Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Supercell wrote: »
    The radar image seems to have a blind spot around Waterford , is it dry there right now?
    homolumo wrote: »
    no way. still bucketing down and no sign of a let up
    Thanks, i was hoping a dry spot was on the way here.
    OK no i wasn't.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

looks like natcho libre is still having some percip? Hows my knock airport doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Snowing a lot in Stepaside, i would say there is 3-4 inches and it's still coming. there was nothing on the ground this morning.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Like a blizard up here with me, no sign of it letting up yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    sorry im confused on what way this system will work when it arrives as will temps rise a degree before it comes and start as rain then turn to snow and drop temps and lie im confused?

Its all down to dew points, if your dew point is low (Around 0) u should see snow. Air temp is not really that important as long as its not to high (2.5c)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Looking at whats falling here I would say Nth Dublin has snow chance of seeing snow on the ground..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    Its all down to dew points, if your dew point is low (Around 0) u should see snow. Air temp is not really that important as long as its not to high (2.5c)

well its around 2c here now and apparently in eglinton the dp is 0c so hopefully it will be snow if all that precipitation falls as snow we are bound to have a covering by the morning and it could be pretty deep!:D:D:D

DP at Dublin Airport is 1 and all thats falling here is sleet/wet snow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

how do I find the dp for celbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

sorry im confused on what way this system will work when it arrives as will temps rise a degree before it comes and start as rain then turn to snow and drop temps and lie im confused?

It just started as snow here and then just set up camp, still here nine and a half hours later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

well its around 2c here now and apparently in eglinton the dp is 0c so hopefully it will be snow if all that precipitation falls as snow we are bound to have a covering by the morning and it could be pretty deep!:D:D:D

Best of luck with that. If the amount of rain we got here today fell as snow we would have to be declared a disaster. As it is, its close to that in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

It is still snowing in Carlow and really cold outside. I'd say the roads will be lethal in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

wish it would stop raining as the water levels around the house are getting a little too high

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Howth is 1.1c/0.5c

Ummm i wonder is it snowing up there.

Definately much sleetier here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

looks like natcho libre is still having some percip? Hows my knock airport doing?

yes it's still snowing but lightly now. i think the heaviest stuff is gone for good. there is about 2 and a half inches on the ground now. it's just a pity it didn't all start off at night because with lower temperatures there could have been a serious dumping overnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Moderate driving snow here over the last while. Looks wonderful and is lying faster than its melting currently. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

clutching at straws, but it'd be nice if that low moved over towards us eventually.

that does look nasty for london though if it comes across.

Wonder when/if it will hit London? Due to fly into Heathrow tomorrow night till Thursday night!

On a side note, the pretty lady who cut my hair today in Dublin CC said that this will be normal winters for Ireland in future and that next winter will have even more snow! She was from Latvia and has as much a right as a Donegal postman to predict weather :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Leeside wrote: »
    Best of luck with that. If the amount of rain we got here today fell as snow we would have to be declared a disaster. As it is, its close to that in some places.

yea im excited if it does fall as snow or even starts as snow it will probably start as sleet here maybe rain but its bound to turn to snow long afterwards... i just have a bit of worrying as the last event was sleet instead of snow then the one before that was snow then sleet then snow then snow im just worried....... but it seems to more of a risk of snow for here then the last event i will be so happy if there is a deep covering of snow here in the morning not a slushy deposit of 1cm because this melting has made things look awful!:mad:

Howth is 1.1c/0.5c

Reckon it could turn to snow WC ? I mean does the DP not drop off after dark or is that under a different set of circumstances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Given up on the snow in Naas !!! Nothing coming out of the sky the past 2 hours :mad:

Watching Extreme Universe on Nat Geo instead... some mad space weather to try and cheer me up !!! :pac:

• Advertisement

yea im excited if it does fall as snow or even starts as snow it will probably start as sleet here maybe rain but its bound to turn to snow long afterwards... i just have a bit of worrying as the last event was sleet instead of snow then the one before that was snow then sleet then snow then snow im just worried....... but it seems to more of a risk of snow for here then the last event i will be so happy if there is a deep covering of snow here in the morning not a slushy deposit of 1cm because this melting has made things look awful!:mad:

Your main concern should be the precip getting as far as you Owen. Or should i say Eoin???? ;)

francosp wrote: »
    Reckon it could turn to snow WC ? I mean does the DP not drop off after dark or is that under a different set of circumstances ?

Well the at this rate it will in Howth anyway.

I see Dublin airport is also down to 1/1c

We really are just .5c away from snow.

Such an agonisingly close miss if we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

still wet snow in rathfarnham

just to let everyone know discovery chanell, how its made is doing a program on how they get the weather in the us from radar, static stations and satellites. worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Howth is 1.1c/0.5c

:D hope so,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Near blizzard-like conditions here for the past 2 hours, about 1cm sticking so far, temperature 0.5C.

Our Sky signal is gone, my wireless broadband is on it last legs, it's horrible, wet, slushy stuff but heh, it's white, it's snow and it's more than we've had this entire cold spell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

francosp wrote: »

I found this helpful:

Dew And Frost
    When a jug full of iced drink is taken out of the refrigerator, water droplets condense on the outside of the container (provided the jug is made of a material which is a good conductor of heat, such as metal). This happens because the jug is at a lower temperature than the dew-point of the air.
    'Dew-point' is defined as the temperature at which the air, when cooled, will just become saturated. For example, on a summer's day when the air temperature reaches 18°C, the dew-point might typically be 8°C. By sunset the air temperature may have fallen to 12°C, but the dew-point will still be around 8°C. During the night the temperature continues to fall and if it reaches, say, 7°C the temperature of the ground is below the dew-point of the air and droplets of moisture begin to form - this is dew. Since the air is now being 'robbed' of some of its water vapour, the dew-point of the air will actually start to fall very slightly.
    Next morning, as the incoming solar radiation gathers strength, the dew will evaporate and the grass will become reasonably dry (and suitable for sitting on during the day). However, in winter, when calm conditions prevail, the daytime evaporation may be so slow that dew may persist all day.
    Hoar-frost is composed of tiny ice-crystals, 'feathery' in appearance when well developed. It is formed by the same process as dew, but occurs when ground temperatures are below freezing point. Consequently, when the grass is covered in a white hoar-frost at dawn it cannot be assumed that there has necessarily been an air frost.
    Sometimes dew forms during the evening and subsequently freezes to become hoar-frost with globular ice on the grass.
    Snow
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Snowflakes can be formed by the collision of ice crystals within clouds. This is known as the process of aggregation and usually accounts for the larger snowflakes that are seen to fall. Smaller snowflakes are formed by the Bergeron-Findeisen process. Supercooled water droplets (i.e. those with a temperature below freezing) are 'picked up' by the falling ice crystals. The ice crystals grow at the expense of the water droplets.[/FONT]
    For snow to reach the ground the air temperature must be no more than 2°C. One would expect the falling snow to melt as soon as the temperature rises above freezing, but this is not so. As the melting process begins, the air around the snowflake is cooled. At temperatures above 2°C the snowflake will melt to become 'sleet' or rain. In this country, the heaviest falls of snow tend to occur when the air temperature is between zero and 2°C.
    • Individual ice crystals and snowflakes can be the shape of prisms, plates or stars - but all have 6 sides.
    • 30cm of fresh fallen snow has about the same water equivalent as about 25mm of rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Moderate driving snow here over the last while. Looks wonderful and is lying faster than its melting currently. :)

good stuff paddy1. perhaps you should put some snowballs in the freezer to keep you going if we get a prolonged period of mild weather. afterall there is nothing quite like pegging snowballs at friends in the middle of may:pac:

Howth is turning to snow territory.

0.9/0.4c

I almost wanna head over and see :eek::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

here in saggart temp is .7 and dp is .4 and still feckin sleet

• Advertisement

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Near blizzard-like conditions here for the past 2 hours, about 1cm sticking so far, temperature 0.5C.

Our Sky signal is gone, my wireless broadband is on it last legs, it's horrible, wet, slushy stuff but heh, it's white, it's snow and it's more than we've had this entire cold spell :D

Where are you? Thanks

Advertisement