Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

Just want to say a big thanks to all the forecasters here - I don't post much but I read it all and am learning more with each passing day and with each thing I learn, little as they might be, it just gets more and more interesting. :)
    The two most important lessons I have learnt so far are 1) it's very difficult to predict exactly what the weather might do and 2) no amount of wishful thinking, impatience or frustration will ever it make it snow! You've just got to hope for the best and let the weather do what it's going to do. Anyway, thanks to you all for all the really great and interesting discussions.[/quote]

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rushah

Light snow shower Rush, Co Dub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

zenno wrote: »
    enlighten me.

Hmmm, do you read this forum at all, or do you just concentrate on making sure you get no snow?
    Reports of snow in Swords about 5mins after you said no snow in dublin today :rolleyes:
    I'm not going to bother explaining anything else becuase you probably won't read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I cannot believe this, reports of "slow mo snow":D and the radar...

This sounds exactly a convergence zone, but over land?? O wise forecasters, comment on these developments!

I had been watching 2 banks of clouds coming together to the south of me. Don't know if this is what you mean.
    photocg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

South east snow shield seems to be up and running:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Big flakes falling in Naas again :D

Where? Im in Naas. Can't see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi guys! Just came back from cork city centre myself and there was no snow! Was looking back over some of the posts and someone said it was snowing in cork city around the time I was in there - em no!:confused:

It's already been snowing here today and the precipitation, although light enough, is amplifiying in occurrence and area as we speak. Check the radar, it's showing the growth of showers too.
    Yeah straight easterly is much better for your area-seatrack length wise all the way from liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

haines35 wrote: »
    Really starting to kick off here in louth now,good strong snow in stiff easterly breezw with black skies over the irish sea bang on time!!

nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Really starting to kick off here in louth now,good strong snow in stiff easterly breezw with black skies over the irish sea bang on time!!
    Whereabouts roughly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

That train of snow showers has started tracking over D13 in the last half an hour - it looks really odd, because there are a number of big dark dirty-looking clouds heading by, but the sun is still shining brightly in between them. We've only caught a 5 minute flurry from them since it stopped this morning, but they do look like they are precipitating like mad.

wheres darkman2 by the way?

Rougies wrote: »
    Hmmm, do you read this forum at all, or do you just concentrate on making sure you get no snow?
    Reports of snow in Swords about 5mins after you said no snow in dublin today :rolleyes:
    I'm not going to bother explaining anything else becuase you probably won't read it!

i always read it dude. go easy man. but this is what i have seen nothing. just because it is slightly snowing in main street swords doesn't mean it's snowing in rivervalley. you see. the clouds are isolated very isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi guys! Just came back from cork city centre myself and there was no snow! Was looking back over some of the posts and someone said it was snowing in cork city around the time I was in there - em no!:confused:

there have been flurries here but nothing more really. maybe the same there.

zenno wrote: »
    i always read it dude. go easy man. but this is what i have seen nothing. just because it is slightly snowing in main street swords doesn't mean it's snowing in rivervalley. you see. the clouds are isolated very isolated.

Ok, but just because it's not snowing in rivervalley doesn't mean it's not snowing in Dublin!
    Anyway....enough of that...back to the snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So the wind is picking up is it now? Its so still and calm here.

there have been flurries here but nothing more really. maybe the same there.

Ya I think the words "it's snowing" are used if someone sees one flake falling!:D I'm trying to remain patient:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Not main St.Swords, I'm up near the manor, and there was a big enough snowfall this morning and 7:30, that did hit main st.
    Oh and its snowing again here now,seems to be 5 min showers, very small flakes though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Light flurries in Swords again now - wind really seems to have picked up. Hopefully this'll mean some heavier snow :D

john 1994 would be great to have around from here on in especially tomorrow. any sign of him at all lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It snowed in rochestown on and off for an hour. Really pathetic amount though.

Ya I think the words "it's snowing" are used if someone sees one flake falling!:D I'm trying to remain patient:)

yes try to! its not easy i know..a little flurry here now again...very cloudy here..how about there?

john 1994 would be great to have around from here on in especially tomorrow. any sign of him at all lately?

I think he went to Netweather. Poor guys.....

yes try to! its not easy i know..a little flurry here now again...very cloudy here..how about there?

More or less clear blue sky with a few fluffy White clouds which the sun has gone behind now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Damn I wish I was in work today so I could've seen the snow in Swords this morning :pac:

Well....not really... *takes another sip of hot tea and cuddles up in the blankets on the couch*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z GFS indicates there will be alot of snow for much of the country from beginning in the east later tonight.

It could however perhaps be marginal along eastern and southern coasts but this will be a nowcast situation.

For a large portion of the country though snow will be persistent through the day with moderate and at times heavy falls.

Could be some big accumulations.

Then as the Atlantic attempts to tackle in during Tuesday/Wednesday there is another chance of very heavy snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Kilkenny sunny and no sign of snow since morning when approx .75cm fell in total now about 3cm since Monday

Rougies wrote: »
    Ok, but just because it's not snowing in rivervalley doesn't mean it's not snowing in Dublin!
    Anyway....enough of that...back to the snow :D

lol good point. but waiting as i am for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Snowing steadily now here. Roscommon County.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z GFS will worry the forecasters.

Could be ALOT of snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement