Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PyRo's Horse Bets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

Great picking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you are avoiding the donkeys from now on we could be going head to head to a degree - you with your skills and me with a system.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056461105

Be interesting to see which fares best. :)

mike65 wrote: »

Be interesting to see which fares best. :)

Going with SP prices and you veering towards the shorter priced ones I reckon at best you'll see 90% of your outlay back longterm :( (apologies but when going with SP and level stakes that's the likelihood)

anyway, these logs aren't a competition, thank feck :pac: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mighty that yav hit the winning form again Pyro! Must start following this thread more religiously now:pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cheers for all the comments lads. It's always nice to constantly shut the "it's impossible to make money backing horses without inside information" people up.

Best of luck with the log Mike, although I'm one who hates systems thoroughly! :pac:

Arctic Ben continued to prove what a weird horse he is - as despite switching to a left-handed track having jumped markedly left on numerous attempts going the other way around, he started jumping out to his right in the early stages of this race. He got it together a lot better in the middle stages of the race but he was always a sitting target as they went on the long run for home and could never stretch away from the field - down to a lack of the quickening factor more than anything.

In the end, he was a fair way back in 4th place but it was a decent run until the home straight and he'll eventually get off the mark when it all comes together - although I may well leave him alone now but we'll see what he's up against next time out.

Sivola De Sivola was taken to improve for the step up to 3 miles for the first time and he did exactly that having stayed on stronger than anything else to win a shade cosily in the end. Brennan had to stoke him along a fair way from home in order to keep Tom George's lightly-raced charge up with the pace but he often needs this to happen and responded excellently as usual. I never had much doubt that the pair would end up victorious after they turned for home and there's a lot more to come from this animal yet - especially when he gets his jumping together, as he's less than impressive in the hurdling department.

Delighted to get another winner in a staying hurdle race and this fellow look like one to keep on side for another little while yet. He's said to be the type to develop into a much better staying chaser and it'll be interesting to see how it goes when he tackles that code. I will definitely be keeping an eye out anyway.

Over at Wolverhampton, Riflessione was the one that got away. The market vibes were extremely positive for the in-form Ron Harris sprinter (10's into 5's) but having broke wonderfully to get a nice sit at the head of affairs, he was reined back and started to lose his position rapidly (I'm still unsure as to why or how). He was then hampered as they went around the bend but ran on stoutly in the closing stages to finish in 3rd place, 2½ lengths behind the winner and never nearer than at the finish.

I'm not sure if he would have won anyway (winner was impressive and well-handicapped) but it's a definite that he would have troubled the winner and the effort can be marked up a fair way. He's one to remain interested in over the winter but the Harris yard are tough to get right and this was the time to get one of their horses - just a pity it wasn't the right result in the end. He ran a cracker though, so I can't complain really.

+9.00pts on the day. Happy out and the inevitable Saturday losses are paid for (haven't had a good Saturday in ages).

1:30 Newbury - Iron Chancellor - 2pts @ 10/1 (PaddyPower)

The Nicky Henderson trained favourite is likely to be all the rage here but Iron Chancellor put in a very eye-catching round of jumping on his chasing debut and can do even better here if all is well. Alan King's lightly-raced 6-year-old was relatively unfancied on his opening run of this season, which came over 3 miles at the testing Exeter track on quite soft ground. He was quite weak in the market that day, going off as a 12/1 shot but in the end, he performed a lot better to finish 4¼ lengths behind a useful type who knows that track inside out. It's not form to get too carried away with but with a bit of improvement, this animal is sure to improve on his current rating of 129 before too long.

The main cause for optimism was Iron Chancellor's exemplary jumping, as he barely put a foot wrong on what was his first attempt racing over fences under rules (was a two-time PTP winner in 2010). Exeter isn't exactly the easiest test of jumping that you'll find and I think his fencing will always prove to be a massive asset for King's charge. He also traveled very well behind the leaders and according to his trainer, he "just got a bit tired two out".

It's very likely that Iron Chancellor will come on a fair bit for having had that outing and the step back in trip (running over 1½f shorter today), being combined with a flatter track, should help to bring out the best in him if my judgement is in any way correct. It's obviously a hot contest with 15 runners being set to go to post but they'll go a good clip up-front and that will also suit. Small/medium win stakes are all that I can play in a contest like this but barring disaster, he should run a good race and hopefully he does exactly that.

2:05 Newbury - Raya Star - 2pts @ 8/1 (Bet365, VC, WillHill)

Empire Levant (9/4), representing the in-form Paul Nicholls team, looks like he'll be very tough to beat in this Listed handicap but taking on one who is coming into this race on the back of just a couple of days since his last outing (which he won by 29 lengths and is unpenalized) could be the right thing to do and Reya Star is the runner to oppose him with. This keen-going 5-year-old is yet another Alan King trained animal that I'm going to side with and although he's up 12lbs for winning at Wetherby last time out, the way in which he went about business was quite impressive.

Reya Star was keen early on in the race, as he so often is, but he traveled like a talented horse and put the race to bed with a very telling turn of foot, eventually finishing the race out well within himself. He won like a horse with so much more to give (albeit in a poor enough race) and although a mark of 132 makes things tough now that he's markedly up in grade, along with the fact that he could lose his chance from just being over-exuberant, everything about today's race should suit lightly-raced animal.

There is definite room for improvement with Reya Star's hurdling but the likelihood is that he'll be a lot sharper for his winning reappearance nearly a month ago (a career-best by some way) and I'm hopeful that he'll do a lot better in that department today. He's one of the more risky bets that can be found today but he's 8/1 and that's a fair price. Small/medium win stakes again and if he settle well and jumps well, he should be there or thereabouts at the business end of proceedings.

Previously advised.

3:10 Newbury - The Giant Bolster - 2pts @ 20/1 (Coral, PaddyPower, Ladbrokes)

There will come a time when The Giant Bolster manages to complete in a very good race over fences and if he does that here, I've no doubts that he's more than good enough to become the first 6-year-old winner of this race for five years. David Bridgwater's charge has obviously been a disappointment in the main, as he has failed to complete on 4 of the 6 occasions that he has run over fences. However, after a summer of training in that department with jumping guru Yogi Breisner, he was expected to go well in the Paddy Power Gold Cup at Cheltenham a couple of weeks ago - for which he was sent off as a well-backed 10/1 shot (Pricewise influenced).

Things obviously didn't go well for The Giant Bolster, as I wouldn't be getting 20/1 about him here if they did. However, it wasn't his fault that Tom Scudamore decided to somersault out of the saddle after he jumped the first fence quite well and I feel he's certainly worth taking another chance on here. A rating of 146 is surely not the limit of this well-built animals ability and if it all comes together in the jumping department (Bridgwater is adamant that he's "a brilliant jumper at home"), he's sure to run a big race.

The Giant Bolster has won both times that he has got a clear round in over fences and both were quite impressive performances, despite the fact that he didn't jump too well on occasions. He has a great engine, gallops all day, travels well and the only thing stopping him from mixing it with the best is his ability to avoid making costly blunders. I've a sneaky feeling that he'll really enjoy the jumping test at Newbury in a race of this nature and the 3m 2½f trip promises to bring out a lot more from his locker if he can just manage to stay upright (and races relatively handy). He also has a lovely racing weight of 10st 4lbs and ground conditions are perfect too. It's a clear risk backing a horse like this but I've no doubts that he's a very high-class individual and it will eventually go right for him. 20/1 is too big and small/medium win stakes will do the job. Hopefully he'll get around at least and it'd be lovely if he could go on to win!

3:45 Newbury - Crescent Island - 2pts @ 16/1 (Ladbrokes, VC, WillHill)

Crescent Island is prone to the odd blunder, like most of my selections today, but he's a very talented horse on his day and looks quite overpriced in a contest where he is one of the more classy types. Nigel Twiston-Davies' 8-year-old gelding comes here on the back of a disappointing reappearance, which came over 3 miles at Haydock. After the eleventh fence, he had to be pulled up by his jockey having made a horrendous blunder (saddle slipped subsequently) when still going as well as anything in a quite decent race.

Crescent Island's jumping was very good in the main up until that point and although it wasn't ideal to see him go out of the race like that, it seems to be the main basis for such a large price here, as everything else is spot on. Race-fitness should also be improved for having had that outing and this step back to 2m 4f should suit at this track (where he has won and placed over hurdles previously), assuming he's not hindered by having to go a bit quicker into his fences (making him even more prone to mistakes). Nigel Twiston-Davies also says he's "in very good nick" and all going well, he should be able to get involved here.

He's a strong-travelling type who should appreciate how this race is run and with no problems with regards trip, ground or track, I wouldn't be surprised to see him give the market leaders a bit of a scare. Crescent Island is a very talented horse on his day, as shown when bolting in off 7lbs lower at Wetherby in February (on back of 22 month lay-off), and small/medium stakes are the play once again. If he jumps well, he's bound to run a big race and any market support would be interesting, as I'm sure that he shouldn't be anything near 16/1. He's another risky one though and anything could happen - hopefully victory.

3:30 Newcastle - Hey Big Spender - 4pts @ 9/2 (Bet365, PaddyPower, VC)

Time to back another sketchy jumper and this time it's Hey Big Spender, a finely built 8-year-old chaser that represents the Colin Tizzard yard. Whether or not he'll get away with the likely good ground is a bit of a risk (all wins on good-to-soft or worse) but connections say it's 2m 4f on soft ground or 3m on good ground that he's after and if they're correct, he should take all of the beating here at a track that is sure to suit. The Tizzard's are also making a 660+ mile round trip in order to run him and one other at this track, and I doubt they're doing that for the fun of it.

Hey Big Spender is always at his best when carrying big weights against inferior rivals and that's the case again here, as he's going to be carrying at least a stone more than his nearest rival in the weights once the jockeys claim is taken into account. That wouldn't worry me at all though and he's a much better betting proposition in this race than any of his rivals - I fail to see how he's deemed to be a 9/2 shot (it may be obvious after the race!). He's on his last winning mark too having been dropped a pound for running well in a good Grade 3 contest over 3m 3½f at Cheltenham and that was his first outing of the season, a most encouraging one at that.

Minella Theatre currently holds favouritism on what is his first start for the Lawney Hill stable and although he has an excellent record first time up, I just can't fancy him at the price given how many problems have blighted his career. He's potentially very well-treated but he's 7/2 and shortening, which just isn't right. Hey Big Spender is the one to beat and should be no bigger than 2/1, possibly shorter. If he avoids his customary jumping mistakes and travels with his usual fluency, he could win this doing cartwheels and the likes. Whether he'll do that or not is another thing but it's a borderline maximum bet for me due to the price and hopefully he can oblige.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fifty dollars more

Lucky 15 methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fifty dollars more

oops lucky 31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

x PyRo wrote: »
    Nah, each-way punting isn't my thing unless I'm really, really confident that they'll place. I like to go for the all-or-nothing sort of horses, so I'll just stick all on the nose instead of splitting stakes in half and going each-way.
    I've decided to run a small experiment - as I can't tail you with serious money on daily basis (would need a decent bankroll as you are streaky), I decided to put a tiny stake for every horse you back strictly with each-way selections. We'll see how it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Couldnt resist a 2cent e/w L31 myself. The Accum alone is about 135000/1 LOL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

winner-icon17.jpg

• Advertisement

Gamble landed. Day saved. Get the fuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Get in Hey Big Spender!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Congrats Pyro, saw your big stake and followed accordingly lovely bet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

PyRo PyRo he's the man, if he can't tip them noone can :D

Fantastic day so far (went e/w on the two earlier horses and made a slim profit, then win + win/e-w on Big Spender)

(y)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

TIP TOP Sorted my saturday night out! Thanks Lord Pyro!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bruckey2345

Thank you Pyro :D you legend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

fair play, have backed them all e/w so you've real well for me

sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Almost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

top stuff sir, EW singles, doubles, trebles, landed

• Advertisement

Should have been collecting another small fortune there. I think he idled again, as he has done before. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I'm not so sure he did.

Unlucky though Christmas Tree,was shouting him on <3

Sick, sick, sick, sick as a dog. Would have preferred if he tailed off, just so I didn't have to see the money flashing before my eyes! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

after a day like that you must be tempted to go e/w sometimes

x PyRo wrote: »
    Sick, sick, sick, sick as a dog. Would have preferred if he tailed off, just so I didn't have to see the money flashing before my eyes! :-(

Do u ever put in a lay around 1.2 or 1.3 before race? sickened i didnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

Legend.

Each way lucky 15 on the 4 selections today. Beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Fair play yet again. Now I must work out my 5c ew lucky 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

Nice one Pyro, not a big gamble but 50c each way fourfold got me €85,cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mark and lard

good work pyro , you remind me of fryboy from the betfair forum. He was and is still i assume very good. he went downhill a bit when he went to being a pay tipster , good luck to you if you go that route you deserve some financial reward from us sheep , but i'm sure you don't need reminding of the added stress that goes with that. Anyhow happy days all round for now.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

Great great work as always @PyRo!
    got some e/w money back too :):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement