Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially cheap DTT/SAT HD Combo €129

Options
  • 09-01-2010 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

Edision argus mini 2in1´ HD PVR DVB-S2 / DVB-T

Looks too good to be true. €129

Someone may wish to look further into this. I dont speak German. I did notice that there is a line saying

"Note: Some features of the Argus VIP only work with an Internet connection."
    ??????

Potentially the cheapest DTT/SAT HD Combo I have seen in a while.

(in silver or black)

€129 from a rake of german sites.

R655.jpg

DO NOT BUY UNTIL IT IS CONFIRMED HERE AS WORKING IN IRELAND

Slegs may have seen one or tested one.

When someone looks into it further I'll stick up the URL to a site that charges €20 for delivery to Ireland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-pwUdVQ2B4 at about 1:50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Good find STB, hadnt seen this one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭stanley1

Technical Data Edision 'argus mini 2in1' HD DVB-S2 / DVB-T silber

Jetzt bestellen und vielleicht schon morgen haben.

Mit dem Argus Mini 2in1 bietet Edision einen HDTV-Receiver und einen DVB-T Receiver für wenig Geld, aber dafür im Top-Design und mit unglaublichen Austattungsmerkmalen.
    Denn der argus mini 2in1 schont nicht nur Ihren Geldbeutel, sondern auch die Umwelt. Standby Stromverbrauch nur 0,8 Watt. Überzeugen sie sich selbst.

Technische Daten:

- digitaler Satelliten-Receiver (DVB-S2 und DVB-T)
    - empfängt HDTV und normales digitales TV und Radio
    - empfängt DVBT, TV und Radio
    - 6000 Programmspeicherplätze
    - MPEG-2, MPEG-4 und H.264 kompatibel
    - Programmumschaltung in weniger als 1 Sekunde
    - 2x CI Schächte
    - 2x Conax Kartenleser integriert
    - mehrsprachiges TrueColor OnScreenDisplay & Menü
    - EDIVISION elektronische Programmzeitung
    - DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 und USALS
    - LNB Control:13/18V, 0/22K, 0/12V
    - Kanaleditierung mit Favoriten-Listen
    - RS-232 Software Schnittstelle
    - 2x Scart (TV, VCR)
    - Untertitel Unterstützung
    - Videotext (VBI & Software-Emulation)
    - Übertragung von Kanälen und Programminformationen von Receiver zu Receiver
    - PVR-Funktionen (Video Aufnahme, Wiedergabe, MP3)
    - zeitversetzte Aufnahme (TimeShift)
    - Aufnahme von 2 Kanälen zur gleichen Zeit (bei gleichem Transponder)
    - spannende Spiele vorinstalliert
    - programmierbarer Timer
    - automatische Sicherung des letzten Kanals
    - Software-Update per USB möglich
    - S/PDIF für Digital Audio o. Dolby AC-3 Bitstream Ausgang
    - USB 2.0 Port für USB-Festplatten und -Sticks
    - HDMI HD-Video-/ Audio-Ausgang
    - Auflösung 1920x1080 Pixel
    - 4:3 / 16:9 Bildwiedergabe
    - VFD-Display
    - IR-Fernbedienung
    - 100~250V Netzspannung, 50Hz/60Hz
    - Netzschalter
    - 3 Jahre Garantie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

For those of you without German, here is Google's attempt at a translation:

Technical Data Edision 'argus mini 2in1' HD DVB-S2 / DVB-T Silver

Order now and maybe tomorrow have.

The Argus Edision Mini 2in1 offers an HDTV receiver and a DVB-T receiver for little money, but for the top design and incredible Austattungsmerkmalen.
    For the argus mini 2in1 not only saves your money, but also the environment. Standby power consumption is just 0.8 watts. Convince them yourself

Specifications:

- Digital satellite receiver (DVB-S2 and DVB-T)
    - Receives digital HDTV and regular TV and radio
    - Receives DVBT, TV and radio
    - 6000 channel storage locations
    - MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and H.264 compliant
    - Program results in less than 1 seconds
    - 2 x CI slots
    - 2 x Common Interface Conax embedded
    - Multilingual TrueColor-Screen & Menu
    - Electronic Program Edivision Newspapers
    - DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and USALS
    - LNB Control: 13/18V, 0/22K, 0/12V
    - Channeledit with favorites lists
    - RS-232 Software Interface
    - 2 x Scart (TV, VCR)
    - Subtitle support
    - Teletext (VBI and software emulation)
    - Transfer of channels and program information from receiver to receiver
    - PVR features (video recording, playback, MP3)
    - Time-shift recording (TimeShift)
    - Addition of 2 channels at the same time (for the same transponder)
    - Exciting games preinstalled
    - Programmable Timer
    - Automatic backup of the last channel
    - Software update via USB possible
    - S / PDIF for digital audio without a Dolby AC-3 Bitstream Output
    - USB 2.0 port for USB hard drives and memory sticks
    - HDMI HD video / audio output
    - Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
    - 4:3 / 16:9
    - VFD display
    - IR remote control
    - 100 ~ 250V Voltage, 50Hz/60Hz
    - Power switch
    - 3 years warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Anyone got any updates on this?

How does it compare it with, say, Mvision HD200/300?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

It will have to be good to compare to the Mvision 300. The best thing i love about the Mvision 300 is that it will play avi files from a usb flash drive.

Have to admit, for the specs its a cracking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

slegs wrote: »
    Good find STB, hadnt seen this one yet.

What do you think of it now, i assume you have had a chance to play with one by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I stocked Edision satellite boxes many years ago and the failure rate was appalling, hopefully they are better now.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Tony wrote: »
    I stocked Edision satellite boxes many years ago and the failure rate was appalling, hopefully they are better now.

Dont tell slegs that as he has 50 to sell.:)

In all fairness the hardware on sale these days comes from a handful of OEMs so its the same chipset/build rebadged.

STB wrote: »

In all fairness the hardware on sale these days comes from a handful of OEMs so its the same chipset/build rebadged.

I have been playing with it over the last week and its got everything the Mvision has and even a little more (USB key speed test for recording, games, backup of software and channel lists together in one file, Aplhanumeric VFD display). In fact recording seems to work better than the MVision. Very high quality remote also for a unit in this price range. Cant fault it so far and the build seems of a good quality. Time will tell but I am very happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

STB wrote: »

Sorry Slegs, i'm sure they are fine :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I have been playing with it over the last week and its got everything the Mvision has and even a little more (USB key speed test for recording, games, backup of software and channel lists together in one file, Aplhanumeric VFD display). In fact recording seems to work better than the MVision. Very high quality remote also for a unit in this price range. Cant fault it so far and the build seems of a good quality. Time will tell but I am very happy with it.

Does it play avi files and will it read a white FTV card?

snaps wrote: »
    Does it play avi files and will it read a white FTV card?

Dont think AVI but it does MP3. There is unofficial EMU software out since November and multiple releases (much like MVision Speedy). Havent tried Sky FTV cards yet as I havent activated my white card but will do at the weekend.

This box is the real deal. Has received very good reviews and good feedback on forums. Has the feel of a much more expensive receiver especiallty in the menus and quick scanning / channel changing. Has all the output ports and CAM/CI you could need. I have tried over 15 different combo box models and this is well up there.

Tony wrote: »
    Sorry Slegs, i'm sure they are fine :)

No bother Tony!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

any discount for boards members slegs??:D also not too techy but can you explain what i need the usb key for and a hard drive or will just the usb key do for the pvr function. ( thinking of buying it for my ma and she aint too technical minded all she wants is something that will get her rte and bbc without having 2 boxes and remotes)

No problem with giving a discount to Boardsies :) just drop me a note before you order and I will give a discount code

The USB Key or external USB hard drive is used for two things.

1. Upgrading and backing up software and channel lists
    2. PVR recording, live pause and instant rewind functionality.

An external powered USB hard drive will be quicker and have more space. Generally you would need an external drive to record HD for example as HD uses 3-4 times more memory than SD channels for the same amount of time recorded.

You can also use a USB key to record and pause etc but generally you would only be able to record a few programs on say a 2GB USB Key. They are getting cheaper though and have more memory than before.

I have used a 4GB key on the Edision over the last week and live pause and rewind works perfectly for SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Oh...typical! I buy a HD300 and a week later a cheaper and better box appears! I did notice from the screenshots that the menus look more professional esp the recording banner info. Can't fault the Mvision TBH but the Edision recording list/preview looks better than the Mvision.... Seems you can rename and preview from within the recorded programs list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I've never used an external harddrive or usb for PVR functions, so can I ask :

a. If this box has a seven day epg for Irish DTT, I presume you can program a recording for up to 7 days ahead using the hard drive or usb ?

b. If the satellite function has no epg as such, only now and next, I presume you can only record the sat channel you are watching ? and cannot record in advance,say a programme say on BBC 1, in two days time ?

c.Can you watch Sat channels while recording DTT ?

d.Is presume it doesn't have any series link function ?

e.Is the pause and playback "live tv" function, instant as it is on a Sky+box, ie one press of a button ?

Forgive all the questions, but it seems like a fantastic piece of kit for the price, I'm just wondering how close it is to a Sky+ box using the external hard drive or usb.

No problem with giving a discount to Boardsies :) just drop me a note before you order and I will give a discount code

The USB Key or external USB hard drive is used for two things.

1. Upgrading and backing up software and channel lists
    2. PVR recording, live pause and instant rewind functionality.

An external powered USB hard drive will be quicker and have more space. Generally you would need an external drive to record HD for example as HD uses 3-4 times more memory than SD channels for the same amount of time recorded.

You can also use a USB key to record and pause etc but generally you would only be able to record a few programs on say a 2GB USB Key. They are getting cheaper though and have more memory than before.

I have used a 4GB key on the Edision over the last week and live pause and rewind works perfectly for SD.

galtee boy wrote: »
    I've never used an external harddrive or usb for PVR functions, so can I ask :

a. If this box has a seven day epg for Irish DTT, I presume you can program a recording for up to 7 days ahead using the hard drive or usb ?
    Yes, you can schedule via EPG
    b. If the satellite function has no epg as such, only now and next, I presume you can only record the sat channel you are watching ? and cannot record in advance,say a programme say on BBC 1, in two days time ?
    You can schedule via a timer in this scenario much like a VCR would do in the past
    c.Can you watch Sat channels while recording DTT ?
    You can

1. Watch one terrestrial channel and record another terrestrial channel on same MUX (all Irish FTA channels are on the same MUX).
    2. Watch one satellite channel and record another satellite channel on the same transponder e.g. E4 UK and More4 UK
    3. You can live pause or rewind the channel you are watching while the other channel continues to record

You cant

1. Watch a terrestrial channel and record a satellite channel
    2. Watch a satellite channel from one transponder and record another satellite channel from a different transponder
    d.Is presume it doesn't have any series link function ?
    No series link
    e.Is the pause and playback "live tv" function, instant as it is on a Sky+box, ie one press of a button ?
    Yes, very similar. You enable timeshift in the menu once and after that you can press rewind, pause or play to enact the required feature with one button press
    Forgive all the questions, but it seems like a fantastic piece of kit for the price, I'm just wondering how close it is to a Sky+ box using the external hard drive or usb.

To be fair Sky+ is a great piece of kit and it has dual inputs for watch one record another. Series link is integrated from the EPG broadcast by Sky which is specifically aimed at the Sky+ box. So a combo box will not be its equal but considering you have no subscription most people who go this route are very happy with the feature set it offers even if it is not a like for like replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

To be fair Sky+ is a great piece of kit and it has dual inputs for watch one record another. Series link is integrated from the EPG broadcast by Sky which is specifically aimed at the Sky+ box. So a combo box will not be its equal but considering you have no subscription most people who go this route are very happy with the feature set it offers even if it is not a like for like replacement.

It is likely/possible that a future firmware update would include a freesat epg ?

• Advertisement

It is likely/possible that a future firmware update would include a freesat epg ?

Anything is possible but its unlikely as it would have to be done either without consent and in unofficial firmware which would be copyright infringement or else with the cooperation of freesat which is very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Anything is possible but its unlikely as it would have to be done either without consent and in unofficial firmware which would be copyright infringement or else with the cooperation of freesat which is very inlikely.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It might not have the bells and whistles of a Sky+ box, but for that price and no subscription, it is excellent value for what it does.
    Is there any box out there, that has a seven day epg for satellite and Mpeg4 Irish Dtt tuner in it aswell ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed reply. It might not have the bells and whistles of a Sky+ box, but for that price and no subscription, it is excellent value for what it does.
    Is there any box out there, that has a seven day epg for satellite and Mpeg4 Irish Dtt tuner in it aswell ?

Not really or at least not in an official clean seamless manner.

There are some more expensive units that have alternative ways around this like downloading EPG via internet from XMLTV or some that access the freesat EPG unofficially as described before (Dreambox, AZBox etc).

Most freesat enabled TVs have can receive both EPGs but its not integrated in a single guide so thats not ideal.

The only official/legal seamless way I have seen to do this is via Windows Media Center on a home theatre PC which after a bit of setup effort actually works very well. But again this can be pricey..

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Will this box record and play-back subtitles?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Does it display the new type digital teletext on DTV?

No, you watch what you are recordingNo series linkYes, very similar.

I'm suprised at this. I assumed it was only the Linux receivers which had this issue of not being able to record on one tuner and watch on the other.

What about the other combo boxes on the market (e.g ClarkeTech, Mvision etc) - have they the same problem?
    Anything is possible but its unlikely as it would have to be done either without consent and in unofficial firmware which would be copyright infringement or else with the cooperation of freesat which is very unlikely.

Fortec have had a Freesat EPG enabled firmware for the Passion receivers with months and Freesat have taken no action. I doubt you can copyright Huffman tables anyway. As long as the manufacturers doesn't use the Freesat logo, they should be fine.

Apogee wrote: »
    I'm suprised at this. I assumed it was only the Linux receivers which had this issue of not being able to record on one tuner and watch on the other.

What about the other combo boxes on the market (e.g ClarkeTech, Mvision etc) - have they the same problem?

Fortec have had a Freesat EPG enabled firmware for the Passion receivers with months and Freesat have taken no action. I doubt you can copyright Huffman tables anyway. As long as the manufacturers doesn't use the Freesat logo, they should be fine.

Combo boxes only have one cpu for both dvb-s and dvb-t tuners. You can watch a channel on the same transponder that you are recording.

Fortec have done nothing wrong. As far as i know they are in the process of launching a rival freesat/Pay satellite platform under the name of real digital.

Is it a CPU issue? The dreamboxes (7025 and 8000) both have a single CPU afaik. And there isn't a huge amount of processing involved in taking the demodulated stream from the tuner and writing it to disc.

Does it display the new type digital teletext on DTV?

No not MHEG5

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »

Its the content that is copyrighted not access to the stream of data. You need permission to use it. But if noone challenges it then maybe all combos will start doing it.

Advertisement