Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first road rage incident!

Options
  • 18-12-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Was approaching a roundabout and knowing that the road would split into two lanes I pulled in somewhat to allow cars behind to pass. Sure enough one did, then just as I was almost at the line a van pulled around me and nearly pushed me off the road. I slapped the van to let him know I existed, but he was not happy about this fact. He wound down the window and started yelling at me, so I bet a hasty retreat across the footpath and junction to the left onto the cycle lane (the next junction is to the hospital, its not busy...anyways not the best thing to do but I wanted to get away). While I was doing that he had sped up and pulled in ahead of me, and started yelling at me again. I told him (well shouted back, I wasn't going near the van) that he nearly knocked me off, him shouting back that he didn't, blah blah. When he started to get out I legged it, luckily he didn't follow me further.

The thing that really annoyed me was that either way I was in a bad situation, I'm sure I would've run into him or been run into if I hadn't hit the van, but either way I still got a run in. The fact that he pulled in up the road to yell at me, getting in the way of other traffic, confirmed to me what a giant asshat he was.

The other annoying thing is I went closer to the footpath to be polite to other road users and as reward this happened. From now on I'm sticking to the middle of the lane and I don't care how slow I may appear to drivers.

So that was my friday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Moving over to your left was your first mistake. In Dublin you must cycle aggresively and selfishly. This is especially true when approaching roundabouts. If you move over to the left, this is giving all and sundry permission to overtake you. "Give and inch and they'll take a mile" ..most apt when applied to cycling in Dublin.

Oh and another thing, never bang the side of a van... I did that before and the side door slid open and two bouncer types jumped from the van and ran after me...great for improving your sprinting skills! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yup, it happens, unfortunately.

I found out pretty early on that being "considerate" doesn't always work: move closer to the kerb to let cars pass easier and a lot of them simply end up trying to squeeze past against oncoming traffic.

Taking the lane early before a maneuver will likely annoy people, but it's best to be safe. Where I live is right after a pretty dangerous bend, there has been at least one fatal crash on it since I lived here. What I did at first was tried to turn as late as possible to stop holding people up, but then I was getting stranded at the side of the road and had to dismount and cross with my bike. I have since just indicated before the bend, moved out into the middle of it to stop overtaking (people have actually overtaken me on it, lunacy!) and held out my arm for turning. Then if traffic is coming against me I sit slightly in the middle of the road. If a car clipped me trying to undertake they would send me straight into oncoming traffic. Some might say this is "inconsiderate" again, but if I was in a car they wouldn't be able to undertake anyway. Of course, if there is no car I don't need to stop and can just make the turn.

So far, no one has objected to me doing this and I feel a lot safer and more confident not having people swerving past me around a bend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

@ 07; Yeah I know that now! This particular junction/road isn't that busy compared to the other 4 or 5 on the roundabout so I figured it would be ok. Never again!

@Dirk; its funny on another roundabout I use frequently I know I have to cross the road again about 200m down so I go for the middle of the road from the beginning to save having to cross through the traffic and have found it worked better than what I did before, where like you I had to dismount. I guess it comes down to planning a strategy before you get to junctions and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Moving over to your left was your first mistake. In Dublin you must cycle aggresively and selfishly. This is especially true when approaching roundabouts. If you move over to the left, this is giving all and sundry permission to overtake you. "Give and inch and they'll take a mile" ..most apt when applied to cycling in Dublin.

Oh and another thing, never bang the side of a van... I did that before and the side door slid open and two bouncer types jumped from the van and ran after me...great for improving your sprinting skills! :D

Typical dub! Nobody mentioned Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I had my first one a while ago. I stuck out my arm to move lanes and a taxi behind me slowed down to let me though, or so I thought. As I moved over, he sped up and laid on the horn and sped by leaving me screaming at him like a deranged mental looney.
    Felt good though - "I had my hand out, what are you blind???".
    I love my bike. You just can't work up that kind of aggression as a pedestrian!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

It's a weird psychological thing with some drivers that they have to overtake a cyclist ahead no matter what the situation, even if there's a red light 20m ahead. If it was another vehicle travelling at the same speed as a bike, they are likely to patiently wait behind.

Now I appreciate that in most situations it requires a lot less effort to overtake a bike than a car, but I still dont understand it. Is it a superiority complex as in "I the driver must pass the inferior person on the push bike"?

Out of interest, I have recently been driving my car with "L" plates on as my OH is learning to drive. I have noticed that, even though I usually drive at a steady, safe pace that shouldn't overly inconvenience anyone behind me, certain drivers have been tailgating me and overtaking for no reason. They just end up plodding along at the same speed directly in front of me. Is this the same superiority complex over learner drivers...hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

z_topaz wrote: »
    I had my first one a while ago. I stuck out my arm to move lanes and a taxi behind me slowed down to let me though, or so I thought. As I moved over, he sped up and laid on the horn and sped by leaving me screaming at him like a deranged mental looney.
    Felt good though - "I had my hand out, what are you blind???".
    Worth bearing in mind that indicating does not confer right of way, you still have to wait until the lane you want to move into is clear. I realise in this situation you thought he was letting you in.

hacktavist wrote: »

Oh I'm sorry...Here this better?

"Moving over to your left was your first mistake. In Dublin (or anywhere else for that matter) you must cycle aggresively and selfishly. This is especially true when approaching roundabouts. If you move over to the left, this is giving all and sundry permission to overtake you. "Give and inch and they'll take a mile" ..most apt when applied to cycling in Dublin (or anywhere else for that matter).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

blorg wrote: »
    Worth bearing in mind that indicating does not confer right of way, you still have .

Look, here I see cyclists with the arm out but never looking.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

In Dublin you must cycle aggresively and selfishly.

In Dublin (or anywhere else for that matter) you just have to be assertive. Aggression and selfishness will land you in deeper sh!t. There's a happy medium between meekly shuffling along in the gutter and eye-popping, me-against-the-world behaviour, neither of which work.

• Advertisement

The other thing I'm a bit worried about is that Galway is a small place and this happened on my daily commute route, hope I don't bump into this guy again! I doubt he'd remember me (since he can't even remember the rules of the road!) but you never know. anyways I'm off to Dunnes now, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The other thing I'm a bit worried about is that Galway is a small place and this happened on my daily commute route, hope I don't bump into this guy again! I doubt he'd remember me (since he can't even remember the rules of the road!) but you never know.

Quick, order a new bike. That way he won't recognise you. Do it now, for safety's sake. Now!

Lumen wrote: »
    Quick, order a new bike. That way he won't recognise you. Do it now, for safety's sake. Now!

lol the life of a poor student does not lend itself to bike buying. I do intend to buy myself a folding bike as a present if/when I get a scholarship though.

In Dublin (or anywhere else for that matter) you just have to be assertive. Aggression and selfishness will land you in deeper sh!t. There's a happy medium between meekly shuffling along in the gutter and eye-popping, me-against-the-world behaviour, neither of which work.

+1 "aggresively" was not a good choice. Assertive is definitly better. Another good word is "confidence" I think you have to cycle with confidence if you want to get anywhere. Beign "polite" doesn't work in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

hacktavist wrote: »

They are always doing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Moving over to your left was your first mistake. In Dublin you must cycle aggresively and selfishly.

+1

You should take as much of the road as you need to be safe. If a driver behind you has a problem with that then tough-they can wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

a few years ago 4 or 5? I was on N11 slip rd, and some absolute loon job, after having a heated 'discussion' on the incident, reversed back up the slip road, stopped, reved the engine like he'd seen too many movies and then dropped the hand brake and sped towards me! I got off the bike and up onto a grass verge and over a concrete railing, he probably wasnt trying to run me over literally, but it scared the shit out of me thats for sure.

The Lesson: asshats are asshats and confronting them just isnt worth it, most dont think, and comfronting them just isn't worth it. you'll end up takling to the wall anyway and more pissed of with them not listening to them.

Much better to just use the adrennaline coursing through your legs to get in some high quality training sprints or burning the touch paper efforts, screaming while doing so is optional ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

DBCyc wrote: »
    It's a weird psychological thing with some drivers that they have to overtake a cyclist ahead no matter what the situation, even if there's a red light 20m ahead. If it was another vehicle travelling at the same speed as a bike, they are likely to patiently wait behind.

Now I appreciate that in most situations it requires a lot less effort to overtake a bike than a car, but I still dont understand it. Is it a superiority complex as in "I the driver must pass the inferior person on the push bike"?
    Yeah, this is a bit mad, but it keeps happening to me too. It is particularly annoying on roads with speed bumps, where the car lashes past you, and then you have to brake when it slows down for the next bump.

I've taken to having a little chat with the driver where traffic conditions permit, and asking if it was really worth all that effort and risk to overtake.

Advertisement