Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

hawker wrote: »

Keep up the good work. I love reading it. I hope to contribute more as I gain a bit of knowledge.

I have absolutely no knowledge and I post the whole time!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

leahyl wrote: »
    Nope but very very cold here in the real capital! Hehe!

Leahyl, like yourself i have been waiting. However did see two flurries today :)

A light shower in south Kilkenny a few minutes ago and no sign of a thaw here all day

Not in my part of South Kilkenny!!!:mad:

Not much thaw here either, never rose above -1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Major backtrack from the gfs and ukmo after wed
    Cold continues with the scandi high getting stronger again.
    Looks like a marginal blip tues / wed if at all

Of course before all this a nationwide snowstorm tomorrow, worst for the south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Weight of forecasts for tomorrow seem to be edging ever closer to rain / sleet. Every time you look away for 2 hours the position deteriorates further.:mad:

• Advertisement

jenzz wrote: »
    Lol now now - Wonder what its like in Owen land ? 1metre yet ??
    It's going to be snowy in jenzz land anyhow for the next few hours looking at the radar..

GavinH wrote: »
    Leahyl, like yourself i have been waiting. However did see two flurries today :)

Your only seeing the menu for tomor
    Starter course for cork before lunch
    Main course 3-9pm when we will see inches of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's for the posts like this that I sit at my PC pressing f5 for hours on end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

and is there not a major snow event for tuesday as well possibly? this cold seems determined to stay.

i presume you are including cork in the south!

Weight of forecasts for tomorrow seem to be edging ever closer to rain / sleet. Every time you look away for 2 hours the position deteriorates further.:mad:

???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

:Djanuarysnowstor you never fail to keep me upbeat - nationwide snowstorm lol! Let's hope so:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Weight of forecasts for tomorrow seem to be edging ever closer to rain / sleet.

Rain/sleet without a general thaw to follow would be a disaster, much worse then snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Reached a max of -1.0. Has dropped 1.0°C in the last half hour.
    My attempts all day of thawing the mains water have failed miserably.
    At least we have heat, open fire and central heating.
    Getting buckets of water from neighbours.

Temperature: -2.3 °C
    Dew Point: -2.9 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

jenzz wrote: »
    Lol now now - Wonder what its like in Owen land ? 1metre yet ??

Owen the Eagle is practising for the winter olympics by ski jumping and ice skating - on a car park that he thinks is a frozen lake - for when the event inevitably comes to Coleraine. apart from that he is celebrating passing his exam in teaching English as a Foreign Language... the examiner said that Owen's English was foreign to him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Rougies wrote: »
    It's for the posts like this that I sit at my PC pressing f5 for hours on end :D

Believe it or not i never knew f5 was refresh, Cheers rougies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well don't eat my head off but north-east dublin is only going to get the odd tiny snow flurry tonight the south-east will get a nice accumulation over night. tomorrow night is the important one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

vizualpics wrote: »
    Was about to head up to the booster station outside cbar for a hike, but glad I didnt now...Great to see snow today, hopefully more tonight!
    yes it is as we got very little compare to some places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

It's going to be snowy in jenzz land anyhow for the next few hours looking at the radar..

Thank you hun

I dont think i want anymore though..., Another 3 cm easily this morning....The dogs in heat..... She wont go out..... The kids are sick of the cold..... They wont go out.....

Ah no sod it - bring it on .....I need to make a sofa to go with the arm chair... The lady boy needs a boy/girl friend..... & I no longer need to use the freezer to freeze anything lol

:D

and is there not a major snow event for tuesday as well possibly? this cold seems determined to stay.

i presume you are including cork in the south!

Cork is the south:D:D

so true so true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Just thinking (which is not normal) If the lowest recorded Temp is Minus 19 back in 1942 or whenever. ME still acknowledge that but fail to recognise Villians minus 17.4. The equipment used back then can't have been as accurate as today's computers etc, so why can they not accept it from Villain? we should start a petition thread and give it to THEM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Was out for the afternoon and it was lovely and sunny but very cold. Checked the radar and could'nt believe how much action is going on in the east and the Irish Sea. I guess our snow shield will block anything thats coming near us :mad: Temp is -1.5c DP -3.1c.

snow ghost wrote: »
    Owen the Eagle is practising for the winter olympics by ski jumping and ice skating - on a car park that he thinks is a frozen lake - for when the event inevitably comes to Coleraine. apart from that he is celebrating passing his exam in teaching English as a Foreign Language... the examiner said that Owen's English was foreign to him. :)

PMSL:D:D:D

& then he has to go back to school on Monday as their schools arent closed despite 2 metres of snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

zenno wrote: »
    well don't eat my head off but north-east dublin is only going to get the odd tiny snow flurry tonight the south-east will get a nice accumulation over night. tomorrow night is the important one.

How come the forecasts are starting to say that there'll be rain here in the South East?

Someone has just posted beautifull pictures of the snow in south co wicklow :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055793136

snow ghost wrote: »

Stop lads - Im pissing myself here:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Edit:

Now that's an optimistic post for snow:)

I'm curious to know, why are you certain at the lack of marginality for tomorrow?

The following two charts indicate that there's only snow likely away from coastal areas/counties except on high ground.
    10011103_0912.gif
    10011106_0912.gif

Note that I'm not making a prediction here. Just want to see some feedback about this.

The track of much of the air of this system does seem to be coming from a cold and dry continent, so I can't figure out myself why the models are consistently putting dew points too high?

I'd still not be caught in the Annamoe area with the forecast as it stands anyway;)

Apologies, the top chart is from GFS (the higher res model I think) and the bottom is from the UK meso model.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OH YEAH lol!:D

kleefarr wrote: »

Thank God our waters all right. Thanks for all the temp updates:D

Still have to fill buckets for the cattle and the boilers on the blink, but as long as i trip the switch back every 5 mins its all right:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

kleefarr wrote: »

snap !!!

At least I have wine to drink - purely to conserve the water ;)
    Grey and rather ominous-looking clouds blowing into Clare from the East - Max temp today -0.8C but as sun's going down it's falling steadily.
    Slight flurry earlier but has given up now.

Intrigued by WC's earlier posting about the 12Z GFS....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement