Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Lucuma wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Is there a link between GD and the size of the baby? They often seem to be mentioned in the same sentence.

There can be, I got a growth scan last week so they could determine the size of baby's tummy .... we are able to break down insulin / blood sugars through exercise etc, but baby cant so it just turns into fat around their belly. But having said that my fella is proportionally big, its not just his tummy so its not so worrying. My last baby was big too - born 5 days early at 9lb6!

I thought I was doing OK last week, most of my blood sugar levels were under or just over the limits, but ever since sunday night I've had trouble keeping them below the limits. Its supposed to be less than 5 pre meals and less than 7 2 hours after meals. I didn't get one reading under 6 yesterday :eek: Think I'm going to have to call them today and see if this is something to worry about or not.

Grrr. Bloody sick of it all now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

73trix wrote: »
    SNAP! Have that exact same prob since last week. 32wks tomo. Also the cramps in my legs have started at night time. Oh god, how uncomfortable!

Anyone else suddenly got legs looking blacked and blue from varicose veins?! My OH asked in passing yest, were my legs bruised til closer inspection. Only noticed them myself in past few days. Are these connected to sore and crampy calves?

Its always harder for blood to flow back up the calves to the heart anyway but throw in pregnancy and the added pressure and its gonna make that worse. Heavy legs, cramps and the like all combine to make it yet another part of the "magical journey":rolleyes::).

I've been good about stretching out the calf muscles so its easing the cramps out a fair bit. If you stretch them out for about 20 seconds on each leg for about 5 minutes before going to bed it will help you through the night. Also when you're sitting down watching tv or reading keep your legs raised as it helps the blood flow and eases the worse of the pressure.

I've been fine on the veins issue thankfully so can't help too much on that one for you I'm afaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Oh god my ribs.. the muscle at the top of my ribs is stretching so much the last few days the only thing that eased it was the lat pulldown in the gym today, i got such a good stretch on it.. I wonder would they mind me going in every couple of hours to do a few reps on it :eek :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I don't think this affects anyone outside the US so no need to worry about Ireland. My moan for today is that I've been eating 2-3 peach/plum/nectarines a day for the past few weeks, loving them and feeling all chuffed with myself for getting lots of fruit! But they've been totally missing from our supermarket this last week (had to get pears, boring) and I found out last night it is because they've all been recalled due to a Listeria contamination at the producers since early June! :eek::eek: Who is listeria dangerous for? pregnant women!! :mad::mad: I'm sure I'm fine, but it is a worry :( I've emailed my Ob to see if they can test me for it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/22/health/costco-fruit-recall/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Small complaint in the grand scheme of things, but finding clothes is a night mare, I'm too big for regular clothes too small for maternity, so I end up dressing in whatevers comfy,no matter how mismatched they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Someone just said to me in work ''I can't believe you have 8 weeks left'' - you might as well say jesus you are feckin' massive........ :( I am slightly over pregnancy, I'd love to hibernate for the month of August!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

pastry2010 wrote: »
    Someone just said to me in work ''I can't believe you have 8 weeks left'' - you might as well say jesus you are feckin' massive........ :( I am slightly over pregnancy, I'd love to hibernate for the month of August!!

I actually have had two people outright say to me that I am massive! And comment on my swollen feet and ankles. My bump has dropped now and I have just less than 5 weeks to go, but I am panicking that baby will come early. Nearly everyone is making bets on it, really not helping :(

Why do people think it is ok to comment like that on pregnant women's size/bump/whatever?! A guy in work the other day made a joke about me waddling around, fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A girl asked me today if I was wearing maternity clothes yet and I said some, but still have a few pairs of trousers/jeans that fit. And she exclaimed "oh my god some of your clothes don't fit you anymore???1??!!!" looked me up and down and then said "I'd HATE that to happen to me if I got pregnant"

This was after my husband having a go at me for being "irresponsible" enough to not drink enough water.

So I've been walking around on the verge of tears all day feeling like a frumpy lump who isn't looking after her baby. I fricken hate people. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Small complaint in the grand scheme of things, but finding clothes is a night mare, I'm too big for regular clothes too small for maternity, so I end up dressing in whatevers comfy,no matter how mismatched they are!

I got some tops in a larger size from penny's and dunnes when I was in that stage and they lasted for a while. It won't be too long then til you're ready for maternity clothes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Whispered wrote: »
    So I've been walking around on the verge of tears all day feeling like a frumpy lump who isn't looking after her baby. I fricken hate people. :mad:

Grr at other people! Doesn't baby take all the nutrients before you do anyway. Not to mention u are carrying the fecking thing day in day out for 9 months. U are hardly starving it what with all the water in the food and drink you have every day!

Eta: I mean by carrying it every day you are obviously thinking about it and caring about it every day so the idea that you're being irresponsible is just ludicrous in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

I've really exploded the last couple of weeks. I'm 36+3 now. I can still wear my own trackie bottoms and the €7 lyric type vests in dunnes are great in the heat. They're quite long so no bump hanging out the bottom & just went a size up.

I'm sick of people staring at my bump like I'm some sort of hippo. Wud love to put a sign around my neck saying "twins - more than 12lb between them so f**k off staring".

Twice I've been asked if I'm doing the labour walk during my 2 and a half wks stuck.in hosp........hate people and men are worse for the staring. Probably thinking thank God my missus bump isn't that big!!

Fair play ladies, listening to all of you and we really are magnificent creatures! So feck everyone, the commenters, the jealously, the ones that don't understand and some OH that clearly just rub us up the wrong way!!
    We'll all get there in the end!! Anyone that comments now I think of something nasty about them in my head and laugh to myself....it helps keep me sane!:) haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yeah the blatant bump staring is really weird and hard to get used to. Only thing is.....gulp....I'm pretty sure I used to do it myself back in the day. Only coz I wanted to be preg so much and was so fascinated by preg bumps!! So I try to let it wash over me now, just put a glazed expression on and pretend that every second person ISN'T staring at me. You wouldn't want to be the self conscious type in the 3rd trimester! ! :-)

Lucuma wrote: »
    Yeah the blatant bump staring is really weird and hard to get used to. Only thing is.....gulp....I'm pretty sure I used to do it myself back in the day. Only coz I wanted to be preg so much and was so fascinated by preg bumps!! So I try to let it wash over me now, just put a glazed expression on and pretend that every second person ISN'T staring at me. You wouldn't want to be the self conscious type in the 3rd trimester! ! :-)

If it ended with the blatant staring you'd get over that. It's the total strangers grabbing your stomach that really bothers me. Oh that and people's lack of any filter as to what is appropriate conversation. I have been asked the following:
    1) aren't you too small?
    2) you really should be worried, the scans might say your baby is a perfect size but I think you look too small.
    3) you must be going to need a c-section, you are, trust me I know because my dog minders, aunties best friends next door neighbour had a bump that looked almost nothing like yours and she needed one, so there!
    4) are your nipples leaking milk yet cause you are a mammal after all?
    5) how is your constipation during the pregnancy?

And other such lovely questions from absolute strangers/ people who work in the same place but are not (and now never ever will be) friends.

31 weeks- heavy lifting part of the pregnancy big time now.
    Thankfully have been very healthy through the whole affair, little weight gain (5kg only) so not dragging too much of myself about but OMG I am so very tried yesterday and today. :eek::eek:
    The baby is going through a very active phase over the last few days too which in some ways is absolutely lovey cause I feel her move about lots and I love that but I just want to go to sleep.....but I'm at work and that would be weird.
    Have to spend the whole day tomorrow with my 14 year old nephew and I have no bloody idea what I'm gonna do with him or how I'm going to find the energy to get through it. :(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A girl asked me today if I was wearing maternity clothes yet and I said some, but still have a few pairs of trousers/jeans that fit. And she exclaimed "oh my god some of your clothes don't fit you anymore???1??!!!" looked me up and down and then said "I'd HATE that to happen to me if I got pregnant"

This was after my husband having a go at me for being "irresponsible" enough to not drink enough water.

Is she pure stupid?? Of course clothes dont fit you when pregnant. Aside from your bump, some wome get bigger boobs, my butt even changed shape (thankfully temporary!) Even rings and watches and shoes dont always fit. Sometimes the only thing that will fit are handbags!!!

I'd have rolled my eyes and snorted at her stupidity, and then given a hormental response.

And as for your husband? A cold front until he learns to be more supportive and encouraging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Penny food and dvds or computer games usually work out best for teenagers if ye are going to be at home . If not cinema and food,basically keep him fed and he'll be happy if he's a typical teenager!
    people are un real aren't they,I'm only 18 weeks already my boobs are huge and a butt has appeared where I used to have none . I'm well aware of it don't need numptys pointing it out to me !

bobskii wrote: »
    Penny food and dvds or computer games usually work out best for teenagers if ye are going to be at home . If not cinema and food,basically keep him fed and he'll be happy if he's a typical teenager!
    people are un real aren't they,I'm only 18 weeks already my boobs are huge and a butt has appeared where I used to have none . I'm well aware of it don't need numptys pointing it out to me !

They are something else entirely. I've been quite surprised at myself for not kicking some people hard in the shin. I might yet do just that.

My nephew is being sent over from England by his mother (this is the second of her teenage children she has dumped on us for ages this summer) and I'm very torn about the visit.
    Its lovely that he still wants to come but I'm quite astounded at his mother- she knows I'm 31 weeks pregnant and is so selfish cause all she cares about is getting a cheap and cheerful holiday for him and time off for her. She doesn't even say thank you for doing stuff like this.
    Its not the child's fault though and he is caught in the middle.

I'll have him from about 11am tomorrow and maybe for the night I'm not sure about that bit yet.
    I was going to go to Kilmainham Goal for the first thing to do, then lunch (there is a nice cafe near by and he likes nice food). After lunch I was thinking of maybe the Science Gallery in TCD (he is into science stuff) and we'd meet up with my husband when he finishes work for a pizza or something.
    I'll be wrecked by then so I think it will be home to watch a movie / nap on the couch for me. I'll take him to my Mam and Dads on Saturday morning then.
    Does that sound ok? I'm not able to do lots of things because of the pregnancy, being tired easily, I have SPD too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think that sounds like a lovely day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Lol you could blame it on crazy pregnancy hormones!!
    Yeh that sounds like a plan . his mam is very good to herself giving herself a break!!thoughts of it are always worse than. but there is nothing worse than trying to entertain teenagers!!but he sounds like he will enjoy what you have planned once he's into that kinda stuff.

I think that sounds like a lovely day!

Thank you:) Right now I'm so wrecked that I'm dreading the thoughts of it but its been ages since I've seen the boy, my annoyance is with his Mam not him so I must remember that. It will probably end up being a really enjoyable day, fingers crossed!

Thank you:) Right now I'm so wrecked that I'm dreading the thoughts of it but its been ages since I've seen the boy, my annoyance is with his Mam not him so I must remember that. It will probably end up being a really enjoyable day, fingers crossed!

Oh I do feel for you, I hate when plans are made for me these days, I just think people forget how you might be feeling, weekends are precious to me as I work all week and the last thing I want to do is feel pressured to go somewhere I can't take off my socks and put my feet up :D

This weekend my mam said so it's the bank holiday so what day are you coming to see me......so I have a Christening Sunday which we can't miss, visit mam Saturday....thank god for Bank Holiday Monday!! (rest day)

Well F**k it to hell... I had the GTT done yesterday and got a call back today to say the results were abnormal... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

cbyrd wrote: »
    Well F**k it to hell... I had the GTT done yesterday and got a call back today to say the results were abnormal... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Same thing happened me, it's a right pain in the hole. Monitoring my blood sugar levels 7 times a day, and I've been trying to eat healthy and it's not making any difference. If my results haven't improved by Tuesday I have to go back in, probably going to be put on insulin :(

I'm 4 stone lighter than my last pregnancy, eat well, gym 2 or 3 times a week..I am properly minding myself! I got a similar result the last pregnancy and was told to go home from the diabetic clinic by the consultant!! the reason: I'm dairy intolerant.. when i was pregnant with my 3rd boy I ate no dairy at all, when i weaned him on to bottles his little system went bananas and we had a shocking time trying to get him sorted. So on my last pregnancy my GP told me to eat a small bit of dairy if I could as my digestive system was working slower it might work. I managed little bits and this is what caused the blood sugars to go mental.. as soon as I came off it again they were fine, I'm hoping the same will apply now..fingers crossed. My Dad was diagnosed with type 2 when he was in his early 50's and his health went to pot after. When he died 3 years ago it really put the wind up me to do something about my lifestyle.. This has been such a blow to me and pregnant hormones are not making rational thinking an option.. I want to run away and hide for the next 15 weeks :( I'm us usually so level headed these thing don't knock me but this has me like a Victorian spinster complete with hand-wringing... my poor OH doesn't know what to do for me...:(

cbyrd wrote: »
    I'm 4 stone lighter than my last pregnancy, eat well, gym 2 or 3 times a week..I am properly minding myself! I got a similar result the last pregnancy and was told to go home from the diabetic clinic by the consultant!! the reason: I'm dairy intolerant.. when i was pregnant with my 3rd boy I ate no dairy at all, when i weaned him on to bottles his little system went bananas and we had a shocking time trying to get him sorted. So on my last pregnancy my GP told me to eat a small bit of dairy if I could as my digestive system was working slower it might work. I managed little bits and this is what caused the blood sugars to go mental.. as soon as I came off it again they were fine, I'm hoping the same will apply now..fingers crossed. My Dad was diagnosed with type 2 when he was in his early 50's and his health went to pot after. When he died 3 years ago it really put the wind up me to do something about my lifestyle.. This has been such a blow to me and pregnant hormones are not making rational thinking an option.. I want to run away and hide for the next 15 weeks :( I'm us usually so level headed these thing don't knock me but this has me like a Victorian spinster complete with hand-wringing... my poor OH doesn't know what to do for me...:(

Hey cybrd, you poor thing that sounds like a lot to be dealing with. there its diabetes on both sides of my family, type 1 and 2, so I know it can be scary to have it hanging over you. I've been expecting to get it and so far I think i've just been lucky. This may not make you feel any better, but a big part of what causes gestational diabetes in the first place is not you. During mid to late pregnancy the placenta produces some hormone (can't remember the name now) that interferes with how your own insulin works so it kind of mimics type 2 and your blood sugars go high cause they insulin can't tell your cells to take the sugar up. Going on a diabetic diet for GD helps out your body so there isn't so much sugar around for it to deal with and it won't go mental tyring to make more and more insulin to get rid of all the sugar that builds up cause there is no where for it to go. The baby can still use your insulin, so you can imagine when there's a load of insulin and a load of sugar floating around he'll just take it all up and get a bit bigger than he should. so please don't go beating yourself up, pet, in all likely hood the cause of the gd is not the mother, its the placenta. It just sucks that we have to deal with it and go watch what we eat like a hawk and exercise more so that the while thing doesn't get a chance to affect you or bubs. Sounds like you are doing lots of good stuff already. I can put up some articles on it when I get on my laptop again, can't do it on my phone.

I can imagine that gd was probably beneficial to the baby at one point in our history, as it would help the baby grow even in times of famine etc. it just doesn't suit our modern lives! best of luck with it all, its rough but like I said it sounds like you are already on the right things anyway with the gym etc so i'm sure you'll do great with the rest of it.
    Ignore Dee no A high FL video b Dee n Dee it kind of mimics

Ignore that last line! my phone went a bit nuts and wouldn't let me delete the random words.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Had a guy put his ear to my bump last night. No joke. There I was sitting down with this man I've only met briefly once putting his head on my tummy. Awkward.

• Advertisement

Isolt wrote: »
    Had a guy put his ear to my bump last night. No joke. There I was sitting down with this man I've only met briefly once putting his head on my tummy. Awkward.

SERIOUSLY!!!

What is wrong with people?

Advertisement