Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Shop Fire

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

BZP has already been banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Daniel took two or three pills at a housewarming party last May — then used Ecstasy the next day,
    Mr Urpeth said: “BZP does not cause fatalities on its own - it is only about a tenth the strength of Ecstasy.
    “But it appears to cause death in conjunction with Ecstasy.”

I think you will find that he consumed an illegal drug the day after taking BZP (which is banned in Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

and i think what theyll do is ban the shops from selling anything that can be taken to alter mind state, then you're drugs are gone.

simple as

simple as?

so were banning pubs/clubs, coffee, red bull, pain killers?
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    BZP has already been banned.

but he was my fav AH poster! dam you mods

as long as i have "cake" im happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

Sarah** wrote: »
    This is the only link i can find to a teenage death resulting from Legal Highs....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/expert_advice/article6989754.ece

Mephedrone was ruled out as the cause of death in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Co45

I knew you would post that.

Quess what, he took BZP, survived. Then the next night took illegal ecstasy and died. The coroner said mixing them might have caused the death

Oh and BZP is illegal anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fire fighters have been called to the scene of a large fire at three shops on Dublin’s Capel St.

One of the premises affected is the Nirvana "head shop". Seven units of the Dublin Fire Brigade are attending the blaze.

AA Roadwatch warned there is also poor visibility along the North Quays, and a smell of smoke is lingering over the city.

Anyone off their trollies this morning. :p

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0212/breaking86.html?via=mr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DJ_U4EA

couple of kids were killed after taking herbal ecstasy this year, heart attacks and seizures from what i remember.

and i think what theyll do is ban the shops from selling anything that can be taken to alter mind state, then you're drugs are gone.

simple as

Its this kind of fantastical bull**** scaremongering that makes it hard to have a reasonable debate about this issue. FYI, any death attributed to legal highs has in all cases involved a cocktail of alcohol and other "illegal" subtsances. Add to that the stupidity and naievety of some people and you have a disaster scenario.

Also, you're idea on how to close the head shops is so ridiculous you might want to have a think about it again. How many deaths does alcohol cause per year? No one on the zealot side of the arguement wants to answer that because its the white elephant in the room.

We have a major problem in Ireland, that some people just can't **** off and allow people to live their own lives and make their own choices. Its endemic in this society, reflected by the clueless anti-drug zealots ringing Joe Duffy and the ill informed, ill thought out opinions of the crusader himself. People would do themselves a favor by concentrating on their own lives and stop piously preaching to others on how to live theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

DJ_U4EA wrote: »
    legal highs

Wouldn't a more suitable name be "loophole highs".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Birneybau wrote: »
    I never made an explicit connection between the two..

-Birneybau

There was implication but I gave the benefit of the doubt. Hence the second part of my post. You're fairly articulate for being 'off your tits' though.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

*Coughs*

I saw smoke on Capel Street from the bus, and had my camera handy...

Pics here. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

funk-you wrote: »
    There was implication but I gave the benefit of the doubt. Hence the second part of my post. You're fairly articulate for being 'off your tits' though.

-Funk

Im a high-functioning addict..(pardon the pun)
    Helps me get through the day..

-Birneybau

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Wouldn't a more suitable name be "loophole highs".

No, that implies that that there is some quirk or mistake in the law which allows these, but this is not correct. In our legal system pretty much everything is legal unless it is explicitly made illegal. These substances are not in any way illegal, therefore they are entirely legal, not semi-legal or in a grey area. They are simply not illegal

(yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Speaking on Newstalk FM, Nirvana's owner Jim Bellamy suggested the fire had been started deliberately following widespread coverage of a campaign against the proliferation against head shops.
    “Somebody has taken the law into their own hands by the disgusting media coverage of the last month or so,”

“We have been tried by the media, found guilty – and this is the sentence”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I wonder if the fire was anything like this ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Drop the Dead Donkey :D

loved that show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Sounds too convient

Dont trust hippies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Frankly on the back of these (real) government measures, I'm going to buy some of this head shop fake marijuana, just to try it.

I'll see what all the fuss is about, and if I don't like it, I'll get drunk and beat someone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

stevenmu wrote: »
    No, that implies that that there is some quirk or mistake in the law which allows these, but this is not correct.

Errr you think that if they weren't disguised as "bath salts" (etc) and removed the "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" they would be legal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

A lot of other industries use the chemicals that go into these products so it's difficult to ban them without other reprecussions. And since the law must be specific they can't ban all mind altering substances. The chemical composition will just be changed and then it would take another 3 plus months to try ban that one. And then the process repeats itself. It's unwinnable to try ban head shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I missed the flames but I got a shot of the remains.
    89ab43c8.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It was attached to another shop which is of particular interest in this forum.. Come.. sit down :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055826178

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Business lesson: websites dont burn down

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

rovert wrote: »
    Business lesson: websites dont burn down
    Tell that to Australia

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It was said that you could hear the screams of a thousand sex dolls as the fire raged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Where will I get this months edition of "luke-warm Belgian magazine" now?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

What ! Where will I get all my naughty things? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

alll of those legalised products are soon to become illegal after several deaths

Matt you do know you're talking in untruths don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I missed the flames but I got a shot of the remains.
    89ab43c8.jpg

That is water being sprayed on the shop, right? :confused:

Advertisement