Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow at times next week especially after midweek

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If I remember Irish Meteorological Service article on this event correctly, Co Clare was esp badly hit, as was western Mayo. I suspect that if this had happened in the Dublin region, this would have been a much fabled and much mentioned event.

i remember reading about this a year ago. someone on here kindly provided an article about it. it said there was 2-3 metre drifts in parts of mayo:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

the optimum scenario for all still remains the polar low, while you wouldn't get a foot of snow out of it, the bulk of the country would at least get a three-four hour fall of fairly heavy snow.

to some this winter will be remarkable for the exceptional duration of cold- which i don't dispute that it was, but for me looking back on this winter, it has been an extremely frustrating one. yes, we've had snow days at lower levels but nothing to make this winter stand out...
    we nearly had a classic event just before christmas. if the temperature then had been just a degree colder some parts of the country would have had a noteworthy amount of lieing snow. instead we just got two days of cold rain and sleet. it's a recurring theme in this country- either england robs our snow or the temperature is a degree or two on the wrong side...
    we came so close, but unlike those fabled winter years, we missed out on a classic event:(:(

Cannnie argue with that. :)

i remember reading about this a year ago. someone on here kindly provided an article about it. it said there was 2-3 metre drifts in parts of mayo:eek:

all within an hour of the first snowfall...;)

all within an hour of the first snowfall...;)

i would love to have a time machine:pac: it's really hard to imagine how so much snow could fall in such a short space of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

western seaboard may see some activity tomorrow
    PREC_TOMORROW_ATL.pngCLD_TOMORROW_ATL.png
    10021812_1706.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    western seaboard may see some activity tomorrow
    PREC_TOMORROW_ATL.png

nearly surrounded by precipitation and all avoiding us!

looks like we'll have to hope the weekend gives us something wintry. nice to wake up monday morning to a covering..

i would love to have a time machine:pac: it's really hard to imagine how so much snow could fall in such a short space of time.

I doubt it did, there was probably a significant wind to 'scoop up' freshly fallen and accumulate it in prone areas. Still, the snowfall must have been very intense while it lasted. Something I don't expect to ever happen again, at least in our lifetime. I could be wrong though, as I have been known to be on occasion.

nearly surrounded by precipitation and all avoiding us!

looks like we'll have to hope the weekend gives us something wintry. nice to wake up monday morning to a covering..

Hi Res models have weak trough approaching the west coast late tomorrow afternoon; they also show the possibility of a minor trough developing west of Wales (Irish Sea) later on today or tonight, with possible circulation for a brief period. Enough to pep up shower activity in the east later?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Hmm... I thought there was gonna be a snow blizzard on wensday . Its always like that we get too excited but when the cold spell comes almost no percipitation cold and dry weather!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hi Res models have weak trough approaching the west coast late tomorrow afternoon; they also show the possibility of a minor trough developing west of Wales (Irish Sea) later on today or tonight, with possible circulation for a brief period. Enough to pep up shower activity in the east later?

will keep an eye on it - need it coming inland a bit. WC said the cold air will be fully over us by the end of the day so once we have the cold in place hopefully then the precipitaion will arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

*sigh* am I right in thinking nothing will come of the easterly today ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here are the 2pm temp/dewpoints around the Met Éireann network.

Casement 5/-1
    Belmullet 6/4
    Ballyhaise 4/2
    Claremorris 6/1
    Cork Airport 4/1
    Dublin Airport 4/0
    Finner 4/2
    Gurteen 6/1
    Johnstown Castle 6/0
    Connaught Airport 6/1
    Mace Head 6/2
    Malin Head 5/2
    Mullingar 6/2
    Oak Park 6/-1
    Roches Point 5/3
    Shannon Airport 6/-1
    Sherkin Island 4/3
    Valentia 7/3

Donegal Airport 5/0
    Sligo Airport 5/0
    Kerry Airport 6/2
    Waterford Airport 6/0

will keep an eye on it - need it coming inland a bit. WC said the cold air will be fully over us by the end of the day so once we have the cold in place hopefully then the precipitaion will arrive.

Both troughs are modeled to be very weak affairs. The one I mentioned to the west of Wales is only a small possibility really, but if a small circulation can spin off its parent low to the south then it may be strong enough to push some showers onto the east coast, but even that is modeled to be a very small and isolated affair. This is probably making it sound more important that it actually will be...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

4.4/1.9

after being out cleaning up the motorbike,was that warm i was down to my t-shirt by the time i was finished :eek:

dreaming of summer days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

That would be the optimum scenario for the southern half of the country, but for the northern half, a direct Arctic feed with troughing would be more the vibe. Anyone that might doubt this just reflect back to April 1917, when the possibly the most severe and intense falls of snow of the 20th century crippled counties in the north, along western seaboard and into the western midlands.

April 1917 Snow Report Attached!

Woowee, great on the spot report there! Nice one for posting. Irish Times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

What date was that in april?

Kippure wrote: »
    What date was that in april?

I think it was the 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think it was the 1st

Hmmm, April Fool's joke then??! :P

Su Campu wrote: »
    Hmmm, April Fool's joke then??! :P

Unless the Irish Met Service was in on it, I really doubt it...

• Advertisement

I doubt it did, there was probably a significant wind to 'scoop up' freshly fallen and accumulate it in prone areas. Still, the snowfall must have been very intense while it lasted. Something I don't expect to ever happen again, at least in our lifetime. I could be wrong though, as I have been known to be on occasion.

paddy1 you are very rarely wrong;) however, i believe this is the rare occasion where you are:p

can you imagine the dreadful shock for the people who were enjoying the nice spring weather the day before:pac:
    as you say it's hard to get your head around how intense the snowfall must have been. also, how it accumulated so readily at that time of year.

gutted after reading that newspaper clipping. can't believe the sewing of cabbage seeds was delayed:pac:

paddy1 you are very rarely wrong;) however, i believe this is the rare occasion where you are:p

can you imagine the dreadful shock for the people who were enjoying the nice spring weather the day before:pac:
    as you say it's hard to get your head around how intense the snowfall must have been. also, how it accumulated so readily at that time of year.

Shows what non descript times we live in really. Despite cries that the weather in Ireland is becoming more extreme, I find this to be contrary to the actual. It was a cold April overall. Temps fell to -6c in places during the opening days of that spring month. The winter of 1916/1917 was supposedly a very cold one overall. Must look into this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

03/04/1917 Irish Times

and another one for ye from the 31/01/1917

enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Shows what non descript times we live in really. Despite cries that the weather in Ireland is becoming more extreme, I find this to be contrary to the actual. It was a cold April overall. Temps fell to -6c in places during the opening days of that spring month. The winter of 1916/1917 was supposedly a very cold one overall. Must look into this further.

This would make sense of it

Should Ireland have not been part of mainland Britain in 1917? That map is wrong:p

03/04/1917 Irish Times

and another one for ye from the 31/01/1917

enjoy!

I would love to see this happen again in Swinford. Not the tragic aspects of it of course, but just to shut that snow starved Nacho fella up :p

000304a110dr.jpg

Snow reported in north, north west

Snowfalls early this morning affected some areas of the north and north west.

Driving conditions were difficult in parts of counties Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan and Leitrim. The main Dublin to Derry road between Ballygawley and Omagh was among the worst affected.

Snow was up to 10cm (4') deep in places and some primary schools were closed.
    Police said there were a number of minor collisions.

Elsewhere, icy conditions were reported in Cork, Laois, Westmeath, Wicklow, Wexford and Tipperary.

There were a number of collisions on the N11 in Wicklow and on the old N8 road in Cork.
    Visit AA Roadwatch and Met Éireann for updates

indeed!. it makes a nonsense of people saying it's too late for snow as the sun gets stronger in early spring! i'd love if the same happened this year to teach those people a lesson for turning their back on snow!

• Advertisement

I would love to see this happen again in Swinford. Not the tragic aspects of it of course, but just to shut that snow starved Nacho fella up :p

:pac:
    :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement