Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Nations General Banter Thread. *Read Mod Warning. Post no.5*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Indo is a rag tbh, but must be galling to be singled out in what reads like a Myers quota article.

Good letter from an admirably outspoken player imo, pity it'll just be more attention for Myers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Goose81 wrote: »
    Kevin Myers is an idiot but on this occasion he spoke the truth.
    O'Gara should never have replied,Myers wil now dine for years on that letter.

spoke the truth about what? that we went over there to lose ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Can't for the life of me understand why ROG replied. Nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

prob because of all the crap about him re gambling , marraige , all the crap the equipe wrote about him before world cup , you can only take so much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

danthefan wrote: »

Because he can take it from people who know the game, care about it, and so on, but copping flak from a guy like Myers just sticks in his craw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

What Myers said about ROG was unfair and hurtful, and I can see why he responded, but all that guff about a Kidney and Ireland having a culture of losing was particularly bull****.
    One of the only positives about Ireland's performance was their attitude and their refusal to stop trying to play positive rugby even when the scoreboard said the game was beyond winning. The last thing that could be said of Ireland that day was that they were playing to lose.
    Myers is typical of a pseudo-intellectual hack trying to achieve some "in-depth cultural analysis" of which he is just incapable. The only difference is that in this article he applied his arbitrary, rambling nonsense to the subject of rugby, rather than sticking to his usual targets of woman, the poor, single mothers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Murphy scores for Tigers against Cherry and Whites on his first start back from injury. Good sign would like to see him against England he'd be a great attacking treat against the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

Myres' article was rubbish and ROG was well within his rights to reply though I think the IRFU should also have made a reply or taken it up with the editor.

phog wrote: »
    Myres' article was rubbish and ROG was well within his rights to reply though I think the IRFU should also have made a reply or taken it up with the editor.

That would be absolutely ridiculous. Myers writes an opinion/comment piece, he can say what he likes and is under no responsibility to be 'balanced'. As long as he hasn't committed libel the IRFU shouldn't be making any sort of comment or complaint. Of course ROG was well within his rights to reply but it only brings more attention on Myers, and in my opinion, makes ROG looks fairly petulant.

That would be absolutely ridiculous. Myers writes an opinion/comment piece, he can say what he likes and is under no responsibility to be 'balanced'. As long as he hasn't committed libel the IRFU shouldn't be making any sort of comment or complaint. Of course ROG was well within his rights to reply but it only brings more attention on Myers, and in my opinion, makes ROG looks fairly petulant.

So you think a journalist can write what he likes about rugby as long as it doesn't libel anyone and the IRFU shouldnt respond. Crazy, of course they should defend their coach and players from this sort of rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Any chance of Geordan Murphy being selected in the 22 for England game next week?
    He played his first full game today against Gloucester and scored a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

ongarite wrote: »
    Any chance of Geordan Murphy being selected in the 22 for England game next week?
    He played his first full game today against Gloucester and scored a try.

I think there is a real possibility of it. He's been in contact training since start of jan and could have played sooner but Tigers didn't want to take any risks. I for one would be happy to see him back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

i like kevin myers and i thought rog had a shocker in paris but rugby is clearly beyond myers remit.silly article and sillier to reply.

So you think a journalist can write what he likes about rugby as long as it doesn't libel anyone and the IRFU shouldnt respond. Crazy, of course they should defend their coach and players from this sort of rubbish.

No I definitely do not thing the IRFU should be getting in spats with journalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I certainly would not be calling kevin myers a journalist more of some one who revels in Controversial material and living off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,085 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You serious? dan, with all due respect, your opinion comes across as a loser and a door mat.
    How dare Myers think he can spout of the vile sh!t with no response. Ronan was dead on, and I will
    be emailing Myers too to let him know that his article was a disgrace.

Myers, a man who wouldn't put his little finger where Ronan would put his head, has the gall to try and castigate one of our greatest ever rugby players. Myers hasn't the first ****ing clue about the game. He must have seen a couple of clips from a ****ing ten year career where Ronana may have
    slipped up.

O'Gara, a man who has been ten years at the top and who has survived so very well. Jeez, it's easy to pick out moments where a player may appear to
    have "failed," but every player makes mistakes.

It's very easy for armchair fans to sit back and criticise Ronan for replying. Ronan is
    one of our finest sports stars ever, a fantastic career and a great inspiration. He has won
    us so so many matches, crucial matches too, and for some upstart like Myers, who hasn't a clue
    about the sport, to spout of to the nation and castigate this great player, is damn
    disgrace, and fair play to Ronan for showing him up. It's Rona who was being attacked, not me, you
    or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,085 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The article is pure shi!. His mentioning of Cian's idiocy says it all. If anything, that sin bin was way too harsh. He got it right with Flannery, but c'mon, any fool could see that.

Ronan is one of the key key reasons we have bloody won so many matches.
    If he wasn't up to it, he wouldn't be ten years at the top, you ****ing twat, Myers. He picks out ONE area where Ronana isn't exceptional, he still is damn tough and durable, and off Myers goes on his tirade. Twat. Comparing his tackiling as that of Kate Moss? What an idiot.

Everyon knows that the opposing team will attack through the fly half/scrum half, its' 15/16 stone men going
    at 11 and 12 stone men, it makes sense. Ronan has stood up to a hell of a lot
    during his career. And still he is playing at the top level, that can't even be said of the great Wilkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

walshb wrote: »
    You serious? dan, with all due respect, your opinion comes across as a loser and a door mat.
    walshb wrote: »
    ..............you ****ing twat, Myers...and off Myers goes on his tirade. Twat. Comparing his tackiling as that of Kate Moss? What an idiot....
    banned for abuse.

Having watched all the Provinces this weekend I was fairly under whelmed by Hurley/Dempsey/Duffy. I didn't see the Tigers game but I hope Murphy played as well as the match reports suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wales' 34-man Six Nations squad:

Backs: Gareth Cooper, Leigh Halfpenny, Tom James, Richard Rees, Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin (all Cardiff Blues) Dan Biggar, Andrew Bishop, Lee Byrne, James Hook, Kristian Phillips, Tom Prydie, Shane Williams (all Ospreys), Jonathan Davies, Stephen Jones (all Scarlets), Dwayne Peel (Sale Sharks).

Forwards: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Bradley Davies, Gethin Jenkins, Deiniol Jones, Sam Warburton, Gareth Williams, Martyn Williams (all Cardiff Blues), Huw Bennett, Ian Gough, Paul James, Adam Jones, Ryan Jones, Jonathan Thomas (all Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate (both Newport Gwent Dragons), Eifion Lewis-Roberts (Sale Sharks), Rhys Gill (Saracens).

No Mike Phillips in the squad although Dwayne Peel returns.

Side TBA Monday evening.
    Geordan Murphy has been called into the Ireland squad for next weekend's Six Nations clash with England.

The 31-year-old Leicester full-back comes into the panel after Rob Kearney was ruled out of the Twickenham game because of a knee injury.

Murphy has made just three Premiership appearances for the Tigers since dislocating his shoulder in September.

However, he was in superb form in Saturday's 33-11 rout of Gloucester at Welford Road.

Kearney sustained the knee injury in the 33-10 defeat by France and will be out for three to five weeks.

The full-back is also in danger of missing Ireland's home games against Wales and Scotland on 13 and 20 March.

Ireland coach Declan Kidney names his side to face England on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Having watched all the Provinces this weekend I was fairly under whelmed by Hurley/Dempsey/Duffy. I didn't see the Tigers game but I hope Murphy played as well as the match reports suggest.

I agree all three were poor and I had Dempsey in as my wild card as I had Quinnie for the French match but after seeing him last night I'm afraid that's a no no. It looks like it'll be Murphy.

Did Sexton do enough last night to get the No10 jersey? I think while he kicked everything asked of him he created very little and that was supposed to be his strong point, it could be a tight call for Kidney and Myres' article might just have swung the pendalum away from Sexton. No manager likes a gun put to their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I agree all three were poor and I had Dempsey in as my wild card as I had Quinnie for the French match but after seeing him last night I'm afraid that's a no no. It looks like it'll be Murphy.

Did Sexton do enough last night to get the No10 jersey? I think while he kicked everything asked of him he created very little and that was supposed to be his strong point, it could be a tight call for Kidney and Myres' article might just have swung the pendalum away from Sexton. No manager likes a gun put to their head.

I doubt Kidney allows articles to influence his decision making.

Anyway, Sexton is in form and that's enough for me for him to displace ROG, no disrespect to O'Gara. Sexton attacks the line and poses a threat which creates space for his outside backs, plus he's better defensively and while there were once question marks over his kicking he's sorted that out completely. He's a better all round player and I hope he starts against England.

His distribution was good, defended well and made a couple of half breaks. I'd definetely have him starting to be honest. After watching Deasy on friday night I was thinking if Sexton had been playing for Munster with that kind of service from Stringer and continuous forward momentum from the pack he would have scored near on 30 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Sexton will start i think. He should start too. I actually have an inkling that Tomas O'Leary will get a chance at redemption. Personally, I would drop him (although i feel he remains our best SH option when in form) but I just sense Kidney won't. Just a baseless inkling though!

On the Myers thing, I don't see what the fuss is about. There are hundreds of thousands of ill-informed, fair-weather rugby fans in Ireland spouting crap about the national team. This one just happens to have a platform. The Indo is a tabloid in broadsheet form. Myers is a gutter-snipe journalist with a posh accent. He is to be either ignored or laughed at. I'm laughing at that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Dwayne peel recalled to the Welsh team after putting in 80m for Sale this weekend...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8521048.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

the French XV for Wales :

Poitrenaud - Fall, Bastareaud, Jauzion, Palisson - Trinh-Duc (o), Parra (m) - Bonnaire, Harinordoquy, Dusautoir - Papé, Nallet - Domingo, Servat, Mas.

bench : Poux, Szarzewski, Pierre, Lapandry, Michalak, Marty, Malzieu, Baïocco.

Clerc is out due to injury. A lot of injuries for France who have 11 starters against South Africa out recovering.

Should be easy enough for France. I cant see Wales winning this one with their form and injury list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Should be easy enough for France. I cant see Wales winning this one with their form and injury list

I don't care, the match is in Wales, French teams still don't travel well and the 6 Nations is there for them France) to lose - I will have a punt on Wales for sure. However, given my recent track record I wouldn't advise anybody else to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

The welsh are even more impredictable than the french so i really don't know what will turn up on Friday. If they launch S Williams in between the french centers ( heavy players ) or after a kick over that can be lethal...

• Advertisement

BoarHunter wrote: »
    the French XV for Wales :

Poitrenaud - Fall, Bastareaud, Jauzion, Palisson - Trinh-Duc (o), Parra (m) - Bonnaire, Harinordoquy, Dusautoir - Papé, Nallet - Domingo, Servat, Mas.

bench : Poux, Szarzewski, Pierre, Lapandry, Michalak, Marty, Malzieu, Baïocco.

Clerc is out due to injury. A lot of injuries for France who have 11 starters against South Africa out recovering.

11 out an yet you can still name a team that strong :eek:

Lievremont giving out caps for fun the past two years seems to be paying dividends

Advertisement