Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Republic of Telly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I want 30mins of my life back, that was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Did anyone watch tonight? I didn't catch it all but I must say what I saw was quite good. The song/county sketch was funny and the presenter was genuinely way way better than earlier in the season. Jennifer Maguire is still awful (and now she's on the fear being awful), I honestly don't know why she's getting so much airtime (the cynic in me has a theory).

But yeah, much better, the bit taking the mick out of the home and away documentary with that self-absorbed model was crying out to be destroyed, and the presenter/writers nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Did anyone watch tonight? I didn't catch it all but I must say what I saw was quite good. The song/county sketch was funny and the presenter was genuinely way way better than earlier in the season. Jennifer Maguire is still awful (and now she's on the fear being awful), I honestly don't know why she's getting so much airtime (the cynic in me has a theory).

But yeah, much better, the bit taking the mick out of the home and away documentary with that self-absorbed model was crying out to be destroyed, and the presenter/writers nailed it.

The first sketch with Eddie hobbs was terrible it was meant to be a take at Love/Hate .I don't know how they get such laughter from the audience.

jjf1974 wrote: »
    The first sketch with Eddie hobbs was terrible it was meant to be a take at Love/Hate .I don't know how they get such laughter from the audience.

Only caught the very tail of that. Looked ****e (I don't watch love hate) but nothing new in the sketches being ****e. They reek of the tendency of people in rte to think that the people of Ireland are as obsessed with people in rte as the people in rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The only 2 good sketches in last few weeks have been Sound/ Not Sound, and Every Irish wedding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

jjf1974 wrote: »

I've said before that either the audience are boozed up, or they have low standards in comedy, or both.

And no doubt there's a warm-up guy - who himself probably consumes some quantity of alcohol before the show.

Just sayin'.

:o:o :rolleyes: :D:);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And no doubt there's a warm-up guy - who himself probably consumes some quantity of alcohol before the show.

What makes you think a warm-up comedian would be drunk while doing his job?

Who does warm up for Republic of Telly actually - anyone ever been to a recording of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

I think it got off to a very slow start to the new season but it's finally finding it's feet now. I had a good few laughs last night! I like the new presenter, he looks like someone it would be fun to get trippy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I've said before that either the audience are boozed up, or they have low standards in comedy, or both.

Just sayin'.

:o:o :rolleyes: :D:);)

Thats quite a strange comment or perhaps I just don't get what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I just don't understand how people enjoy watching this sort of "comedy". Surely there must be better comics out there that could do a better job. The longest I've been able to watch it is 5 mins, anything over that then I'll start to just get annoyed. Pure muck!

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What makes you think a warm-up comedian would be drunk while doing his job?

Who does warm up for Republic of Telly actually - anyone ever been to a recording of it?

I was just trying to say that he probably isn't sober - that doesn't exactly mean that he's drunk. :o:)

lufties wrote: »
    Thats quite a strange comment or perhaps I just don't get what you mean.

You probably just don't get what I mean, then. :o:)

If the audience didn't have low standards in comedy and/or weren't given free alcohol before the show, then surely they'd realise how bad the vast majority of the sketches are and wouldn't laugh and clap so much at them.

And the warm-up guy probably doesn't realise either how bad said sketches are as he goes about his job - which leads the cynic in me to suggest that he, too, might have had a beer or two before the show. (But I don't mean to suggest that he's had loads of beers - he certainly wouldn't be able to do his job then.) :o:)

And the warm-up guy probably doesn't realise either how bad said sketches are as he goes about his job - which leads the cynic in me to suggest that he, too, might have had a beer or two before the show.

The warm-up guy (whoever he is) is getting paid good money to warm the crowd up, what he thinks of the sketches doesn't make a difference to his job. I doubt he's having beers at all before he does it or why you think he would.

Sure even Winning Streak has a warm-up guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I was just trying to say that he probably isn't sober - that doesn't exactly mean that he's drunk. :o:)

You probably just don't get what I mean, then. :o:)

If the audience didn't have low standards in comedy and/or weren't given free alcohol before the show, then surely they'd realise how bad the vast majority of the sketches are and wouldn't laugh and clap so much at them.

And the warm-up guy probably doesn't realise either how bad said sketches are as he goes about his job - which leads the cynic in me to suggest that he, too, might have had a beer or two before the show. (But I don't mean to suggest that he's had loads of beers - he certainly wouldn't be able to do his job then.) :o:)

Ahhh, now I see what you mean...

Not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

i think the republic of telly is absolutly hilarious :)

The warm-up guy (whoever he is) is getting paid good money to warm the crowd up, what he thinks of the sketches doesn't make a difference to his job. I doubt he's having beers at all before he does it or why you think he would.

Sure even Winning Streak has a warm-up guy!
    lufties wrote: »
    Ahhh, now I see what you mean...

Not :confused:

*sigh*

The sketches are mostly crap.

Yet the audience still laugh at each and every one of them.

That means that they somehow find them funny, through either or both of the following:

(1) Having low standards in comedy, i.e. thinking that almost anything that passes off as comedy is funny.

(2) Being given free booze before the show, which makes them more likely to laugh at almost anything that passes off as comedy.

And the warm-up guy prompts the audience to laugh and clap after each and every sketch - no matter how funny the sketches actually are, and no matter that the audience will more than likely laugh and clap naturally, as a result of their low standards in comedy and/or the influence of booze.

As I said, I'm only making a cynical suggestion (as I do with many other poor TV shows) that he himself has one or two beers before the show - I'm not actually saying that he does do that.

And I'm happy for this cynical suggestion to be proved wrong.

I'm sorry for phrasing this comment the way I have - it's just that I really don't think that what I've said in my previous two comments should be that difficult to understand, regardless whether it's right or wrong.

:o:o:o:o:o:o:):)

Masseymad wrote: »
    i think the republic of telly is absolutly hilarious :)

Even after what I've said above, I respect your opinion.

I may not necessarily agree with it, but you're perfectly entitled to it. :)

That means that they somehow find them funny, through either or both of the following:

(1) Having low standards in comedy, i.e. thinking that almost anything that passes off as comedy is funny.

(2) Being given free booze before the show, which makes them more likely to laugh at almost anything that passes off as comedy.

I'd say it's both of these. I've never been to the Republic of Telly recording but I have been in the audience for other shows and got one glass of wine before it. Don't think they're slopping out four pints to each person or anything.
    As I said, I'm only making a cynical suggestion (as I do with many other poor TV shows) that he himself has one or two beers before the show - I'm not actually saying that he does do that.

Yeah I doubt that bit. For a comedian, a warm up gig is a nice regular paid gig and whether he likes the sketches or not has nothing to do with his job. He gets paid to get the crowd going, that's it.

Do you think everyone who works on Republic of Telly thinks it's hilarious? Cause that's definitely not true.

Do you think everyone who works on Republic of Telly thinks it's hilarious? Cause that's definitely not true.

If I implied at any stage that I thought that, then I didn't mean to. :o:)

I'd say there are plenty of Republic of Telly personnel who couldn't care less how funny it actually is. Their jobs don't involve going in front of the camera at all, though.

If I implied at any stage that I thought that, then I didn't mean to. :o:)

I'd say there are plenty of Republic of Telly personnel who couldn't care less how funny it actually is. Their jobs don't involve going in front of the camera at all, though.

The warm-up guy isn't in front of the camera either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Having a debate with the wife here. This weeks episode, Jen Mcguire doing the 80's sketch was frying a breakfast for Bernard. What was the white stuff she used on the frying pan instead of oil. It was a white block called? ( remember this was the 80's )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Having a debate with the wife here. This weeks episode, Jen Mcguire doing the 80's sketch was frying a breakfast for Bernard. What was the white stuff she used on the frying pan instead of oil. It was a white block called? ( remember this was the 80's )

Lard

Lard. I think it's made if animal fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Frytex

028%5C5011031083028%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

or Cooken.

cookeen-pack-small.png

I was thinking stork maybe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It was fry tex. Mm tasty chips ;-)

deco nate wrote: »
    It was fry tex. Mm tasty chips ;-)

Anybody know Jennifer McGuire personally?? Maybe ask her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The show is still pretty funny at times. The main thing that drives me mad though is they don't properly mute down the audience laugh track during skits.

It's sometimes impossible to hear what's being said because of some gob****es guffawing.

If you watch The Daily Show you'll hear how they properly deal with it.

KerranJast wrote: »
    The show is still pretty funny at times. The main thing that drives me mad though is they don't properly mute down the audience laugh track during skits.

It's sometimes impossible to hear what's being said because of some gob****es guffawing.

If you watch The Daily Show you'll hear how they properly deal with it.

Who in the name of God watches the daily show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Who in the name of God watches the daily show :)
    Kudos :D I obviously meant the US Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    Kudos :D I obviously meant the US Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Ha, I only got DTP's joke when you said that...

Seriously I know it's not even remotely fair to compare, but I've been watching a lot of Colbert Reports this week. Dear God we have so much to learn...

Advertisement