Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    i have to say this doesnt bode well for Sunday. Yes the temps in Dublin are low now but its shallow cold, when the wind turns east proper its going to rise temps in the city at a massive rate . The subsequent thaw is going to make for some messy road conditions.
    The roads are going to get a lot worse before thay improve and it may be days before black ice becomes less widespread.
    From an imby point of view I've had no expectation of getting accumulation this week end into Monday. I'm clued into my location, but not clued in to call it for you

1.9/-1.7C
    At least the rate of rise is slowing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

-0.2°C ..rate not really slowing here, will be positive by 07:00 probably.
    Tbh a slight feeling of cabin fever here..it wouldnt be the worst thing if..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Despite the Met E radar indication precipitation moving onshore south of me, it is partly cloudy here and in that direction with the moon in view

1.9/-1.5C

Temps into positive figures and a bit of drizzle if it occured will doing nothing but melt any frost/snow on trees. It'll do nothing to help toy get out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Irish sea seems to be picking up somewhat now showers coming closer to the coastline. Hopefully we'll get a few centimetres outta this because TBH all i see sunday and monday being is a big rainy mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

baraca wrote: »
    Irish sea seems to be picking up somewhat now showers coming closer to the coastline. Hopefully we'll get a few centimetres outta this because TBH all i see sunday and monday being is a big rainy mess.

Brilliant news tbh. I can hopefully get home from the airport without any drama.
    Met Eireann Update:

There will be precipitation at times over most parts of the country during SUNDAY NIGHT and MONDAY, and much or all of it will be sleet or snow - only along some southern coasts, if anywhere, might it turn to rain at times. The snow will be heavy enough in places to give 5 to 10 cm or so of further snowfall in some areas, with the southern half of the country most at risk. The north and northwest should stay dry for a while at least, but here too there probably will be some sleet or snow eventually during Monday or Monday night. LATER MONDAY or MONDAY NIGHT, however, the wintry precipitation will tend to die out and move away northwards, leaving most places dry. Although temperatures on both Sunday night and Monday night won't reach the exceptional levels of the last few nights, frosty icy conditions will continue on a widespread scale. There will be a biting wind much of the time as well, east to northeast initially, veering east to southeast Monday or Monday night. TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY will see some slight improvement in temperatures at times, with occasional daytime thawing possible (especially in the south). However it won't be enough to prevent ongoing problems with frost, ice and lying snow - these will persist in many areas, and even where some thawing does occur at times the icy conditions could return on any night. It will also remain cold enough for precipitation to still fall as sleet or snow in places and cause further disruption, or to increase the ice risk even where it falls as rain. (Current indications as regards precipitation are that, although some areas will be dry throughout, there is a continuing risk of wintry showers, especially near Irish Sea coasts - and over the southern half of the country more general rain, sleet or snow is possible at times, especially on Tuesday). A chilly east to southeast wind on Tuesday will die down Tuesday night or Wednesday.

+0.1°C ..hmm

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Some big showers developing now.

Confab wrote: »
    Brilliant news tbh. I can hopefully get home from the airport without any drama.
    I don't know when you are travelling but roads are going to be dire with widespread black ice for days. Ground temperatures are well below freezing. Whatever falls from the sky even if air temp is 5C will freeze on the ground creating sheets of black ice.
    Positive air temps will not warm the ground, only rain will do that, but it'll still take time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Showing -4.2 here now. It's another snow watch day here. Radar at the ready. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Are we in North Kildare now not going to get our snow on Sun/Mon,has everything changed again!!!:rolleyes::(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-2.3 DP -3.0c. Min overnight was -6.3c as recorded yesterday evening. Cloudy here with a light Nw (?) breeze.

Looking at radar: there's the trough, just as forecast. I eagerly await its arrival. :D

Temps and DPs not fantastic around (M2 bouy) - just hope that is not an indicator for the main 'event' tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That will get worse, then steady out after three weeks..

The cabin fever I mean!!

2.2/-0.9 and snizzle

On surfaces above ground it is thawing, and on the sub zero ground it is sticking

holly1 wrote: »
    Are we in North Kildare now not going to get our snow on Sun/Mon,has everything changed again!!!:rolleyes::(
    Don't take my IMBY statements, (coastal wicklow) as being indictative for Kildare. Along the coastal margin, say 5 or perhaps 10 miles depending on local topography and how strong an easterly there is, I believe Sun/Mon was always going to be marginal. My opinion, others may disagree

Beautiful light fluffy snow here now.
    Temperature rise seems to have (temporarily) halted at 0.2°C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-9.4c here near claremorris, fog as well. Not a breath of wind.

Good news SC
    Now starting to settle on above ground surfaces
    1.9/-1.0C
    So despite my thinking otherwise, temp trend is down for moment

Wow, there is a lot of precip developing in the Irish Sea

0645.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

We all want snow but it would be funny if it didn't happen after the schools closing for three days

Yeah been watching it the last hour or two SC, The way it's pepped up in the last hour and a half is crazy!

Wow, there is a lot of precip developing in the Irish Sea
    Indeed! and perhaps my earlier pessimism which is almost inevitable when beside the coast was unfounded.
    1.8/-0.7C and a few flakes floating about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Power fully restored,and i have to commend the two ESB crews outside my home in about 20 min after power went.

They were sorting the whole stretch of the line and took them over two hours to fix the fault,fair play they must have been freezing.

Anyway the irish sea is definately roaring to life.hope they make it to me

We all want snow but it would be funny if it didn't happen after the schools closing for three days
    Snow or rain, ground conditions where there is ice now will be bad for days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Mothman wrote: »
    Indeed! and perhaps my earlier pessimism which is almost inevitable when beside the coast was unfounded.
    1.8/-0.7C and a few flakes floating about

Seems to be a heavier shower close to you MM. Have you got anything from that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Just woke up and checked MTs latest forecast and I'm infear now that the main event tomorrow might not be snow for us in Waterford. That would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Just started snowing in Arklow :)

Duiske wrote: »
    Seems to be a heavier shower close to you MM. Have you got anything from that ?
    Its moved through and left no more than a sugar sprinkle on the stones. I think I only caught the southern flank.
    Still the odd flake floating about, but that wouldn't amount to a mm in a day.

• Advertisement

Proper heavy snow here now.
    Temp up to 0.3°c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement