Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

tinners wrote: »
    How accurate are these charts at +36 ?

uksnowrisk.png

As accurate as Owenc's Thermometer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

It's just you.

What this country needs, apart from a violent and bloody revolution to oust the tyrannical powers that be, is some violent, damaging storms. I want to see destruction, lightning ripping open the sky, 50 metre high waves smashing against the coast. This is what this country needs. It is not asking to much, is it? redface.gif

I hear ye mate I hear ye, good post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

interesting article here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

doccy wrote: »
    interesting article here

Wow, the UKMO have some serious number crunching potential, and the crunching machines look fecking badass too.

I had always envisioned UKMO models being run on apple ii's with Michael Fish giving the thumbs up beside a green screen wearing a woolen turtleneck.

Interesting that only the Japanese (JMA) computers are more powerful. I'd love to see some kind of table of comparison of the major models in terms of computational power.

Of course it's the people "driving" these machines which is most important at the end of the day (in terms of software, data input etc).

I'm suprised the Dailymail provided such an interesting article!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

are you just jealous that you are stuck on the south coast... is this trough coming through now the colder air? the bbc map shows snow showers hitting here from after it passes through we shall see then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Deirdre Lowe on the 07:55 radio broadcast this morning mentioned snow showers for "mainly over mountains" this week, with rain elsewhere.

front is coming through near here now... i think.. could there be backedge snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Su Campu wrote: »
    Deirdre Lowe on the 07:55 radio broadcast this morning mentioned snow showers for "mainly over mountains" this week, with rain elsewhere.

do you think she is correct? usually met eireann start out with snow on high ground a few days in advanace and then their forecast changes to lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    are you just jealous that you are stuck on the south coast... is this trough coming through now the colder air? the bbc map shows snow showers hitting here from after it passes through we shall see then...

South east Coast :P Best place for summer sun :pac:
    Enjoy your snow showers followed by warm sunny spells :)

South east Coast :P Best place for summer sun :pac:
    Enjoy your snow showers followed by warm sunny spells :)

hopefully i will see after this front comes through if it is going to snow or not..

• Advertisement

do you think she is correct? usually met eireann start out with snow on high ground a few days in advanace and then their forecast changes to lower levels.

I think certainly for the first half of the week. 850hPa potential temperatures are suggesting rain below around 250m. There is more of a chance of this extending downwards somewhat by late Thursday/Friday, but that is not set in stone at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think certainly for the first half of the week. 850hPa potential temperatures are suggesting rain below around 250m. There is more of a chance of this extending downwards somewhat by late Thursday/Friday, but that is not set in stone at this point.

well if you say there is a chance then thats good enough for me! i have found your predictions to be close to what transpires so far this winter especially the end of the january cold spell forecast.

well if you say there is a chance then thats good enough for me! i have found your predictions to be close to what transpires so far this winter especially the end of the january cold spell forecast.

Well it's not only me saying it, but thanks. But there are no indications at all of the snowline extending down all the way to sea level at this point, so don't go getting excited. Things can change of course, but at the moment it's not looking likely.

Well it's not only me saying it, but thanks. But there are indications at all of the snowline extending down all the way to sea level at this point, so don't go getting excited. Things can change of course, but at the moment it's not looking likely.

but what about us up north? should we get any snow after the front passes? is this the front passing through now? what happens after... i have no clue..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I have found a more accurate GFS run

but what about us up north? should we get any snow after the front passes? is this the front passing through now? what happens after... i have no clue..

Yes there is a cold front passing through now, so behind it we'll see the temperatures drop a bit. But I think it will again be a case of the hills behind maybe getting a dusting while you down low get more and more agitated with nothing but cold rain.

EDIT: Cold rain and hail

Yes there is a cold front passing through now, so behind it we'll see the temperatures drop a bit. But I think it will again be a case of the hills behind maybe getting a dusting while you down low get more and more agitated with nothing but cold rain.

EDIT: Cold rain and hail

im agitated already as the temp has risen to 4.5c from 3c and its 6c in eglinon with a dp of 4c!...:mad::mad::mad: they are dropping behind arnt they along with dps?

im agitated already as the temp has risen to 4.5c from 3c and its 6c in eglinon with a dp of 4c!...:mad::mad::mad: they are dropping behind arnt they along with dps?

They will drop a bit, but not enough for you to get snow. Your only chance of seeing ice will be in hail showers I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

4.5/4

cloudy and balmy here,calm before the storm,hopefully :D

They will drop a bit, but not enough for you to get snow. Your only chance of seeing ice will be in hail showers I'm afraid...

well thats not a cold spell then.... the bbc weather etc all show snow but probably not:mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: looks like its snowing on the hills above me... probably not.. but temps are so high... how low do we need for snow? does anyone have one of those radar thingys to show were its snowing or sleeting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

If this chart comes off for next Monday, well what a chart, it won't.

Rtavn1801.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

200motels wrote: »
    If this chart comes off for next Monday, well what a chart, it won't.

Rtavn1801.png

Looks like cold rain or sleet maybe. Nasty stuff, I'll pass thanks. But as you say - it probably won't happen....:)

erm i think there is going to be more than sleet as people on nw are forecasting the front to stall and come back north in a westward direction (not affecting here) and they are saying it could give southern england snow... (ugh...) and that the cold temps will get further south well they are still high and not dropping and the front has left... typical.. WHEN ARE THE TEMPS DROPPING THIS IS TERRRIBLE THEY ARE RISING LIKE A ROCKET...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Like I said often on this board folks...whats coming ain't worth a damn because it's in off the atlantic.
    You can't beat a proper continental Easterly or Northeasterly with a siberian/russian origin-simply because it has no warm atlantic mixing.
    When it meets the atlantic,it's a battleground scenario.
    Before that it's cold enough for heavy snow showers if pressure is low enough.
    Our unhelpfull high cóck blocked that.

Whats coming is going to drop or at least should drop a fair bit of snow from time to time up at sally gap and similar high spots.

If theres any lower down it will be the exception.
    I wouldn't rule it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »

No sign of any real, pleasurable warmth on that outlook Wolfe. Looks like a continuation of the same old same old for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BMW Mpower

Lets hope the snow is gone for the year now, hopefully we get a well deserved good summer this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

No sign of any real, pleasurable warmth on that outlook Wolfe. Looks like a continuation of the same old same old for a while yet.
    Yes Deep. The latest models have us sitting in more or less the same position in 7-10days time as we are in this morning i.e. 5-8 degrees C, isolated rain showers, light variable breezes.

In between now and then, people will most certainly see white stuff falling from the sky but it will most likely be hail showers than snow. Having looked at the laters runs I would have to agree with Black Briar and Su Campu. There will be localised snowfall somewhere in the country over the next few days, Wed and Thur in particular, but any snow will most likely fall above 300 metres.

torrential rain now this better be the end of this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

BMW Mpower wrote: »
    Lets hope the snow is gone for the year now, hopefully we get a well deserved good summer this year

i want just one good dumping of snow,just one,then and only then will i allow the summer to roll in. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement