Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon landing hoax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

OK. So satellites are just balloons sent up every night to pretend to be satellites.

I think you can see why such a suggestion is silly and unbelievable.

Also seems like that would be easy to show given that the path of these balloons are advertised well in advance and zoom lenses are easily available.

Flat earthers like yourself don't seem interested in this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There is far more evidence they float on high altitude balloons than whiz around at whatever speed.

What evidence?

However, they are not enough evidence for me. They prove nothing for me, especially when coming from organizations that consistently produce nonsense and cgi/green screen and present it as live recorded facts.

You can believe whatever you want. However you aren't exactly making a very convincing case that our satellite TV dishes are actually pointed at something hung on a balloon that magically stays in the same place

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is far more evidence they float on high altitude balloons than whiz around at whatever speed.

Can you show us the maths for the speed and altitude that these balloons are travelling at in order to be seen at the defined points in the sky each night carrying their fake satellites. Don't forget to account for where and when they appear in the sky over Cork, Dublin, London etc on the same night. The calculations have to work for all locations at the same time.

Better hope they don't crash into each other or the entire jig is up

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as they would obviously be subject to winds and weather, surely they would all eventually just gather in the one area, like leaves in an alleyway.

unless, of course, theres someone out there every evening taking them down for the night and releasing them again the following morning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There is zero evidence that they are balloons, it was pulled out of someone's arse, just like every "alternative" explanation is. They never require any evidence for the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Have you ever looked at the moon at night? You do realise how small a percentage of the night sky it takes up? Do you understand the chances of an object the size of a football pitch travelling at 26000km/hr, 400km away of seeing it pass between you and the moon? Absolutely no chance!

And yet there are hundreds of videos online showing it as though it's a nighty occurence! 😂

Balloons, drones, jets, could be anything flying at any speed and at any altitude. Nobody on the ground has the means to calculate the size/speed/distance so you are clearly using impracticalities to bolster your argument

And the evidence would be trivial to get if it actually existed.

All the flat earthers would need is to point a camera at one of these balloons and zoom in.

Or they could show footage of these balloons taking off or landing.

We've given them tons of examples of people able to actually take a photo of the ISS in orbit. They just ignore that and call it fake.

Oh ok. So now it's drones and planes on top of balloons.

Thousands of aircraft are being sent up every night just to fake the illusion of satellites for no reason at all.

That's very silly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The gas thing is the whole balloon concept, and if it actually existed as a means to mimic satellites crossing the night skies, would probably be a harder system to get up and running than actually just developing orbital insertion space flight & orbital mechanics...

Are the BallooneLites (there, I've given them a name) just there to visually mimic satellites passing over head during (clear) nights? (the balloon guy must be delighted when it's a cloudy night, as he gets a night off) or do they have actual functions like communications/positioning?

The jet stream generally passes over Ireland in a Westerly to Easterly direction, so how come I always see these balloonelites going in various different directions against the jet stream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

There's consumer grade telescopes that can literally view planets. Meanwhile the drones that are flying around the globe aren't possible to grab an image of. Quick Google produced this photo by a civilian and there's others of varying quality. That is not a drone or balloon. So now, it falls back on you and the other poster to produce some proof that there's balloons or whatever pretending to be satellites. The kit for the below image costs about 7000 euro so while expensive, it's not something that only NASA can access.

It is a nightly occurrence, in 24 hours the ISS makes around 16 orbits

It can be captured with a good enough camera.

This app will literally hold your hand in seeing the ISS

Of course, if you don't look at it, that means it doesn't exist, and you can't be wrong about all this, so there's that..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You absolutely can calculate the altitude, speed, distance etc from observing things from a couple of different places.

How did they calculate the height of Everest long before it was climbed? How do sailors navigate with a sextant? How did some Greek guy over 2000 years ago accurately calculate the size of the earth?

Some relatively basic trigonometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

If you have ever installed a satellite TV dish, you would know that they exist alright. Point the dish at the sky and align it to the scientifically proven and easily verified 3mm tolerance and low and behold, TV channels come streaming down. Move it to another advised position, get the tolerance (azimuth and elevation) exactly right and signals from a different satellite will come streaming down. You can calculate the required parameters from your specific lat and long location - (you can find these through looking up data that is provided, ironically enough, by GPS satellites)

Knowing the frequency that the signals are being received on will tell you that due to the physical wavelength concerned (very very small), the signal could not be coming from a balloon as it requires something absolutely dead stable to meet the required transmit and receive alignment position tolerances (its just radio wave theory physics) ... IE a satellite in geo stationary orbit, positioned about 36,000km away in order to achieve the required coverage footprint. If either the transmit or receive side moves out of position by as much as three mill, the signal is lost - that level of accuracy could not possibly by provided by a balloon, or by anything floating within the earth's unstable atmosphere.

In a previous life, as a telecomms tecnician, I installed equipment in the London HQ of Inmarsat... a company that manages satellites. They were using our telephone conference equipment to talk to multiple tracking stations around the world while positioning their satellites in to the required exact geo-stationary positions. The procedure took weeks because of the tiny speed adjustments that had to be made to match with the rotation of the earth.

The signal from Eirsat 1 was received by amateur radio operators all over Europe immediately after deployment last Friday night, as they competed to be the first to verify reception of a coded signal burst from the device, broadcast on 437.1 Mhz. No secrets or conspiracy, the European Space Agency published the frequency and requested help in verifying the exact orbit path.

In 1983, the Irish Radio Transmitter Society (IRTS) set up a transmitter in Dublin and made contact with the space shuttle Columbia, as it passed overhead. If you point a tight beam antenna up to the sky, the received signal has to come from the same direction down and will only be receivable for the time length of 'the pass'. IE the time it takes for the craft to appear from below one horizon, before disappearing below the other. It is all basic science.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 33,126 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure nearly all flat earthers and moon hoax nuts had satellite TV at some point in their lives.

How do they square that circle? Did they say to the installer "I know you're part of this great big satellite in the sky conspiracy, but sure throw one up on my wall anyway. I know you are getting the premiership into my tv in some other sneaky way".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Your incredulity is not evidence. Show the maths that it is improbable if you believe it so. The actual maths show it is probable enough that at any time, a significant portion of the population will experience it every so often.

Hahahahahaha! 🤣

This is like the time another guy entered the thread claiming to be a seasoned nautical expert, pretended to demystify how GPS works then proceeded to tell everyone that there would be no more discussion allowed on the topic 🤣

Took only a few inquiries to reveal the cracks...

This will be no different, I'm sorry to tell you. Firstly, you simply werent pointing your dish at any satellite. You were aligning your dish in a way that it could recieve an emitted television signal from another ground-based dish/antenna. That is all. QED.

I knew you were taking us down the garden path as soon as you said:

Knowing the frequency that the signals are being received on will tell you that due to the physical wavelength concerned (very very small)

Everyone knows, that from television signals all the way to microwaves they all fall under the "Radio Spectrum". The fundamental principle championed by Tesla 120 years ago hasn't changed, only the complexity of the equipment (and their ability to manipulate or utilise different frequencies).

Whether you were a telecomms technician or not, you should know well that TV signals have one of the longest wavelengths of any radio wave in the electromagnetic spectrum.

🙄

This is like the time another guy entered the thread claiming to be a seasoned nautical expert

That poster claimed to be an amateur, it's right there in their post.

"Amateur sailor here who uses GPS to navigate while out at sea."

Just a correction there, carry on..

Touché. The fact that they had the gall to say that it was "no longer up for debate" made me think they were claiming some level of expertise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah that was me saying it was no longer up for debate (with me anyway) due to the absolute abundance of evidence that shows that GPS is a thing that is real, and is an aid to navigation…. Or are the millions upon millions of mariners/sailers around the world all in on it too, or even the thousands of people posting videos of themselves sailing through oceans hundreds/thousands of km from land, yet are still able to pinpoint their exact position on the planet to within a few meters?

Not up for debate with me because I know how utterly bizarre and ridiculous the notion that ‘orbital space flight is not real’ is…. So much so that I am 100% convinced that the ‘balloon believers’ in this thread are simply trolling at this stage, as I do know people can fall deep deep down the rabbit holes with various conspiracies, I still have difficulty believing there are people out there that don’t believe space flight exists…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

@Markus Antonius as you cannot engage in the thread without derision and ridicule of contributors as required by the Charter please do not post in this thread again.

This will be no different, I'm sorry to tell you. Firstly, you simply werent pointing your dish at any satellite. You were aligning your dish in a way that it could recieve an emitted television signal from another ground-based dish/antenna. That is all. QED.

So you'll be able to show us the details of these ground based transmitters that the dishes on the side of people's houses are lined up to then?

Just to give you a starting point for figuring out where the ground based transmitter might be, here is a map showing the coverage for one of the Astra "satellites" and every house in that area with a dish is aiming at the same point in the sky.

https://satfi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/satfi_UK_beam_footprint_2017_v3-1024x1024.jpg

Unfortunately there's a shockingly large contingent of flat earthers out there these days. And by necessity a lot of them argue that space flight is fake. A common thread with these fellows and other conspiracy theorists is that they tend to be a bit coy about their beliefs. They've learned that if they directly state that they believe that the earth is flat people just laugh them off. But if they are evasive about their beliefs they can pretend to be more reasonable and credible. "We aren't claiming anything about the shape of the earth, we're just asking questions."

It happens all the time in other conspiracy theories as well.

I think it's also a good way to tell who's genuine or not. A troll wouldn't bother with the double bluff and would just be open about claiming ridiculous things.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BailenaMbocht

I appreciate your detailed response along with supporting reasonable info.

I believe you stated for satellite TV the equipment in orbit needs to be stainonary in relation to the ground we stand on. We are told these satellites are orbit the planet @17k mph.

Holding a stainonary position seems pretty difficult even without factoring the orbital speed. They would still have follow the earth's 1000 mph rotation.

Previously someone said that this is achieved by gravity. Essentially pulling the equipment around.

I am wrong saying they need to hold position? If not, do you know how they hold exact position given factors mentioned above.

Thank you

Again we see the reason for all of the conspiracy thinking rests on just not knowing basics about physics.

Once something is in orbit, there isn't anything to slow it down. Once a satellite is put into a geo stationary orbit, it will stay there without the need of its engines.

Space doesn't actually work like it does in Sci fi where you need the engines constantly on.

i have never seen any evidence of these mirrors. I do know a lot of civilian amateurs failed to see any evidence for their existence. Wouldn't the placement/orientation of the mirror be critical for reflecting precisely back.

seems like a bunch of lies to me.

are you referring to an illuminated objects moving across the sky?

I have seen these things too but how can i say for certain what I'm looking at?

yeah. Sorry for posting any assumptions i may have.

Because they can only be satellites.

They can't be balloons or drones, because they move too high and fast. Nor can balloons or drones be as precisely predicted. Further the notice that governments send up balloons or drones every night all over the world to fake satellites is ridiculous nonsense and impossible.

• Advertisement

What is your point here?

I was accused of avoiding certain questions asked of me which i believe i have not.

later said i will probably not respond to all the posts where i am quoted for various reasons. This is not avoiding that specific point aimed at me.

You may not understand how that both can be facts without contradiction or maybe you've gotten too many booster shots to see that.

Its responses like your juvenile attempt at "gotcha" that make any reasonable discussion here sometimes difficult.

Advertisement