Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Will the warrant permit 'the TV inspector' to enter the house, or will it be only for members of the force?

Just wondering what the situation would be if you refused him entry should he accompany the guards. :D

I honestly don't know but I will be asking questions when they arrive. I'll try invite the gaurd in, ask a few questions in private such as who can actually carry out the search, who gave the warrant, explain myself a little bit and apologise for him having to be there but i'm just standing up for my rights etc etc, and if possible leave the postman outside, even if it's only for a little bit. By the way I did ask for the statutory declaration form but he refused and said the sats were enough for a warrant.

That might seem contradictory, apologising to a gaurd serving a warrant after I refused the postman entry, but imo too many people are intimidated by these revenue collectors through fear and full on lies, you hear of people buying licenses out of fear even though they don't need to. Well i'm not allowing anybody into my house unless they have a warrant thats correct and proper.

I have lots of audio equipment and other electronics so it should be fun if he really wants to do me. I have section 9 of the 2009 act printed out and ready for action. Must be something wrong with me, getting a kick out of this type of stuff.

This post has been deleted.

Thanks, I wouldn't try keep the postman out and risk being arrested, just enough questioning to let him know I still don't want to let him in. I'm off on holidays on the 9th so hopefully they don't call while i'm gone, I wonder would they force entry? The neighbours will reckon i'm a coke peddler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Thats good to know, do you have experience of this or are you involved somehow? You seem to have the answers. If you don't want to say, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks, I wouldn't try keep the postman out and risk being arrested, just enough questioning to let him know I still don't want to let him in. I'm off on holidays on the 9th so hopefully they don't call while i'm gone, I wonder would they force entry? The neighbours will reckon i'm a coke peddler!

I had best get my order in quickly!

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"licence inspectors are calling on 30,000 licence evaders a month" proclaims the current radio advert.

They cannot be doing much of a job if that is the non-compliance rate for "persistent" offenders (bearing in mind they give you a renewal and then a reminder before there is any chance of being called upon)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Emshee

On principle, I do not want to pay the TV licence so have not had a TV set in my home for many years. However, I do stream and watch programmes through my computer.

Given that the citizen's advice bureau state: "You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial."

Does wifi access on a computer count as "able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial"? I have a mac.

Thanks in advance!

Emshee

Emshee wrote: »
    On principle, I do not want to pay the TV licence so have not had a TV set in my home for many years. However, I do stream and watch programmes through my computer.

Given that the citizen's advice bureau state: "You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial."

Does wifi access on a computer count as "able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial"? I have a mac.

Thanks in advance!

Emshee

No.

But if you used a USB DVB-T dongle to receive broadcast TV on your PC then that would require a licence.

No.

But if you used a USB DVB-T dongle to receive broadcast TV on your PC then that would require a licence.

Thanks Johnboy! Sorry if I am asking the same question here: if I watch programmes on horizon.tv (upc's page) or RTE/TV3 etc via wifi am I still safe? No dongle, just wifi and streaming either live or on-demand?

• Advertisement

Thanks Johnboy! Sorry if I am asking the same question here: if I watch programmes on horizon.tv (upc's page) or RTE/TV3 etc via wifi am I still safe? No dongle, just wifi and streaming either live or on-demand?

Streaming does not requires a licence.

The licence is for having equipment capable of receiving BROADCAST signals ..... whether you use that equipment or not.

=> Broadcast over the air, from transmitters through aerials and received by aerials/dishes etc.

The licence is for having equipment capable of receiving BROADCAST signals ..... whether you use that equipment or not.

=> Broadcast over the air, from transmitters through aerials and received by aerials/dishes etc.

Thank you!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To access Horizon TV you must have a UPC television (not necessarily Horizon) account. Use of that requires you to have installed on your premises equipment that will require the purchase of a television licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mysicko

Help needed please. I have no physical television in my house and I subscribe to broadband with UPC only. I do however watch TV on my laptop from time to time.

Do I need to pay the TV licence?

Cheers in advance.

Mysicko wrote: »
    Help needed please. I have no physical television in my house and I subscribe to broadband with UPC only. I do however watch TV on my laptop from time to time.

Do I need to pay the TV licence?

Cheers in advance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96058609&postcount=942

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

My partner and I are moving out of our apartment at the end of the month - he's moving to England and I'm moving to shared accommodation (where I presume a TV licence will be bought already).

Our licence is due for renewal, can we just close the account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Duddy wrote: »
    My partner and I are moving out of our apartment at the end of the month - he's moving to England and I'm moving to shared accommodation (where I presume a TV licence will be bought already).

Our licence is due for renewal, can we just close the account?

What account?
    You can never really presume anything, just ask them what the situation is and dont get your name on it :)
    Maybe they dont have a tv so dont drop them in it by transferring yours to the new address

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pootzko

Would simply the fact of owning a smart TV imply that you have to pay for a TV licence? For example having only UPC internet but not UPC TV or Sky either, no STB devices, nothing. Just a smart TV connected to youtube and my network hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

pootzko wrote: »
    Would simply the fact of owning a smart TV imply that you have to pay for a TV licence? For example having only UPC internet but not UPC TV or Sky either, no STB devices, nothing. Just a smart TV connected to youtube and my network hard drive.

If you have a tv in your house and even if its broken in the corner you need a license. It doesnt matter if u have a tv service or not, presence of a tv means license required.

In the uk you only need a license if you are watching live tv, use with a dvd player gaming system or steaming on bbc iplayer does not require a license however thwy are trying to.emulate rip off Ireland and make it the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

steveon wrote: »
    In the uk you only need a license if you are watching live tv, use with a dvd player gaming system or steaming on bbc iplayer does not require a license however thwy are trying to.emulate rip off Ireland and make it the same.

Are you sure? We copy licence from the Brits, I'd be surprised if the British didn't need a licence just because they are not watch live TV but have the equipment to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Elmo wrote: »
    Are you sure? We copy licence from the Brits, I'd be surprised if the British didn't need a licence just because they are not watch live TV but have the equipment to do so

Yes im sure.google it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

pootzko wrote: »

If you have a TV, you need a license.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When domestic rates were in force (in UK and Ireland), the requirement in Britain was that you had furniture in the house. In Ireland, it was if the building had a roof. Presumably not everyone had furniture - grim times.

The licence was introduced in Ireland before we had a TV service - grim times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I believe we were at least early to Radio.
    When domestic rates were in force (in UK and Ireland), the requirement in Britain was that you had furniture in the house. In Ireland, it was if the building had a roof. Presumably not everyone had furniture - grim times.

And not everyone had a roof! But then we did get rid of rates and property taxes.

How do the TV inspectors know if you watching TV or not if you have the equipment to view?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I believe we were at least early to Radio.

1927 broadcasts started with call sign 2rn - 'to Erin'

And not everyone had a roof! But then we did get rid of rates and property taxes.

Domestic rates were abolished in 1977 following the FF 'give away' election win.
    How do the TV inspectors know if you watching TV or not if you have the equipment to view?

Ask the neighbours.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What happens to freedom when the State has absolute control over the TV broadcaster, as in France:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel-ryan/french-censorship-and-charlie-hebdo_b_6438450.html
    In 2009, for instance, Sarkozy pushed through Parliament new laws that made France Télévisions exclusively dependent on the government. These laws (1) eliminated commercial advertising, resulting in exclusive reliance on state funding, and (2) granted the government (read: the President) the right to name the CEO of France Télévisions, rather than leaving the public stations under the purview of an independent body. Later on, in 2012, Sarko also tightened his grip on the Internet, criminalizing citizens "who habitually consult websites that advocate terrorism or that call for hatred and violence."

What happens to freedom when the State has absolute control over the TV broadcaster, as in France:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel-ryan/french-censorship-and-charlie-hebdo_b_6438450.html

They eventually have another revolution ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When domestic rates were in force (in UK and Ireland), the requirement in Britain was that you had furniture in the house. In Ireland, it was if the building had a roof.

Lead to plenty of buildings with "no roof" and a felted top floor instead in Dublin the 60s/70s. Frank McDonald wrote extensively on that (before he became an insufferable bore) and the damage it caused to georgian buildings. There were plenty of actively rented apartments, shops, offices, etc in these unrateable "uninhabitable" buildings.

Advertisement