Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The bloody crossbar.

Ye have some lovely players in that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

The performance today of the "stacks donkey" did absolutely nothing to enhance the game of football. Cultivated akwardness and body checking (to prevent players running on for return pass) will always stop the other team playing football.

Extremely proud of Clare football right now!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

Hibrasil wrote: »
    The performance today of the "stacks donkey" did absolutely nothing to enhance the game of football. Cultivated akwardness and body checking (to prevent players running on for return pass) will always stop the other team playing football.

Saw that today, and is that not one of the Black card offences?
    I wonder did the four weekends in a row catch up with Clare today. There seemed to be element of tired minds today. It could have been a disaster at a half time with leaking goals but it wasn't. It could have been closer at the end with a little luck.
    One thing for certain. Kerry don't seem to have any new ideas either. The face a major task to get to the next level of performance. They seem to be using the same talent pool now for a number of years.
    I don't think that the took Clare for Granted today; I think they haven't got what it takes to win against the top team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

while i think we were well beaten today and probably played with an element of fear against kerry it cant be ignored the work that has gone in in the last 3 years , if the bigger football counties espically in leinster and connacht that have fallen of the radar in the last ten years had made the same progress we would have a serious football championship

alot of talk has gone on , on this page in regards management since last week in the hurling but some of the blueprints colm collins put down at the start of his regime 3 years ago were

1 convince as many players as possible to play football for the county

2 get promoted to division 2 over 3 years

3 have a setup similar too the hurlers with the use of caherlonan and the improvement of development squads

4 have the footbalers operating on a similar level to the hurlers in the championship

in 2013 clare were beaten by cork in munster at home by 12 points and again at home by laois by 16 points in the qualifiers , it was hard not to laugh at the time of hearing how ambitious he was especially how bad we had preformed in division 4

colins's 3 years are officially up as of tonight , lets hope he has the same hunger for another 3 ,just a pity his father is'nt in charge of the keys to clare abbey

just a pity his father is'nt in charge of the keys to clare abbey

Do you propose burying a few administrators :mad::mad::mad:

If you do... i am still able to use a shovel / spade !!!!

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »
    I think they haven't got what it takes to win against the top team.

They haven't got what it takes - full stop! Stopping people playing football as a defense mechanism is what Meath would have done decades ago.... looking forward to their exit (ABK right now):D

Do you propose burying a few administrators :mad::mad::mad:

If you do... i am still able to use a shovel / spade !!!!

pat fitz prefers a ride on lawn mower for the old clarecastle pitch , but to be fair he did make the money available for collins to get this far just a pity about nearly everything else :rolleyes: in the hurling world especially

Henry Shefflin on Clare Hurling - Irish Independent 30/7/2016:-

"Where does it leave the Clare project? At a crossroads, certainly. They made some progress but it was off a relatively low base after the previous two years.

They're still outside the top four and have yet to make a Munster final this decade. They won the league and were impressive in beating Kilkenny in the semi-final when I felt they attacked the game and had a bit of steel about them. But they never really attacked games like they could have after that.
    Davy Fitzgerald is standing at the centre of that crossroads and has a much bigger decision now than 12 months ago because this year they seem to have got a lot in order. They had the backroom team they wanted, a good vibe back and the right environment, it seemed, to make real progress. They threw everything into it but have come up well short of where they would have targeted. Knowing they had so much right will amplify the disappointment now."

"Davy really has to consider that maybe it's for the best at this stage that he should take a different direction at the crossroads to his players. They need something fresh because they won't make progress with the rigid style they have set out for themselves. Something has to give, whether management or tactical"

Says a lot about where we are in hurling - not in the top four even!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The footballers were disappointing yesterday, they were never in the game, and I mean never, not even before the throw in. They never showed what they are capable of but as has been said already it's been an amazing 3 years and it's only starting, for example Conor Cleary would be a brilliant addition to that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Clareman wrote: »
    The footballers were disappointing yesterday, they were never in the game, and I mean never, not even before the throw in. They never showed what they are capable of but as has been said already it's been an amazing 3 years and it's only starting, for example Conor Cleary would be a brilliant addition to that team.

Agreed with that Clareman. I thought we were very tentative in attack yesterday, weren't supporting runners coming through from midfield, afraid to take a shot on and forwards not showing for the ball. Not sure whether it was fatigue after the last few weeks or fear or a bit of both but they are capable of much better than yesterday's performance. A huge amount has been achieved by Colm Collins over the years so I'll leave it at that and hope we can stay in division 2 next year and get another run of games in the championship and hopefully get a few more players on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Not to mention going for a ball with a closed fist... near the ground...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Newmarket man James McInerney had a great win in the puc fada, strange for a goalie not to win it :)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0731/806119-mcinerney-delighted-with-poc-fada-win-on-debut/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Newmarket man James McInerney had a great win in the puc fada, strange for a goalie not to win it :)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0731/806119-mcinerney-delighted-with-poc-fada-win-on-debut/

What ever happened to him ?

As a youngster he seemed like a shoe-in to hurl senior for Clare for many years.
    Still remember him doing a fine job at full back marking Joe Canning

He got lost in the turmoil that is the Clare senior panel.

The club championships are back the weekend of the 13th for the football and 20th for the hurling, I would have thought it'd be better to have the footballers given more of a break but they're up first

Clare Senior Hurling Championship:
    Round Two; August 20th/21st
    Round Three; September 3rd/4th
    Quarter-Finals; September 17th/18th
    Semi-Finals; October 1st/2nd
    Final; October 16th

Clare Senior Football Championship:
    Round Two: August 13th/14th
    Round Three: August 27th/28th
    Quarter-Finals; September 10th/11th
    Semi-Finals; September 24th/25th
    Final; October 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

The club championships are back the weekend of the 13th for the football and 20th for the hurling, I would have thought it'd be better to have the footballers given more of a break but they're up first

Clare Senior Hurling Championship:
    Round Two; August 20th/21st
    Round Three; September 3rd/4th
    Quarter-Finals; September 17th/18th
    Semi-Finals; October 1st/2nd
    Final; October 16th

Clare Senior Football Championship:
    Round Two: August 13th/14th
    Round Three: August 27th/28th
    Quarter-Finals; September 10th/11th
    Semi-Finals; September 24th/25th
    Final; October 9th

Don't forget the Clare Intermediates are in the final

good to see a master fixture list in place for the county championships , but in fairness the county board need to run more league games through the months of may to august to accommodate all the non inter county club players , most teams are heading into a championship now without any sort of meaningful game in 8 weeks or more

game fixed for thurles saturday evening at 6 o'clock , seemed to take the gaa forever to decide on a venue

Very good point well made

good to see a master fixture list in place for the county championships , but in fairness the county board need to run more league games through the months of may to august to accommodate all the non inter county club players , most teams are heading into a championship now without any sort of meaningful game in 8 weeks or more

Some clubs took a complete break from training and only came back a couple of weeks ago. Personally I can't see why we can't play the championship throughout the summer, it works in Kilkenny and players are as likely to get injured in training as they are in a match, I can't see the reason for not playing it off, I can't see the benefit of playing the county final in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

As a youngster he seemed like a shoe-in to hurl senior for Clare for many years.
    Is that the lad that tried to take the head off Canning? Admittedly Canning previously flicked the ball over his head mid solo. 🙄

He was kicked off the panel for going to portugal ( i think ) on holidays before cork match in munster in 2013 . His clubmate and vice captain enda barrett walked at time in protest .

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bannerman2005

anyone heading to the Intermediate final on Saturday?

anyone heading to the Intermediate final on Saturday?

Depends on the amount of brownie points I work up between now and then, not looking good so far :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Kilkenny scoring goals for fun. 4 after 20 mins

Kilkenny scoring goals for fun. 4 after 20 mins

4-05 to 1-07 at half time
    ryan taylor 1-0
    kevin hehir 0-4
    shane mcgrath 0-2
    danny russell 0-1

clare against the wind in the second big ask now

5-16 to 1-16 in the end , first half killed us off

Was in West Clare for the week-end and heard a rumor that Davy was "in talks" with Dublin with a view to managing hurlers. Any truth in rumor? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Was in West Clare for the week-end and heard a rumor that Davy was "in talks" with Dublin with a view to managing hurlers. Any truth in rumor? :confused:

Why on earth would Dublin do that to themselves, they have suffered enough!

• Advertisement

That's the rumour going around alright but I'd imagine there isn't much more to it at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement