Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon landing hoax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wonder do the 7 astronauts who perished on Space Shuttle Columbia have living doppelgangers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I think it's something that the flat earthers claim, but at the time it wasn't a common idea. in 2003, 9/11 conspiracy claims were the big new thing, and it wasn't as popular to make fake space claims.

But it's not a fact they would fry. Such a thing isn't something you can "check out Nasa" on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Lad is off his bonce posting crap on Gangland threads...

Most sane Moon Landing Denier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You are referring to the Van Allen belts of radiation. These are belts of radiation surrounding the Earth, indeed they are dangerous, however the Apollo missions flew through the thinnest part of them at high speed to minimize exposure (each astronaut received something like a dose as strong as a chest x-ray)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BailenaMbocht

Just like the real world, nobody is interested in your opinion. Everyone already knows where you stand on most topics. You follow the crowd and whatever the general consensus is.

You probably advocated for wearing masks and couldn't understand why someone wouldn't get vaccinated. Your a follower with nothing of any substance to add to any discussion. No young people aspire to be just like you bc like those that know you the longest you are a disappointment. Any original thoughts you offer these days is you just repeating someone else. Play it safe and continue to argue against the underdog /minority opinions bc you will always have agreement from the majority on your side. This is why nobody recently has asked you personally for your opinion? Family? friends? coworkers? Kids?

Everyone already knows where you stand.

-------------

Warning applied for breach of Charter - attack the post not the poster

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So what 'element of substance' can you add re Donjoe's observation that the video you posted starts with Elon Musk correctly stating that in 1969 we took people to the moon?

As mentioned, the beauty of this is that you don't have to believe anyone you can check all this stuff yourself. Whether it's looking up at satellites passing overhead or pointing a satellite TV dish in a specific direction to receive a signal. If you were genuinely determined, you could borrow or get a Starlink terminal, they sell in Ireland, go to the middle of nowhere here, point the dish up and get pretty fast internet, loads of campers use them.

As for your belief that satellites don't exist, okay, but it's relatively straightforward to perpetuate any false belief on the internet. First we need to get people to reject facts and reality, so we simply plant distrust in proper sources of information; scientists, academia, journalism, etc. We package all that as propaganda and use a name e.g. "mainstream media", wait let's make that even better, "corporate controlled mainstream media". Now we suggest that the majority of people blindly consume this information, and only "special" people question it. We want our audience to feel special, part of an "enlightened" group, who are challenging the norm, pushing boundaries, "waking up" and opening their minds to the real truth. Then it's easy to project that the other group, the public. are the opposite. Like cattle or sheep, followers, unquestioningly grazing on government or media controlled narratives. Now we can suggest pretty much anything and our audience are receptive to it. It's all about projection. It's how cults work, but grifters and charlatans and populist politicians/autocrats also use it extensively.

So where were we, I'm stupid because I think satellites exist, go on..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Here is a simulator of the actual landings, using the same computer + replaying the landing from the actual instructions from the Apollo 11 mission, showing it was indeed indicative that they did land on the moon using a basic computer. It's possible to verify every single parameter used in the simulation as it is fully open source. It's amazing they went through all of this trouble to fake the landing, by really landing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_eBGSe5zEQ

• Advertisement

It's amazing they went through all of this trouble to fake the landing, by really landing it.

All that trouble to make a fake computer simulation decades later that was perfectly accurate and verifiable. But then they forget to light the original scene properly. Or to double check the photos for mistakes.

Most conspiracy theorists don't know about the wealth of information and resources about the Apollo programs and other space programs. They are only aware of space missions when they turn up in the mainstream news on occasion. So there's simply no explanation for how or why the conspirators would go to the effort of faking all of it.

I just watched through a bunch of documentaries about JPL. They had a ton of footage from behind the scenes meetings and presentations. Would love to know if all of these were just faked and scripted? Or are all of these engineers running themselves ragged planning missions down to the last detail are just not as smart as the conspiracy theorists who'd figured it all out.

The Apollo 11 film that came out a couple of years ago really should be compulsory viewing for every Junior Cert student (maybe take 3 or 4 hours out of the year's allocation for religion and Irish to watch the film and discuss it?)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have no time for moon-landing conspiracy theorists but I also don't get wound up ny them. I smile to myself and just put them in the sand bracket as flat earthers. Damaged Attention Seekers (IMHO)

But to the point. I LOVE this movie. They actually showed this in the big screen in blanch (late, mid-week, quiet time of course). It was the very definition of awesome and I recommend it to everyone.

Yeah I brought our kids to see it in the IFC, well worth making the effort to see it on the big screen.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Breach of charter posts deleted and warnings applied.

Folks, if there's an issue with a post/er report it (like some of you did go be fair), don't reply to it/them on thread.

Thanks

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

After reading about yet another half arsed success to land anything (let alone men) on the moon, I thought to myself, why don’t they just use the equipment from 50 years ago? It worked before and now they seem to experience failure after failure with modern technology.

So why not?

They wouldn't use old equipment

a) It's not around anymore

b) They aren't going to "rebuild" 70's technology

It was more unreliable

Modern missions are relatively more successful than missions from 50 years ago. Despite that, it still remains risky. Also, 50 years ago, there was relatively much more money behind the respective programs than today.

a) build new versions

b) why not, it’s the only technology that has been successful multiple times

c) see b

Yesterday’s mission along with countless others was to deliver a probe or a lander or some other piece of equipment. 50 years ago they landed MEN on the the moon not just once. Your definition of success in reference to landing on the moon differs somewhat from mine.

The money excuse is just that, if you think for one second there is less wealth available to not just the US and Russia, but India, China and countless private companies, you must be living on the moon.

So, why not build the old technology and equipment that worked instead of these modern pieces of **** that in comparison don’t.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lots of bits on the SLS are indeed old shuttle era stuff that's spent decades in warehouses. The R10 engines on the upper stages have been the USA's goto hydrogen engine since the 1960's. The newest tech on the SLS is based on the European ATV which provides life-support and guidance.

The Japanese lander landed on it's snot, the US one landed on it's side. Or were they pushed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

Ah come on. As an engineer myself I am beginning to doubt that they landed men on the moon over 50 years ago. They now struggle to crash land an unmanned craft now that has not a chance of lasting a week.

• Advertisement

Thank you for indulging me, I’m no techy by any stretch. Though it hasn’t helped me with my question, why not revert to the old technology that I’m asked to believe successfully landed people safely, and they then took off safely. They can’t land a box now in preparation for an attempt to do what they’ve already done.

So why not just build some 70’s gear, computers communications everything, and do it again the proven way.

It doesn’t add up.

A private mission tips over on landing and this leads you to believe that man didn't land on the moon..

If it didn't tip over, you would be leaning the other way? Some fragile logic there.

Since NASA successfully pulled off 6 manned missions without incident (conveniently ignoring all the other missions that failed or partially failed) how dare modern missions fail, got it.

That's as thick as asking why don't we just use the money from 50 years ago, after all everything was cheaper then!

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If the various space missions are faked, why doesn't any other nation say so?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Imagine the Russians in on the hoax lol losing the space race and the national embarrassment it caused, a globally communicated acceptance that America is the superior world leader, all in order to keep up a hoax for some bizarre unexplained reason.

Nonsense statement.

If you were an engineer it would be obvious just how impossible and ridiculous it would be to fake the moon landings.

It doesn't add to you because you've not actually put any effort into trying to understand it. You have then therefore concluded that the moon landings must have been faked based on this.

You can't believe that people landed on the moon, but you can believe that there is this giant decades long conspiracy to fake the moon landing and other space missions for no dependable reason. And you believe you've cracked this conspiracy because you've put no effort into research.

Also isn't is funny that conspiracy theorists are railing about this failure, but don't seem to have any comment on recent space successes, such as landings on Mars and asteroids. All faked I suppose. But this landing wasn't allowed to be faked or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well as an engineer you should know that while they had 100 % control over the design and build of the landing craft, and the site where it would land, they had absolutely no control over the ground it would actually land on. For 100% certainty, that would have had to be 100% level. Obviously, it wasn't, and it tipped over. It's not unheard of to see a heavy truck tipped over on its side, all because the wheels went off the road, and into a soft margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not to mention the fact that they are currently in a proxy war with the West.

Do you not think Putin would love nothing more to prove that the Americans never landed on the moon and that they have been fooling the world for 50yrs?

It just doesn't add up.

Advertisement