Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Missed the race, I wasn't on or anything but did it look like he was a non trier to save the gamble for another day? If so he'll be going in the little blue book.

EDIT: 2,000th post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Not to worry xPyRo,there will be other days and while i did not get involved i think you putting it up as a maximum may have helped to cause a bit of a run.Many punters get on board when they perceive a bit of a gamble taking place and some take the view that the horse cant get beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

Hi,
    I haven't post here before but i tried posting earlier on and it seems my posts keep disappearing, are they being deleted?

• Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Yes. This (click) is the fancies for the day thread and if you want to post up your bets, post them there, or start a log.

There are so many off-topic posts in this thread nowadays (extremely pointless price updates, questions and general comments about nothing, etc, etc) and I'm just going to keep deleting them until people quit doing it. Either that or close it down.

Takajan ran the exact race that I was hoping he wouldn't and having been weak in the market, it was hardly a surprise. De Sousa had him held up in midfield from the off and that put paid to any chance he had of getting involved in the closing stages. Regardless, even if he was going all out for the win, I don't think he would have troubled the easy winner at all, so it probably didn't matter either way. He'll be interesting again soon, although I'll hold the horses for a bit longer next time and wait to get involved.

-5.00pts on the day.

Just the one for today.

3:00 Leicester - Dhaafer - 2pts @ 9/1 (Ladbrokes)

Alan King has his string in fine order of late and Dhaafer, his only runner of the day, could step up on his previous form this season now that he gets a stiffer test of stamina. The main worries are whether he's good enough to overhaul the pair who are dominating the market but they look quite a fair way short (in the betting) to me in a race of this nature and taking a chance by opposing them looks to be the best option. What I'm most looking forward to is seeing King's 4-year-old gelding running at a relatively stiff track in a race where they're likely to go a good clip, with the free-going and speedy Fiendish Flame being the one who should ensure that there'll be a generous gallop if he's not left alone in front (was last time out).

Dhaafer has always shaped as if he'd relish a good test at around this 2m 4f trip and although he was beaten a fair way from home last time out, that came at the sharp Fontwell track on soft ground in a race where he was held up in rear, which isn't ideal. He only ran on past beaten horses in the closing stages (wasn't given a hard time) but with race-fitness likely to be improved for having had a couple of runs this season, he should be coming to hand any time soon. The King yard actually punted him quite a bit on his seasonal reappearance at Wetherby but he was expected to be fitter than he proved to be (according to his trainer) and it was a relatively encouraging run despite the fact that he weakened out of it a few flights from home.

Robert Thornton is back on board Dhaafer for the first time this season and that's another positive. The better ground should also be much more up his street and the handicapper has dropped him 3lbs since his last run a few weeks ago. Interestingly, connections now reach for a visor to replace the cheek pieces that were on last time out and hopefully that will help him to find the bit of improvement needed to win here. King also reports that he has been pleasing him at home, although it's probably best to take that as a pinch of salt. If the market leaders don't run up to scratch (fav has plenty in hand for winning easily over C&D last week but 2/1 is a bit skinny; second fav priced on potential improvement), I'm very hopeful that this fellow will run a good race and 9/1 looks like a decent price about him. Small/medium win stakes will do the job and hopefully he'll be there or thereabouts at the business end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great work PyRo, have you been able to make this your full time job now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Unlucky with Dhaafer thought he was gonna get up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

where did he come??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

naughto wrote: »
    where did he come??
    second at 10/1

Dhaafer ran a cracking race to finish in 2nd place at Leicester yesterday and he relished the test of stamina as I had hoped that he would. However, he hit a flat spot just as they began to lift the tempo from the front and ultimately, that cost him his chance of troubling the winner even more than he did. At one stage, he looked likely to drop out altogether but stuck to the task gamely when under pressure and got himself into contention coming up to the last flight.

It proved to be all in vain as the gambled-on JP McManus favourite held on for victory, by a couple of lengths, but I'm sure that Alan King will be delighted with how his animal ran, as he hadn't performed to anything like his best since running a great race at the Cheltenham festival. A step up to 3 miles would make this fellow very interesting in the future, as he's a one-paced stayer who should have no issues with getting that trip and I suspect that it'll bring out plenty of improvement. He may not have won here, but he'll be winning again before too long and can be considered a bit unlucky to have come up against a horse who should prove to be very well-handicapped.

-2.00pts on the day.

Two bets for me today. They're risky enough though.

2:00 Huntingdon - Gauvain - 2pts @ 7/1 (WillHill, VC)

The market suggests that this Grade 2 contest is quite likely to be dominated by the top two in the betting but they aren't without risks at all and at the prices (13/8 & 7/2), I'd rather leave them well alone. Gauvain isn't without his risks either but he's a far more attractive price at 7/1 and should be capable of running a big race if all is well after his heavy fall five days ago in the Grade 1 Tingle Creek at Sandown. Nick Williams certainly wouldn't be running what is one of his better animals if all wasn't well and I'm sure that this relatively weird character can run up to his best here.

Plenty of good judges believe that Gauvain is only capable of giving his best when fresh but I'm hopeful that this isn't the case. He has run some very good races on the back of short breaks and it's probably more a case of when he wants to do it, he can do it. With ground conditions to suit and 2m 4f at this speedy track being something that I feel could help him find even more improvement, his price looks a bit generous as it stands. He ran a very good race at Cheltenham first time up this year and he's clearly an exceptional animal when on song, so there's no reason why he can't get involved and he's obviously in good form given how well he ran when winning last month.

The form of the stable is also very encouraging, as Nick Williams is getting plenty to run well lately and more than enough of them are seeing the winners enclosure after they're finished. Noel Fehily being on board is another plus due to his exceptional record on the horse (6 wins, 5 places, 17 rides) and he does very well when riding at this track too. If Gauvain is on his game today, there's a fair chance that he can add to his sole Graded success, achieved in a weak enough novices' chase nearly a few years ago. The race should be run to suit too and if he avoids his usual mistakes, he'll be there or thereabouts as they run for home. 7/1 is too big and small/medium win stakes will do the job. The pair at the head of the market will be tough to overhaul but if they don't run to their best, Nick Williams' charge is the one I expect to take advantage.

2:40 Ludlow - Midnight Haze - 3pts @ 8/1 (Boyles, Ladbrokes, WillHill, VC)

It's quite hard to know what to expect from Midnight Haze given the fact that he has been off the track for nearly a year but this previously progressive 9-year-old has won first time up on each of the last two seasons (including at this track last year) and should have no problems with getting competitive on the back of an absence. Kim Bailey's charge is still quite lightly-raced and further improvement shouldn't be ruled out at all, so it's hard to ignore him off a mark of 128. I also don't think that this race will take a whole lot of winning and the main worry is how much he'll get pestered at the head of affairs, as he likes to make the running and if he goes off too quick over this 3m 1f trip, he may not get home.

Regardless, Midnight Haze is rated as being an 8/1 shot here and that underestimates his chance, as he has most things to his liking. The ground will be fine, the track is right up his street and the opposition are no great shakes. The main basis for his price are his disappointing efforts last twice but one of those came over an inadequate 2m 5f trip in a race where he was forced to go off much too quick for his own good. The other came at Sandown, over just shy of this trip, in which he was a very well-backed 4/1 shot (in a much tougher contest). However, he ended up disappointing on quite testing ground (pulled up) and was subsequently found to have broken a blood vessel, so it's best to overlook that performance.

Bleeders are said to go best when fresh and that's more than likely to be the case with Midnight Haze, who usually runs up to his best when running on the back of a break. Kim Bailey often leaves plenty to be worked upon with his runners but I'm hopeful that he'll have this fellow fit and raring to go on his first outing of the season. The yard are also in cracking form of late, with 4 winners and 4 places from their last 10 runners, which is obviously encouraging. Jason Maguire being on board is another plus, as he knows the horse well having guided him to a couple of wins over fences and he's riding as well as anyone lately. Overall, 8/1 is much to big about Kim Bailey's animal in a race of this nature and although he's not without his risks, this may well be the time to catch him. Medium win stakes for me and hopefully he'll run well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

wooohooo!! have you the lotto numbers?!!!
    went out a bit at start but great win

Good man Pyro great picking 15/2 thank you very much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ATR180

As I said before I'll say again.....LEGENDDDDDDDD........masterful picking XPYRO......:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Well done Pyro! GET IN! Thanks so much! Another donation will be on the way:)

thanks pryo did 3 bets to have won 3 races

Lovely lads. Owed ye that after the hilarity of the other day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

x PyRo wrote: »
    Lovely lads. Owed ye that after the hilarity of the other day. :o
    You owe us nothin man, thanks yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Oh I missed this one.

Wondering now should I get on the next...

You owe us nothing we owe u about a million pints

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Ty sir, great stuff, you owe me nothing im still playing with the winnings you have provided me,

it is me sir who owes you.

• Advertisement

Oh my God. Double!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

sick i didnt back the double!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

Super stuff Pyro.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

GREAT PICKING AGAIN PYRO! What a day! Wonder what the odds were for a double?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ATR180

CHEERS AGAIN PYRO .....YOU LITTLE BEAUTY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭markc91

You beautiful man :) had 2 4 euro singles and a 2 euro double :) legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Fuppin hell, nice going bud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fifty dollars more

outstanding picking

Pyro you legend had them both in a lucky 15 with a 3-1 shot , €306 back for €15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Missed the first one but made sure i was on the second.
    Super stuff.

Did you do the double yourself??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement