Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Ah thank god it isn't only me who is suffering, I'll be sitting in my underwear indoors fanning myself for all of May I'd say

I'm struggling to think how women cope with pregnancy in the height of summer... Thank God I was pregnant for winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm due at the end of July and its supposed to be a scorcher this year so should be interesting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I don't know which is the worst evil, been pregnant in the warm months or having a newborn screaming from the heat?!
    This time last year I had Jack and he hated the heat, he was 5 weeks old when really hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Oh forgot to moan about my restless legs, my legs want to get out of their skin right now, it's driving me insane! And also cramps at night, woken up at 3am with a horrible leg cramp, very horrible!:(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My mother and aunts got one or no scans in the 80's, people forget that not long ago you were lucky to get 1-2, never mind more than that. I'm convinced this made it easier to deal with, just waiting blindly for so long, because scans were so rare and there weren't places that offer them privately like they do now, so it wasn't even a possibility to get one, you wouldn't be pinning everything on it. We've all become too used to instant/almost instant gratification and it makes it so difficult to wait for things! My mum agrees, when you expected nothing you couldn't get worked up wishing you could get it sooner!

There were lots of other things in the 80's in Ireland that were different regarding pregnancy and childbirth. - 13 weeks maternity leave for one thing. Infant death almost 3 times higher than today. Symphysiotomy was performed until 1992. Contraception was hard to come by, even as a married couple, (you could practically forget it if you were not married) and even when another pregnancy meant death for the mother. If you miscarried, you were waved off dismissively and told to keep trying by your GP. Nobody discussed miscarriage. Stillborn babies didn't even get a christian burial. Nobody mourned or acknowledged those babies except the mother who was told to shut up if she tried to speak about it.

I personally think that women from that decade and decades up to this very day put up with a substandard service regarding our reproductive, ante-natal and post-natal health for far too long in this country at great risk to ourselves. And now our briefly-improved health service are withdrawing anomaly scans, dating scans, and cutting down on ante-natal care around the country.

Perinatal mortality rates still hover around 100 a year since 2002. We rank 6th in a table of maternal deaths. Women still have to travel to terminate for medical (or any other) reasons. In my local hospital there is a full year of a waiting list for a gynecologist. I expect more than what our mothers, grandmothers and aunts suffered in this country all those years ago, but it seems like the ante-natal services are slowly sliding back to those days. A grim thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Neyite wrote: »
    There were lots of other things in the 80's in Ireland that were different regarding pregnancy and childbirth. - 13 weeks maternity leave for one thing. Infant death almost 3 times higher than today. Symphysiotomy was performed until 1992. Contraception was hard to come by, even as a married couple, (you could practically forget it if you were not married) and even when another pregnancy meant death for the mother. If you miscarried, you were waved off dismissively and told to keep trying by your GP. Nobody discussed miscarriage. Stillborn babies didn't even get a christian burial. Nobody mourned or acknowledged those babies except the mother who was told to shut up if she tried to speak about it.

I personally think that women from that decade and decades up to this very day put up with a substandard service regarding our reproductive, ante-natal and post-natal health for far too long in this country at great risk to ourselves. And now our briefly-improved health service are withdrawing anomaly scans, dating scans, and cutting down on ante-natal care around the country.

Perinatal mortality rates still hover around 100 a year since 2002. We rank 6th in a table of maternal deaths. Women still have to travel to terminate for medical (or any other) reasons. In my local hospital there is a full year of a waiting list for a gynecologist. I expect more than what our mothers, grandmothers and aunts suffered in this country all those years ago, but it seems like the ante-natal services are slowly sliding back to those days. A grim thought.

Thankfully now we are all aware of higher fact that we deserve more and are happy and willing to advocate for our rights and those of our unborn babies. Back then there was a lot of automatic respect and deference to anyone who was a doctor. Now we have respect for the very difficult and important job they do which is warranted but the deference is gone and no one (or at least fewer people) is scared to say " hold on a second, why do you want to do that, what are my options, I'd like another opinion please".

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

That's a great point made by Neyite.

While me longing for another scan may seem excessive (and maybe it is) I don't think it's an uncommon feeling after losing a baby. I lost my first baby only 7 weeks before learning I was pregnant with this one so a lot of anxiety was to be expected. If paying for a private scan is what gets women like me through their pregnancy then so be it.

There may not have been as many scans performed for the last generation but that doesn't mean we should be the same now. In my case had I have had my last pregnancy in the 80's I'd probably not be pregnant again now. My miscarriage had to be medically managed as my body was not recognising the loss. The doctor in Holles St even told me this could have gone on for another month. It was under her advice that I had a D&C because as she put it ''you want to grieve and heal, not carry this lost pregnancy into the new year''. She was totally right! Had I not had that D&C, I would not be carrying this baby right now. As hard as it was, I'm so glad I listened to her. I never expected to get pregnant again so quickly, and if some extra scans and reassurance from my doctor gets me through the pregnancy with as little stress/anxiety as possible then bring it on! :)

For the record, I had a scan last week at 15 weeks and the baby has gotten so big and was sleeping with his/her hand in his/her mouth, so cute! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

My moan for today.. It took the bus a full hour and a half to get home from my antenatal class today!! It only took half an hour to get into the hospital this morning and an hr and a half to get home!
    Stop the bus I want a wee wee!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

How strong do babies get in utero!??! My little divil woke me up at 4.30 this morning doing the can-can in my belly and didn't let me go back to sleep until after 6. Good practice for the sleepless nights ahead I guess :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Jerrica wrote: »
    How strong do babies get in utero!??! My little divil woke me up at 4.30 this morning doing the can-can in my belly and didn't let me go back to sleep until after 6. Good practice for the sleepless nights ahead I guess :pac:

I swear my little one has spurs on inside there.. I'm blaming all the talk of Garth Brooks on the radio.. Line dancing classes start around 3.30am and last til around 5.. Not helpful when I'm for work at 6.30am..

• Advertisement

Very strong :D

January wrote: »
    Very strong :D

:D

So it's normal for your uterus to feel like the inside of a boxing bag??!?! WOO!! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my 1st was long and gave me external bruising kicking me!! they are very strong. Then they look all small and innocent when they are born!!!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    my 1st was long and gave me external bruising kicking me!!

Get out!! So you could see bruising on the outside? Oh Moonbeam, that must have been paaainful!

While I'm in a moaning mood, the bump is getting quite uncomfortable after I eat, I tend to feel really bloated and I adopt the pregnant waddle until everything starts getting digested. That's normal too... right? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I've got a tummy bug :( no appetite for the last 2 days. Must've caught it from my 3 yr old although his only symptoms were that he was slightly off his food. Feel really really rotten and exhausted from lack of sleep.

Ah sorry to hear Karmella hope you feel better soon!

I've had a very achy day, been having those almost dull period type aches for a week on and off, pelvis very sore today and even sides are a bit sore, since I'm taking another stretch with the little guy but feel a bit meh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Get out!! So you could see bruising on the outside? Oh Moonbeam, that must have been paaainful!

While I'm in a moaning mood, the bump is getting quite uncomfortable after I eat, I tend to feel really bloated and I adopt the pregnant waddle until everything starts getting digested. That's normal too... right? :o

You sound exactly how I feel right now, and I'm Getting crankier by the second.. Trying to sit on couch and watch TV but all I wanna do is flop on the bed til the food moves..

There's a poster here who's baby lodge itself in her ribs and broke her ribs.

January wrote: »
    There's a poster here who's baby lodge itself in her ribs and broke her ribs.

Please tell me you're joking!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Oh I remember that... No joke
    Ever since I hold my ribs when little one starts to move round high up

• Advertisement

Gah my pelvis seems to be disintegrating, fine getting up this morning then once I'm sitting still for a while I can barely move, pains everywhere in pelvis:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Please tell me you're joking!!:eek:

oh no, no joke. Our baby dislocated 3 of my ribs. they are back in place now but the muscles are all inflamed and i can take anything to bring down the inflammation. sitting for any longer than 30 mins is hell.

i have to bring hot water bottles and rolled towels with me everywhere i go. havent been in work for months

John Mason wrote: »
    oh no, no joke. Our baby dislocated 3 of my ribs. they are back in place now but the muscles are all inflamed and i can take anything to bring down the inflammation. sitting for any longer than 30 mins is hell.

i have to bring hot water bottles and rolled towels with me everywhere i go. havent been in work for months

You poor thing!!:(:(

I honestly didn't know that could happen!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

You poor thing!!:(:(

I honestly didn't know that could happen!

its really common apparently because your ribcage needs to expand to allow the baby to move up. it happened to a 2 of my friends as well.

the joys of pregnancy :):)

John Mason wrote: »

Holy moly, that sounds incredibly sore. Is your baby particularly high up or is this something that can happen to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Holy moly, that sounds incredibly sore. Is your baby particularly high up or is this something that can happen to anyone?

I heard it happens more to women who aren't tall. The baby needs somewhere to go, and in women with shorter torsos the baby can just make room for itself in your ribcage! this is the one time I'm glad to be tall!

Pregnancy has been such a big learning curve, I'm going to rub his little legs next time he starts kicking the life out of me!:)

Pelvis really wrecked today have horrible ligament pains under bump in pelvis area which don't hurt until I move, feels like I've pulled something, which I guess in essence I have with all the stretching and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I haven’t had many moans so far as I’ve been so lucky during this pregnancy, but my moan today is that my little one made a complete idiot out of me yesterday! I realised on Sunday night that I hadn’t had much movement all day, still none when I lay down flat which is normally feel something. Still very little in the morning so I rang the hospital, they told me to drink something cold and lie down which I did (on the table in the canteen in work :pac:) but still nothing. So I went up to the emergency room and was put on a trace and of course baby decides to become a samba dancer while I was up there! Jumping around like a mad yoke all yesterday evening and today. Glad I went up though, they couldn’t have been nicer and they treat reduced movement very seriously. They wouldn’t let me go until I’d had a little scan and everything looks great, baby measuring perfectly for 32 weeks and weighs 1.8kg or almost 4lbs already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I thought things were finally on the up after I got over the thrush, then strep throat, then scarlet fever.

I could lie on my left side in bed without any pain. This seemed like a breakthrough and a revelation!
    But the pressure I've been feeling above my pubic bone today has been catastrophic - makes it really awkward to do just about anything! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I was about to join the "pain under the ribs" moan group but I managed to get it under control before that. What helps me is a length of elastic bandage. I wrap my ribcage with it just under my boobs and presto - discomfort is gone! I can sit on the coach watching tv for hours & hours again or spend a day at the on the computer! not sure if that's a good thing or bad... before I had to get up for a stretch every half an hour or so.

Advertisement