Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My first was 4.5 months because that's what was recommended back then between 4-6 months. Saoirse wouldn't touch an ounce of food until she was nearer to 8 months and Ellen was just after 6 months when she started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Phn nurse said 18/19 weeks to us. We started at about 20/21 which is sooner than I thought I would but she has great neck control, doesn't slump in high chair, was chewing while we were eating, watching every mouthful that we ate and trying grab at our plates and was also taking 40oz of formula a day. We started with tiny amounts though. She took to it very well and seemed to swallow with no trouble. She has silent reflux and is on medication for it as well as taking anti reflux formula. You read a lot about starting solids earlier helping reflux babies but the paediatrician told us to try and get to 20 weeks. A girl I know who has a baby with reflux was told start at 3.5 months. If my inlaws had their way my baby would have been started a lot sooner because of her interest in food.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 1st was around the 4 1/2 months but that was because she used to rob food from us and then scream if she did not get it but had no gluten before 1 , 2nd was 6 1/2 months but had a serious dairy allergy ,3rd was the same but went from small tastes to 3 meals a day and decided to ditch bottles !! He was a starving baby though :)the gluten guidelines also changed to 6 months by then .

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Well babies all wean at different stages as they are all individual, but surely 99% of people agree 8 weeks is simply too early for their little digestive systems? There's a huge difference between 8 weeks and 4-6 months.

Well babies all wean at different stages as they are all individual, but surely 99% of people agree 8 weeks is simply too early for their little digestive systems? There's a huge difference between 8 weeks and 4-6 months.

Oh definitely, and agree about all babies being individuals. Obviously 6 months is the ideal and it was my aim but 8 weeks is way too young!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Roesy wrote: »
    Oh definitely, and agree about all babies being individuals. Obviously 6 months is the ideal and it was my aim but 8 weeks is way too young!!!

I think I was 3 months when my mother started (very slowly) with me, but then I was a monster (almost 13lbs at birth) and there was no way I was surviving on milk. Still a big difference in development between 2 months and 3 months! (and I did have very bad reflux)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

F$#*ing mosquitos! Its only fecking April and one got into our room Sunday night. I've about 5 itchy big bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My moods have been stable throughout pregnancy until the last few days, I just bawled my eyes out because my mother asked did I want to meet up for "a waddle". I all but hung up on her which is a bit unreasonable! I just feel like a freak show around my family which is horrible - I wish they would treat me normally and not make constant references to how "huge" I am. I've still got a good few weeks to go too, and I'm pretty average sized. I feel terrible avoiding people but it's just annoying me at this stage. I also know I'm being too sensitive. ..

I've been looking forward to this long weekend for an age as I'm just exhausted from work and now it's here I don't know what to do with myself. I just cleaned out a few presses in the kitchen and don't know what to do now. I just feel restless and annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

My moods have been stable throughout pregnancy until the last few days, I just bawled my eyes out because my mother asked did I want to meet up for "a waddle". I all but hung up on her which is a bit unreasonable! I just feel like a freak show around my family which is horrible - I wish they would treat me normally and not make constant references to how "huge" I am. I've still got a good few weeks to go too, and I'm pretty average sized. I feel terrible avoiding people but it's just annoying me at this stage. I also know I'm being too sensitive. ..

I've been looking forward to this long weekend for an age as I'm just exhausted from work and now it's here I don't know what to do with myself. I just cleaned out a few presses in the kitchen and don't know what to do now. I just feel restless and annoyed!

Contrary, I know exactly how you feel.. I've had a relatively good pregnancy mood wise too, I suffer bad from confidence issues and for the year before pregnancy I had lost a huge amount of weight, I've kept some of the weight off during pregnancy and am very proud of myself. But last week my mother started.. And boy did she start.. She thinks I should hide my bump. She wants me to wear loose flowing clothes and coats to hide it.. She brought out size 18 and 20 (I'm a 14 now) shirts and coats and has been trying to get me to wear them and keeps making references to my size and making sighing sounds when I walk into room. I went back to work in bits after lunch on Monday and cried for rest of day and few times since.. I don't understand why people would make such horrible comments to us because we're pregnant, it's the most natural thing in the world, it's a bloody baby we're carrying up our jumpers, not smuggling heroin or something.. Plus it's their grandchild or nephew\niece.. Some people just need a good kick in the head..
    I am going to distance myself from them for few days and take a break from that crap, don't need the stress.. Maybe you can do the same.. If they make issue from it, tell them exactly why you need break from them.. Take it easy this weekend, put your feet up and enjoy the chocolate..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Jeez girls that's awful, no one should make you feel in any way shameful of a wonderful bump!

Honestly I've never been more proud of my body than I have been in pregnancy, it's doing amazing things, creating new life and looking after me at the same time and no one should ever make you feel being a bit rounder is somehow something to hide, show your bump with pride:D

• Advertisement

Missfire that's horrible, ignore her! A break is definitely needed! I think nobody can get under our skin more than our mothers. ..
    SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Jeez girls
    that's awful, no one should make you feel in any way shameful of a wonderful bump!

I don't think they're being deliberately mean, it's just such a source of amusement for them and our makes me so self-conscious. I wish they'd just say "you look well" or better yet, nothing at all! I'm still working full-time and will be for another 4 weeks. I'm getting around no problem, going for walks (without waddling!), yoga class, doing lots of extra things around the house etc, yet since the bump appeared around 24 weeks I've been treated like "comedy pregnant lady". It's so flipping annoying. I know I'm being too sensitive which is annoying too!

Since I'm on a rant - I'm so sick of my maternity clothes! I'm okay-ish for work but bought hardly anything casual and with the better weather I have nothing to wear. It feels like a waste to buy anything at this stage but I'd give anything for a nice pair of jeans and a few nice bright t-shirts. I could go off to the shops today and treat myself to something only I'm too bloody overtired and grumpy! Jeez - I need to snap out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Missfire that's horrible, ignore her! A break is definitely needed! I think nobody can get under our skin more than our mothers. ..

I don't think they're being deliberately mean, it's just such a source of amusement for them and our makes me so self-conscious. I wish they'd just say "you look well" or better yet, nothing at all! I'm still working full-time and will be for another 4 weeks. I'm getting around no problem, going for walks (without waddling!), yoga class, doing lots of extra things around the house etc, yet since the bump appeared around 24 weeks I've been treated like "comedy pregnant lady". It's so flipping annoying. I know I'm being too sensitive which is annoying too!

Since I'm on a rant - I'm so sick of my maternity clothes! I'm okay-ish for work but bought hardly anything casual and with the better weather I have nothing to wear. It feels like a waste to buy anything at this stage but I'd give anything for a nice pair of jeans and a few nice bright t-shirts. I could go off to the shops today and treat myself to something only I'm too bloody overtired and grumpy! Jeez - I need to snap out of it!

You know what's really pretty and will fit a bump because it doesn't close, kimonos!! I just got a gorgeous one in River Island during the week and there's loads in most shops now, they're really light and pretty but leave plenty of bump room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

In the last 4 years I rarely bought any clothes for myself and hubby is updating our wardrobes. Great for him he's doing his now but I'm waiting as I'm a whale now and nothing will fit if I buy now. So I'm watching him enjoy his new clothes and I'm stuck waiting..

As for been 40 weeks pregnant I am not happy. I went on time first time and stupidly thought I'd go early. Never happened so induction next week.

Add to this my child minder who offered wasn't asked is been unreliable the last two weeks and doesn't know if she can take him next Thursday for me.

If there's one thing to set me off its people commenting on weight during pregnancy. Like pregnant women are just dying to hear your opinion on their bodies!

If there's one thing to set me off its people commenting on weight during pregnancy. Like pregnant women are just dying to hear your opinion on their bodies!

Yet everyone seems to think its okay to say it though... "Jesus you're HUGE!! you sure there's not two in there?!"... Yeah thanks for that, cause you know I'm feeling magnificent at the moment..

MissFire wrote: »
    Yet everyone seems to think its okay to say it though... "Jesus you're HUGE!! you sure there's not two in there?!"... Yeah thanks for that, cause you know I'm feeling magnificent at the moment..

"And thank you for suggesting that the top class educated professionals that have been monitoring my pregnancy for the past 28 weeks are unable to detect a second child that has not been present on any scans to date" :rolleyes:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    "And thank you for suggesting that the top class educated professionals that have been monitoring my pregnancy for the past 28 weeks are unable to detect a second child that has not been present on any scans to date" :rolleyes:

I got the story about a 'friend of a friend' yesterday having scans the whole way through pregnancy and there was only one baby but she gave birth to twins... But they should've known cause she was huge...

Oh yes indeedy..

I got the story about a 'friend of a friend' yesterday having scans the whole way through pregnancy and there was only one baby but she gave birth to twins... But they should've known cause she was huge...

Oh yes indeedy..

Definitely. Cause there was no way all the Dopplers could have detected that second heartbeat and definitely no way the measurements of the bump at the routine checkups and the feeling of the abdominal area could possibly have alerted her to the fact that there was twins in there :pac:

Oh yes indeedy..

I know someone whose twins must be 10/11 at this stage. She found out the day she gave birth that she was having two. As far as I remember she only one very early scan and no.2 wasn't detected. People thought she was taking the p1ss but she only had one of everything, she was not prepared for two babies! She gave birth at 37/38 weeks. I saw her a couple of weeks before and she wasn't particularly massive. Her case would be VERY unusual I'd imagine.

Roesy wrote: »
    I know someone whose twins must be 10/11 at this stage. She found out the day she gave birth that she was having two. As far as I remember she only one very early scan and no.2 wasn't detected. People thought she was taking the p1ss but she only had one of everything, she was not prepared for two babies! She gave birth at 37/38 weeks. I saw her a couple of weeks before and she wasn't particularly massive. Her case would be VERY unusual I'd imagine.

It's probably pretty much unheard of, but maybe slightly more likely to happen 11 years ago!
    I think it would be a miracle if it were to go unnoticed nowadays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Really sorry to hear that, contrary. I don't think you are being too sensitive at all. It's not like once we're pregnant, some switch is flipped in our heads and we love to be told we're all massive! It is mad that some people think that being pregnant makes it open season to comment on you however they want. I'm still early days yet but I can see it being something that will really get to me, you're not alone! Hope you feel less stressed soon.

I'm sorry to post here again, especially when I really have nothing to complain about, but I am EXHAUSTED. I came home from work too tired to eat and I'm lying here on the couch feeling sick. 3.5 weeks left in work - I'm grand when I'm there but the evenings are hell after the long day and the commute. I need to eat but my husband is at football and I'm just too tired to cook for myself. I'm not even hungry these days - it's like the first trimester all over again! I also need to iron clothes for tomorrow. I wish I had a butler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

That's a totally legitimate thing to complain about.

January wrote: »
    That's a totally legitimate thing to complain about.

Thanks! I ironed my trousers and top for tomorrow, everything else can wait! I think I might be a bit dehydrated which can't be helping - I've been drinking a good bit but maybe not enough this far along and when combined with the warmer weather

That's totally something worth complaining about. I find the total exhaustion the worst thing about pregnancy as you're just not expecting it and no-one understands just how tough it is. You'd do this stuff if you could, you're just not physically capable at the moment x

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

When does nesting kick in... Nearly killed me to sweep and mop the floor and do the dishes tonight! :P
    And just got in touch with a lady to do my ironing for me soo wrecked in the evenings after work I just can't be arsed..
    Think I'll end up paying a cleaner to nest for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Totally with you SarahBear!! I'm finding bending to fill the dishwasher challenging! Been trying to get Mr Dustie to do my nesting for me.. it was all going well until he developed tendinitis in his wrist and wont take painkillers. Cleaners are the way to go me thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I'm 18 weeks so a bit early for nesting but I can relate to the tiredness. I am exhausted! Sometimes even in work I just imagine crawling into the disabled toilet to sleep!!

My bellybutton is stretching now, it's getting shallow and weird looking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Sarah Bear my nesting kicked in over the weekend, six hours solid of cleaning on Friday (normally putting put the clothes is a task of monumental effort :D). I'm 27 weeks so it was about time!! I'm absolutely, definitely getting a cleaner though, if it means I have more time with baby and fewer domestics with himself over whose turn it is to Hoover then it's worth it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

It will kick in at some point only happened for me when I had a week to go with both mine. Now 3 days after given birth I'm gone on cleaning binge

Advertisement