Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially cheap DTT/SAT HD Combo €129

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Might be due to the dodgy Edision boxes, they're a really good combo box if you get a good one but seems there is a very high failure rate which must be a PITA for a retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Not suprised saortv is closed the guy who ran it was a spanner , He cancelled my order because I complained it was taking him too long to deliver ,
    I told him then he would not last long and how right i was
    Agreed but my experience was negative , It seems here you can only post positive feedback , When I posted what happened the posts were deleted and I was banned ,

I told guy based on my dealings with him he was doomed to fail , Again I have been proved correct , If he was making a profit he would have kept the site going at all costs , He has simply thrown in the towel

That is my last comment on the matter .

Your a nice bloke arent you. You must be delighted with your prediction. I wouldnt think you will get much patting on the back here though. Perhaps you could crawl back under the rock from where you came ?

On topic
    As with any technology mass produced there will be a small fail rate. This certainly isnt helped by people flashing them with the wrong firmware or indeed badly written third party firmware to achieve something else other than that they are designed to do. They are quite popular across Europe. Infact they are quite popular in Ireland too without fail complaints!.

So many people here with their own agendas - for those who have just tuned in be aware that it is likely that cable companies and pay subscription companies come here to diss fta equipment because of huge people jumping ship. Particularly watch out for people that signed up recently! I have said it before and I'll say it again - 9 out of the top 10 stations watched in Ireland are free to air. You do not need to subscribe to UPC or Sky.

If you want one of the Edision boxes you will find them on tvtrade.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CircusIntro

STB wrote: »
    Your a nice bloke arent you. You must be delighted with your prediction. I wouldnt think you will get much patting on the back here though. Perhaps you could crawl back under the rock from where you came ?

On topic
    As with any technology mass produced there will be a small fail rate. This certainly isnt helped by people flashing them with the wrong firmware or indeed badly written third party firmware to achieve something else other than that they are designed to do. They are quite popular across Europe. Infact they are quite popular in Ireland too without fail complaints!.

So many people here with their own agendas - for those who have just tuned in be aware that it is likely that cable companies and pay subscription companies come here to diss fta equipment because of huge people jumping ship. Particularly watch out for people that signed up recently! I have said it before and I'll say it again - 9 out of the top 10 stations watched in Ireland are free to air. You do not need to subscribe to UPC or Sky.

If you want one of the Edision boxes you will find them on tvtrade.ie.

UPC/SKY Posting negative comment's on here - STB you are a fantasist

That is my last comment on the matter .

Have you not gone yet ?

Relevant to thread
    If people are having problems with any box be aware that changing the original firmware to third party firmware can be the cause of booting problems. To those I would suggest you go back to the original.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-argus-mini-combo-receiver-user-manual.html

On topic

Interesting conspiracy theory! Let's keep a look out for corporate posters :)
    As a former Sky customer I have to say the (replacement) Edision box has been really good, in some respects better than Sky (e.g. I have just tuned in Sky One HD which Sky does not offer on the EPG), the only real downside is the EPG which is far short of Sky but a feature worth losing considering there is no subscription fee. Also sometimes I notice 'jaggies' in closeup scenes but this isn't a big problem.

On the subject of failures, neither mine or a friend's box were flashed with any third party firmware it was a hardware failure, my first box actualy rebooted every time I slightly tilted it and also randomly rebooted.

To sum up this box I view it as a short term box that I will use for 1-2 years and then relegate it to the spare room when I am hoping the Linux boxes with full Freesat EPG will be more reasonably priced.

• Advertisement

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Might be due to the dodgy Edision boxes, they're a really good combo box if you get a good one but seems there is a very high failure rate which must be a PITA for a retailer.

Less than 1% according to the information I have to hand.

Look as regards free platforms vs pay platforms and survival I track posters here for sport and figure out agendas very quickly.

I dont sell any boxes or TVs by the way so no need for conspiracy theories. Its important that people are given the truth though about non pay alternatives to suit the majority's viewing habits - most of whom dont know that they dont need to subscribe to pay tv to watch their daily viewing anyway! But they will get educated as journalists pick up this info!

Hey STB, I couldn't agree more .... for me it's not about pay vs non-pay TV, it's about which combo box to get. Irish DTT really opens it up with crystal clear picture even with a crappy UHF contract aerial which is perfectly paired with your existing Sky dish. For me the Edision is the best combination of value to quality at the moment, it's not perfect but it is very good. As regards channels, outside of DTT/Freesat there is not much left other than Sky Sports, and frankly I'd sooner watch P2P than work to pay 684 euro p.a.* towards Rooney's wages!

* based on 57 euro per month for 2 mixes and sky sports 1+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Just noticed lately a lot of adverts for both FreeSat and freeView on ITV4. Preaching to the converted I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hey Dixiefly, if you find out can you let me know? I have one too and I haven't been able to get it working!

Thanks, Paul

I will Paul. It is not a major issue for me as I have a standard Pace box as well and I have setup the card with that one for the moment. However I would like to get it going with the Edision as it has the HD channels.

I have to say that I found Paul good to deal with in the interactions I had with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Interesting conspiracy theory! Let's keep a look out for corporate posters :)
    As a former Sky customer I have to say the (replacement) Edision box has been really good, in some respects better than Sky (e.g. I have just tuned in Sky One HD which Sky does not offer on the EPG), the only real downside is the EPG which is far short of Sky but a feature worth losing considering there is no subscription fee. Also sometimes I notice 'jaggies' in closeup scenes but this isn't a big problem.

On the subject of failures, neither mine or a friend's box were flashed with any third party firmware it was a hardware failure, my first box actualy rebooted every time I slightly tilted it and also randomly rebooted.

To sum up this box I view it as a short term box that I will use for 1-2 years and then relegate it to the spare room when I am hoping the Linux boxes with full Freesat EPG will be more reasonably priced.

How did you get Sky One HD??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For those who use external USB HDD or flash stick, do you have any info on what filesystems are usable on such devices ...... FAT, NTFS, ext2/3/4 etc. ?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Can anyone recommend a DTT/SAT combo box for an elderly mother ? No bells and whistles required. Only important issue is that all channels, both DTT and Sat are listed together on one EPG. Now and Next only on Sat is not a problem either. There must be no switching or button changing to move between two separate epg's. All channels on ONE list eg

1 RTE 1
    2 RTE 2
    3 TV3
    4 TG4
    5 RTE News Now
    6 BBC1
    7 BBC2
    8 ITV1

etc, etc.

Recording is not an issue here either. PLAIN and SIMPLE is the order here. I would appreciate any suggetions and where it can be purchased.

dixiefly wrote: »
    How did you get Sky One HD??

I tuned it in manually, do a TP scan on Astra 28.2E and it should show up. If you can't find it give me a shout and I will look it up again to provide more info.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a DTT/SAT combo box for an elderly mother ? No bells and whistles required. Only important issue is that all channels, both DTT and Sat are listed together on one EPG. Now and Next only on Sat is not a problem either. There must be no switching or button changing to move between two separate epg's. All channels on ONE list eg

1 RTE 1
    2 RTE 2
    3 TV3
    4 TG4
    5 RTE News Now
    6 BBC1
    7 BBC2
    8 ITV1

etc, etc.

Recording is not an issue here either. PLAIN and SIMPLE is the order here. I would appreciate any suggetions and where it can be purchased.

The Edision Argus 2n1 OR the Ferguson Ariva HD Combo.

The Ferguson Ariva HD Combo is sold by satellite.ie. Boardie, "Tony" who mainly posts in the satellite forum is the owner and may be able to advise you about a suitable simple 5 button universal remote that works with the Fergusons.

The Edision Argus is sold by TVtrade.ie. I am not sure that they have a presence here on boards (that I know of).

Either box is €170 and the channel lists are in one list and easy configurable to your choice. You can backup the channel lists to a USB key as a backup.

Most good retailers pre load them for you.

About making them motherproof. I suggest you buy a separate universal remote control that has 5 or 6 basic buttons as a replacement (about €5). Otherwise You will end up taping the original remote control to hide all the buttons.

!BmLHcbg!mk~$(KGrHqUOKjUEtlu8Dr06BLes+l5zRQ~~_12.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The Edision Argus 2n1 OR the Ferguson Ariva HD Combo.

The Ferguson Ariva HD Combo is sold by satellite.ie. Boardie, "Tony" who mainly posts in the satellite forum is the owner and may be able to advise you about a suitable simple 5 button universal remote that works with the Fergusons.

The Edision Argus is sold by TVtrade.ie. I am not sure that they have a presence here on boards (that I know of).

Either box is €170 and the channel lists are in one list and easy configurable to your choice. You can backup the channel lists to a USB key as a backup.

Most good retailers pre load them for you
    About making them motherproof. I suggest you buy a separate universal remote control that has 5 or 6 basic buttons as a replacement (about €5). Otherwise You will end up taping the original remote control to hide all the buttons.

Thanks for the detailed advice. Much appreciated.

Just upgraded software and bootloader. Can't spot any changes, still no simultaneous record/play on DTT/SAT. Not sure if this will ever come to this hardware.
    If trying it be sure to backup to USB first and restore your channel list after upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

With the latest iltv 1.3.40 and newer, cc*am is working properly.

You need to adjust these settings:

Menu Button
    Select "Conditional Access" menu
    Select "CA Setting" option
    Select "Mcas Config"
    Enable "NDS delay enable"
    Set "NDS delay time" to 700ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Bought this one from this German Trader on Thursday, hopefully all will go well. Cost €142 total. .Hopefully should get a couple of years out of this and hopefully more as a standby box. They rang within an hour to confirm that I had no postcode and said that they would be shipping it same day, pretty good English. Sent out DHL tracking number later that evening. Will let you know how it goes. Don't think it's the ip version, hence the lower price, but should be ok for my needs. Probably take a few days to arrive, due to holidays.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Bought this one from this German Trader on Thursday, hopefully all will go well. Cost €142 total

Will that come with an set up in English function or will you have to download software and put it on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

It'll work out of the box.

Though updating the firmware (which can often fix little bugs) is straightforward.

Apogee wrote: »
    It'll work out of the box.

Though updating the firmware (which can often fix little bugs) is straightforward.

Sorry, just for clarification, are you saying it will have an english language on screen set up guide?

Sorry, just for clarification, are you saying it will have an english language on screen set up guide?

Yes. 99% of free-to-air receivers have an option for selecting different language settings.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Of the Edisions I saw, they come out of the box with German by default, but you just go to the language option (Sprache IIRC) and change it to English.

I'm trying to talk my father and mother (retired seniors) around to getting a couple of these boxes in their house as the channels they watch are basically the ones that a combi box will get for free (Irl + UK terrestrial). They currently pay for UPC in two rooms. It wouldn't be for a while because they're locked into a contract.

The thing is they get the internet and phone bundled with the UPC so my father will probably be reluctant - but I think it's worrth the nag.

Bought this one from this German Trader on Thursday, hopefully all will go well. Cost €142 total. .Hopefully should get a couple of years out of this and hopefully more as a standby box. They rang within an hour to confirm that I had no postcode and said that they would be shipping it same day, pretty good English. Sent out DHL tracking number later that evening. Will let you know how it goes. Don't think it's the ip version, hence the lower price, but should be ok for my needs. Probably take a few days to arrive, due to holidays.

little update. rang an post parcel service today and they had no record of the package, but said that it normally takes 5 working days to reach them and with the 2 bank holidays may have caused further delays.well to my surprise when i got home from work the receiver was there, package intact.

I knew I had good terrestrial and sat signals, so picked up all without a problem and it has been working fine for the last couple of hours.good box and the hd pictures are really good.

Oh and I can confirm that this isn't the IP version,but for the price it was grand.I thought the saving was pretty good, although I did not realise the ones being sold in Ireland were the IP ones,hence the slightly higher price.Not sure if I'll miss the IP functions in the future (not even sure what IP will bring), but hopefully this box will see me good for a couple of years till we see how things pan out.

Hooked up my external drive and I tried to do a simple record and that seemed to work fine.Didn't try a timed record yet.However I tried to pause live TV and it paused ok (altough the sound kept rolling), but when I hit pause button again it just jumped back to live tv. the stop button didn't seem to do anything. So I am wonerding if I need a firmware upgrade to sort this? does this problem sound familiar?

Here are the stats for the box......

model id - argus mini
    s/w version - 06000800_1.0.83
    h/w version - apollo 14
    loader version -1.1.1
    latest update - dec 11 2009 11.41.43
    vfd version - 01180103

Hope thats not too much info,haha. if it does need an update,can someone please point me in the direction of the best stable update available.

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

go here for official version, hxxp://www.argus-family.de/produktreceiverargusmini2in1.html

I have same box for ages now and its great, latest update in mine is 3 mar 2010

s/w version is 1.1.07

I cant see VFD version.

You have to set some buffer for pause to work, I have forgotten.

There is unofficial software as well but not worth it.

gb--

thanks for that. the version on the website seems to be v1.3.42 dated 31/03/11. not sure if this is ok,anyone?

• Advertisement

thanks for that. the version on the website seems to be v1.3.42 dated 31/03/11. not sure if this is ok,anyone?

The only other software version that I can find is version v1.2.86 posted on page 19. Seems Edision only post the latest on their website.

I hope you guys can confirm if the latest v1.3.42 works fine and is stable on the NON IP version of the Argus mini 2 in 1 that I have or if I need an older version?
    I would guess that it is stable, otherwise they would not post it on the official website,right?

Apogee - I notice your link is to version v1.3.42 , do you have experience with this software on the NON IP version?

Just to conifrm I currently have version 1.0.83 on it, thats what was preloaded. I posted the pause live tv problems I was having a few posts back. Was hoping a software upgrade would sort it.

Your help on this is much appreciated. Many thanks.

Advertisement