i go on tablets the weight will pile on and that's the last thing I need,its hard enough fitting in society at a size16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

helen48 wrote: »
    I went to my doctor about this and he wanted me to take a load of tablets to"fix" it,I refused and am still struggling on,I feel I have nothing to live for,its the same thing every day,and I can't stop sleeping,im just drained from it,I have stopped telling friends as i feel i am moaning all the time,the over eating to the point of being sick is ongoing,and I'm picking rows wit himself for no reason,I feel if i go on tablets the weight will pile on and that's the last thing I need,its hard enough fitting in society at a size16

If your concerned about weight gain there are tablets that don't have that as a side effect. Citalopram, is one (Was on that recently).

As for the size 16 thing, take a look around, there are plenty of women the same size.

I might have a think about that one,I no everyone has issues about there weight,I was a size 24/26 in my teens,I then lost 8stone down to size12,in the past few years it has been piling back on due to this stress,and I feel more conscious of it now,and im letting all my hard work go down the drain but yet a part of me thinks why even bother. How are you finding those ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Size 16 is the average size in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I might have a think about that one,I no everyone has issues about there weight,I was a size 24/26 in my teens,I then lost 8stone down to size12,in the past few years it has been piling back on due to this stress,and I feel more conscious of it now,and im letting all my hard work go down the drain but yet a part of me thinks why even bother. How are you finding those ones?

I've recently become more sensitive about my weight too. I managed to lose 3 and a half stone in 4/5 months last year and get the weight off that I had put on with an antipsychotic drug. I'm close to 14 stone at the moment which is really not too bad as I have the build (I'm 6'2), but I was at my peak 12.7 on the scales around this time last year. I guess I just want to perfect things physically.

I haven't been on Citalopram for a few months now. I did definitely get a mood lift out of them, had to increase the dose to make it last. Little or no side effects really, I think sex drive is the only one it's known for and funnily enough there was only a problem with that when I came off the drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I had my appointment with my new psychologist today. :) Feeling happy about it. She seems really nice, and really listened. She seems to get every thing I said. She said we'll have two kinda assessment sessions, and then decide if it's for me, or what do I need at that point. Feeling good about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

flyswatter wrote: »
    If your concerned about weight gain there are tablets that don't have that as a side effect. Citalopram, is one (Was on that recently).

As for the size 16 thing, take a look around, there are plenty of women the same size.
    phi3 wrote: »
    Size 16 is the average size in Ireland.

Yeah, I'm a size 16, and generally get no complaints about my size. Besides, look how far you've come...you were a 24/26 and lost 8 stone. That's like losing Cheryl Cole or someone. It's loads!

Ya its just very hard when you see it going up and up,and you cant get head around how to take control again,I'm happy enough most days but den it hits ,suppose can only concentrate on one thing at a time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 _Moss_

So I was feeling a little better on Sunday and then just like flipping a switch I was right back to feeling like crap. I ended up having a panic attack that night.
    If I feel bad I start to torture myself with overthinking stupid things, like not doing well in a job interview last week (shyness and nerves are a curse), not having close friends, not feeling happy.
    It's like a vicous circle, I want to feel better but I get so worked up I end up miserable for days, not sleeping makes it worse. So I'm gonna do a routine and stick to it, see if that helps. I'll have to force myself to get motivated otherwise I'll be in my fatman pants every day watching reruns of friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I find having a routine can really help _Moss_. Start it off slowly and build it up over a few weeks so it's easier to get used to :) And if you don't stick to it one day, just start again the next day. Don't beat yourself up about it not being perfect, every little bit helps.

I got a card from some friends saying nice things about me today, has perked me up a lot :) Finishing college is scary though! I hate the idea of having to grow up =/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I got perscribed Lyrica yesterday. I just feel like its one thing after another now. Im waiting to get injections in my shoulder, now im taking tablets for nerve pain in my leg.
    It just feels never ending at the moment. My job is being affected by my pain. I have no friends really. The one friend i have is moving to Australia soon.
    I feel i put too much pressure on my boyfriend. Yesterday we had a massive row because i was so grumpy.
    Ive had insommnia for years, so i never really sleep more than a couple of hours. My doctor gave me stilnoct (10mg) but it only ever gives me 4 hours of sleep. I know im not giving my body time to heal.
    I feel very down lately. Theres a work night out next week. Ive just joined a new department, and im trying to think of ways to get out of it. Even though im very lonely, and only have my boyfriend for company.

sorry for rambling

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Oh so lovely and bright today, I can feel my mood lifting already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

nesf wrote: »
    Oh so lovely and bright today, I can feel my mood lifting already. :)
    Brilliant isn't!! I'm heading away for the weekend so praying it stays like this.
    On the subject of sunshine, just curious if anyone has ever tried a SAD lamp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

• Advertisement

Applied for this today,it's free and can't make me feel any worse:

http://www.aware.ie/help/support/awares_life_skills_programme/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement