Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially cheap DTT/SAT HD Combo €129

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elvis23

Just have 1 other Q. Can someone confirm for me the HD video res output on the edison argus mini IP. I know it doesnt go to 1080p, how about 1080i.
    Is this easily configurable/selectable in the gui.

thank ye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

elvis23 wrote: »
    Just have 1 other Q. Can someone confirm for me the HD video res output on the edison argus mini IP. I know it doesnt go to 1080p, how about 1080i.
    Is this easily configurable/selectable in the gui.

thank ye

Yes 1080i for HD channels cofigurable in menu

elvis23 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Anyone do any follow up testing on the above. The box sounds great value, now with ethernet port on board also. But playback of my exisiting .avi files is a must before I buy, this would be the only reason I'd go with the Mvison HD 300N over this box.
    cheers.

Not sure, will test it out and get back

thanks a lot Slegs

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sam_boooko

This is kinda annoying, I'm looking for a HD combo box which can play AVI files and has ethernet port. whats the chances of a patch to allow AVI files to be played on this box??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

sam_boooko wrote: »
    This is kinda annoying, I'm looking for a HD combo box which can play AVI files and has ethernet port. whats the chances of a patch to allow AVI files to be played on this box??

The MVISION HD300 COMBO NET does this by the way.

Yeah, I've been trying to find out about this on other sites but no joy.
    Even if you could convert avi/ts to argus mini playable format would be nice.

seems mvision hd300n has this one on the mini alright

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I received one by courier from Saor TV yesterday, and was able to play around with the satellite part of it last night.
    Great picture and sound for a small box it even has the channel name in LED on the front panel.
    Will try and set up the aeries cable this evening to check the terrestial's like RTE News now etc.

Have to add that the service received from Saor TV was first class. Initally there was a delay due to suppier issues, which was not the fault of Saor TV, but I was kept informed by email at regular intervals.

Great service and the tuner was all set up with the correct region BBC's etc, with RTE 1 on channel 1 etc etc.

I would recommend this receiver.

I have no association with Saor TV, and wish to give credit regarding customer satisfaction when its due.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

PacMan wrote: »

I have no association with Saor TV, and wish to give credit regarding customer satisfaction when its due.

Fair play

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

And to continue...
    I have also purchased from Tony's shop, and again top notch service !!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CircusIntro

And to continue...
    I have also purchased from Tony's shop, and again top notch service !!:pac:
    I received one by courier from Saor TV yesterday, and was able to play around with the satellite part of it last night.
    Great picture and sound for a small box it even has the channel name in LED on the front panel.
    Will try and set up the aeries cable this evening to check the terrestial's like RTE News now etc.

Have to add that the service received from Saor TV was first class. Initally there was a delay due to suppier issues, which was not the fault of Saor TV, but I was kept informed by email at regular intervals.

Great service and the tuner was all set up with the correct region BBC's etc, with RTE 1 on channel 1 etc etc.

I would recommend this receiver.

Can a mod please address my concern ,

Some weeks ago in this very thread a post detailed a very negative experience someone had with a company referred to in the quoted posts.

This post was deleted so as to protect the company !

My concern is why is a positive post allowed to stay and a negative post deleted .

This is simply unfair and is censorship in my opinion ,

Mods May I have your comments please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Oh give over , it was you.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bublehead

CircusIntro, declans, deckocelt or whatever you want to call yourself these days, give it up already ! There is a big difference between a person coming on here and complementing a supplier, while discussing the relevant box this thread is about and a person who comes on here and just rants about a supplier.

On a separate note, I eventually got to set this box up tonight after having it for weeks. I didn’t expect to have to rewire half the house it was going into before I could use it :). Initial impressions are it is an excellent box. Haven’t had much time to test it though and only over scart. Scan of Astra 28.2 seemed to pick up ITV HD (with sound) straight off. No problems picking up terrestrial either (although didn’t find 3, presume not broadcasting at moment due to lack of payment). Picture seems good (even over scart) and hoping doesn’t have same issues with jumping picture HD200 / 300 has. Will have to play with it some more, especially to check out Ethernet side of box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bublehead wrote: »
    CircusIntro, declans, deckocelt or whatever you want to call yourself these days, give it up already ! There is a big difference between a person coming on here and complementing a supplier, while discussing the relevant box this thread is about and a person who comes on here and just rants about a supplier.

Exactly, someone who signs up to rant is always suspect, they could work for Dixons FFS :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The Rules...
    The moderators decisions are final...DON'T start any thread, the purpose of which is to question a moderator decision. A moderator decision will not usually be taken without reason, and such reason will usually be posted. Any futher corspondance will be via the Boards.ie Private Messaging facility. Any member repeatedly refusing to comply with this section will be issued with a ban from the ICDG forums, at this discretion of the moderator concerned.

If people aren't willing to comply with the Rules, bans WILL be issued...

I did not realise that a compliment would start a war of word's !

I have been a member of these boards and the previous ICDG web site for several year's.
    It is very common for us to have constructive opinions of products, services and TV companies.
    I read about the product I purchased here.
    I read about peoples likes and dislikes about the product.
    But in the end it was Me, Myself and I which made the decision to buy.
    When I receive great service, I do compliment.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

i got one of the Edision combo 2 in 1 from Tony recently and was expecting to spend a few hours setting it up. it came ready to go out of the box. Thanks Tony !. The digital picture on the terrestrial channels is fantastic. i am in a very poor reception area and the analogue reception i had for RTE left a lot to be desired, varying from fair to unwatchable, so i am delighted with the wonderful picture i now have even in the extremely bad weather we had recently. Satellite channels are spot on too.Very easy to use. no delay in changing from terrestrial to sat . great box for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

Some great info in this thread.... especially from slegs.

Got mine yesterday can't say enough good things about it. Slegs what do you reckon the chances are that someone will release firmware for this that can get a full EPG from the internet?

rez wrote: »
    Some great info in this thread.... especially from slegs.

Got mine yesterday can't say enough good things about it. Slegs what do you reckon the chances are that someone will release firmware for this that can get a full EPG from the internet?

I guess it may be possible but at the same time unlikely. Not sure how open the code is for others to do their own versions to this level of customisation. The unofficial firmwares out there are not developed by Edision and can use the internet features so there may be a chink of light. I will do some probing with my contacts :)

There is a new official firmware due before end May for watch DTT record from SAT same time and vice versa.

Thanks for the info slegs.... I initially presumed (don't know why - work in IT) that the box would be linux-based, but thinking about it I can see how that would put the price point up.

Wondering how "unofficial" firmwares were achieved for the box given that the architecture is not open like linux. I guess you're right though, if it's a closed platform designed by Edison / the OEM for TV reception only then adapting it to do anything else is likely to be very difficult.

Thanks for the info ;)

• Advertisement

Actually found one thing that doesn't work well...

I need to set the TV aspect-ratio setting to 16:9 (rather than 'auto') so it will pillarbox 4:3 content (i.e. black bars as each side). On 'auto' it ouputs a 4:3 source full-screen (I'm running at 1080i), resulting in the picture being stretched horizontally when displayed by my 16:9 Sony TV. The TV does not have a way to overcome this (it assumes 4:3 content will be pillarboxed).

So the 16:9 setting on the Edison would seem to be the one to use. My problem is that for some reason the box thinks the 16:9 DTT channels are actually 4:3. So if I put the unit on 16:9 rather than 'auto' it squashes the widescreen DTT image and shows it pillarboxed with black bars on each side. If I select 'auto' the DTT channels fill my screen, but as described above 4:3 satellite images get stretched across the widescreen TV.

Anyone know a way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

AFAIK, this is a problem with the DTT transmissions not being marked as 16:9. It'll happen with any box. It's been mentioned in some of the other threads (or earlier in this one??).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neb

Sorry for taking this discussion a little off in a tangent but this is a fairly active thread...

I have RTE digital (UHF Aerial in Attic) and a cheap and cheerful Aldi receiver (Dish On Chimney) working in harmony. I only have one cable routed in wall cavity but use a combiner/spltter to allow for both signals.

After reading many posts and reviews I'm thinking of getting a Humax PVR HD receiver - also my friend has one and it seems to work a treat.

Three questions :

Can I watch RTE digital while recording Sat with just 1 Sat cable - I assume so ?
    Does anyone know if there is a way of putting 2* MPEG2 SAT signals on same co-ax - I assume not ?
    What is best way to record RTE Digital off TV ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Neb wrote: »

Can I watch RTE digital while recording Sat with just 1 Sat cable - I assume so ?
    Does anyone know if there is a way of putting 2* MPEG2 SAT signals on same co-ax - I assume not ?
    What is best way to record RTE Digital off TV ?

1: Yes
    2: Use a stacker/destacker but a new cable would be better.
    3: Use a seperate recorder. Not the best solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neb

Cheers Sam. Havn't heard about stackers/destackers - I suppose the signal integrity will start to drop when you have stackers / combiners on one end and dsplitters/ destackers on the other..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is there a Media PC, that combines Freesat/DTT/Analog into one box? As a reciever and recording etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

BostonB wrote: »
    Is there a Media PC, that combines Freesat/DTT/Analog into one box? As a reciever and recording etc.

Maybe, but not the Humax. The Humax only records from the Freesat/FTA Sat, not terrestrial. A seperate method must be used. FTA Sat does not have 7 day EPG.

BostonB wrote: »

Any Windows Media Centre PC with the correct tuner cards. There are other threads on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm just thinking out loud. You can buy a set top box that does all three you'd have to build a media box.

• Advertisement

AFAIK, this is a problem with the DTT transmissions not being marked as 16:9. It'll happen with any box. It's been mentioned in some of the other threads (or earlier in this one??).

Had wondered was that the cause alright... thanks for letting us know.

Advertisement