Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

well pryo dident get on him today but iam sure there will be more

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Just want to add my thanks Pyro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Thanks PyRo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

Another amazing result and I was wondering why my bank balance slightly improved (keep playing tiny stake with e/w option). Top job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I haven't bothered reading this log since the flat came to a halt, thinking to myself ah sure he doesn't do National Hunt.

What the fcuk happened??

A1 stuff man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

Unrivalled.

Really great stuff, always good to see a well analysed post reaping the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ft9 wrote: »
    I haven't bothered reading this log since the flat came to a halt, thinking to myself ah sure he doesn't do National Hunt.

What the fcuk happened??

A1 stuff man!

Ban him and his bandwagoning lol

• Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cheers for all the comments lads. Delighted with how it's going.

Bar a couple of slow jumps, Dineur was quick and fluent throughout (which hasn't always been the case in his short hurdling career to date) as he made all of the running to score gamely at Wincanton. He brought in a 2pt bet at 11/2 in the process and looks sure to go on to better things in the future, as I'm quite sure that he's better than the bare performance given how fast he had to go early on in order to stay up at the head of affairs. It'll be interesting to see where he heads next and I'll be keeping a close eye on him, although I don't like backing horses who won last time out.

+11.00pts on the day.

1:30 Exeter - Sound Accord - 1pt @ 25/1 (Boyles, Powers, WillHill)

I could be wasting a few quid here but Sound Accord looks a mightily big price if his recent reappearance brings him on sufficiently, as he's potentially thrown in off a mark of 116 if retaining some of his old abilities. Alex Hales' 10-year-old has only lined out twice in the past couple of years (pulled up both times) due to having had a bad leg injury but word from the camp seems quite positive and they expect that he'll come on for having had that run a few weeks ago. This is also a lot easier than his last assignment and the price makes it a risk worth taking.

Sound Accord lined out in the Southern National at Fontwell (3m 4f, soft ground) a few weeks ago and although he has won at that track before, I don't think that it's a place where he can give his best. Despite running in snatches from time to time, Hales' charge jumped quite well in the main and also travelled sweetly enough before he tired around 4 fences from home. In the end, he was pulled up but it was a very encouraging outing from a horse who probably needed the outing (has in the past) and he should come on a fair way for it.

Connections now step Sound Accord back up to this marathon 4 mile trip and that's something I expect him to relish, as he's quite a one-paced relentless galloper who stays all day. Whether he retains much of his old ability or not is another thing but the handicapper has dropped him another 4lbs for his comeback run and he's nearly 20lbs lower than his peak rating over fences. Despite bordering on 11-years-old at this stage, he hasn't had much racing in recent years and he's not exposed over fences either, especially under ideal conditions. Today, everything will suit and if he's anything like his old self, he should run a good race. I also think the Exeter track could help to bring out the best in him and 25/1 is just too big. It's a bet full of risk though, so a minimal bet is all I can play. Hopefully he'll go well.

3:15 Exeter - Rockabilly - 3pts @ 3/1 (Ladbrokes)

12 runners are set to go to post for this novices' handicap chase but I don't think it's a contest of much use and it shouldn't take a whole lot of winning. Siding with one who's open to significant improvement in this sphere is the obvious way to go and Rockabilly, a horse I've selected on his last couple of outings, stands out like a sore thumb here. His ability to handle some cut in the ground is a bit of a worry but he's surely going to prove to be a lot better than his current rating of 105 and it's only a matter of time before he gets off the mark.

Rockabilly is a Nigel Twiston-Davies trained 6-year-old who was subject to very strong support in a much more competitive contest last time out. He was backed from around 8's the night before into a starting price of 3/1 and it was clear that he was expected to make a winning debut on his first outing over the larger fences (interesting that they threw him straight into a decent handicap). Things didn't work out for him though, as having taken a nice prominent position in behind the pacemakers, he made a terrible blunder at the first fence and dropped out towards the rear of the field - not ideal in a race that favoured those on the pace.

In the end, Rockabilly stayed on from the rear like a true stayer in the making and came home in 3rd place, just a length behind the second placed animal and a further 15 lengths behind the winner. The bare form of the race is quite decent and with this being a massive step down in class for the Twiston-Davies runner, I'm expecting a big performance. As mentioned, his ability to handle the ground is a worry but at least we know that he has no issues with the track having won over hurdles here off a 4lb lower mark and he is the type to do even better over fences. It's also good to see that he's had a month off since that tough race and all going well, he should have a smoother outing here. 3/1 isn't a price I'm usually too keen to play but he's a deserving favourite here and the price is too big (should be 2/1 at most) if connections decide that it'll all systems go. I'll play medium win stakes and hopefully he'll run a big race.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Gal2011

Brilliant Pyro, I have just been watching for the last few days and you have done fantastic, Keep it up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Didnt get to see the race but Sound Accord came 6th I think, not sure how he ran or anything like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

actually pulled up before 3 out but you cannot win them all. Keep up the good work and hopefully the NH season will be much better to you this year Pyro.

Oh pulled up? sorry, in the results checker it appeared to finish 6th haha

You win some alot, you lose some.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Waiting on Rockabilly for the placepot hopefully he does the business..

For anyone using PP, do you ever get a message saying 'You need to place a £1/€1 bet for qualifying for the stream'?

Happened again twice today, head-wrecking.

Unlucky there mate, was on Rockabilly myself, winner came out of way way way left field for me.... Wouldnt have put him in the reckoning at all beforehand

Just to add, i would certainly get on rockabilly again, he ran a good race, stayed on from a long way out and was giving 7lbs to the winner who also ran a cracker

Cant be too much longer before he gets a win

Close but no cigar over at Exeter as Rockabilly could only manage to finish in 2nd place, beaten by an exceptionally game performer who jumped very well from the front. The Twiston-Davies trained animal was a well-backed 7/4 favourite but his jumping wasn't foot perfect on occasions and if he had of done better in that department, he would have entered the winners enclosure afterwards. Regardless, he ran a cracking race under top-weight and will be of interest again in the future, possibly when he embarks over further as he's all about stamina.

Sound Accord was my other selection and although he was pulled up in the end after tailing off, he shaped encouragingly once again. He also didn't jump very well, losing plenty of ground at numerous fences but he travelled like a horse who still had his ability intact and could be one to side with at fancy prices in the coming months. This was obviously not the result I was looking for but he'll be dropping in the ratings again and could pop up sometime.

-4.00pts on the day.

12:35 Aintree - Wyse Hill Teabags - 3pts @ 9/2 (Boyles, Ladbrokes)

Jim Goldie is a man that I can rarely catch right but Wyse Hill Teabags is an exceptionally consistent animal and looks worthy of support in this contest despite hopping up another 3lbs for running such a gallant race last time out. On that occasion, over this 2m 4f trip at Haydock, Goldie's lightly-raced 6-year-old ran a cracking race to finish half-a-length behind the classy Any Given Day. My selection didn't exactly set the world alight with his jumping early on in that contest but he kept on very well under pressure and put in another career-best performance.

Wyse Hill Teabags was having his first outing of the season that day, so race-fitness should be improved for having had the run and if it is, he's very capable of running well here despite a 3lb rise in the weights. Today's track holds no issues either for this talented performer, as he finished a slightly unlucky 3rd of 22 in a valuable Listed handicap when rated 6lbs lower on his final start of last season. I also think that today's race will be run a lot more to suit and if all is well, he should be getting involved under the guidance of his regular jockey Richie McGrath. The ground should also prove to be ideal and overall, 9/2 looks a bit big for one who's still on an upward curve. There's no reason why he shouldn't run well and I'll play a medium sized win stake on him doing the business.

1:25 Sandown - The Betchworth Kid - 1pt @ 22/1 (Bet365)

It's impossible to know what version of The Betchworth Kid will turn up for this exceptionally competitive contest but Alan King's 6-year-old gelding looks well worth an attempt at this sort of trip again (last 3 hurdle outings came over just shy of 2m 1f; tackles 2m 6f today) and he could be up to causing a bit of a shock. This quirky campaigner only has a single hurdle win to his name in 9 attempts but he has more than enough ability to pop up in a good race some day and he's one that I want to keep on side for sure, especially when he's getting conditions to suit.

The Betchworth Kid was a Listed winner on the flat this year and went on to run a few decent races in that code afterwards. He made his seasonal hurdling bow in the extremely tough Greatwood Hurdle at Cheltenham when last seen and although he was never sighted, he was staying on well up the run-in, shaping as if the return to further would be no bad thing. I can't really get my head around the horse at all but he's potentially on a decent mark and should have no problems with today's conditions. It all depends on how he is mentally and if he's on his game, 22/1 is a big price. If he's not, the likelihood is that he'll tail-off in no time. Still, he's worth having a minimal bet on just in case he does pop up.

2:10 Aintree - West End Rocker - 2pts @ 14/1 (Ladbrokes)

The chances of finding the winner of this race are quite slim but I'm sure that West End Rocker has a lot more to give the chasing game despite the fact that he's bordering on 10-years-old at this stage and all going well, he should have a say in proceedings here. Alan King's charge comes here on the back of a very disappointing reappearance run at Cheltenham but he jumped so poorly that I have to overlook the performance and blame it on the track. He's usually a lot better than that and it's an effort that we're better off ignoring completely.

West End Rocker should strip fitter for having had the outing though and the return to a flat, galloping track will help to see him in a much better light. He was also jumping excellently before being brought down in the Grand National in April and there's every reason to believe that he can give his best at this course. The 3m 2f trip is also right up his street and the ground is fine too, so there should be no excuses with regards to conditions. He comes here as a decently handicapped horse off a mark of 137, just 4lbs above his last victory, and the way in which he can travel throughout his races always gives him a chance of finding even further improvement.

Alan King's horses were needing the run when West End Rocker lined out at Cheltenham and the yard are going so much better nowadays, with 6 winners coming in the past fortnight. He's also coming down here with just the one runner and this race is going to decide the future engagements of the horse, as he'll be aimed for the Grand National once again if he shows up well. Wayne Hutchinson is back in the saddle and he's 3 from 4 on board this fellow, which is obviously impressive as he's the only jockey to win with him over fences. If he can get the horse into a nice rhythm as he has done on a few occasions before, I'm very hopeful that he'll run a big race and as a result, 14/1 looks a bit too big. It's an awful race to try and solve though, so it's small/medium stakes for me and I'll just have to hope for the best.

3:20 Aintree - Fine Parchment - 2pts @ 14/1 (Betfred, Ladbrokes)

Another competitive race in which it's too hard to be confident about anything. Fine Parchment is the one I'm going to side with though, as I'm sure that this often beautiful jumper has the ability to run a big race despite having to carry top-weight. Charlie Mann's progressive 8-year-old comes here on the back of a modest 9th placed finish in the Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham last time out, in which he was beaten by quite a long way under his 5lb claiming jockey. It's definitely not form to judge him on and the return to this type of track against lesser opposition should suit, although his only run over the National fences ended in him unseating his rider at the sixth fence.

Fine Parchment made an ultra-encouraging return to action this season when running a fine 2nd on the other course at this track in October and if he's in similar form here, there's a good chance that he'll run a big race despite being 3lbs higher in the ratings. Mann's charge travelled like the best horse in the race off top-weight and jumped like a dream before he seemed to blow up coming to the final fence. He tried very hard to reel in the winner but just couldn't manage it and was eventually beaten by a little over a couple of lengths.

It does rate as a career-best run though and with the market vibes suggesting that Fine Parchment was in need of the outing (wasn't wearing usual tongue-tie either; is today), his progression may not be finished with yet. Everything about today's race should suit, as they'll go hard up top and the ability to jump and travel well should come into play. Whether he can defy top-weight on this testing ground is another thing but he's a sizable horse who may well be at his best when carrying bigger weights against inferior opposition. Regardless, the 14/1 price-tag about him outweighs the risk and he's another for small/medium win stakes. All going well, he should have a say in proceedings if his jumping holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

Hard luck with rockabilly.

Gone for a lucky 15 with your choices today for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭yaaaboy

Segal tipped dippin but the late money still coming for wyse hill

• Advertisement

Something either amiss with him or he hated the ground. Usually travels wonderfully, barely went a yard today and was obviously fancied to do a lot better. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

Great stuff Pyro!!!!:pac:

SHOW ME THE MONEEEEEEEY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Congrats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fifty dollars more

yehawhawhawhaw

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Amazing stuff again Pyro! Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 p_man1

great picking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭rodeo1985

well done yet again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ATR180

LEGENDDDDDDDDDDDDD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Un ****in believable! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement