Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What does the licence look like?
    I think I got mine renewed but its mostly in Irish so not sure! I tried calling them but no answer!

The licence is in both Irish and English with the start and expiry dates printed on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anyinput

Hey guy's

Tv inspector knocked on my door and my mate ended up giving him my name and saying we had a tv.

Now the inspector never came into our home he said,just took my name and left,now I received a letter saying legal proceedings are being issued if I don't pay up.

Funny thing is my Tv is broke so I don't have one anymore but have to keep the upc for broadband.

1.can they obtain my details from pic

2.Do I still have to pay this or can I contest now I don't have a tv anymore?

Any help would be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

anyinput wrote: »
    Hey guy's

Tv inspector knocked on my door and my mate ended up giving him my name and saying we had a tv.

Now the inspector never came into our home he said,just took my name and left,now I received a letter saying legal proceedings are being issued if I don't pay up.

Funny thing is my Tv is broke so I don't have one anymore but have to keep the upc for broadband.

As far as I know and I'm not sure if the law is out yet or not but if you have a smart phone or laptop you would still have to pay as people watch programming on these devices. Like I said I'm not sure if that is law yet maybe someone here could clear that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Hey guy's

As far as I know and I'm not sure if the law is out yet or not but if you have a smart phone or laptop you would still have to pay as people watch programming on these devices. Like I said I'm not sure if that is law yet maybe someone here could clear that up!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Once you have both in your house you qualify, though by themselves they don't.

What if theyre in different rooms ?

If someone has admitted to having a television and they have a name they will prosecute.

Ok but now I do not have one anymore so I am not going to pay 160 Euro for a tv license up until the end of the year when I dont have it...plus thy have no proof I had one,they cant prosecute me when they can't prove previous ownership and when I don't have one now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Ok but now I do not have one anymore so I am not going to pay 160 Euro for a tv license up until the end of the year when I dont have it...plus thy have no proof I had one,they cant prosecute me when they can't prove previous ownership and when I don't have one now

If you don't have a TV, nor have any method by which to view standard broadcast TV (ie a satellite receiver for example that could be connected to a monitor) then you don't need a licence. You will have to sign a statement stating as such.

What I don't understand is, why did your mate say you had got a TV :confused:

radiowaves wrote: »
    If you don't have a TV, nor have any method by which to view standard broadcast TV (ie a satellite receiver for example that could be connected to a monitor) then you don't need a licence. You will have to sign a statement stating as such.

What I don't understand is, why did your mate say you had got a TV :confused:

Thanks for that,well I need to go into them or will the come out?

Ah we play pranks on each other all the time and he thought it would be funny

• Advertisement

Thanks for that,well I need to go into them or will the come out?

Ah we play pranks on each other all the time and he thought it would be funny

That is one warped sense of humour :eek:

I honestly don't know if it will go as far as court - maybe ring them up and explain the situation and ask them how you proceed from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    What if theyre in different rooms ?

Why would that matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I got a letter a few weeks ago from the An Post solicitor. I am in court in December so I rang them to see if I got a licence now would i still have to go to court, I was told if i paid for a licence and another €70 as a postal order, I wouldn't have to go to court.

Surely that's not legal is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2013111900067?opendocument#WRP02250
    410. Deputy Thomas P. Broughan asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Information when he will make an announcement on the details of the broadcasting levy consultation process. [49401/13]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): I assume the Deputy is referring to the public consultation on the introduction of a Public Service Broadcasting Charge which I launched on 26th August and which closed on 8th October. 385 submissions including 59 from stakeholders were received during this process and my Department is currently reviewing their contents. Once I have considered the outcome of the consultation process I will publish my response along with the key stakeholder submissions on the Department's website. I expect to be in a position to do this before year end.

End of year haha

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

hi all, was wondering, does the tv license law change recently? i do not own a tv set nor any of the capable devices to receive tv signals, but i do own a imac, which dont have any tv connections to it, would i still need a license?

lisij wrote: »
    hi all, was wondering, does the tv license law change recently? i do not own a tv set nor any of the capable devices to receive tv signals, but i do own a imac, which dont have any tv connections to it, would i still need a license?

Yes, when the new broadcasting charge is introduced every household will have to pay no matter what equipment you have.

You are exempt until then.

radiowaves wrote: »
    Yes, when the new broadcasting charge is introduced every household will have to pay no matter what equipment you have.

You are exempt until then.

when will that enroll?
    to be honest that is something not right, why would i pay for something i do not use, even further i think this is against our rights to choose, its like they force us to pay

when will that enroll?
    to be honest that is something not right, why would i pay for something i do not use, even further i think this is against our rights to choose, its like they force us to pay

The consultation phase is now over. Tax generally isn't right for the person paying it.

They suggest 2015 but given they way things work in this country expect it in 2020.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    The consultation phase is now over. Tax generally isn't right for the person paying it.

They suggest 2015 but given they way things work in this country expect it in 2020.

well thats a good news, come to think
    of it, it they decide so that each pc or smarthone needs to have a license, poor companies that have 20-100 pc laptops in their offices not counting how many smarthones are used there

well thats a good news, come to think
    of it, it they decide so that each pc or smarthone needs to have a license, poor companies that have 20-100 pc laptops in their offices not counting how many smarthones are used there

They will just base it on property and business. You might not have any equipment. Same as now households with one TV pay the same as households with several. I don't how much business licences or how they are charged.

come to think of it, it they decide so that each pc or smarthone needs to have a license, poor companies that have 20-100 pc laptops in their offices not counting how many smarthones are used there

Single licence per business but different levels of charges planned. This from the consultation
    3. The businesses sector generally should be liable to pay the public service broadcasting charge. However, businesses should be categorised into micro, small, medium-sized and above enterprises and charged different levels in order to avoid a disproportionate burden being placed on, for example, very small businesses and sole traders.

4. Businesses liable to pay the new charge should be identified in terms of those registered for tax with the Revenue Commissioners.

In terms of proportionality, it is considered that different levels of charge could be applied to businesses of different size, in order to avoid a disproportionate burden being placed on, for example, very small businesses and sole traders. This approach could also provide an opportunity to address a significant anomaly which exists under the current TV licence model, whereby some businesses, although meeting the legal requirement of buying a licence, are contributing pro rata much less to the funding of public service broadcasting than individuals or families, e.g. large multi-occupancy hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 _borntohula

I moved into rented accomadation for college in September.
    There is a TV here, but it's not hooked up to any aerial, etc. We have UPC broadband in the apartment but not the TV service.
    I have my Xbox connected to it, and I watch netflix from it on the television.

we have received letters from inspectors saying they don't have a licence for our apartment, I'm just wondering does that have to be paid? I don't want to and neither does my roommate want to fork out money for something we aren't sure is necessarily needed?
    any help would be souund, thanks!

If you have a TV you require a TV Licence, doesn't matter what you use the TV for.

From the Broadcasting Act
    142.— (1) Subject to the exceptions mentioned in subsection (3), a person shall not keep or have in his or her possession anywhere in the territory of the State a television set save in so far as such keeping or possession is authorised by a television licence for the time being in force.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged. Please use the sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I moved into rented accomadation for college in September.
    There is a TV here, but it's not hooked up to any aerial, etc. We have UPC broadband in the apartment but not the TV service.
    I have my Xbox connected to it, and I watch netflix from it on the television.

we have received letters from inspectors saying they don't have a licence for our apartment, I'm just wondering does that have to be paid? I don't want to and neither does my roommate want to fork out money for something we aren't sure is necessarily needed?
    any help would be souund, thanks!

You need a TV licence or you could get rid of the TV and buy a monitor with a HDMI input. You can use either speakers or just just a monitor with them built in. We use monitors in my house, one with built in speakers, the other uses 20 euro speakers and both work well. My monitor cost less than a TV licence and has built in speakers. Although you are limited to screen sizes of about 24"

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

If I already have a computer monitor and buy an AppleTV that runs off the internet connection do I need a TV Licence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I think all questions can now be answered with, yes, if you own anything & live indoors...you fall under the incoming laws & will need a license

Advertisement