Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Republic of Telly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the show definitely was funny for a season or two circa 2010/11

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It still makes me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 85,661 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Back tonight and some awful skits so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

It wasnt great, just kept it on after Vikings. Thought it was strange that they suggested Brendan o Connor dies on his arse every week in the Hunger Games sketch. It was a perfect opportunity to poke a little fun at Tubridy. it seems like he is off limits for humour.

They need to get rid of blaithnid too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Just watching it now, sighed audibly when I saw then announce they're sending yet another low grade comedian to coppers to make hilarious jokes about guards and nurses.

Sorry, did isay make jokes? I meant, literally, just point out that guards and nurses go there and wait for a laugh. Honestly, rte, what's the fascination with the place?

The presenter doing akind of Charlie Brooker screen wipe on Irish tv is pretty good, but the other guy, the gay comedian, whose main shtick is being gay, is absolutely atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thought this weeks show was OK. Bridget and Eamon in the 80s is ****e!!

The im a celeb skit was class!! And I think we're all sick of coopers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

great show. Only time I watch RTE once a week. Everything else on RTE is repeats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Is there anyone on the planet that finds this bag of complete bo**icks funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Me , tis a great laugh

Ok fair enough. I bet you think Miss Brown's boys is a laugh as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Me , tis a great laugh

Me too :cool:

Though I think the second news slot they do takes the steam out of the show abit.

The Viper was all right tonight but it slows down the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Ok fair enough. I bet you think Miss Brown's boys is a laugh as well.

I cant stand that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It has its moments. The TV licence inspectors for instance - ''these be their stories'' haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭briany

A lot of people complain about the amount of paddywhackery featured but that's the brief of the show, I imagine. Like anything else, it's hit and miss, but the exact ratio of hits and misses will vary from person to person.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The "Homeground" sketch tonight is funnier when you remember that RTE did actually run a GAA-themed drama called "On Home Ground" about 15 years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Didn't think the sketches worked too well tonight, well not the homeground one anyway.

I am looking forward to next weeks Water Meter/Georgia Salpa ones though :D

I still think the second news slot by Bernard/Al Porter/The Viper doesn't work and slows the show down.

Its complete and utter garbage. Should have been put to bet along time ago. The one on it done some hidden camera show i think it was called the fear and it was crap as well. I find people who are not comedians trying to be funny never works. Anyone who finds this show funny really needs to have a look at themselves. Its tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Shandashey

Well I think it's brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

This current run is an improvement. Jen is a pain in the hole, show is better without her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Best I can say is that I'd watch it if there was shag all else on. Occasional good bits but a lot of it is more miss than hit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It can be fairly funny when they're taking the piss out of other shows, but yeah it is a bit hit and miss, I thought that Million Euro Challenge pisstake with the dolls was hilarious.

All i can say is anyone who finds it funny is probably only watching two channels. The girl off the apprentice is stealing a living. She is not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Was OK a few years ago. The recent presenters are woeful. Al porter is not funny. Bernard is funny about 5% of the time . the token hot girl thing with vogue Williams and the like.. Nice to look at..until they speak.

For me it's the usual rte thing of taking a half decent concept and making a complete balls of it...and sticking the same faces into everything they can

Each to their own though.

The fear had to be one if the worst prograns ever conceived. Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

The TV review bits are actually funny.

The sketches are 90% poor. The Real Republic bit is always poor.

Being rude to celebrities, getting a bit dated, although the viper interviewing One Direction was really good because The English lads hadn't a clue.

As i said it's complete and utter garbage. The same with the panel shows they do. Same face's who are not funny just doing something slightly different. How anyone thinks that gob****e Brendan is funny is beyond me. RTE would not know funny if it hit them in the face. Oh well it did Father Ted and they turned that down. Also didn't they give the one who done Wanderly Wagon a few series. RTE comedy is just pure and utter garbage in general. They have had a few hits Apres Match, The Savage Eye (lost its way a bit), The hidden camera show with the old woman (can't think of the name of it). Jennifer Maguire is not funny and is stealing a living. Rte think once someone does one program they must put them into everything.

RTE never turned down Father Ted.

The writers have been quite clear about that.

I like the Real Republic bits as it pokes fun at RTE itself.

From the first two episodes I'd say I've liked about 2/3's of each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

RTE don't do funny. It's a historical fact.
    To RTE. 'Comedy' is something you throw together. 'Give Pascal's nephew free reign with some of his college chums' or 'stick a few stand ups in a room with paper and pens'.
    All these, past, present, RTE efforts could be one show when you think about it.
    If I wrote a sketch I thought was funny and broadcast it on the national broadcaster, chances are a few thousand in TV land would find it funny....just enough to justify ongoing piss poor planning on RTE's behalf.

They give the same clowns shows all the time. The panel show they did was a disgrace. They guy who done it has his own show now and its garbage. The worst show ever was the pile of dung wanderly wagon. I have seen some good comedy shows on rte in fairness but the stuff they are producing at the moment is terrible. How Neil Delamare is making shows is beyond me almost as unfunny as Lee Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It can be fairly funny when they're taking the piss out of other shows

That's the best bit pretty much every week IMO. Everything else is hit or miss. The sketches, news, etc. First 10 minutes are worth watching when they look back on the week's TV. Often just watch that bit and switch over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Is there anyone on the planet that finds this bag of complete bo**icks funny.

No.Jennifer Maguire is about as funny as Operation Yewtree.And yes she'd get it but thats no reason to put her fronting a comedy programme.Is that guy Whelan still on it?He was the least funny regular panelist on The Panel which is saying something.

Advertisement