Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially cheap DTT/SAT HD Combo €129

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

That's not strictly true. It let's you watch other channels on the same transponder. See this for list of channels on each transponder.

So if you want to record ITV1 and watch ITV4 you can do this if you select ITV1 London as it's on the same transponder as ITV4. You can't record from UTV as it's on a different transponder
    OneWayBet wrote: »
    Yes this is a limitation of the box. I have seen it posted that a future firmware will allow this, but currently it certainly can't watch DTT and record SAT or vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jd_darkroom

That's not strictly true. It let's you watch other channels on the same transponder. See this for list of channels on each transponder.

So if you want to record ITV1 and watch ITV4 you can do this if you select ITV1 London as it's on the same transponder as ITV4. You can't record from UTV as it's on a different transponder

So if I'm recording UTV I can only switch to ITV-3, ITV-3+1, and STV-N,W,E, tp54?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

So if I'm recording UTV I can only switch to ITV-3, ITV-3+1, and STV-N,W,E, tp54?

Correct. And it is not just a limitation of this box. It applies to all satellite boxes. That's why a Sky+ box has two tuners. Each tuner can only tune to one transponder at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jd_darkroom

tlaavtech wrote: »
    Correct. And it is not just a limitation of this box. It applies to all satellite boxes. That's why a Sky+ box has two tuners. Each tuner can only tune to one transponder at a time.

Thanks Paul for the clarification!!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

I am tempted to buy one of these boxes now as I can get UK and ROI DTT in my living room but don't have the feature built into my TV or a STB, I only have a FTA satellite box in the living room. Having the extra Freeview channels that satellite doesn't provide and also getting RTÉ in proper widescreen is a definite plus. Where can I get this box and how much is it now? Has it reduced at all since being released earlier in the year?

Any more word on getting a software update for full Freesat EPG? Other STB's which are not Freesat branded have released updates so their boxes can receive the info, so hopefully it will come to these boxes too.

Do the white Sky FTV cards definitely work out of the box or does more (unofficial) software have to be installed? If it does work I could replace Channel 4 and Channel 5 with their HD counterparts so, apart from BBC 2, all the main UK terrestrial channels would be in HD or upscaled (BBC 1 HD launching in a few months time).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Any more word on getting a software update for full Freesat EPG? Other STB's which are not Freesat branded have released updates so their boxes can receive the info, so hopefully it will come to these boxes too.

Do the white Sky FTV cards definitely work out of the box or does more (unofficial) software have to be installed? If it does work I could replace Channel 4 and Channel 5 with their HD counterparts so, apart from BBC 2, all the main UK terrestrial channels would be in HD or upscaled (BBC 1 HD launching in a few months time).

MOST COMBOs dont have firmware that do Freesat EPG. I dont know where you got that idea.

Ch4 HD will be on Freesat by end of this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

tlaavtech wrote: »

The Humax Foxsats also have 2 tuners.

STB wrote: »
    MOST COMBOs dont have firmware that do Freesat EPG.

Most? So their is a combo that does actually do both?

almighty1 wrote: »
    The Humax Foxsats also have 2 tuners.

But NO dvb-t tuner for DTT (ie RTE etc)

Very true, sorry I forgot I was on the terrestrial forum :o

• Advertisement

almighty1 wrote: »
    Most? So their is a combo that does actually do both?

Azbox HD
    Dreambox 8000

STB wrote: »
    MOST COMBOs dont have firmware that do Freesat EPG. I dont know where you got that idea.

Ch4 HD will be on Freesat by end of this year.
    What idea? I said OTHERS do, there are a handful that do, nowhere in my post did I imply that most or all FTA boxes do or should do, so I don't know where you got that idea.

Do you have a source for Channel 4 HD being on Freesat by end of the year? There has been nothing reported about this anywhere else, and it is pretty big news for Freesat, it would have been widely reported before now.

What is this source thing ? Is it for people that dont actually work in the broadcasting sector ?

Ch4 HD: The reason they havent been on freesat as soon as possible is because of the content they broadcast. In order to keep within their programme rights stipulations, they need a narrow sat pattern on 2d.

It has been reported in media circles (not just internet forums) for some time that they are at an advanced negotiation for that coveted space on 2d.

Is what you said. I wasnt having a go at you (sorry for the caps on 2 words). I am just saying that not one combo box manufacturer has actually rolled out firmware to existing boxes to enable the 7 day epg.

The only boxes that do it are expensive boxes like the Dreambox 8000 or new products like the Azbox HD which had firmware available from early days. It would have to be a linux box with enigma 2 loaded or open source access and firmware written by the underground teams.

Fortec Star did do with the passion a year or 2 back (on the back of myth tv's workaround, bu that is not a combo box).

Yes, but I didn't say a combo box either, I just said STB (and there are a few that have the Freesat EPG) so I was wondering why you brought combo boxes into it.

I wonder what this coveted space on 2D actually is, seeing as I certainly haven't seen anything to hint at either Channel 4 looking to join Freesat anytime soon (considering they recently signed another long term deal to keep Channel 4 HD on Sky FTV, so why pay to have a second version taking up valuable space on an already packed satellite) or that indeed there is going to be any space freed up on 2D, and that will only happen if Sky moves their channels off it, and as they are a competitor to Freesat they're hardly going to do that to help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

2D is the only Spot beam. Anything important for UK that's FTA has to be on 2D.

Encrypted channels can be on any beam of the FOUR satellites at 28.2E and 28.5
    Eurobird 1 (28.5)
    Astra 2A
    Astra 2B
    Astra 2D
    http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

0_astra_2D_north_L.jpg
    Astra 2D spot

0_astra_2A_2B_north_L.jpg
    Astra 2A and Astra 2B North Beam
    Note West of Ireland and Scotland needs bigger dish.

So Freesat needs 2D, not 2A or 2B or Hotbird (North, south, Fixed and S1 beams) to allow Free to Air for premium content and consistent dish size from Lands End to John O'Groats and Essex to Anglesea

Yes, but I didn't say a combo box either, I just said STB (and there are a few that have the Freesat EPG) so I was wondering why you brought combo boxes into it.

Because the thread is entitled DTT/Sat Combo Box and is all about the Edison Combo box (or at least it was). Either way the only HD sat box that I know about that has had firmware unoffially made available to enable 7 day day epg was the Fortec Star HD Passion. And that was implemented by Rapture and Fortec on the back of myth tv figuring out the huffman tables etc. I dont know of any others. Do you ? Infact if you want a a 7 day epg box with no DTT just buy a Freesat branded box! This thread talk is about a combo box.

I wonder what this coveted space on 2D actually is, seeing as I certainly haven't seen anything to hint at either Channel 4 looking to join Freesat anytime soon (considering they recently signed another long term deal to keep Channel 4 HD on Sky FTV, so why pay to have a second version taking up valuable space on an already packed satellite) or that indeed there is going to be any space freed up on 2D, and that will only happen if Sky moves their channels off it, and as they are a competitor to Freesat they're hardly going to do that to help them out.

The coveted space is taken up by Sky, you are dead right. It includes RTE which is encrypted and does not need to be there. Infact no encrypted channels should really be hogging narrow beams as they are infact encrypted. Some people might take a cynical view on this use of narrow beam transponder space. In any event it will all become irrelevant when the new birds at E, F and G go up which are also narrow band and allow for multiple spot beams. Regardless of what you read about marketshare etc, Channel 4 has a PSB role and take it very seriously. Most people forget that they are public owned and a public service broadcaster and very much operate that public funding should mean wide availability ethos and most certainly not just those who can afford subscription tv.

ITVs decision has people wondering how it will go and if this is indeed it is a marker for future HD moves. I would like to think that its just an interim measure on a wait and see aproach until more spotbeams become available in 2012-13 and waiting for technology to catch up and HD becoming the norm in households.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

In response to "Yes this is a limitation of the box. I have seen it posted that a future firmware will allow this, but currently it certainly can't watch DTT and record SAT or vice versa."

Actually, it is strictly true! But yes you can record from the same transponder, however since DTT and SAT are on different tuners there is a theoretical possibility that the combo can watch one and record the other. Some combos have a hardware limitation of the CPU which cannot control both tuners at the same time, I am not sure if this is the case with the Edision. It says here that a future firmware will enable this feature but so far no sign of this firmware http://www.saortv.com/shop/Digital-TV-Receivers/Combo/Edision-Argus-mini-2-in-1-IP-Combo-HD-Satellite/DTT-Receiver/prod_72.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Actually, it is strictly true! But yes you can record from the same transponder, however since DTT and SAT are on different tuners there is a theoretical possibility that the combo can watch one and record the other. Some combos have a hardware limitation of the CPU which cannot control both tuners at the same time, I am not sure if this is the case with the Edision. It says here that a future firmware will enable this feature but so far no sign of this firmware http://www.saortv.com/shop/Digital-TV-Receivers/Combo/Edision-Argus-mini-2-in-1-IP-Combo-HD-Satellite/DTT-Receiver/prod_72.html

I have followed up a number of times with edision on this. I have bneen repeatedly told its coming. Apparently we in Ireland are the only market shouting for this hence they have not prioritised to date. It is not hardware limited and is specifically possible in the mini 2 in1 IP where it wasnt in the old 2 in 1. I am in discussion with Edision about this and further development of what I think is a great box.

slegs wrote: »
    I have followed up a number of times with edision on this. I have bneen repeatedly told its coming. Apparently we in Ireland are the only market shouting for this hence they have not prioritised to date. It is not hardware limited and is specifically possible in the mini 2 in1 IP where it wasnt in the old 2 in 1. I am in discussion with Edision about this and further development of what I think is a great box.

Agreed - for the price it certainly is a great box. In fact I think watch/record on SAT/DTT would be a bonus, it's a great box without it.

If the price is no longer €129, shouldn't the thread title be amended? I was interested in getting one but noticed they have went up by €40 since they were released a few months ago. There was me thinking prices went down the longer a product was for sale.

• Advertisement

The one that is being sold now is the Edision Argus mini 2 in 1 IP Combo HD Satellite/DTT Receiver.

The original didnt have IP. They were that price back then and for some time. Now there are more in the range.

Hi All

Apparently the watch terrestrial record satellite firmware has been released.

Take a backup of your settings and you should be able to apply the channel list back after

See below

http://www.argus-family.de/software/edisionargusmini_software_080910.zip

Please let me know how you get on...

regards
    Paul

This thread should be renamed Edision Argus 2n1 Mini. The Thread title no longer makes sense. Can someone mod please. I dont have the rights.

@slegs: They finally gave in I see which is good news - support from a box manufacturer at last ! I wonder how many are actually out there in Ireland ?

Hi All

Apparently the watch terrestrial record satellite firmware has been released.

Take a backup of your settings and you should be able to apply the channel list back after

See below

http://www.argus-family.de/software/edisionargusmini_software_080910.zip

Please let me know how you get on...

regards
    Paul

Hey Paul,
    I just upgraded using http update, glad to see the startup screen has been translated to English but sadly the record/play on dtt/sat does not work :-(
    I tested both ways i.e. watch DTT, hit REC then go to switch to a sat channel and it warns that it will stop recording if you switch, then tried recording sat and went to change to DTT channel same result.

Hey Paul,
    I just upgraded using http update, glad to see the startup screen has been translated to English but sadly the record/play on dtt/sat does not work :-(
    I tested both ways i.e. watch DTT, hit REC then go to switch to a sat channel and it warns that it will stop recording if you switch, then tried recording sat and went to change to DTT channel same result.

For anyone tempted to try this firmware DONT FORGET TO BACKUP because you will probably end up going back to the old one.

For me the sat/dtt play/record feature doesn't work, however even worse is that when it boots up I my DTT channels report "No Signal". The strange thing is that it continues to show no signal until I go to DTT setup and select TP Edit, at that point (without scanning) the signal bars shoot up and the channels become available. So this seems to be a software regression. I have reverted back to the old one.
    The good news is that the backup worked perfectly so if anyone else wants to try it I'd be interested to hear if they get the same result.

I had heard that you can watch terrestrial and record from satellite. Havent had a chance to test myself yet.

I had heard that you can watch terrestrial and record from satellite. Havent had a chance to test myself yet.

Nope, doesn't work, at least for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

For anyone tempted to try this firmware DONT FORGET TO BACKUP because you will probably end up going back to the old one.

For me the sat/dtt play/record feature doesn't work, however even worse is that when it boots up I my DTT channels report "No Signal". The strange thing is that it continues to show no signal until I go to DTT setup and select TP Edit, at that point (without scanning) the signal bars shoot up and the channels become available. So this seems to be a software regression. I have reverted back to the old one.
    The good news is that the backup worked perfectly so if anyone else wants to try it I'd be interested to hear if they get the same result.

Pretty much the same issue here for me on the Argus Mini 2in1 (not the IP version).
    I upgraded to the latest F/W available from the Argus-Family website then restored my channel list from a previous backup. All the SAT channels were fine but even after a succesfull search for terrestrial all the DTT channels showed "No Signal".
    And no luck with the Watch Sat/Record DTT either. While recording e4 i could only change to one of the other Channel 4 variants (not sure which of C4,More4, +1's etc...).

But as stated above, this looks like a backward step on the F/W.
    Thanks for the updates anyway lads, it was worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Has anybody got the CCcam to work properly in on Argus Mini 2in1 IP? I tried the latest ILTV image, but it didn't work properly, pixelations every seven seconds. I had to setup oscam on my Vu+ Duo so I could use newcamd on the Argus. It's working perfectly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Slegs, Thinking of going this route but 1 quick question, is the PVR external, i.e. can any hard drive be attached or is there an option for an inbuilt hard drive.

Finally, if the Irish DTT is being launched in Oct are you expecting specific boxes to be launched at the same time.

Thanks

Advertisement