Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Just wondering is there an app or tweak that lets me answer the phone onto loudspeaker with one touch as opposed to swiping to answer and then hitting loudspeaker?This would be very handy & safer for driving!

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

kraggy wrote: »
    Is there any way of getting VLC player on your phone now that the app is gone from the app store?

Lost some apps from my Itunes account and VLC happened to be one of them.
    Great little app. Anything out there as good for free.
    Need to get something sorted asap.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Have a google for vlc ipa and you'll find it on download sites. Copy it into itunes and it should work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Is there any way of installing music on a jailbroken 3GS by bypassing Itunes? put on music by drag and drop?
    Thanks.

Have a google for vlc ipa and you'll find it on download sites. Copy it into itunes and it should work fine

Cant seem to get this to work. Always tells me file error even when I try different files. Does phone need to be jailbroken for this to work I wonder?

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic, just back from the States, was in an electronic store had two Ipads 2 on display, both were jailbroken!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

STIG83 wrote: »
    Is there any way of installing music on a jailbroken 3GS by bypassing Itunes? put on music by drag and drop?
    Thanks.

Yes

Pwntunes. It's €9 but absolutely worth every cent. All updates are free after initial payment. They have a trial version. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

i'm copying this from a thead i started, but should have probably posted it here anyway...

there are tons of camera / photography apps....and some truly superb ones.
    but, i'd love to see picasa come with an iphone app.
    one feature i am looking for, that picasa has but i can't find in any app is 'graduated tint', where you can change the tint of only a portion of a picture...like adding a tint of redness or blueness to clouds to enhance a photograph.

does anyone know of an app with that feature ?

thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

STIG83 wrote: »
    Thanks.

media monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

For the jail broken among you...
    Swype, the fantastic android swiping keyboard is now unofficially available for iOS. It's still in beta so it's not near as slick as the android version yet but word is that it's come on in leaps and bounds even in the last few days so it's safe to expect good things from it. For anyone who wants to give it a try these are the instructions :
    (Incidentally if you don't know what it is google "swype for android" and check out some YouTube videos. It honestly is a typing revolution.It has sped my typing up no end.)

To install:

Open Cydia
    Tap “Manage” at the bottom
    Tap “Sources”
    Press “Edit” (top right)
    Press “Add” (top left)
    enter the following:
    wynd.x10.mx

Now search for iswipe in Cydia and install. It will enable automatically.

Mad to get this installed, when it's downloading the package it says there is an error in a sub folder. It completes but I can't find iswipe in Cydia. Any ideas? Im running 4.0.1 (8A306)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Mad to get this installed, when it's downloading the package it says there is an error in a sub folder. It completes but I can't find iswipe in Cydia. Any ideas? Im running 4.0.1 (8A306)

How do you mean when you say you can't find iswipe in cydia?
    Do you mean that you can't locate it to download it or that you cant find it in your installed packages after you've downloaded?
    If you can't locate it to download try adding the source again. If it hasn't downloaded correctly maybe try and find the apk online and install manually? I'm not sure to be honest.

I'm afraid there's bad news about this app. The latest update has made it awful. In my opinion its pretty much useless. You can try it if you want still though. Hopefully the next update will be better.

There's an alternative in the form of the shape writer app though. Its another swiping keyboard.Its a bit more annoying in that its contained within its own app rather than a key board replacement. However you can mail and text from within it and you can copy and paste text from it into other apps like safari or pages etc. Like I'm doing with this post. Its very handy for writing long things like posts actually. Its super fast and the predictions are excellent. Its not on the app store or in Cydia. If you want it send me a pm and ill give you the link and directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Thank you Jarvis, that Pwntunes App is excellent....:)

You have no idea how long I've waited to be able to do something like this, I've (almost) fallen in love with my iphone again, its such a simple thing to be able to do and it really bugged me having to fight with itunes just to be able to put a few tunes onto my phone.

Does it work with ipods...? I have an ipod Nano somewhere that I won in a competition and I got so frustrated with trying to load music onto it that I just gave up on it the end and discarded it....

I installed pwntunes (I think) so I need to go on to my laptop to use it?
    Probably a stupid question to ask!!

Thank you Jarvis, that Pwntunes App is excellent....:)

You have no idea how long I've waited to be able to do something like this, I've (almost) fallen in love with my iphone again, its such a simple thing to be able to do and it really bugged me having to fight with itunes just to be able to put a few tunes onto my phone.

Does it work with ipods...? I have an ipod Nano somewhere that I won in a competition and I got so frustrated with trying to load music onto it that I just gave up on it the end and discarded it....

Not sure about the iPod. Can't see how it'd work. Anyway, glad you like it. Be sure to add an album cover or any picture and title it cover or cover.jpg and this is what'll show in the iPod app when you're browsing.

I have done and it works brilliantly, I have an external hard drive with thousands of albums on it. Each album consists of a folder with the music and the cover art. On my old Blackberry I used to simply drag and drop the folders onto it whenever I wanted to and they all played perfectly and always displayed the artwork while the album was playing.
    I could never ever get it to do that consistently using itunes, I always ended up with missing artwork, missing tracks or most annoyingly instead of a compilation album I would end up with forty diffferent albums each containing one track....:mad: Itunes didn't seem to like the fact that I didn't keep the external hard drive pugged in all the time and I hated the inflexibility of not being able to add music to the ipod/iphone from any one of a number of laptops that I use.
    I spent hours and hours trying to set it all up so that everything would work the way I wanted to with the ipod and then when I got the iphone and tried to load just a few albums onto that I just gave up altogether, it just wasn't worth the effort. I only used my ipod to listen to the radio and I put no music whatsover onto the iphone and haven't used itunes for many months now.
    I know people 'rave about it', but to my mind itunes is the biggest and must user unfriendly piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to use.
    I would never consider ever owning another Apple product again, regardless of how many bells and whistles its got or how many hours the idiots queue up overnight to obtain, they're over hyped rubbish in my book.

At least with this App I have now obtained the kind of functionality most other similar device owners expect as standard.

Thanks again, I have a busy weekend ahead browsing my music collection for forgotten gems to listen to over the next few weeks...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This free app has probably been mentioned but it's had a recent update which brought it to my attention.

Obviously one does need a good carrier, the 3 service that I have is legendary, but still NavFree shows more road in housing estates and car parks than my Garmin with March's updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Has anyone seen the new ad for iPhone 4 and talking about AirPlay where you can watch/look/listen to your videos/photos/music on a TV?

I've been looking for the app but can't find it anywhere, does anyone here have it or know how to find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the new ad for iPhone 4 and talking about AirPlay where you can watch/look/listen to your videos/photos/music on a TV?

I've been looking for the app but can't find it anywhere, does anyone here have it or know how to find it?

You need an apple tv device. Costs €119

You need an apple tv device....

An Apple device....?

I'm out......

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

Downloaded Nav Free and it's one of the best sat Nav ones I've seen! And it's free!!!! Thanks gbee!!!!!

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    Is there any way of getting VLC player on your phone now that the app is gone from the app store?

Since losing VLC from my system I have tried downloading ipa files of VLC but cant get them to work andneed a media player asap.

Any recommendations between Buzzplayer Vs cinexplayer on iphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

An Apple device....?

I'm out......
    You do realize that an iPhone 4 is an Apple device don't you? If someone wants to use the Airplay facility with an iPhone 4, then owning another Apple device isn't going to be that big a deal to them. And how else would you expect it to work? Something has to be hooked up to the TV to receive the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Glebee wrote: »
    Since losing VLC from my system I have tried downloading ipa files of VLC but cant get them to work andneed a media player asap.

Any recommendations between Buzzplayer Vs cinexplayer on iphone.

I really like o player....I've found it's played everything I've thrown at it.Av player seems to get great reviews also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Brian017 wrote: »
    You need an apple tv device. Costs €119

airplay has been reverse engineered, and is installable on other devices - htpc's most importantly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Sorry to drag you back to Pwntunes lads, I have two questions.

Firstly does it work with an Iphone 4 on IOS 4.3.3?

If so will it work for me? I bought my Iphone second hand and it won't let me link to my Itunes as the phone is linked to the original owner's PC. I don't want to erase and sync so will this Pwntunes app allow me to get around this problem?

Thanks

Pwntunes won't work for me either, the app symbol is not even showing up for me on my screen.

I don't have an icon for it either, when I connect my iphone to my computer it now appears under Windows Explorer as a normal memory device so I can now drag and drop the music straight onto it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Anyone know of a pwntunes alternative that works with OSX?

2ndcoming wrote: »

If so will it work for me? I bought my Iphone second hand and it won't let me link to my Itunes as the phone is linked to the original owner's PC. I don't want to erase and sync so will this Pwntunes app allow me to get around this problem?

Thanks

Yes it will work. 100% sure. Install it and use it for free as a trial and only buy it of you like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

2ndcoming wrote: »

Thanks
    Download sharepod. It allows you to copy all the music and vids from the phone to your PC before you sync

Advertisement