Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Nations General Banter Thread. *Read Mod Warning. Post no.5*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I don't Lee Byrne's absence will make any difference to the outcome at Twickenham and if anyone is going to be thumped on the day it's Wales. So much depends on whether Jonny Wilkinson starts ahead of Flood or they could both start.

Eh?

That Welsh team could tear anyone apart if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wales coach Warren Gatland will reveal his team to face England at Twickenham during a special Scrum V RBS Six Nations preview programme.

Join Scrum V presenter Gareth Lewis for the announcement on BBC TWO Wales at 1800 GMT on Sunday.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

**** thats early! Hook at fb? Id love to see martin roberts get a go at sh, think hes going to be very good.

For Italy match:

Healy
    Cronin
    Hayes
    POC
    DOC
    Ferris
    Wallace
    Heaslip
    Boss
    Sexton
    Earls
    D'Arcy
    BOD
    Bowe
    Kearney

Best / Flannery
    Court (Horan looked good in the A match though)
    Cullen
    SOB (again played well in A game)
    TOL
    ROG
    Trimble

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Replace Court with Ross, having Court covering TH would be a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd start Best, other than that I can't argue.

Would seriously toy with the idea of starting Ross in some of the games though if it was up to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'd start Rory Best after today's game. Horan didn't do enough to force his way back in, SOB for the bench, Stringer and Buckley for the glue factory.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Id start best and horan, cant see why youd put such an inexperienced front row up against the best scrummagers in the 6n. Hayes scrummaging has disimproved aswell I feel so that lineup could be a disaster.

Id start Boss and O Gara, but think it will be TOL and O Gara.

How could anyone justify starting Horan? If it's not Healy it should be Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'd have Ryan on the bench instead of Cullen, Ross instead of Court and I'd start Best ahead of Cronin.

• Advertisement

SomeFool wrote: »
    I'd have Ryan on the bench instead of Cullen

Why?

I would err on the side of caution with Best, plus I really want to see Cronin start for Ireland.

I would err on the side of caution with Best, plus I really want to see Cronin start for Ireland.

Best has come through a couple of games now, he's said he's had no trouble with his neck, the only issue now is match fitness.

If Best only has 40 min in him though it's much better to see him starting then on the bench. I think Cronin certainly has to be involved though, I can't imagine it would be wise going into the game with Flannery and Best.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If Best only has 40 min in him though it's much better to see him starting then on the bench. I think Cronin certainly has to be involved though, I can't imagine it would be wise going into the game with Flannery and Best.

I think he was withdrawn with a view to next week, don't think it was that he only had 40 mins in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheGod

danthefan wrote: »
    Stringer and Buckley for the glue factory.

Hilarious

Why?

He covers back and second rows, he has a future ahead of him, if it was an away game in Stade de France then yeah I'd go with Cullen but I'd like to see a couple more players integrated over the 6 nations.

My team

1.Healy
    2.Best
    3.Hayes
    4.O'Connell
    5.O'Callaghan
    6.Ferris
    7.Wallace
    8.Heaslip
    9.Boss
    10.Sexton
    11.Trimble
    12.D'arcy
    13.O'Driscoll
    14.Bowe
    15.Kearney

16.Cronin
    17.Court
    18.Cullen
    19.O'Brien
    20.Reddan or O'Leary (I really don't care theyre both woeful right now)
    21.O'Gara
    22.Earls

Originally Posted by danthefan viewpost.gif
    Stringer and Buckley for the glue factory.
    TheGod wrote: »
    Hilarious

Dispespectful, particularly to Stringer who was a stalwart for years, everybodies time comes mate, no need for that comment.

He covers back and second rows, he has a future ahead of him, if it was an away game in Stade de France then yeah I'd go with Cullen but I'd like to see a couple more players integrated over the 6 nations.

He's also not getting any meaningful game time and has in no way progressed as a player despite his great potential. I'd very much like to see him as a viable sub, but he's just not at the moment. It's pretty rare to have to replace two backrowers anyway and I don't think an ability for your lock replacement to cover backrow is all that important.

• Advertisement

Dispespectful, particularly to Stringe who was a stalwart for years, everybodies time comes mate, no need for thet comment.

Firstly I didn't make that comment. Secondly no disrespect to Stringer (who I had stated before this game should be starting ahead of O'Leary at Munster and who I would love at Leinster) I was merely laughing at how the post was worded.

He's also not getting any meaningful game time and has in no way progressed as a player despite his great potential. I'd very much like to see him as a viable sub, but he's just not at the moment. It's pretty rare to have to replace two backrowers anyway and I don't think an ability for your lock replacement to cover backrow is all that important.

Add to that that if either a backrower or second row went down I'd much prefer O'Brien or Cullen to come on than Ryan. Having an extra sub won't make up for the risk of Ryan coming on against France in the 6N.

TheGod wrote: »
    Firstly I didn't make that comment. Secondly no disrespect to Stringer (who I had stated before this game should be starting ahead of O'Leary at Munster and who I would love at Leinster) I was merely laughing at how the post was worded.

I made the comment, I wasn't trying to be offensive, more light-hearted. Sorry if it didn't go down well.

Six Nations preview show on ScrumV, tonight BBC2 Wales 6pm.

Can be found in "other channels" on Sky afaik.

So basically, having watched the 'A' game and seen what the various players with a chance of starting next week came up with, I would go with:

Kearney
    Bowe
    BOD
    D'Arcy
    Trimble
    Sexton
    TOL (though I think Boss is in better form)
    Heaslip
    Wallace
    Ferris
    DOC
    POC
    Hayes
    Best
    Healy

Flannery (Cronin if he's injured), Court, Cullen, O'Brien, Boss, ROG, Earls

Horan didn't do enough, Boss is the form 9 in Ireland imo but seems way off the radar, Buckley and Stringer shouldn't be near the Ireland 22 though I fear both will be picked, SOB did well but so did Henry so either could be the call for the bench, D'Arcy is the form 12 so that leaves no room for Wallace in the 22 imo, Trimble is flying so I'd start him ahead of Earls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Trimble's been very good, though i'm between two minds whether him or earls should get the 11 shirt.

For Italy though, Trimble all the way. See what he can do in green.

I do think he's a bit Monye-esque though. That could be considered complimentary or derogatory, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I feel team to start will be

Healy
    Best
    Hayes
    POC
    DOC
    Ferris
    Wallace
    Heaslip
    O'Leary
    O'Gara
    Earls
    BOD
    Darce
    Bowe
    Kearney

Flannery (only due to injury feel both hookers will get a half each but Flannery will be 1st choice once fit)
    Horan
    Cullen (hopefully not Mick O'D)
    Stringer
    Sexton
    Trimble

Team I would choose is

Healy
    Flannery (if he can play 80 mins)
    Ross (Hayes to old and Ross and Court seem only likely solutions)
    POC
    DOC
    Ferris
    Wallace
    Heaslip
    Boss
    Sexton
    Bowe
    Darce
    Bod
    Horgan
    Kearney

Best
    Court
    Cullen/O'Brien
    Reddan/Oleary both not in great form
    O'Gara
    Earls

I feel kidney should work on his forward for the 6 nations with an eye on WC. Hayes, Wallace and maybe one out of POC and DOC may not make the next world cup through injury retirement etc. we need viable options who can step in! the backs will look after themselves with so much talent coming through he should pick the backs on merit and form!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭spear thrower

Is Isaac Boss really playing that well that a lot of you would start him on Saturday?(havent seen much of him lately)

He was useless a couple of years ago and i was expecting him to drop off the radar but fair play to him for digging deep and pushing for a starting place in a World Class team..

Is Isaac Boss really playing that well that a lot of you would start him on Saturday?(havent seen much of him lately)

He was useless a couple of years ago and i was expecting him to drop off the radar but fair play to him for digging deep and pushing for a starting place in a World Class team..

Yes, he is. He's playing an awful lot better and everyone else is playing quite poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

boss oly had one maybe two bad games for ireland his other performances is the green jersey were very good. This year i have only seen highlights mainly and a two games but boss has performed very well and is better form than bout reddan and oleary and should get the chance to play against italy show kidney what he is about, we can never have too many options i think!

Advertisement