Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Snowfall & Cold Spell Discussion (Wednesday/Thursday 30/12/09)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'm going to my leaba for the night. I have a funny feeling I won't be waking up to a nice brat bán sneachta but you never know!

Oíche mhaith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

someone mentioned earthquakes earlier.

The UK mainland does get regular quakes but only strong enough to temporarily knock the Strictly Come Dancing On Ice contestants off balance

http://www.quinweather.com/wxquakeUK.php

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    An area from Kerry to East Waterford will see off this miserable (miserable for most) system around midday tomorrow. Higher ground will see it off after seeing some snow but this is unlikely to settle as someone pointed out. Snow will probably fall in Cork City and Waterford as well due to the colder airmass kicking its arse out of the country. Indications are that the precipitation could be reasonably heavy in the retreat southwards overnight so I would not rule out fresh snowfall for areas that have yet to see snow (particularly) south kerry and south of Mallow.

OMG i'm in my element here:)... seriously how much conversation can we get with the weather it's bloody great i should have done a course and worked in this lol so fasinating because it's never definite and anything can shift or move..... thanks for the updates wolfe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Good night y'all.... here's hoping for dazzling white in the morning !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Daily rainfall/snowfall total standing at 18.3mm. Will try to make it 20mm before midnight.
    Just past 30mm, though all rain
    47mm over the 2 days.

When I do daily obs in morning at 9am, today will be wettest Dec day in my records, (2001)

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I became an Uncle last week for first time. Her name is Eve :)

oh no you can't take that name now hummmmm you could use emily or evelyn (prob spelt wrong):) ps congrads hope you got some practice in for your little bundle :)

ok i got distracted with the baby talk :) back to the weather.. still sleet here in kildare and winds seemed to have slackened but i don't think the wind will ease till the morning.. i went out for a smoke and when the wind blew it was v cold but when it eased it seemed.... eeek :eek:WARM... i don't think i'll see snow till i wake up in the morning:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mothman wrote: »
    Just past 30mm, though all rain
    47mm over the 2 days.

When I do daily obs in morning at 9am, today will be wettest Dec day in my records, (2001)

Not a bad total. Got a bit more rain here than was really forecast for the region. It seems that there is no real valuable let up in the wet spell since November and I, and I am sure thousands of others around Galway, am getting a bit tired of this constant dampness.

Bring me an real, proper easterly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Getting close to the 1000 post now! Whoever makes that post will get a free signed picture of Gerry Murphy!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

just another 32 posts to get to the 1000 :)

well its stopped raining here and the wind has died down a bit.
    I can see the glow of the moon above the mountains.

Guys,

Could someone look at the following please and hazard a guess as to whether it has any chance of affecting the west coast. I know its on the wrong side of the prevailing winds but does it have the potnetial to move over the west coast
    10010118_3018.gif

10010118_3018.gif
    By the way, how beautiful is this set up
    h850t850eu.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Getting close to the 1000 post now! Whoever makes that post will get a free signed picture of Gerry Murphy!!!!! :)

no, Jean in the silver getup :) from Christmas day.. Arthur Murphy will have something to say about it ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Best wishes Mr and MRS WolfeIRE.

Hard to believe that about 15 miles from the whiteouted Knock Airport (or Ireland West Airport Knock as they prefer to be called) all there is here is a very strong NE wind and rain/sleet! (More rain than sleet tho!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Temp rising
    Dp dropping
    Now 4.2C, & 1.9C
    No rain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

John mac wrote: »
    no, Gene in the silver getup :)

Its a Gerry Murphy picture, take it or leave it!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it looks like a frontal trough, rather than a polar low, could be coming our way on Saturday. it won't make much dfference to those living in ulster as they'll likely get plastered anyway, but it might lose its energy quickly as it spreads southwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Gerry in a snowsuit? :pac:

night all. I'll see you in a few days. I really hope a lot of you wishing for snow are happy come then. Take care:)

so it looks like a frontal trough, rather than a polar low, could be coming our way on Saturday. it won't make much dfference to those living in ulster as they'll likely get plastered anyway, but it might lose its energy quickly as it spreads southwards.

It was never a polar low, but it is interesting that it is moving down from the Scandinavian Peninsula. My fear is that it will drag in some relatively warmer air over Ireland as it nears the north coast. Best chance for us further south is on the northern edge of the low, which is forecast, unfortunately, to weaken considerably as it moves south.

Still very early days yet though and who knows how all this will pan out in the end.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Snoddy wrote: »
    Gerry in a snowsuit? :pac:

I read that as snow slut first :o

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Good luck to Mr & Mrs WolfeIRE !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

One thing we may have over-looked by the looks of it with our focus on the possibility of snow is the strength of the winds. Im just back from carrying out a make shift operation on the neighbors roof to prevent anymore slates coming off the roof. For me, the wind is turning out to be the main event tonight - no sign of snow.

There are large branches and trees down along back roads around these parts along with some light structural damage.

If your traveling on the roads tonight please be careful!

Milder air well and truly here now, 2.1c and rising. Rain/snow has all but stopped.

check this website out..it's based in newbridge... I can't understand half of it but someone here my be able to make sense of it..

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Emma/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Emma/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

One thing we may have over-looked by the looks of it with our focus on the possibility of snow is the strength of the winds. Im just back from carrying out a make shift operation on the neighbors roof to prevent anymore slates coming off the roof. For me, the wind is turning out to be the main event tonight - no sign of snow.

There are large branches and trees down along back roads around these parts along with some light structural damage.

If your traveling on the roads tonight please be careful!

hummmmmmm would the wind prevent the snow from falling ie if it keeps the air temp. too cold for snow fall?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Cork city still suffering from strong gusts and plenty rain. Eased off for a while an hour or two ago but is back with a vengeance. Truly miserable weather to be stuck out on a balcony for smoking purposes. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Ok, I have never asked this question in all my posts here.
    But, really, what are the hopes if any of snow falling on the east over the next week?

Feel like I've been waiting for it so many times and I'm still here with rain and gale force winds destroying everything while other places in Ireland are waking up to a lovely white blanket of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Ok, I have never asked this question in all my posts here.
    But, really, what are the hopes if any of snow falling on the east over the next week?

Feel like I've been waiting for it so many times and I'm still here with rain and gale force winds destroying everything while other places in Ireland are waking up to a lovely white blanket of snow.

99% chance when the showers kick off tomorrow afternoon... provided that this front has no plans for hanging around for another day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The wind is still intensifying here!:eek:

it's just stopped raining/sleet where i am.. 5 miles from clane... the wind is still gusty the clouds are a navy colour parts a lighter blue colour and:rolleyes: methinks just about to burst with flurries:P..if only the bloody wind would stop then temp could drop and flurries heaven;)! it deffo will snow tonight in kildare ELMO:D:D deffo.. now fyi i'm not basing that on scientific fact it's a gut feeling....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Only 9 posts away from a thousand!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement