Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭steescribbles

I currently live in rented accommodation, and I just received a "Legal Notice" in the previous tenant's name. At the moment, I am unable to pay the whole shi-bang, i.e. €160 being a broke student and all, so direct debit is my only option.

How would I go about sorting this out at the post office? I know the "direct debit" service is not available online, and a bank statement is required and all that, but the problem at hand is the existing TV license for the current address. Do I bring the "legal notice" letter and say there is an existing TV license but it's expired, or apply for a new one in my own name? Either way, I need to get this sorted before the s**t hits the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Apply for a licence in your own name. The notice is for the old tenant, and therefore nothing to do with you. Can you buy the savings stamps and pay for it that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I'll try filling in the "direct debit" form with my own details and take it to the post office tomorrow and see what happens. I'm just uncertain if this service facilitates new licenses, and not just existing renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'll try filling in the "direct debit" form with my own details and take it to the post office tomorrow and see what happens. I'm just uncertain if this service facilitates new licenses, and not just existing renewals.

Bin the notice you received in the post, nothing to do with you.

TV Licence Direct Debit details and application form here - http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/More+from+An+Post/TV+Licence/TV+Licence+Direct+Debit.htm

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Bin the notice you received in the post, nothing to do with you.

TV Licence Direct Debit details and application form here -

Cheers man, all printed and filled out ready for tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I opened my mail box for the first time in about two weeks, as all my bills are electronic and I very rarely receive letters.

I found a postcard from the TV licence inspector which states that I have to ensure that a licence is taken out within 5 days to avoid further action being taken. The standard procedure, no doubt.

The postcard, however, has no address written on it, nor does it have a date of delivery or an expiry date.

How should I treat this? It's a recently rented property and I'm prepared to renew the licence.

I just don't want to find that I get a summons or something like that.

Surely a postcard without the required information is insufficient notice. I have no idea if the five days have elapsed already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

That's a good point. I just paid and sent away the postcard anyway, so hopefully it will all be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wow they do work late. Just had him at the door there 2 mins ago. Very friendly...can I sort it out in the next 4 weeks...was aware we'd only moved in and hadn't got round to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I use the Direct Debit method myself, seems less a burden that way. Still get the reminder letter some weeks before the expiry. Got my new licence in the post today though for the forthcoming year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

byte wrote: »
    I use the Direct Debit method myself, seems less a burden that way. Still get the reminder letter some weeks before the expiry. Got my new licence in the post today though for the forthcoming year.

Sounds like a way to get nabbed for paying even after you no longer have a TV or are at the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jimb433

i need some clarification please

i have broadband in my home and i live on my computer , internet 24/7 I DO NOT WATCH Tv ( pile of sh@@e anyway ) i watch all i do on my 42 inch plasma which is wired to my computer.

i am being told by TV LICENSING en post THAT I HAVE TO PAY 160 EURO for licence, i have no skybox, no free view box, and i watch programmes on my computer witch is recoded before, so i do not watch "live broadcast tv " why do i have to pay for something i do not use or watch > seems to me like extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jimb433 wrote: »
    i need some clarification please

i have broadband in my home and i live on my computer , internet 24/7 I DO NOT WATCH Tv ( pile of sh@@e anyway ) i watch all i do on my 42 inch plasma which is wired to my computer.

i am being told by TV LICENSING en post THAT I HAVE TO PAY 160 EURO for licence, i have no skybox, no free view box, and i watch programmes on my computer witch is recoded before, so i do not watch "live broadcast tv " why do i have to pay for something i do not use or watch > seems to me like extortion.

If your " 42 inch plasma" has a tuner built in, then the licence is to cover possession of such a device.
    Whether you use it or not for that purpose is irrelevant.
    You require a licence for possession of the device.

If your "42 inch plasma" has no tuner and you have no other means of receiving broadcast TV then you do not require a licence.

THANKS JONBOY but just one last question

if you have a tuner in your tv and you have no aerial , or dish you tuner is incapable of receiving a signal, so itv therefore means your not able to receive live broadcast tv this is still a grey area to me. and I'm still not convinced about the legality of it all

i thought you don't have to have a licence if you DO NOT watch live broadcast tv, FULLSTOP.
    \

jimb433 wrote: »
    THANKS JONBOY but just one last question

if you have a tuner in your tv and you have no aerial , or dish you tuner is incapable of receiving a signal, so itv therefore means your not able to receive live broadcast tv this is still a grey area to me. and I'm still not convinced about the legality of it all
    “ television set ” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;
    (my highlighting)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/sec0140.html

So in conjunction with an aerial it is capable and thus needs a licence.

Personally I believe that a TV with a broken tuner would not require a licence ..... but that is purely a personal viewpoint ...... as it would not then be capable of receiving and displaying the broadcast signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

cerastes wrote: »
    Sounds like a way to get nabbed for paying even after you no longer have a TV or are at the address.

Can you not switch the licence to a new address if you pay by direct debit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Can you not switch the licence to a new address if you pay by direct debit?

Im sure you can, but the statement you replied to by me does not suggest you cant?
    Im suggesting why tell them, thats what they want you to do, self report, you're getting charged for enforcement, at least let them do their job. I would dispose of my tv happily myself, but others are more reluctant. If I was moving Id certainly prefer to not leave myself in a situation where I would have a new licence and be moving soon, or Id recover the cost of it and leave it at the address or write it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've been paying for a t.v. license for the last place I lived in, once first payment was taken I was told I would have to pay all 4 quarterly payments). Anyway, that blasted year is up.

Anyone know what I do next to cancel it? Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Mind the language please. I'm pretty sure you weren't referring to French Connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

icdg wrote: »
    Mind the language please. I'm pretty sure you weren't referring to French Connection.

Apologies.

has there been a change in the tv licence bill? i.e. have they introduced a part that covers internet ( broadcasting licence ) i hear something about a change from jan 1st 2015 ? ? ? any help out there

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tartlet

My existing license expires in April.

I have a TV but it does not receive signal without a saorview box. I did have a the box but gave it to someone as I never really used it. The TV is just used for dvds now as I normally watch online (broadband).

I presume I wouldn't have to renew the license this time due to the above?

tartlet wrote: »
    My existing license expires in April.

I have a TV but it does not receive signal without a saorview box. I did have a the box but gave it to someone as I never really used it. The TV is just used for dvds now as I normally watch online (broadband).

I presume I wouldn't have to renew the license this time due to the above?

You would presume incorrectly ....... as you have a device or a combination of devices capable of receiving broadcast signals you need a licence.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The proposed public service broadcasting charge has now officially been abandoned until after the election, and in reality will probably not happen for the foreseeable future.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/licence-fee-evasion-crackdown-but-no-broadcasting-charge-1.2183952

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    The proposed public service broadcasting charge has now officially been abandoned until after the election, and in reality will probably not happen for the foreseeable future.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/licence-fee-evasion-crackdown-but-no-broadcasting-charge-1.2183952

Really when they can't make decisions about RTÉjr did you think they could come up with a plan for the Licence Fee.

Advertisement