Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Neyite wrote: »
    Give them baby pictures of random babies off the internet when they ask you for pictures of them for Facebook. Not like they'd notice if they are really your children or not. Blame sleep deprivation if you get caught. Or texting while breastfeeding. It's tricky forwarding pictures on your phone one-handed...

Hahaha that sounds like a good plan. No doubt the random pictures of the babies off the Internet would still be "the image of his daddy when he was that age" lol.
    Bunch of crazies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Is there actually anything worse then in laws? Mine haven't spoken to me or my little boy in 18 months, during that time came to my wedding (without speaking to me & had faces like slapped arses) but yet claim to all their friends & on social media that they are "sooooooo excited & can't wait" for this baby to arrive.
    PLEASE.
    Give them baby pictures of random babies off the internet when they ask you for pictures of them for Facebook. Not like they'd notice if they are really your children or not. Blame sleep deprivation if you get caught. Or texting while breastfeeding. It's tricky forwarding pictures on your phone one-handed...
    Hahaha that sounds like a good plan. No doubt the random pictures of the babies off the Internet would still be "the image of his daddy when he was that age" lol.

I actually think you should send them pictures off the internet of children who are a completely different colour/ethnicity to both you and your husband. ;)

Merkin wrote: »
    Is there actually anything worse then in laws? Mine haven't spoken to me or my little boy in 18 months, during that time came to my wedding (without speaking to me & had faces like slapped arses) but yet claim to all their friends & on social media that they are "sooooooo excited & can't wait" for this baby to arrive.
    PLEASE.

I actually think you should send them pictures off the internet of children who are a completely different colour/ethnicity to both you and your husband. ;)

Hahaha imagine the scandal of it. But worth it to see the look on MILs face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Something that you may not be up for but we found helpful in our family was creating. Whatsapp group for the kids. So we have one simply called our sons name, then any news about him / pictures, scans etc get put on that. My sister is way more active to the point of slightly annoying with my nephews one but that's partly because her inlaws don't seem to realise that our side don't care about their weekend plans.... Anyway! Everyone gets informed of goings on at the exact sme time which is handy, no one is left out :)

Thanks for the idea Dori, we tried something similar when we were getting married. It got to the point were there was just toooooo many cooks. We were getting so much input on every little thing.

I genuinely am happy for them to be involved. I totally get their excitement but I just don't want to have to share every single detail with them and most certainly do not want to be pulled up because I forgot to mention an appointment or tell them I bought an outfit....

And I just can't handle the twice a week visits, especially straight after work.

Noahboah2014 wow, that is awful! Does your 18 month old even know them?

stickybean wrote: »
    Something that you may not be up for but we found helpful in our family was creating. Whatsapp group for the kids. So we have one simply called our sons name, then any news about him / pictures, scans etc get put on that. My sister is way more active to the point of slightly annoying with my nephews one but that's partly because her inlaws don't seem to realise that our side don't care about their weekend plans.... Anyway! Everyone gets informed of goings on at the exact sme time which is handy, no one is left out :)

Thanks for the idea Dori, we tried something similar when we were getting married. It got to the point were there was just toooooo many cooks. We were getting so much input on every little thing.

I genuinely am happy for them to be involved. I totally get their excitement but I just don't want to have to share every single detail with them and most certainly do not want to be pulled up because I forgot to mention an appointment or tell them I bought an outfit....

And I just can't handle the twice a week visits, especially straight after work.

Noahboah2014 wow, that is awful! Does your 18 month old even know them?
    He's two now, so they were involved at the beginning and then just totally lost the run of themselves to the point that we had to remove ourselves from a relationship with them. So no, he wouldn't no them at all. Occasionally we see one of the younger sisters and she automatically picks him up and starts cuddling him & he usually cries or calls for me & she just doesn't understand & gets very annoyed with him each time.
    It's all such a mess to be honest. Not good for the anxiety levels :(

• Advertisement

He's two now, so they were involved at the beginning and then just totally lost the run of themselves to the point that we had to remove ourselves from a relationship with them. So no, he wouldn't no them at all. Occasionally we see one of the younger sisters and she automatically picks him up and starts cuddling him & he usually cries or calls for me & she just doesn't understand & gets very annoyed with him each time.
    It's all such a mess to be honest. Not good for the anxiety levels :(

Aw, I am sorry to hear that! Sometimes families really suck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just need a quick 2 minute rant, not posting under my usual name just in case. A common moan on this thread, family. But not in-laws for a change, this time it's my own lot :(
    I'm pregnant with first baby, my three sisters have all had their babies, some of whom are in their early teens by now.
    But.......they seem bloody determined to try & tell me every possible horror story & all the negative parts of both pregnancy & childbirth. I'm really upset about this. They just seem to be almost gleeful that now it's 'my turn' to put up with the pain & if I hear 'this'll put a halt to your gallop' one more time.......
    They know I'm an anxious person at the best of times, and I've asked them not to tell me all this stuff but they just keep saying how they are just trying to help so I don't go in to it unprepared.
    I'm on the verge of tears here at work today, just feel they are being horrible bitches and not being one bit supportive, it's like it's all a big joke to them.

Ok.......and breathe.........most of the time I don't let it get to me but it just has today for some reason. I think a bit of space is needed & a chat with my bestie who will tell me it's all going to be ok......

Sorry, and thanks for listening/reading - great to have somewhere to spew up this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

fedupsusan wrote: »
    They just seem to be almost gleeful that now it's 'my turn' to put up with the pain & if I hear 'this'll put a halt to your gallop' one more time.......

That sounds horrible and I'm sorry you have to put up with that. The bit above stuck out for me - it sounds like they might have seen you for years with no children and been a bit jealous of your freedom. Of course, I've no idea of your situation - maybe you've been trying for years and you were jealous of them with their children.

But that's what it sounds like to me. How awful that they see their own children as something so negative, such a burden, such a limit on their own lives. Or if they don't, they're at least determined to portray them as such to you. The best way to deal with them is to be as calm and serene as possible, and try not to be fazed by any nonsense they're coming out with. When they see it's not getting to you, they might cop themselves on and be a bit more supportive.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just need a quick 2 minute rant, not posting under my usual name just in case. A common moan on this thread, family. But not in-laws for a change, this time it's my own lot :(
    I'm pregnant with first baby, my three sisters have all had their babies, some of whom are in their early teens by now.
    But.......they seem bloody determined to try & tell me every possible horror story & all the negative parts of both pregnancy & childbirth. I'm really upset about this. They just seem to be almost gleeful that now it's 'my turn' to put up with the pain & if I hear 'this'll put a halt to your gallop' one more time.......
    They know I'm an anxious person at the best of times, and I've asked them not to tell me all this stuff but they just keep saying how they are just trying to help so I don't go in to it unprepared.
    I'm on the verge of tears here at work today, just feel they are being horrible bitches and not being one bit supportive, it's like it's all a big joke to them.

Ok.......and breathe.........most of the time I don't let it get to me but it just has today for some reason. I think a bit of space is needed & a chat with my bestie who will tell me it's all going to be ok......

Sorry, and thanks for listening/reading - great to have somewhere to spew up this stuff!

One great bit of advice I got, was to think of that one woman you know (who has more than one child) who is a moaner about every little pain and twinge outside of pregnancy. You know, the workmate /bestie/ friend of your mum's who always has a 'migraine' or the 'flu' and is such a martyr about any minor ailment. Focus on her and remember that if that wuss did it, then it really cant be that bad if she's had a second child.

When I was expecting, I went to the OH's Christmas party. One woman who seemed fairly senior, was hell bent on describing her horror births, even though I politely told her I didn't want to hear those kind of stories, and even though two of her colleagues told her to shut up midway through her monologue. She was an arsehole and shut up when I asked if her first time was that bad, why did she go again with her second child? She had no comeback.

It will be fine. My view is that your body is doing something its designed to do. And for anything outside of that, there's drugs and medical interventions to keep you and baby safe.

Maybe send them all a group text and call them out on it (or even get your OH to do it). Tell them to stop being arseholes to you and that they could actually act like proper sisters for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

There's always someone who's not had a great time of it and is intent on poisoning it for everyone else. I would just put it down to that and try to cut them short on their annoying stories when you don't wanna listen to them...

I find that many people can be very negative about the whole birthing and parenting experience. They tell you all the awful stories and about how you'll be wrecked and tired, and no time for anything... etc... Doesn't matter to me whether it's true or not. If others have done it and got on with it before me, then I can do it and get on with it when it's our turn. That's how I see it.

I've joined the GentleBirth group on FB and started listening to their hypno program. I find it quite relaxing and there's a good bit of info on cutting out the "negative nellies" and focusing on the positives. I think it's a great outlook to have.

• Advertisement

I was away on holidays and when I got back someone asked me, "were you away only one week?!" - while pointing to my belly with a concerned look. It's like yes, it's gotten bigger! :mad:

That's my bit of a rant...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have to say I am struggling to feel positive about this pregnancy at times. Having twins is a blessing, but I cant seem to get my head around how I will raise and bond with two babies. Must check out that gentlebirth stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my email. I'm feeling more stubborn today & more inclined to just think flip them & try not to let them get to me.
    ally-pally, definitely my oldest sister has been jealous of my freedom/lifestyle/etc. for years and years (not that I have an amazing life I hasten to add, far from it). She had her eldest when she was only 21 & I guess she feels like I got to do all the things that she didn't. But......we are different people and I always helped her out/babysat when I could.
    I am feeling very very lucky in that I am no spring chicken (maybe they assumed I didnt want/couldn't have children) but we got pregnant very soon after starting to try - I didn't expect it and I certainly knew beforehand not to take anything for granted. So I'm thrilled, but sometimes they put doubts in to my head about being 'too old' to have a baby.
    I'm sure I'm overly emotional (damn hormones!) so maybe I'm not being as thick skinned as I usually am with them, and they may only be joking......guess I'm just not finding the jokes funny.
    Hubby was livid yesterday when I came home from work & ended up in tears over my 'mean family'.......but I dont want him to get involved too much either as his relationship with them wouldn't be fantastic at the best of times (I think he treats me better than any of their partners treat them, and that they kind of resent that).
    For now I think just a little bit of space from them & not let them be pouring poison in my ear would be a good help.
    Thanks again, just felt I had nowhere to turn yesterday only to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

just jumping in here to tell you labour is the best thing you will ever go through it brings you immense pride in yourself and of course it gives you your most precious baby. tell your sisters to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my email. I'm feeling more stubborn today & more inclined to just think flip them & try not to let them get to me.
    ally-pally, definitely my oldest sister has been jealous of my freedom/lifestyle/etc. for years and years (not that I have an amazing life I hasten to add, far from it). She had her eldest when she was only 21 & I guess she feels like I got to do all the things that she didn't. But......we are different people and I always helped her out/babysat when I could.
    I am feeling very very lucky in that I am no spring chicken (maybe they assumed I didnt want/couldn't have children) but we got pregnant very soon after starting to try - I didn't expect it and I certainly knew beforehand not to take anything for granted. So I'm thrilled, but sometimes they put doubts in to my head about being 'too old' to have a baby.
    I'm sure I'm overly emotional (damn hormones!) so maybe I'm not being as thick skinned as I usually am with them, and they may only be joking......guess I'm just not finding the jokes funny.
    Hubby was livid yesterday when I came home from work & ended up in tears over my 'mean family'.......but I dont want him to get involved too much either as his relationship with them wouldn't be fantastic at the best of times (I think he treats me better than any of their partners treat them, and that they kind of resent that).
    For now I think just a little bit of space from them & not let them be pouring poison in my ear would be a good help.
    Thanks again, just felt I had nowhere to turn yesterday only to this thread.

Most people don't like to tell the good stories unfortunately! But believe me there are plenty of them. My SIL's all delighted in telling me about the long labours I'd have and the huge babies because 10lbs are common enough on our side. I've had two very fast inductions and two eight pound babies. Now they are delighting in telling me about how hard 3 so close in age is and how I'll never get lucky enough to have a third good sleeper. It's taken 3 years but I've gotten good at tuning it out or turning their doom and gloom tales around.

Just had yet another conversation trying to justify why we aren't finding out the sex of our baby. I have total respect for people whichever way they choose... we personally have decided together to wait until the birth... I'll be honest, it's 50-50, boy or girl... it really doesn't matter to us, we are just so delighted to be having a baby.

So why so I have my mother in law telling me I should find out, it'll make things easier in the long run. Names, clothes, the room.

My friends are all at me to find out because THEY want to start buying.

People are work with are telling me I can't properly prepare and am making things harder on myself.

I mean does it really matter if the first day we have our baby dressed in white or lemon? Or God forbid a boy in pink or girl in blue?????

I am getting so annoyed trying to explain why we want to have our baby's gender a surprise..........

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Just had yet another conversation trying to justify why we aren't finding out the sex of our baby. I have total respect for people whichever way they choose... we personally have decided together to wait until the birth... I'll be honest, it's 50-50, boy or girl... it really doesn't matter to us, we are just so delighted to be having a baby.

So why so I have my mother in law telling me I should find out, it'll make things easier in the long run. Names, clothes, the room.

People are work with are telling me I can't properly prepare and am making things harder on myself.

I mean does it really matter if the first day we have our baby dressed in white or lemon? Or God forbid a boy in pink or girl in blue?????

I am getting so annoyed trying to explain why we want to have our baby's gender a surprise..........

If I were you I'd just stop explaining! Nobody's business whatsoever. I wouldn't waste me energy justifying your decisions. You need all the energy you can muster while pregnant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I'd just tell them gender is not important.that's what I said when asked.neutrals are very jazzy these days and as soon as you have your baby there will be a pink/blue explosion in my experience!tell them to feck off sticky you've waited too long to be pregnant again to let people annoy your head .get grumpy and use pregnancy hormones as your excuse ☺☺

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Tell them its a transgender baby dinosaur.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh this is where you can have some real fun. :D

Like, think up awfully cringy fake names for them to get worked up about - even better if you have a surname or do a hyphenated name combo that could lend itself to some hilarious phrases. Like Ben Dover, Joe King that sort of thing.

Or tell them that you plan to raise your child as genderless after your lotus birth obviously so nobody but you and your husband will be told the gender. That will drive them mad. Especially if you combine it with a bonkers gender neutral name.

G'wan... mess with their heads and get a bit of revenge :pac:

• Advertisement

Now I get the "when you're pregnant you're suddenly public property" thing.
    I'm only 14 weeks, so still at the stage of telling people and or meeting people who've heard it off others.
    Everything from "have you been sick, how are you feeling"? (perfectly nice and well meaning questions), to enquiring as to how much time I'll take off and how much money I'll be taking in while I'm off. From a woman I'd literally been introduced to. Ehhhh, fup off luv.
    Everyone's obsessed about us finding out what sex it is. I'm gonna have great craic telling them it's a baby dinosaur :D

Got constant belly patting from my brother and BIL. Don't get their obsession with my belly! :rolleyes: just rolled with it though.

Didn't enjoy getting told by some family what a huge belly it was and another person asking if I really was away on holidays only one week (i.e. I got much much bigger in just 1 week, which I don't think I did). Thankfully on a recent flight had lovely flight attendants and a passenger tell me they thought I was so neat and "tiny", it kinda felt like a relief. I've no problem with my size, and I think the two hugely differing comments just make realise how subjective this belly-sizing thing is...

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Now I get the "when you're pregnant you're suddenly public property" thing.
    I'm only 14 weeks, so still at the stage of telling people and or meeting people who've heard it off others.
    Everything from "have you been sick, how are you feeling"? (perfectly nice and well meaning questions), to enquiring as to how much time I'll take off and how much money I'll be taking in while I'm off. From a woman I'd literally been introduced to. Ehhhh, fup off luv.
    Everyone's obsessed about us finding out what sex it is. I'm gonna have great craic telling them it's a baby dinosaur :D

Gross them out talking about placenta capsules too :D

More invasive questions I was asked:
    Hands on bump? Check
    Horror birth stories? Check
    Remedies for pregnancy ailments I never had nor mentioned? Check
    Asked if it was planned? Check
    Asked if said baby had a father or am I just a slut? Check

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Standing in the middle of the local supermarket last week, I got asked how long we'd been trying :/

Aww lads I'm gonna be all over this thread freaking out on a daily basis once I get from a fat wobbly belly into a proper bump :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Standing in the middle of the local supermarket last week, I got asked how long we'd been trying :/

Lord but I despair of the insensitivity of people when it comes to pregnancy. I usually have people assume that my second and third are 'accidents'.

The other thing I love about pregnancy is people's desire to tell you the WORST possible stories about childbirth/early days of parenthood. I was induced for my first two and am mentally preparing for it again this time but the amount of people who told me it was awful, you want to go 'naturally' etc was unbelievable. I remember one mother telling me this When I was very overdue when I was booked in the following day. Says I, 'I didn't realise you'd been induced'. 'Oh no, I've just heard' says she.

Lucyfur wrote: »

I'd have paid good money to watch you give them your Death Stare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I'd have paid good money to watch you give them your Death Stare :D

I said;

"Twice a night for a while now. I've carpet burns on my knees"

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Hello :)

17 weeks in - so, so SO tired after eating. Like had a not-enormous lunch 2 hours ago and still yawning and slithering down behind my desk now. AND I had to go lie down in an empty office* at around 2.30. Am I not due a huge burst of energy and glowingness around now? I could do with a little more bounce in my step and a little less trudge.

*On my coat in the disabled bathrooms but I will not be admitting that to people in work

• Advertisement

Hello :)

17 weeks in - so, so SO tired after eating. Like had a not-enormous lunch 2 hours ago and still yawning and slithering down behind my desk now. AND I had to go lie down in an empty office* at around 2.30. Am I not due a huge burst of energy and glowingness around now? I could do with a little more bounce in my step and a little less trudge.

*On my coat in the disabled bathrooms but I will not be admitting that to people in work

Oh god this is me!!
    After lunch every day I'm an absolute wreck. I've toyed with not eating to see if it helps :rolleyes:

I've snuck to the car at lunchtime for a nap, and hidden in an empty stockroom too ;)

Advertisement