Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    If I already have a computer monitor and buy an AppleTV that runs off the internet connection do I need a TV Licence?

Exempt at the moment but that will change with the introduction of Public Service Broadcasting Charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    If I already have a computer monitor and buy an AppleTV that runs off the internet connection do I need a TV Licence?

Yes it will be called Public Service Broadcasting Charge instead of tv license so regardless of how u watch movies, music, films, tv shows etc they intend for us asll to pay,.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

steveon wrote: »
    Yes it will be called Public Service Broadcasting Charge instead of tv license so regardless of how u watch movies, music, films, tv shows etc they intend for us asll to pay,.

Thats not in, he doesnt need one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Do you need a tv license if you just use your tv with a streaming box?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

hahaha

your joking ..right:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If you have a TV it requires a TV Licence. A monitor without an internal or external tuner wouldn't require a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

If you have a tv, you need a tv licence, regardless of whether you have RTE, BBC etc. or not, you still need a licence.

It's a horrible system, but it is what the law is.

If you have a tv, you need a tv licence, regardless of whether you have RTE, BBC etc. or not, you still need a licence.

It's a horrible system, but it is what the law is.

Ridic. So I won't be watching RTE etc and I'm still paying for it :(:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It'll get worse when it becomes the public service broadcasting charge and you'll be obliged to pay it whether or not you own a TV. That said I remain convinced that there are very few who never watch any RTÉ service, listen to RTÉ radio, or view any RTÉ website. Usually they'll at least admit to having watched an Ireland game or checked the news on RTÉ.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

icdg wrote: »
    It'll get worse when it becomes the public service broadcasting charge and you'll be obliged to pay it whether or not you own a TV. That said I remain convinced that there are very few who never watch any RTÉ service, listen to RTÉ radio, or view any RTÉ website. Usually they'll at least admit to having watched an Ireland game or checked the news on RTÉ.ie.

I would think you're right, but paying €165 for the trash RTE produce is highway robbery.
    Don't watch much of it myself, watch the news from time to time and tbh I'm gutted having to give them money.
    It's like going to a restaraunt, eating a bit of bread and getting a bill for €50...

• Advertisement

I would think you're right, but paying €165 for the trash RTE produce is highway robbery.
    Don't watch much of it myself, watch the news from time to time and tbh I'm gutted having to give them money.
    It's like going to a restaraunt, eating a bit of bread and getting a bill for €50...

Let's multiply 160 x 4 million and wonder who else gets wages like tubridy? Cos the money ain't going on love hate, fair city or the voice. Rte - typical wealthy organization pretending to be peasants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Let's multiply 160 x 4 million and wonder who else gets wages like tubridy? Cos the money ain't going on love hate, fair city or the voice. Rte - typical wealthy organization pretending to be peasants

There aren't 4 million licences sold - it's 1.4 million approximately and it would seem that the money is being spent on the shows that you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

If you have a receiver for TV, you need a licence. The receiver in a computer, like a USB stick, needs a licence. In other words, if you can receive TV on any equipment, you need a licence. The licence is required for the bit that receives the radio frequencies used by any TV signal.

If you have a screen less than 7" it is exempted like a smart phone
    This changes with the new broadcasting licence fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

FYI.................
    Video watcher wins TV licence case

Saturday, 08 February 2014
    A man who told a TV licence inspector that he only used his television to watch movies, had a summons struck out against him at Galway District Court on Tuesday.

When asked how he finds out the news, Charles Brady, of Riverdale, Oranmore, told Judge Mary Fahy that he reads newspapers.
    He had been summoned for having no TV licence on February 12 last year.
    State Solicitor, William Kennedy, told the court that when the inspector visited Mr Brady’s home he was told that the television set was only used to watch videos.

“I offered to allow them to come in and check,” Mr Brady told the court under oath.
    “There are no channels on it for three years; I’m keeping it for when I’m back on my feet again,”

Mr Kennedy said that he accepted the evidence, and asked that the summons be struck out. Judge Fahy acceded to the request.

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/2240-video-watcher-wins-tv-licence-case

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

I had a TV until the switch to Saorview, and after that I recycled the TV. Now I am getting repeated visits from the TV inspector to see if I have a TV.

I wrote to the TV licence section in An Post and the reply I got was:

"If a TV Inspector is on inspection in your area at any time in the future he may call to verify these details."
    The inspector had my name on a list. Can I ask them to remove it as they have no reason to keep a record of my name?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

I'm sorry, but its time this network was held accountable for the pretentious crap it's trying to pass off as entertainment.

Linda Martin's carry-on, on the RTE late late show last Friday night was an absolute disgrace - it's just lucky for RTE that we live so close to the UK and get their overspill that we can switch over to something that has a little more intelligent thought behind it.

How many people would own a television if we could only receive RTE - numbers would dramatically decline!

The licence fee isn't actually 165 euros, its 231 euros, as one would have had to have earned 231 euros (including PAYE TAX) to pay that 165 euro - start thinking in terms of what will I have to earn to pay for these items - Those bargins start to loose their sheen!

For many people on slave-bridge 231 euros is a weeks wages, I hardly believe that bickering old hacks and state censorship / crap journalism is worth 231 euros.

We live in a democratic society, its time things were treated this way.

If we really must have state sponsored media, the organisation should be cut back to the bare essentials, no American imports, no movies, just news, Irish sport, weather and locally produced entertainment - cut the licence fee back to the bare minimum and reduce down to one channel - 50euro a year.

People can then decide themselves what they want to add via premium services i.e. pay tv (cable / satellite), online streaming, video rental etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The fee is €160. You would have to earn €3.06 per week. You would only include tax if you pay tax, and then you would have to count your PAYE on everything you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ph5.5

cool abulla

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ph5.5

do u ave to pay if ur 66?

ph5.5 wrote: »
    do u ave to pay if ur 66?

In some cases you don't. You need to apply to see if your eligible. You need to claim if your over 70.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Curiosity: is there any way to render a TV unable to receive any TV broadcast, as to become exempt from the licence?

I'll explain: I have considered selling / giving out the 32" I have and replace it with a monitor, as I literally don't even have the antenna attached - it's hooked to the Xbox for games and an old laptop for Netflix; I would not mind shelling out some money for a good screen, as a matter of fact I would prefer paying 500€ for a new device than 160€/year for something I have no use for, it's a matter of principle.

Problem is, screens above the 27" mark are extremely rare to come by; So I was thinking if it would be possible to use the screen from a TV with the tuner electronics removed/blanked out, or maybe just with the antenna connector snapped out. I have a feeling they'd still consider it a "TV Set" because it says on the box...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

That's what I was thinking (if the TV I have can have the tuner removed, of course). However, is there any direct experience of this being an acceptable solution? Legally and technically, the apparatus would indeed be unable to receive any TV signal, but would an hypothetical inspector be convinced about it?

Never dealt with one honestly, but I kind of imagine them going "It's a TV because it looks like one!" :D

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Curiosity: is there any way to render a TV unable to receive any TV broadcast, as to become exempt from the licence?

I'll explain: I have considered selling / giving out the 32" I have and replace it with a monitor, as I literally don't even have the antenna attached - it's hooked to the Xbox for games and an old laptop for Netflix; I would not mind shelling out some money for a good screen, as a matter of fact I would prefer paying 500€ for a new device than 160€/year for something I have no use for, it's a matter of principle.

Problem is, screens above the 27" mark are extremely rare to come by; So I was thinking if it would be possible to use the screen from a TV with the tuner electronics removed/blanked out, or maybe just with the antenna connector snapped out. I have a feeling they'd still consider it a "TV Set" because it says on the box...

There is no point in rendering a tuner in a tv useless as Regardless of how you watch tv-shows ie either broadcasted or on netflix you will now need the new broadcast license or whatever its been called, this has been done on purpose so that nobody will get away with watching any form of tv show either by streaming it on a computer, laptop, tablet watch etc....they are so clever on this regard....the people should do as our cousins do in the states and pay no tv license.....if a channel cannot survive on its own merit and from advertisments is should be left die especially in the case of with RTe with the exception of the news and primetime the rest is rubbish or is already free on bbc and itv and ch4.....

And even with the old license system even a broken tv in your premises meant you needed a license...

steveon wrote: »
    There is no point in rendering a tuner in a tv useless as Regardless of how you watch tv-shows ie either broadcasted or on netflix you will now need the new broadcast license or whatever its been called, this has been done on purpose so that nobody will get away with watching any form of tv show either by streaming it on a computer, laptop, tablet watch etc....they are so clever on this regard....the people should do as our cousins do in the states and pay no tv license.....if a channel cannot survive on its own merit and from advertisments is should be left die especially in the case of with RTe with the exception of the news and primetime the rest is rubbish or is already free on bbc and itv and ch4.....

And even with the old license system even a broken tv in your premises meant you needed a license...

As far as I know, the "broadcast licence" hasn't been passed yet, and the system is still the old one.

As for the "broken TV pays license" thing, it has probably happened but I can't see how it holds up to the definition of a TV set as something that can display a television broadcast. If that was the case, anything with a screen or image displaying capabilities, e.g. even a projector, should always pay TV licence because it can potentially be fitted with an aftermarket tuner.

As a matter of fact, if "broken TV pays licence too" is true, an old CRT hollowed out and transformed into an acquarium should pay the licence.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    As far as I know, the "broadcast licence" hasn't been passed yet, and the system is still the old one.

As for the "broken TV pays license" thing, it has probably happened but I can't see how it holds up to the definition of a TV set as something that can display a television broadcast. If that was the case, anything with a screen or image displaying capabilities, e.g. even a projector, should always pay TV licence because it can potentially be fitted with an aftermarket tuner.

As a matter of fact, if "broken TV pays licence too" is true, an old CRT hollowed out and transformed into an acquarium should pay the licence.

As the law stands right now anything that is capable of receiving a signal weather its broken or not i.e a television that has a tuner and in your premises you will need a license....a friend of mine was convicted of not having a license and having a broken set in the corner...fact.. I kid you not

I would imagine then at the moment anyone watching tv on a monitor i.e streaming, rte player etc is exempt but that is exactly why they plan to introduce the new act...and even talking to your neighbor about the news will mean every1 in the country will have to pay which is why I reiterate what I said earlier its about time the irish people told the government we aint paying and let any channel that cannot stand on their own too feet to fall to the ground which is exactly what happened in the states over 30yrs ago and still they dont pay one and there are thousands of channels in existance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

A broken TV is seen as being "repairable" so you are expected to pay. I'd say some inspectors wouldnt both chasing after you. I would enjoy a TV licence inspector explain to an engineer how it can be repaired. These days its not much more to buy a new TV instead of repairing it.

• Advertisement

smash the screen in!

Advertisement