Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

the south-east is looking good.

images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=loop3uur&c=&n=&tijdid=2010191659

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Says on the front of the evening echo "cork is bracing itself for snowfalls of up to 10 cm (four inches) tomorrow":eek:"according to met eireann snow will especially affect the southern half of the country":D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

Good shower of snow now in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

leahyl wrote: »
    Says on the front of the evening echo "cork is bracing itself for snowfalls of up to 10 cm (four inches) tomorrow":eek:"according to met eireann snow will especially affect the southern half of the country":D

Have you seen any snow today Leahyl? I really hope this event delivers for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

12z GFS indicates there will be alot of snow for much of the country from beginning in the east later tonight.

It could however perhaps be marginal along eastern and southern coasts but this will be a nowcast situation.

For a large portion of the country though snow will be persistent through the day with moderate and at times heavy falls.

Could be some big accumulations.

Then as the Atlantic attempts to tackle in during Tuesday/Wednesday there is another chance of very heavy snowfall.
    The met in the Uk have also increased their severe weather warnings to cover a wider area than earlier now reaching to Durham, i would imagine if that trend continues they will have a severe weather alert in for NI soon. The first significant snow event for the whole country for a long time i would guess, now if only it would start as snow on the south east coast ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

just started snowing again in Cabinteely

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Heavy snow now here in Castlebar...big flakes...This is great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Starting to snow in Glenageary, quite overcast now.

Rougies wrote: »
    Have you seen any snow today Leahyl? I really hope this event delivers for you!

Nope but very very cold here in the real capital! Hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Now I have no radio or TV and do not read newspapers, and I don't think I even want to know this.

This tomcat is black/white and this area is littered with his offspring already..... Enough is enough.

Wee dog hears him and barks to be let out to " see him off..." Treed him one night.

Will not leave him starving... will get to the gate ... IN THE SNOW! and leave food there for him.

t|nt|n wrote: »
    We should lock you and George Galloway in a room !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

South east snow shield seems to be up and running:(

I'm trying my best to disable it... I... just... need... another... 18... hours!!! :D

Anyway, I thought ye had snow up in Tommytown today anyway - did ye not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

good to see no downgrades as such apart from marginal in coast which is always a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

12z GFS will worry the forecasters.

Could be ALOT of snow.

I agree largely. In addition, the interaction of the somewhat milder TM Atlantic Air & Cold Polar air will likely lead to the formation of a rather vigirous low during next week. Its quite possible, as indicated on ECMWF 00Z, that this low will track south of Ireland, dragging in Easterly winds on it's Easterly flank..

With supporting cold air in place to our East still at that timeframe, it could very well be interesting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RazorT

Frequent snow showers near Slane for the last hour, light to moderate. After a wee thaw it's starting to freeze again. Roads will be treacherous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

leahyl wrote: »

According to the ME 3 hour forecast it looks like something is going to hit Cork from 6pm onwards (and Westport): :)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

About 4 snow showers in the past hour here in Limerick. Roads are iced as well and most of the snow is sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah straight easterly is much better for your area-seatrack length wise all the way from liverpool.
    I live in Dublin now, but I'm told that back home received a nice amount last night and this morning. The problem is the icy ground it's landing on... (from a driving point of view:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

First time poster. I am always fascinated by this forum and personally I love all sorts of extreme weather. Is it wrong just to be interested in the extreme stuff? Unfortunately I love to have the knowledge to feel confident to post on these boards but I 'd love to learn a lot more about all types of weather and what all this speak means. And of course I'd love to know where I get the gear for these amateur (some might say professional) weather stations. However thats for another day.

I'm in East Cork and we had a little flurry in the early afternoon. Nothing must to write home about. At the moment the sun in shining.

Keep up the good work. I love reading it. I hope to contribute more as I gain a bit of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

very heavy snow ishower in castlebar at the moment i hope it keeps up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

john 1994 would be great to have around from here on in especially tomorrow. any sign of him at all lately?

we have owenc instead now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm trying my best to disable it... I... just... need... another... 18... hours!!! :D

Anyway, I thought ye had snow up in Tommytown today anyway - did ye not?

Had a little , roughly 1cm, but some more would be nicee, sun came out for a few hours and melted alot despite the fact that its nearly -2 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Started snowing here again, lightly at present. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

A light shower in south Kilkenny a few minutes ago and no sign of a thaw here all day

snow ghost wrote: »
    According to the ME 3 hour forecast it looks like something is going to hit Cork from 6pm onwards (and Westport): :)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

Now that's what I like to hear!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Deep easterly, the radar shows snow with you? Do you have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

12z GFS will worry the forecasters.

Could be ALOT of snow.

Hey WC - Have you a link to see please ?

Current conditions: Extreemly pink/Brown sky - Snowing moderately

Edit: Rapid blizzard in seconds - Thats actually scary

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

naughto wrote: »
    very heavy snow ishower in castlebar at the moment i hope it keeps up

Was about to head up to the booster station outside cbar for a hike, but glad I didnt now...Great to see snow today, hopefully more tonight!

Well well, the 3 hr forecast is tasty for Louth. I believe it is understating potential, as the sea fetch is almost as perfect as could be.

Any reports from the wee county?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

snaps wrote: »
    we have owenc instead now!

Lol now now - Wonder what its like in Owen land ? 1metre yet ??

• Advertisement

I can now report moderate snow in city centre. Again:)

Edit: short lived. It's looking like a very intermittent evening according to the auld radar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement