Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering / teaching maths

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

bowdenj wrote: »
    Also Ive 2 years maths complete so if anyone has had their DCU Biotechnology degree assessed before, do you know what modules I need to do... Ive already paid 200 euro for nothing so Im reluctant to pay another 200 to them again for Maths..

Any info would be great, thanks!!!
    Don't know about Biotech in DCU but I have two years of (honours) maths in NUI, Galway as part of my chemistry degree and the TC don't recognise me as a maths teacher. I forget exactly how many credits it made up mind but I'd say you're out of luck unless you can do another year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Did you not hear about the course run by the department (free) that will qualify existing teachers who are not qualified to teach Maths? They are being run locally all over ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Armelodie wrote: »
    good to hear, maybe it was just a bad batch I was going through , is 12 x 12 still the limit these days?

Oh yes, mostly we stick within the confines of the multiplication grid. Don't want to frighten the children with all those infinite numbers:D

and the kids who are good at tables will rattle them off faster than we could!

But the major difficulty is problem solving. It never seems to improve no matter what you throw at it.

Kids are all playing mangahigh this week for maths week and competing against each other online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doc_17 wrote: »
    Did you not hear about the course run by the department (free) that will qualify existing teachers who are not qualified to teach Maths? They are being run locally all over ireland.

please do tell...

juneg wrote: »

Oh yes, mostly we stick within the confines of the multiplication grid. Don't want to frighten the children with all those infinite numbers:D

and the kids who are good at tables will rattle them off faster than we could!

But the major difficulty is problem solving. It never seems to improve no matter what you throw at it.

Kids are all playing mangahigh this week for maths week and competing against each other online

I suppose their still at the concrete stage...vygotsky/bruner or whatever his name was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Armelodie wrote: »
    please do tell...

http://www.ateci.ie/news/88-new-cpd-courses.html

They have this running at several venues but think it started well ovr a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

IThere was a women from ncte and she said that they were developing a scratch module for ty. Scratch would be perfect for ty, I'd love to get the opportunity to do it.

Lero run an annual Scratch competition. It was originally aimed at just TY, then extended to all secondary, even some national school competitors now. They also have a course to go with it, and a great workbook.

http://www.scratch.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

doc_17 wrote: »
    I know about it. I was already in the process of adding a maths qualification when they announced it. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul harry

no wonder mathematics at school is taught so poorly with attitudes like this! with people that never used the stuff and think they know better then the people that actually use it! Good help Ireland's future. Looks like a return to the land is the only option with 5 million mouths to feed!

paul harry wrote: »
    no wonder mathematics at school is taught so poorly with attitudes like this! with people that never used the stuff and think they know better then the people that actually use it! Good help Ireland's future. Looks like a return to the land is the only option with 5 million mouths to feed!

So your saying that students who aren't any good at maths are to be left working the family farm... Now that's progress... Theres more to life than maths you know

• Advertisement
Advertisement