Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

It's starting slowly but surely here in Knocklyon...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

hows dublin airport fairing during this snow? I cant find a webcam of dublin airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

snaps wrote: »
    temps that low you wont get any heavy snow, it will be just the light powder. For the best snow you need a temp of around 0
    As you mentioned earlier Knock is much higher temp than low areas. This -10C is a low area and the temp is higher higher up and the precipitation higher up may be heavy and it'll still be heavy in the low areas a little lower down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

temps that low you wont get any heavy snow, it will be just the light powder. For the best snow you need a temp of around 0

yes snow is rather skittery temp is rising though to around -7c probably by 10am....... what do people in canada do then how do they get so deep snow if its colder than i am?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Whats yout temp reading, Im not far off double minus figures. -9.3c, im hoping for a drop around 9am!

Haven't a clue as I am not at home at the moment. NRA says around -9c Claremorris is on -10c so roughly something similar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Fairly heavy snow for the past 15 mins or so here in Nutgrove/Rathfarnham. All sticking and leading to yet more accumulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Medium falls in D12 now.

Time to go long on bread & milk :D

Haven't a clue as I am not at home at the moment. NRA says around -9c Claremorris is on -10c so roughly something similar here.

I was suppossed to fly from knock to london today, cancelled my flight, leaving it till thursday and cut my holiday short. Its lethal out there, wouldnt want anyone driving me to the airport at 7am this morning. Ive heard as well, my local council depot have no grit left and are just using a small stone like grit, just for traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Just out of bed, and looked out the window, and it's lightly snowing in Celbridge :D Lovely to wake up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

hows dublin airport fairing during this snow? I cant find a webcam of dublin airport.

The airport is open just with a few flight cancelled

Moderate snow.
    Close to an extra inch already.
    0.1/-0.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I was suppossed to fly from knock to london today, cancelled my flight, leaving it till thursday and cut my holiday short. Its lethal out there, wouldnt want anyone driving me to the airport at 7am this morning. Ive heard as well, my local council depot have no grit left and are just using a small stone like grit, just for traction.

I agree, the roads were absolutely lethal when I drove up from Galway last night away from main routes. On Galway Bay FM yesterday, it was revealed that grit allocated for Galway roads was sent to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Constant light snow with ocassional heavier bursts. I wonder if its going to stay like this until Tuesday.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Light Snow here!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

MollyZ wrote: »
    Just out of bed, and looked out the window, and it's lightly snowing in Celbridge :D Lovely to wake up to.

That lasted all of about five minutes :(
    Hoping it'll return later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

IMG_0172.JPG
    this is the malahide road

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

lovely blanket in dun laoghaire,fog horn been going the last hour

I agree, the roads were absolutely lethal when I drove up from Galway last night away from main routes. On Galway Bay FM yesterday, it was revealed that grit allocated for Galway roads was sent to Dublin.

Sounds about right!

IMG_0172.JPG

Where???????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

heavy snow here in east meath, think i'll take a snow day. anyone tell me if the met sat is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

heavy snow here in east meath, think i'll take a snow day. anyone tell me if the met sat is correct?

Where abouts are you? Im just past navan and nothing yet!!! God it better snow!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Starting here in Maynooth.Not that heavy yet but its sticking.

/edit/

Getting heavier now!!!!

Where???????

eh The malahide Road! do you live in a bubble:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

More than 1cm down this morning already in Dublin 4 and more coming.:):):)
    Light snow at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

look at temp distance between ballkelly and ballypatrick both on the north coast -7.5c in ballykelly and 1c in ballkypatrick! -9c or something here and the snow only lasted for five minutes have seen any for ages seems to be by passing here.....

Getting heavier here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Where???????

Tried putting a picture from the iPhone on didn't work obviously

IMG_0172.JPG
    lol-you need to host that on an external site like photobucket before we can see it.
    Thats an internal link on your pc's hard drive :)

still snowing moderately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Where abouts are you? Im just past navan and nothing yet!!! God it better snow!

i'm in ardcath, about 11miles from navan. looking at the met radar we're all going to get some snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement