Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially cheap DTT/SAT HD Combo €129

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

Just to say I have tried pause on mine now and it works perfectly. I had to set timeshift under PVR and the record bit. You have to have ext hdd connected as well.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

gooner99 wrote: »
    Apogee - I notice your link is to version v1.3.42 , do you have experience with this software on the NON IP version?

I bought one of these boxes at xmas for someone and just installed whatever firmware was present on the Edision page at that time.

Edision have separate pages for the 2-in-1:
    http://www.argus-family.de/produktreceiverargusmini2in1.html

and for the 2-in-1 IP:
    http://www.argus-family.de/produktreceiverargusmini2in1ip.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sorry folks - what does IP mean? And what is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

IP presumably is internet protocol as the 2-in-1 IP has an ethernet port. The IP also has more flexibility in terms of what you can watch/record.
    SaorTV wrote:
    On the Edision Argus Mini 2 in 1 IP

You can

1. Watch a terrestrial channel and record a satellite channel
    2. Watch one terrestrial channel and record another terrestrial channel on same MUX (all Irish FTA channels are on the same MUX).
    3. Watch one satellite channel and record another satellite channel on the same transponder e.g. E4 UK and More4 UK
    4. You can live pause or rewind the channel you are watching while the other channel continues to record
    5. You can watch a previous recording while another recording is ongoing.

You cant

1. Watch a satellite channel from one transponder and record another satellite channel from a different transponder

On the Edision Argus Mini 2 in 1

You can

1. Watch one terrestrial channel and record another terrestrial channel on same MUX (all Irish FTA channels are on the same MUX).
    2. Watch one satellite channel and record another satellite channel on the same transponder e.g. E4 UK and More4 UK
    3. You can live pause or rewind the channel you are watching while the other channel continues to record
    4. You can watch a previous recording while another recording is ongoing.

You cant

1. Watch a terrestrial channel and record a satellite channel
    2. Watch a satellite channel from one transponder and record another satellite channel from a different transponder

http://www.saortv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=383

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    Just to say I have tried pause on mine now and it works perfectly. I had to set timeshift under PVR and the record bit. You have to have ext hdd connected as well.

gb--

Good man, thats what the problem seems to have been.will test it some more now.cheers!

• Advertisement

Apogee wrote: »
    I bought one of these boxes at xmas for someone and just installed whatever firmware was present on the Edision page at that time.

Edision have separate pages for the 2-in-1:
    http://www.argus-family.de/produktreceiverargusmini2in1.html

and for the 2-in-1 IP:
    http://www.argus-family.de/produktreceiverargusmini2in1ip.html

Thanks for that. Will test it for a day or two to ensure there are no problems with the box (maybe from transit) and will update it to the latest then.I'm not really bothered about losing the channel list,as I've not really spend any time sorting it so far.but will run a backup anyway on the off chance the update goes wrong.

So far I have noticed 2 unexpected reboots,I think I read others had this problem with older software, so maybe it was sorted with newer software?

Quick update.

Loaded the latest software from the Edision website this evening and all seems to be worrking perfectly so far.

So far I am delighted with this box. Very good value for money and the pictures are very good, both HD and SD.

Sure it doesn't have mheg 5 and there are PVR limitations, but for the price it's hard to argue. I'm sure at some stage mheg 5 will become important, but who knows how long it will take.By that stage there should hopefully be a good selection of certified TV's with both tuners and better more advanced and stable combo boxes.

Anyway thanks to all that have helped me firstly on my choice and secondly with the setup and update.

Gooner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

okolo is spamming his Irish eBay store on three separate threads.

Back on topic, does anyone know of an Irish supplier selling the IP version of the 2in1?

OFDM wrote: »
    okolo is spamming his Irish eBay store on three separate threads.

Back on topic, does anyone know of an Irish supplier selling the IP version of the 2in1?

Not sure if it's ok to post links here. But there are at least 2 Irish online shops selling them as far as I know.Excellent box for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

gooner99 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's ok to post links here. But there are at least 2 Irish online shops selling them as far as I know.Excellent box for the money.

Thanks gooner99. I think I located both sites after a bit of googling- both .ie sites with "tv" in their names!

Now to decide between the 2in1 and the MVision HD300 NET....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

I know that i asked this question in a thread of its own but having still got nowhere.

Has anyone managed to tune in c4hd on the argus mini 2 in 1.

I have tried a transponder scan on 12607 and a blind scan but no joy.

I have been advised to change one of the settings to dvb-s2.

But i cannot see where that setting can be changed??

shovel wrote: »
    I know that i asked this question in a thread of its own but having still got nowhere.

Has anyone managed to tune in c4hd on the argus mini 2 in 1.

I have tried a transponder scan on 12607 and a blind scan but no joy.

I have been advised to change one of the settings to dvb-s2.

But i cannot see where that setting can be changed??

Hi, I'm new to thie receiver, but I got it no problem with the scan for fta with both the original and latest software loaded.I followed this proceedure from tvtrades website...

Press the 'Menu' button
    Scroll over to the 'Satellite Installation' Sub-menu
    Select 'Satellite Search' -> 'Astra 28.2 E'
    Press 'Red Button' single scan

From single Satellite menu
    • scan mode 'free'
    • scroll down to 'Ok to search'
    • Press 'OK' button
    The box checks for free channels on transponders - takes 5 minutes
    COMPLETE - all the free channels will appear on your channel list

Video also on this link... http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-argus-mini-combo-receiver-user-manual.html

Thanks gooner99

I have done this before and have all fta channels EXCEPT channel 4 hd.

have you got channel 4 hd after your scan?

Thanks

Shovel

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

I have added C4HD to the Argus 2in1 mini. It was just after the launch, so I am rusty on the procedure, but it is there and the box can do S2. Have you the most up-to-date firmware?

Yes I can confirm that I got CH4 HD (actually there are 2 copies of it).

I deleted all the preloaded german stations and scanned with the original firmware that was on the box v1.0.83 dated 2009 and it came up on the scan.

Then I upgraded to the latest from the edision website v1.3.42 and did not bother to load in the channels from my backup of the original firmware, as I had not cleaned or sorted them anyway. As before I deleted the preloaded german (astra 19.2) stations and did a scan and it came up again.again there were 2 copies.

So from that I would say that it didn't seem to matter which software version was loaded, as the original one was quite old. Having said that maybe there was a later firmware that screwed something up, but I can confirm that the latest firmware is working very well for me since saturday, no problems so far.

I had to do a bootloader update to the latest version, I guess this was because I was jumping so many versions in one go.

Maybe the more experienced users would know if there are any additional settings that you need to look at on your current configeration.

Be aware that when you upgrade the bootloader, the old saved channels list cannot be re-imported - you have to start scanning and making a favourites list from scratch.

tlaavtech wrote: »
    Be aware that when you upgrade the bootloader, the old saved channels list cannot be re-imported - you have to start scanning and making a favourites list from scratch.

Didn't know that. Just as well I only scanned and not sorted my favorites before upgrading. That reminds me that I better make a new backup now that I have it all set up the way I want it. Thanks.

Thanks lads for all the info.

Will try again and if no luck will then try to upgrade the software.

Any chance of a link to the latest software and bootloader

Thanks

Thanks lads for all the info.

Will try again and if no luck will then try to upgrade the software.

Any chance of a link to the latest software and bootloader

Thanks

2-in-1 http://www.argus-family.de/produktre...smini2in1.html

2-in-1 IP http://www.argus-family.de/produktre...ini2in1ip.html

Probably a good idea to backup your current firmware first to usb key through the Backup to USB option

Download ths .abs file from the link above

Copy the .abs file to a usb key

Go to Upgrade by USB on the Menu

Choose the file from the usb

Choose Upgrade SW + Bootloader

Start the upgrade and the box will reboot when complete

TVTrade also have videos of the procedures on their FAQ section

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply

and for all your help

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply

and for all your help

no problem,let us know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

This brilliant utility will work for the Edision Argus Mini. Its the Clarke Tech channel list editor except that it allows you download the satellite Channel list using the King of Sat satelitte list from the web. So no scanning required (you pick the sat list you want and download it).

As it is for the Clarke Tech by default you then have to export it to the Edision format (or whatever box you have) - its all in the menu options. Simple to use and quick.

I found it particularly helpful as my scans where not picking up certain stations and the scan was failing on a transponder. The preloaded King of Sat list works a treat and is editable.

You then load it to your box on a usb stick.

157591.jpg

Instructions

File, Import, Choose Web,

Choose Satellite

Then whether you want TV or Radio or All.

Thats it. Then Export it to your satellite box type using Export.

You can either edit it and set up your own category list from it or edit the predefined categories. You can also obviously edit it on your box as well.

Nice find! Thanks for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

New firmware available for the Argus 2in1 IP dated 14th July (bootloader and SW both upgraded). The only thing i've noticed is that the upgrade seems to have fixed a problem with the EPG/info on DTT where the programme description was showing as blank.

Still no simultaneous record/view of DTT/Sat, doubt this will ever be added to this box.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

Got a Sony SVR-HDT 500 PVR this week.It has a twin terrestrial tuner and a 500Gb hard drive.The 7 day EPG works well and there is a manual timer setting which allows settings for station,date,time and duration of recording. It does not allow for weekly or daily setting so all recordings more than 7 days ahead have to have specific dates . The EPG does not have series link on the Irish stations only single recordings options come up. It had a good reception of all the local stations stored in the 800 + menu location. I could find no way of putting them in my own preferred sequence or number storage. It seem to run without excessive fan or drive noise.It is on sale in Sony centers for a rrp of 339 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I am nearly sure you still dont get the extended EPG data on the Edisions but I could be wrong.

I know nothing of the Xoros.

The Ferguson 120 Combo. About €85 new from http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Ferguson_Ariva_HD_120_Combo_Combi_Receiver-pid171.html

They have a walk in shop in kimmage as well as online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

If you're going for xoro you may aswell get the antonio banderas combo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Declan Corry

Has anyone go a channel list back up on a usb stick i could hav for the edision argos mini 2 in 1, i tried searchin all the channels but some important ones are missin lik channel 5 and the plus 1

• Advertisement
Advertisement