Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Lookin juicy..

WEB_radar_201001090700.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

-11 in Galway now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mothman wrote: »
    Now starting to settle on above ground surfaces
    This has now thawed
    1.7C/-0.4c
    Dp trend firmly upwards

pjmn wrote: »
    -11 in Galway now...
    Very cold across most of the Island with -9 to -12s widespread

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Look at Shannon, -11c at 0700. Record min there is -11.2c (1961 to 1990). Could very easily be/have been broken.

-2.0c here with DP -2.9c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Looking at the direction that action in the Irish sea is coming from I think we have a good chance of getting some snow later. Hopefully it will be the start of a great snowy weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Utterly belting down snow right now. Probably already have another cm of fresh snow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Proper heavy snow here now.
    Temp up to 0.3°c
    I think you're fairly safe with regard your temperature today SC. The ground wind is still direct north here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light snow just started here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Supercell wrote: »
    Proper heavy snow here now.
    Temp up to 0.3°c

Starting in Newtownmountkennedy.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Look at Shannon, -11c at 0700. Record min there is -11.2c (1961 to 1990). Could very easily be/have been broken.

-2.0c here with DP -2.9c
    Was looking at the Shannon temp myself. I'll look into it and see how near it is to records etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Mothman wrote: »
    Its moved through and left no more than a sugar sprinkle on the stones. I think I only caught the southern flank.
    Still the odd flake floating about, but that wouldn't amount to a mm in a day.

Grand. Was just curious how heavier precip would fair out with your temps.

Irish Sea really pepped up in the last 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I think knock airport weather station has gone up the swany. All the stations around here including my back garden are lower than -9c but knock showing -2. Even Swinford is at -12c so they just said on mid west.

DOCARCH wrote: »

-2.0c here with DP -2.9c
    Nothing lower since 1990 and at moment I'd be inclined to think the the -11c at 7am would be something like -10.6C

Temp back down to 0.2°C, surprised it didnt fall earlier, is proper +sn right now

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Duiske wrote: »

Irish Sea really pepped up in the last 30 mins.

Ahh.. 6.45 map is missing from the met.ie radar loop. Thought that jump in activity looked a bit strange :p

snaps wrote: »
    I think knock airport weather station has gone up the swany. All the stations around here including my back garden are lower than -9c but knock showing -2. Even Swinford is at -12c so they just said on mid west.
    Inversion, Knock is quite how up and the heavy cold air is sitting in lowlands. It s an indication of how shallow the really cold air at the surface is

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

-11.0C in Mallow Co.Cork at 06.30,lowest i've ever seen it

My nerdy 900 lumen SSC P7-C torch does a great job lighting up the sneacta though the window! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dubrub

Heavy Snow now Balrothery Nrt Co Dublin :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Light snow in gormanston

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

annieee wrote: »
    Starting in Newtownmountkennedy.

Scratch that. A few flakes, nothing since then.

Snow starting to get a little heavier.

Looking at NRA, every station is sub-zero except Bray. :pac:

Temp down to 0.1°C..liking this trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Bray is sweltering this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

looks like owenc is getting a pasting!

Still -8 here, freezing fog and a very light N breeze.

Can't wait to go out today - have to do shopping for my mother and bring it to her. As far as I know, there will be no gritting around Dublin today (to conserve supplies). :o

Snowing, light, small flakes as opposed to snizzle
    1.3/-0.2C
    Wind veering, now east of north

• Advertisement

Temp back down to 0.0°C, grand job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement