Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Any news on the KK lineout yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

P.J. Ryan, Canice Hickey, Brian Hogan, John Dalton, Tommy Walsh, Jackie Tyrell, J.J. Delaney, Willie Dwyer, P.J. Delaney, Richie Hogan, Michael Rice, Aidan Fogarty, Michael Grace, Martin Comerfrod, Richie Power.

Announced tonight.. Missing a few obvious big names but still it's a formidable side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Is that betting with the head or the heart now Ger?! I think they will win it by a few points tomorrow. Though I wouldn't gamble with the prices offered.

The head, ive an accumulator done up. Given theres a few KK lads being rested, and its their first time under flood lights, in our Semple no less, we've a right chance!

Strong enough KK team,probably as strong as they can put out less the Ballyhale lads plus injuries.Coady is taking this game seriously it would seem,defiantly going to be a tough game now.:cool:

• Babs Keating maintains Cody isn't too pushed about the league.
    • He says the pressure will be on Liam Sheedy to perform this year after all the money invested in the side by the county board.
    • He and Nicky English are of the same mind that Tipp need 3 more players before they can really challenge Kilkenny in September. The half forward line and centre field being the main source of difficulty.
    • Disappointed to see Eoin Kelly moved from full forward for tonights game. Clearly flagging it as an error on Sheedy's behalf.
    • Henry Shefflin will be a better player this year.
    • Cork will be a serious threat to Tipperary in the Munster Championship.
    As usual Babs seems a bit too smug in writing off his own counties chances of toppling KK in 2010. Come championship time Eoin Kelly will undoubtedly play at 14 but he wanted to have a dig at current management. While I don't nececcarily disagree with the rest of his comments, I can't help but dislike this man. Pity he didn't go off to Dubai with his son in law that time he bragged about it on the telly. And stay there.

Best of Luck to Tipperary tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

• He says the pressure will be on Liam Sheedy to perform this year after all the money invested in the side by the county board.
    • He and Nicky English are of the same mind that Tipp need 3 more players before they can really challenge Kilkenny in September. The half forward line and centre field being the main source of difficulty.
    • Disappointed to see Eoin Kelly moved from full forward for tonights game. Clearly flagging it as an error on Sheedy's behalf.
    As usual Babs seems a bit too smug in writing off his own counties chances of toppling KK in 2010. Come championship time Eoin Kelly will undoubtedly play at 14 but he wanted to have a dig at current management. While I don't nececcarily disagree with the rest of his comments, I can't help but dislike this man. Pity he didn't go off to Dubai with his son in law that time he bragged about it on the telly. And stay there.

• If Kilkenny don't take the league serious, why are they always there or thereabouts? Bab's hasn't spoken a word of sense in 20 years.
    • That’s just a low dig at Sheedy because Bab’s failed in his second stint in charge.
    • Tipp outplayed Kilkenny twice last year. Tipp need a midfielder to replace Woodlock, and competition in the forwards is always good, but I think Festy will make a serious impact this year. He has pace to burn and can cause serious damage if his accuracy improves.
    • Eoin in the corner is a lot more use than where he was when Bab’s was in charge (on the bench). This is when I realised Bab’s is a fool. Making this mistake which cost us a AI Semi Final place against Wexford.
    • Henry had a bad year by his standards last year. It doesn’t take a genius to say he’ll be better this year!
    • It doesn’t take a genius to think the Cork game will be very very difficult. Tipp have won in the Pairc once in 70 odd years I think and it’s been a long long time since Tipp won 4 games on the trot against Cork (if ever).
    • Bab’s is about a reliable source of information as Wikipedia.... Take it all with a huge grain of salt.

Agreed looder. I was being diplomatic about his musings because I don't want to turn the thread into an anti Babs Keating affair. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered posting about him at all. It's about the current team and not the opinions of a bitter former manager with more enemies within the county than I have had hot dinners... ;)

looder wrote: »
    • If Kilkenny don't take the league serious, why are they always there or thereabouts? Bab's hasn't spoken a word of sense in 20 years.
    • That’s just a low dig at Sheedy because Bab’s failed in his second stint in charge.
    • Tipp outplayed Kilkenny twice last year. Tipp need a midfielder to replace Woodlock, and competition in the forwards is always good, but I think Festy will make a serious impact this year. He has pace to burn and can cause serious damage if his accuracy improves.
    • Eoin in the corner is a lot more use than where he was when Bab’s was in charge (on the bench). This is when I realised Bab’s is a fool. Making this mistake which cost us a AI Semi Final place against Wexford.
    • Henry had a bad year by his standards last year. It doesn’t take a genius to say he’ll be better this year!
    • It doesn’t take a genius to think the Cork game will be very very difficult. Tipp have won in the Pairc once in 70 odd years I think and it’s been a long long time since Tipp won 4 games on the trot against Cork (if ever).
    • Bab’s is about a reliable source of information as Wikipedia.... Take it all with a huge grain of salt.

+1

I respect and admire Babs for all he achieved for Tipperary hurling but his comments since Liam sheedy have taken over have varied from bitter to absolutely bang out of order. whilst tipp improved a bit under Babs by comparison to previous regimes before him, they were no where near the level that Liam sheedy has brought them to, in terms of fitness, preparation, stamina, technical level. Tipp are now a team that teams, and by teams i include kilkenny, have a certain amount of fear playing. It boils down to biterness and jealousy on Babs part.
    the jilted ex who has seen their former lover in a more prosperous new romance

Anyone else feel a tiny bit ripped off after that shambles earlier?

Gerard.C wrote: »

Bit of a nuisance having travelled to thurles and i was really geared up for it. Not sure they were forecasting that weather though. I felt when there was no sign of the teams it wasn't going to go ahead. Am a season ticket holder so will hit Semple field for the refix Tuesday night, get my values worth. Snow wont save the cats in Sept!! :D

• Advertisement

Yep,traveled up for nothing,was also charged a fiver for parking as well as all the other costs.now people who weren't even there tonight can get in for free for the re fixture.what happens if a person that went tonight can't go on Tuesday night,there's no way to get there money back.:mad:

I'm sick of Babs rantings,I don't take any notice of him anymore.He's gone very bitter.

I was looking forward to this all week.. It was a pity the game couldn't go ahead, but conditions were dreadful so I think the right decision was made. I didn't get as far as the stadium because there was a minor traffic accident on the golf course road that delayed us. Will definitely head up on Tuesday though, game on....

FYI ammended fixture will be shown live.

Tipperary v Kilkenny live on Setanta Ireland | Setanta

Shur we'll give it another go tonight so lads, will we?

Shur we'll give it another go tonight so lads, will we?

We sure will, tis wet and cold in Clonmel this morning but unlikely to impact on the game I'd imagine. Fingers crossed. Just on a point of interest to any season ticket holders I made an enquiry and all ticktes will be credited with attendance regardless of whether they are used or not. There will be no season ticket gate for scanning tonight just open doors.

We sure will, tis wet and cold in Clonmel this morning but unlikely to impact on the game I'd imagine. Fingers crossed. Just on a point of interest to any season ticket holders I made an enquiry and all ticktes will be credited with attendance regardless of whether they are used or not. There will be no season ticket gate for scanning tonight just open doors.

Aye tis miserable in cork too. Really looking foward to it now, should be a great game. We've 2 Waterford lads coming up in the car with us. Should be a bit of craic out of them anyway!

Update: As of 1700 Tipp Fm news bulletin game is still on, snow has been falling, but not landing and the powers that be are monitoring the situation. Game expected to go ahead at this stage.

And it happened, again.... Much more frustrating than Saturday night. :( Probably because we headed straight to the pub on Saturday.

Tonight the snow didn't seem to be half as bad, at least coming from the Clonmel side. Any bit of snow wasn't landing, none of the gardens were white in Thurles as opposed to the first time round. Having said that I didn't get as far as the stadium so the pitch conditions are unknown to me.

Listening to Newstalk on the way home Liam Sheedy was said to have been frustrated by the situation yet he seemed to agree with the decision to postpone the tie, again. It's probably likely that the pitch was unplayable. Some texted the radio saying they had driven from Dublin, so there's always someone worse off out there. The car parks would have done well again. As bad as it was for the supporters it must have been worse again for the players. So we await the refixed game again, possibly on the weekend of March 6/7 but nothing confirmed yet.

Another wasted journey tonight:rolleyes:that pitch looked playable to me and many others.I've been at plenty of games in much worse conditions than that.totally pissed off I have to say.

• Advertisement

The game should have been called off at 5pm at the latest... What was the point in hedging their bets until half 7 when people had committed by then anyway. Weather forecasting methods have come along way, they ignored these and made a balls of this again tonight.

Tipperary will field an experienced team against Dublin in Sunday’s Allianz GAA Hurling National League game at Parnell Park in what will be their first outing of the current League campaign after their first round game against Kilkenny was cancelled twice due to snow. Eoin Kelly captains the team from full forward with All Stars Lar Corbett and Noel McGrath filling the 2 corner forward positions. Tipp’s other 2 All Stars, Padraic Maher and Conor O’Mahony are named at right half back and centre back respectively. This is the 27th time the teams meet in the NHL. Tipperary have 17 wins, Dublin 6 and they have shared 3 draws. There is deferred coverage on TG4 Sunday afternoon.

Darren Gleeson (Portroe)

Conor O’Brien (Eire Óg Annacarty) Paul Curran (Mullinahone) Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh)

Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields) Conor O’Mahony (Newport) Shane Maher (Burgess)

Benny Dunne (Toomevara) Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

Seamus Hennessy (Kilruane MacDonaghs) Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch) Hugh Maloney (Nenagh Éire Óg)

Noel McGrath (Loughmore Cast') Eoin Kelly (Mulli'ne)Capt Lar Corbett (Thurles Sars)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Is there a list of the subs anywhere can't seem to find them and cant access premierview form work, cheers!

Havent heard anything about Gleeson, is he after replacing Gerry Kennedy as the 2nd choice goalkeeper?

Is there a list of the subs anywhere can't seem to find them and cant access premierview form work, cheers!

I couldn't actually find the bench list myself on the main sites I looked at. Suprisingly..

Havent heard anything about Gleeson, is he after replacing Gerry Kennedy as the 2nd choice goalkeeper?

According to Knocknagow who previews the game on premierview Gerry Kennedy is off the panel. So Gleeson has a chance to firmly establish himself as No 2 keeper.

Yep, Kennedy is off the panel this year but Gleeson is a very capable goalie so I wouldn't be to worried.i notice that the GAA hasn't officially said that admission for the KK game on 7th march will be free of charge,there will be war if it's not.

tippspur wrote: »
    .i notice that the GAA hasn't officially said that admission for the KK game on 7th march will be free of charge,there will be war if it's not.

It's interesting that they didn't announce it was free entry as soon as they fixed it alright.. Do they think we'll forget about the two games that weren't? I'd imagine there's no way they can charge entry, in all good conscience anyway. If they did people should vote with their feet and stay away.

Bad loss to the Dubs today Lads,the boys will have to up there game greatly against KK next week or we could get a hiding.

tippspur wrote: »
    Bad loss to the Dubs today Lads,the boys will have to up there game greatly against KK next week or we could get a hiding.

+1

What a **** performance. i hope rustiness is all it is.

• Advertisement

Very disappointing show today.... Ten points adrift no less. :(

The extra game Dublin had probably helped them but still and all they were markedly superior in all positions of the pitch. Fair play to the Dubs they didn't allow us to hurl at all. These things happen in hurling but it's all about how they respond next week now. The timing isn't great though. Should we lose to KK the league will most likely be beyond us.

Advertisement