Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not sure if this is really a Consumer Issue, but this seemed to be the best place to put this...

I buy TV Licence stamps every two weeks. Usually, I buy two and stick them in my little book.

What normally happens is when I go to buy the licence, if I'm over the E160, then the PO clerk will tear off the appropriate number of pages and hand me back the book.

Today, I went to buy my licence. I handed over my book knowing there was E200 worth of stamps, and fully expected the book with the remaining page to be handed back to me.

The clerk (this wasn't my usual PO) insisted on taking the entire book and giving me back ******* E40 worth of stamps and a new book! :eek: WTF???

Has this happened to anyone else? And would this be normal for the PO to do this?

Does it actually matter? Your new book has your balance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I've read this three times and don't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You should organise a march on the Dail... that or cop the fcuk on ! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've read this three times and don't see the point.

The point being is that it's a waste of the stamps!! I already HAD E40. Why give me another ten?? What's the point of that? :confused:

Oh - and it's time wasted sticking back stamps I already had in the bloody book....

smcgiff wrote: »
    You should organise a march on the Dail... that or cop the fcuk on ! :pac:

Pardon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The point being is that it's a waste of the stamps!! I already HAD E40. Why give me another ten?? What's the point of that? :confused:

Oh - and it's time wasted sticking back stamps I already had in the bloody book....

It happened to me before, staff said they had to submit a full book rather than one with pages taken out. I can see the logic but you wonder then why they don't just provide a book that only takes exactly 160 euros to fill.

eviltwin wrote: »
    It happened to me before, staff said they had to submit a full book rather than one with pages taken out. I can see the logic but you wonder then why they don't just provide a book that only takes exactly 160 euros to fill.

Yes - I always thought that was a bit odd. Better still - why not have a payment card if you're like me and don't like DD's? That way An Post know that you're paying regularly, and should send you the licence automatically when you've paid up...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Broadcasting for merging into the TV License thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

But if he rips out one page of the old book, it then has to be stapled into the new book, eventually you end up with a Frankenstein of a thing, pages will fall out, go missing and then you'll be out of pocket. Surely it's a whole lot easier just to give you a new one?
    eviltwin wrote:
    I can see the logic but you wonder then why they don't just provide a book that only takes exactly 160 euros to fill.

Because if the licence fee increased, all the books with only room for 160 euro would instantly become obsolete, people would have to go down the post office, exchange them for new ones and we'd be back where we started with this thread...

But if he rips out one page of the old book, it then has to be stapled into the new book, eventually you end up with a Frankenstein of a thing, pages will fall out, go missing and then you'll be out of pocket. Surely it's a whole lot easier just to give you a new one?

It's not really a problem. More nuisance value, and the fact stamps are wasted. I dislike waste whether it be food, time, effort or stamps! The girls in my usual PO will usually just staple the spare page to the new book...

if the licence fee increased, all the books with only room for 160 euro would instantly become obsolete, people would have to go down the post office, exchange them for new ones and we'd be back where we started with this thread...

That's why I think payment cards would be a much better idea for those of us who don't like DD's. Stamps and books are obsolete IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged. Please note that the smart comments won't be tolerated in this forum, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Scenario:

Have had a tv and licence for a long time. used it with pc and not tv services (no aerial, dish, upc) for a while. this year i sold the tv therefore i have no aerial, sky, upc etc etc.

I have a computer monitor upstairs i use for work (24").

I have a computer downstairs where it used to be connected to the tv (no screen though), its a server.

do i need a tv licence?i am still getting a renewal notice, and i dont know if having the computer monitor on its own upstairs will appear like it has tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

thank you very much. that clears it up. i do watch something online sometimes, but nothing from rte, tv3 etc, not even english channels.

some movies sometimes.

but i have no aerial, dishes or upc. i have upc broadband, but no problem showing them there is no tv service with it.

ill send them the back of the form so. didnt know there was a way to tell them i dont have a tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skdakota

hi everyone new here and this is my first post
    my question is do i need a tv licence if i buy a pc monitor with no tuner all it will be used for is my PS4 console and my laptop as i do editing

help on this much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skdakota

thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Lillian123

Does anyone know whether you can buy a TV license for say 3 months, ours was due for renewal in August but just want to pay until end of November as leaving the country. Is that a possibility? We have received about 3 letters about renewal and we are on the final warning!

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Lillian123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether you can buy a TV license for say 3 months, ours was due for renewal in August but just want to pay until end of November as leaving the country. Is that a possibility? We have received about 3 letters about renewal and we are on the final warning!

Thanks in advance

No ........ had occasion to ask recently myself ...... only 12 month licence available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Also, there are no refunds available so you'll lose the full amount once you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Would you not just do the stamps for 3 months?

Elmo wrote: »
    Would you not just do the stamps for 3 months?

Doesn't make any difference. You still need a licence and it'll only be issued for 12 months. So three months worth of stamps is meaningless - unless you've saved E160. AFAIK you can transfer the licence to your new residence.

When you sign up for a monthly Direct Debit you are agreeing to pay the full amount on a deferred payment scheme. Ceasing to pay would quite rightly leave someone open to being pursued for non-payment.

They're very clear about it. They're leaving the country at the end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I know what my choice would be, considering the person will no longer be in residence.

If they do not provide a means for a person to be legitimate without being made to pay for something they do not want and cannot use, then I would leave them with no payment for the few months.

Of course I could not recommend that course of action to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Lillian123

Thanks for your replies everybody, very informative.

Advertisement