Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Couple of facts:

1) The eagle was spot on with his forecast the other night - mainly rain
    2) The beeb came out poorly out of this, also myself and some others on here
    3) Eventhough very if not extremely cold for next 7 days it looks very dry
    4) A widespread snow event is very unlikely for the forseeable.

If severe frost and ice light your fire, you'll be in heaven - me will just chill and wonder how we always seem to avois the 's' word

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hi all.

Just checking in after a manic day. Had to bring wife for check up today as she is 4 days overdue. took 90 mins to travel 45 min journey because of snow here. They ended up keeping her in tonight and going to induce her first thing in the morn. All is fine with mommy and baby thank God.

Got home this eve and saw that the 4 inch snow was still sitting pretty. just light snow here. Hope you are well. Happy for all the easties who are going to get snow:)

Wolfe

congratulations to you and your wife. i figured it had to be something fairly important that kept you away from the forum today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hi all.

Just checking in after a manic day. Had to bring wife for check up today as she is 4 days overdue. took 90 mins to travel 45 min journey because of snow here. They ended up keeping her in tonight and going to induce her first thing in the morn. All is fine with mommy and baby thank God.

Got home this eve and saw that the 4 inch snow was still sitting pretty. just light snow here. Hope you are well. Happy for all the easties who are going to get snow:)

Wolfe

Best of Luck tomorrow Wolfe.....:D;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

contributing yet again folks.

heavy snow in longford. last nights heavy snow turned to heavy rain after midnight and the roads were slushy the next morning. expecting the same again tonight. currently snowing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Couple of facts:

If severe frost and ice light your fire, you'll be in heaven - me will just chill and wonder how we always seem to avois the 's' word

i hope you wrong about this as well!
    :rolleyes:

we only seem to get snow in this country when it comes from the east and not the south west unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

cocoemma wrote: »
    Best of Luck tomorrow Wolfe.....:D;)

So is all 127 & 45 guests of us ( or whatever is viewing now) having a boy or a girl ??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Currently still wet and windy in Limerick. No sign of snow at all and we are just down the road from the Galwegians.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Just wondering if anyone has any long range forecast for Dublin. I'm heading back from Donegal on Sunday afternoon, to an apartment that has very poor heating... In september we had to put extra blankets on our bed, now it's probably like the artic!!

Also, has anyone known in recent years has snow lay on the southside of Dublin, ie Rathmines/Terenure region?? I can't for the life of me remember when was the last time we had a good snowfall!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

we only seem to get snow in this country when it comes from the east and not the south west unfortunately.

And the north, as many will vouch for last week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Heavy hail in D11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmm 20 minutes to make this the 2nd 1000 post in 24hour thread of the month !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Couple of facts:

I've an idea...why don't we all go off skiing or on an Icelandic adventure for a week of nothing but snow and beer every year so we get our fix of snow and just forget about hoping and wishing for it here?? That has all rhymed unintentionally:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Best of luck WolfIRE.

Dry and windy here. Ground is drying off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

For those around Dublin, this may be of interest:
    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?hourly=1&query=zmw:00000.1.03969&yday=364&weekday=Thursday

They are predicting that the dp will finally fall to 0 and below around the 3am mark.

Danno wrote: »
    Best of luck WolfIRE.

+1 the joy(s) of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Couple of facts:

/QUOTE]

yes he was in fairness. as was su campu, who was right again :mad: :D
    though i suspect he'd prefer to have been wrong;)

i tell you what though if there isn't one decent snow event out of this cold period, i swear i'm going to feel like breaking something:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just took this pic outside, yes my car wipers are in leg it to the warm house mode...

100310.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

irish1967 wrote: »
    Hmmm 20 minutes to make this the 2nd 1000 post in 24hour thread of the month !:D

sounds like a challenge...

get to work people;)

MUSEIST wrote: »

get to work people;)

bump...(still wet and windy on the hills of Portlaw Co Waterford ! Temp 3.1c)

Still lashing down here and still windy.
    meanhile over in baja California, theres been a 5.9 earthquake.
    San fran sea lions have left..

Kind of makes me glad Im on this little island of no volcanos or eathquakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

candy19 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any long range forecast for Dublin. I'm heading back from Donegal on Sunday afternoon, to an apartment that has very poor heating... In september we had to put extra blankets on our bed, now it's probably like the artic!!

Also, has anyone known in recent years has snow lay on the southside of Dublin, ie Rathmines/Terenure region?? I can't for the life of me remember when was the last time we had a good snowfall!!:D

Ther last heavy:) snow in Terenure and Rathmines was February 2009 ( a few months back). The city was blanketed on an off, espcially the suburbs for approx a week. We had up to 15 cm (6 inches) in Castleknock, West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Wind seems to have really picked up here the past hour or more, still ENE in direction and gusting up to 15/20mph.

Air temp however still holding firm as well as the DP, 3.4c and 1.5c respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Rain has stopped.
    Dp at lowest of day 2.1C
    Air Temp up a little 3.8C

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

ffarrell wrote: »
    Ther last heavy:) snow in Terenure and Rathmines was February 2009 ( a few months back). The city was blanketed on an off, espcially the suburbs for approx a week. We had up to 15 cm (6 inches) in Castleknock, West Dublin

I must have been home on holidays then, thats why I missed it!
    For some reason I was always under the apprenhension that snow generally wouldn't lie in the city...more like slushy stuff, not like the snow we had up here last weekend!! Go Grace7!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

MUSEIST wrote: »

get to work people;)

Rain stopped here and wind seems to be easing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

i really thought that we would get some snow here in limerick, all we had all day was rain, and now its really windy and still raining, :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The radar's showing the precipitation band starting to retreat southwards from Ulster in the last 2 hours. No sign of it intensifying as it does, in fact might be dissipating a little... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

valid from 30.12.2009 19:55 CET Until 31.12.2009 06:00 CET

Wind Awareness Level: Yellow

maximum-wind-speed 70-80 km/h

valid from 30.12.2009 10:27 CET Until 31.12.2009 08:59 CET

Rain Awareness Level: Yellow

"Rainfall amounts of 25-35mm are likely to accumulate today and tonight in the south of the province."

^ From Meteoalarm. Rain eh :p it did say 'accumilations' of rain though.....thats sort of similar to snow? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

irish1967 wrote: »

Just to stick my tuppance ha'penny in, this site has improved my speed reading something seriously! i had to leave the computer for a few hours today (life calling) and when i came back i had nearly 30 odd pages to catch up on!! lol

and now i hear we are having a baby!!! this forum just keeps getting better... and charts to forecast boy or girl???:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Still lashing down wet snow here, as can be seen above about 4 cm of pure slush on the ground. Driving conditions on the local roads must be lethal.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement