Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape Hibernia - August 22 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't know about the hares, but this tortoise is going equipped for non-stop.

Mmmm, how very interesting. So you just empty the sachets into it beforehand and sip away as needed? Sounds perfect, but let's say you put in 5 but only use 2 - does the rest of it keep well in the tub for say a week or do you end up throwing the remainder out?

What's the deal with you and the gels anyway - did I read it right that you had 18 in the Orwell Randonnee? I'm guessing that's preparation for the race around Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mmmm, how very interesting. So you just empty the sachets into it beforehand and sip away as needed? Sounds perfect, but let's say you put in 5 but only use 2 - does the rest of it keep well in the tub for say a week or do you end up throwing the remainder out?

What's the deal with you and the gels anyway - did I read it right that you had 18 in the Orwell Randonnee? I'm guessing that's preparation for the race around Ireland?

Yes, I'm getting a few bad ideas out of the way before the RAI.

The gels were a stopgap until my 5kg shipment of maltodextrin arrived. I'll be mixing it into water at maximum concentration to produce something gooey and gel-like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Was just wondering - would the lead group be likely to stop at any food point or will they just keep on going? Not that I expect to be with them that long, but interested to know.

With the stories of potentially being only energy gels at the foodstops, I'll be throwing a sambo or two into my jersey pockets to keep me going.

They are predicting under 3 hours 30 for the lead group, so that says no stops to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

penexpers wrote: »
    They are predicting under 3 hours 30 for the lead group, so that says no stops to me.

38km/h avg? Noice!!
    I don't know about the hares, but this tortoise is going equipped for non-stop.

What gels do you use John Loo-man?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

The gels were a stopgap until my 5kg shipment of maltodextrin arrived.

When I first read that sentence I'd no idea what maltodextrin was but it did kinda sound like something you hear some Columbine-type nutjob might use to create some homemade explosives.

Sounds like you could be onto a pretty cost effective winner there with it being high GI and not having as much of the crap that most energy gels have. Will be interested to hear how it works out and what recipe you're using if it's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

shg101 wrote: »
    I had to google both 'Gilet' and 'Half Wheel'!
    Gilet = Cycling Waistcoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

When I first read that sentence I'd no idea what maltodextrin was but it did kinda sound like something you hear some Columbine-type nutjob might use to create some homemade explosives.

Sounds like you could be onto a pretty cost effective winner there with it being high GI and not having as much of the crap that most energy gels have. Will be interested to hear how it works out and what recipe you're using if it's good.

It's even better mixed in a 2:1 ratio with another sugar. I use fructose. Get mine from same place. I also mix it with 1.6g/ltr of electrolite powder which was great through any sportives and longer rides that I have done this year, especially when hot. I don't cramp on it. I also have caffeine powder but have yet to use it. Keep forgetting I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Signal rabbit
    Esroh
    Lumen
    Lafors
    buzzingnoise
    penexpers
    Ashleey
    anoble66
    Mellon
    Jawgap
    Twin-go
    moby2101
    FrankGrimes + 3
    smacl + 1
    garminguy
    theotherone
    lescol
    Harpz +1

I will be using Sainsburys Grapefruit Hi-juice as my rehydration of choice. It may not be hi-tech but it tastes lovely.
    Does anyone have any definitive information on whether there will be a few sambos going at the feed stops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

My friend has it in his head that you need to bring your bike to the registration tomorrow for a safety check. He's wrong isnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

_sheep wrote: »
    My friend has it in his head that you need to bring your bike to the registration tomorrow for a safety check. He's wrong isnt he?

I say he is and I not taking mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Harpz wrote: »
    Harpz +1

I will be using Sainsburys Grapefruit Hi-juice as my rehydration of choice. It may not be hi-tech but it tastes lovely.

Grapefruit is a negative calorie food buddy, it takes more energy to digest it than you get from it. It may taste nice but unless it's laced with added sugars you're getting nothing from it. On the contrary actually, it may be hindering your performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Harpz wrote: »
    Signal rabbit
    Esroh
    Lumen
    Lafors
    buzzingnoise
    penexpers
    Ashleey
    anoble66
    Mellon
    Jawgap
    Twin-go
    moby2101
    FrankGrimes + 3
    smacl + 1
    garminguy
    theotherone
    lescol
    Harpz +1
    Spyderski

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

_sheep wrote: »

He's wrong, although I seem to remember hearing something similar. You will need photo ID. From the info booklet
    During the registration process, you will be required to show a form of photo identification in order to receive your race pack. Within your race pack, you will receive your race number, helmet number, bike number and your timing chip. There will not be a bike check during registration.
    (1) Race Number – The race number must be displayed on your back during the event.
    (2) Helmet Number – This is a sticker which should be affixed to the front of your helmet.
    (3) Bike Number – Stick the number to the handlebars with the number facing forward.
    (4) Timing Chip – This chip must be attached to the front wheel of your bike.
    The Timing chip is registered to your race number for the results service and will provide times for the race if used properly. Due to the costs of technology, there will be a 10 Euro charge if you lose your timing chip once in your possession. Please ensure that you follow the fixing instructions which will be enclosed in the pack. The timing chip will be detected as you pass over the start and finish lines to provide you with your final timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Heading down from dublin soon. Looking forward to it now, hopefully the rain holds off :)
    Won't be wearing my boards kit tomorrow, wearing my favorite jersey the white giro young riders jersey so I'll keep an eye out for ye all passing me ;)

Good luck to the lads in the first group, John et al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Leaving Donegal soon and at least the wind has dropped from yesterday. Rain showers though here in the west. Let's hope it's only the north west. Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Hope its what you guys are expecting and more. Nothing worse than handing over good money and feeling like you were ripped off.

I'm sure it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Leaving Bantry shortly after lunch and looking forward to it. I think we should name and shame the hotels/B & B's that hike the prices up and refuse to leave out breakfast 'early' in the morning and conversely promote the good and reasonable places for future reference seeing as this is going to run for at least five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Hi folks, turning up on spec to registration today. Anyone know how many places are left at this stage. Don't want two hrs travel to be in vain!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 streacy

Hi guys myself and the gf are doing this tomorrow. Herself mailed the etape people during the week and they confirmed that there will not be any sandwiches, hot food or hot drinks at any of the foodstops. Just the water and zipvit products.
    Hot food will however be provided after the finish in Ennis.

Best of luck to everyone - hopefully the weather gods will be kind...!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

streacy wrote: »
    Hi guys myself and the gf are doing this tomorrow. Herself mailed the etape people during the week and they confirmed that there will not be any sandwiches, hot food or hot drinks at any of the foodstops. Just the water and zipvit products.
    Hot food will however be provided after the finish in Ennis.

Best of luck to everyone - hopefully the weather gods will be kind...!

I registered this morning at 9.30am and speciically asked if there was any hot drinks, hang sangers or caca milis. Reply was as Streacy has indicated - Zipvit energy products only at all stops on the route. Not sure about finish.

• Advertisement

Just a word of warning to anyone who is coming into Ennis in the morning from Crusheen/Gort direction whi is like me and not a native do not take exit 14 as they told me road will close at 6am from the 1st roundabout. Go on to the next exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Jawgap wrote: »

On that last point I stand to be corrected but I'd be willing to bet none of the hotels are being espcially accommodating to participants by way of, for example, providing secure bike storage, a "pasta party" and an early brekkie - "Irish hotels. Putting the spit in hospitality":)

Does anybody know the calorific vlaue of humble pie.........I'll have to carb up on it for tomorrow.......

......staying at the Lynch West County Hotel - we're allowed keep our bikes in the room and brekkie is being served from 5-00am tomorrow (5:30, if you want bacon & eggs!!!).

All the hotel is asking is that bathroom towels are not used to wipe down bikes - cleaning cloths are being provided for that. What kind of hotel won't let you do that!!!:D

Happy to admit I was wrong......:)

Just registered, it was her second past pack! Thank bjeasus! Drove 3hrs to do it... Best of luck to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

All checked in here too. Tried some of the ZipVit stuff on the way out and I nearly barfed. Horrid, horrid stuff.

Better get used to it, looks like a case of 'you'll rake what you're givin' tomorrow!

I'll be taking the 'Esroh's Own' energy bars out of the oven in 5 mins so I'll stick with them:D

But I did go and buy some High 5gels as I learnt in Wicklow
    'Better the energy gel S**T* you know than the gel S**T* you dont

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Esroh wrote: »
    I'll be taking the 'Esroh's Own' energy bars out of the oven in 5 mins

Recipe?

This is what I work on it makes a basic baking tray and you would get 10 bar sizes out of it
    1 cup flour (all-purpose or whole wheat )
    1 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup fine grain natural cane sugar OR brown sugar
    1 cup finely shredded non-sweetened coconut/peanut also works
    scant 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1/2 cup butter, cut into little cubes
    2 tablespoons golden syrup or honey
    zest of one medium orange/diced carrot

1 tablespoon boiling water
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 325F degrees Gas 8. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl; flour, oats, sugars, and coconut. Mix well.
    In a small saucepan over low heat combine the butter syrup (or honey), and orange zest. Stir until melted and remove from heat. In a small bowl whisk together the boiling water and baking soda. Stir it into the butter. Now pour the butter mixture over the big bowl of oats and stir. Bake for about 12 minutes or until deeply golden in a buttered baking tray . Best to cut out the bar shapes in the dough

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

First impression of Etape Hibernia was not good at all. Arrived at 19:30 and there were no goody bags. Although we registered online months ago we were told we "should have got here earlier then". They opened entry again today apparently and hawked the pre ordered goody bags. The goody bags knocking around were pathetic anyway. Shower gel, a cereal bar and a bundle of advertising. No t-shirt, no jersey a-la tour de cure, sean Kelly tour etc. Attitute in general was poor. When asked why the entry was €54, the response was "the price reflects the high cost of organising an event on closed roads". This is Ireland, closed roads mean nothing to farmers and god help us all if it's sunny those roads will be jammers with cars.
    And it's all zipvit stuff tomorrow at the food stops. They can't even give that stuff away for free online.
    Disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cpaul

First impression of Etape Hibernia was not good at all

Same here. Took me ages to find the place to register (where was the signage?!?) and even though I got my 'goodie' bag I had to actually ask for it...I guess the lad was under instruction not to hand them out unless asked as like you said they must've messed up their allocation.

Ok it was only sign in and hopefully tomorrow i'll be pleasantly suprised but so far all I feel is regret for handing over my €50 to sky. Roll on SK next week! Maybe the man himself should give the etape hibernia crowd some tips as I hear he's lining up tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement