Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    000304a110dr.jpg

Snow reported in north, north west

Snowfalls early this morning affected some areas of the north and north west.

Driving conditions were difficult in parts of counties Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan and Leitrim. The main Dublin to Derry road between Ballygawley and Omagh was among the worst affected.

I wonder did Owenc see anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

We may never know!

Does the Met Eireann forecast look accurate for the next 36hrs or so? A whole lot of nothing! With only a chance of some white stuff on Friday?:(
    cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I don't know but you can be sure as hell that THE DP WAS LIKE SO UGGGGGGGH AND THE HILLS BEHIND ME WERE WHITE AND, :confused::confused:WHEN WILL IT SNOW FOR ME:( ANSWER ME!!!! PFFFF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

We may never know!

Does the Met Eireann forecast look accurate for the next 36hrs or so? A whole lot of nothing! With only a chance of some white stuff on Friday?:(
    cheers!

Take a look at this precip chart for next few days Steve.
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

click on nedbor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Clouds have a slightly convective look to them here at the moment. First time I have seen that all winter. Another month or so and big mamma showers would be a certain under this set up. Defo a spring glint in the air today..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I don't know but you can be sure as hell that THE DP WAS LIKE SO UGGGGGGGH AND THE HILLS BEHIND ME WERE WHITE AND, :confused::confused:WHEN WILL IT SNOW FOR ME:( ANSWER ME!!!! PFFFF

yeah right. dimwhit.

2 degs here - lks like an ice day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its really funny, if you track the progress of the centre of the low currently to our south.

It started out to the north of Scotland veered west off the north Irish coast then pushed south off the coastline then stalled and is expected to head east into Wales/England tonight and during tomorrow :eek:

Chance of a pounding of snow for Wales central northern England tomorrow.

Typical :eek:

12z GFS then wants to throw another bash of heavy precip into southern England Saturday , meanwhile were dry:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Its really funny, if you track the progress of the centre of the low currently to our south.

It started out to the north of Scotland veered west off the north Irish coast then pushed south off the coastline then stalled and is expected to head east into Wales/England tonight and during tomorrow :eek:

Chance of a pounding of snow for Wales central northern England tomorrow.

Typical :eek:

I demand a thumbs down option !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well hopefully when the low moves east it allows showers to get going in the north and west but the showers will likely be scattered. still, hopefully they will be of sleet and snow when they occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Its a beautiful day in Dublin today, im torn between the nice weather and wanting a blizzard !

If England get a dumping of snow tomorrow then i officially give up as there is no reason other than sheer utter luck that they do and we don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There's a severe lack of convection going on over the Irish Sea today. With sea temperature of 8°C, and 850hPa temps of -5°C or warmer, it's right on the limit for sea-effect convection. There needs to be a difference of at least 13°C between the sea surface and 850hPa for convection to take place - just shows how marginal it is.

This is what they are looking at tomorrow

southeastern areas will probably get a sleety mix but areas on the north of the band could get upto 20cms of snow.

30-574.GIF?17-12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

If England get a dumping of snow tomorrow then i officially give up as there is no reason other than sheer utter luck that they do and we don't

I AGREE!!!.... ( Even tough im off to Norway for the weekend and its snowing at the moment where ill be stayin id still like some snow over here! )

Dont worry people...ILL TAKE SOME PICS OF MY 10 FOOT SNOWMAN! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Hi Everyone,

Well, like I said this morning on an earlier post it absolutely pelted snow here outside Enniskillen since about 03.00 until 09.00 or so.
    I've never seen anything like it, we're living on flat ground rather than up a hill or mountain, so I can only imagine those living up on a hill/mountain had here in Fermanagh!!

Recorded 5 1/2 inches at it's lowest point, and over 7 inches in it's highest point, depending on where the snow fell - but I'd imagine there would be significantly more in drifts. Many twigs and large branches snapped off and are littered everywhere as a result of the sheer weight of the snow. The rushes all along the lake are completly flatened, as well as many large shrubs and bushes in the garden!! :rolleyes:

I've never seen anything like it, considering I was out in the evening and found it nippy, but certainly not freezing, and had a slight sence of mildness to the air. I thought I was still dreaming when I awoke and looked out my window to see in the first light of the morning snow flakes the size of saucers falling at a rapid rate!!

Anyway, I hope the mods dont mind me posting a few photos as promised earlier of the "snow fest" here today. Although it's been clear blue skies here since 11am or so, the snow has barely melted, still a good 4 inches or so... anyone who's in need of snow you're welcome to take some of ours!! :D

My first time posting photos here, so apoligies if they don't show up first time round!!

snow1.jpg
    Taken at about 08.30 or so. Still snowing away - all be it not as heavy, the amount on the Bird Table is evident - as well as on the trees/fence!!

snow2.jpg
    Out the back of the house, no way to hang clothes on the line...!!

snow3.jpg
    Yes, I did stick a tape measure into the snow, didn't believe my eyes at first!!

snow5.jpg
    A look out over Fermanagh, with River Erne in the foreground.

snow4.jpg
    Even Homer Simpson seems impressed with the snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Great pics wild handlin, nice to see someone at low levels get surprise snow :)

Brilliant pics!

Amazing, such a localised event, just shows what some slow moving precipitation can do.

If that were to have hit the capital, well it would have been snowpocalypse :D

Thanks alot for your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

jebuz,they are super pics,incredible how localised the weather can be.
    ive often been on one side of trim and its been pelting down with rain only to drive over to the other side of town,less than a mile,to see bone dry conditions and sunny.

thanks for those pics,keeps the spirits up for something here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Su Campu wrote: »
    There's a severe lack of convection going on over the Irish Sea today. With sea temperature of 8°C, and 850hPa temps of -5°C or warmer, it's right on the limit for sea-effect convection. There needs to be a difference of at least 13°C between the sea surface and 850hPa for convection to take place - just shows how marginal it is.

Have a look at the radar echoes from the North Channel - amazing convection in this section of the Irish Sea - I have been watching this shower form over my head moving out towards Belfast Lough most of the afternoon! Pity it's just rain falling from it though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

LOL as the crow flies I was only about 8 miles from wild handlin and we only got a slight dusting. Just shows you how things can pan out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Just back from a Ski Trip in Bregenz, Austria!! Snow was absolutely amazing there, 2 metres at the top of slopes, best snow conditions seen in years! Kinda sick of snow now tho, glad to see some grass, its like summer compared to Austria! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im amazed to come here and see pics of snow today in Ireland, I didnt know till now that it snowed in places. Today was like a summers day in Dublin and Meath, blue skies pleasant conditions bit cold outside but fantastic day, was out at Howth it was like July except for the temperture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, if the rest of the country doesn't get some snow over the next five or six days i believe that could be it for snow this winter, because if the Atlantic does get back in early next week, it could be mild and wet for quite a while. Though who knows for sure, we could end up with a late March snow storm to rival the one mentioned a few pages back!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

jambofc wrote: »
    nothing to get excited about here in meath :(
    looks like any snowfall wont be happening around here,yet again!!!!!!
    getting fed up waiting,worst snow fall winter around here for years.
    roll on the long evenings and warm sunshine at this stage.(not really a bit of reverse psychology) :rolleyes:

totally agree Winter 2009/2010 has been a disaster in Meath for snow lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

well, if the rest of the country doesn't get some snow over the next five or six days i believe that could be it for snow this winter, because if the Atlantic does get back in early next week, it could be mild and wet for quite a while. Though who knows for sure, we could end up with a late March snow storm to rival the one mentioned a few pages back!

Nacho, I think you have hit the nail on the head

I am gonna call it if nobody else will. The coming weeks will not bring any decent snow fall to Ireland. Its over , we are nearly into March now and with spring looming its time to put those long range forecasts into the bin and get real :)

I understand it snowed this morning in Fermanagh and other places up the north and west, but I am when I speak about snow, I am speaking about an event that will affect more than five counties :D

Its been good, lets look forward to Spring. This constant model watching, dew point checking and thermometer auditing can't be good for anyone's mental health :rolleyes:

Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There's a subtle cooling taking place from early tomorrow morning which should be enough to kickstart the Irish Sea as the low to our south tracks eastward over southern England. Any showers that make landfall should be snow above around 150m, giving a few cms locally in parts of the east.

With the steering winds turning more northerly tomorrow afternoon, and upper lapse rates steepening as a pool of colder 500hPa temperatures approach the northwest, the action will switch to the north and west, with some beefy showers merging into linear systems, likely giving decent coverings on hills there.

10021818_1712.gif

10021818_1712.gif

10021818_1712.gif

Then an interesting feature for 12Z Friday picked up by the NAE but not the GFS.....a possible polar low to our north??!! :o The ingredients are in place, and the NAE shows it as a tight warm-core system.....if it were the GFS then I wouldn't believe it, but the NAE has yet to fail us!! ;)

One to watch!!!

10021912_1712.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

derekon wrote: »

I understand it snowed this morning in Fermanagh and other places up the north and west, but I am when I speak about snow, I am speaking about an event that will affect more than five counties :D

Derek

U mean u are talking about an event that will affect ur area, if this freak 4 inches landed down south then it would be an event i guess
    :rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Possible chance of some snow in the east in the morning?:

100217_1200_18.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement